Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The Star Wars Holiday Special was on TV and should be included. :colbert:

You've made Lumpy sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Jango wasn't Mandalorian. Boba was his clone, so neither was he.

Is this guy actually Mandalorian?

My guess is it's the guy with Boba's armor from the short interludes in the Aftermath trilogy.

(Which would mean no, he isn't a Mandalorian.)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Madurai posted:

Wait, when did Jango get defrocked from being Mandalorian?

I'm not sure the source beyond an old starwars.com article, but from Wookieepedia:

Jango Fett was born in the years prior to the Invasion of Naboo. He claimed to have been born on the planet Concord Dawn, a Mandalorian world, but the exact authenticity of this claim was unknown. He wore Mandalorian armor after becoming a bounty hunter and assassin for hire, a fact that led officials of Mandalore to disavow any connection to Fett, claiming he was simply a bounty hunter who somehow stole an artifact from their planet's troubled past.

E: Of course this is a page that exists: https://www.bobafettfanclub.com/news/fett-fact-check/is-boba-fett-a-mandalorian-or-does-he-just-wear-mandalorian-armor/

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The 501st and other Boba diehards hate this if you bring it up. I made that mistake at Celebration.

I think it was another member of the 501st who told me, but yes there are diehards who are crazy for a character that amounted to very little in the films.

For them I made this:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

Would Boba Fett's mystique and popularity have survived if this photo had been widely circulated way back when:

:v:

Bob A. Fett, C.P.A.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Oscar Isaacs is a great actor in person, but a poor voice actor.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

jivjov posted:

I wouldn't go all the way down to "poor", but yeah, I get the impression that he's used to emoting with his face and body more, so trying to do it all in voice was stifling him a little.

Yeah, "poor" might have been a bit much. Gwendolyn Christie was good though!

E: Probably for the same reasonas Anthony Daniels, actually, since they both would've done a whole lot of ADR.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The 3rd (or 4th I guess?) episode started getting me to warm up to the show. It wasn't a great start, I'd agree. My 6 year old loves it, my 9 year old is similarly on the fence. But it's Star Wars.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

The movies have always been most important, though. My dad finally got seeing Solo recently on dvd and he said he was enjoying it until Darth Maul showed up because it completely took him out of the movie; said he had no idea where that came from. I told him he came back in the cartoons and he said it would've been nice if that had been explained in the movie, because as far as he's concerned Darth Maul has been dead since he was chopped in half and fell down a bottomless pit in 1999.

As I've said before, it doesn't strike me as terribly fair to make it incumbent on people to seek these things out so they understand what's going on in the movie they've bought their ticket for. My dad doesn't have the time or really the interest in watching children's cartoons to get the necessary backstory for the movie. In your opinion, is it unreasonable for him to be annoyed like that?

Unreasonable? I don't know. But I don't think it matters if you knew he was still alive or not. You know now, and now the question is "how?" and there are ways to find out. I suspect there'll be more of that explored later anyway.

I mean it's almost a trope that a long-dead badguy suddenly resurfaces.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Ackmena is canon, even if the Holiday Special no longer is, thanks to "A Certain Point of View."

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Do they have an after-show thing like they did with Rebels?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I think he's a fake ex-TIE pilot, but yeah.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

MonsterEnvy posted:

I imagine he is a real Tie pilot. But I doubt he was as in to the Empire as his Imperial Tattoo's suggest

Who would he have flown TIEs for if not the Empire?

Anywhere, here's why I say I don't think he was either:

https://www.starwars.com/databank/griff-halloran posted:

One of the Aces that flies defense for the Colossus platform, Griff Halloran flies an extensively modified TIE-based racer that emphasizes raw power. No one is quite certain whether or not Griff is a veteran of the Imperial Navy, or whether he just flies old Imperial colors to intimidate his opponents.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Reverse gentrification?

Suddenly a fan of George again....

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

banned from Starbucks posted:

so is there any actual dogfighting in this show about fighter pilots who fly fighter planes ?

This is DS9.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I'm excited about that!

https://nerdist.com/disney-announces-rogue-one-tv-series-with-cassian-andor/

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, Cassian was either Fulcrum or a recruiter for Fulcrum, I can’t remember which.

I am all about this announcement. Luna is a great actor but he was underutilized in Rogue One. I could care less about seeing K2 again, but hopefully General Draven is involved in some fashion. That guy was great.

And Antoc Merrick (Blue Leader)!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Why did the Clone Troopers all have Jango's accent? Accents aren't genetic, and Jango wasn't the one training them. Shouldn't they have Kimonoan accents?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Eh. Works for me, I guess.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I love TIE Fighter

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Haha, yes. I use it for modeling/crafting stuff too.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yes! I knew I recognized it, I just couldn't place it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

We did Wookiee Life Day today

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

They're going to Takodana, and considering probably at this moment, Poe is on Jaku meeting with Liet Kynes, or captured.

Who? Lor San Tekka you mean?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Oh. I dunno what that references.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I saw the last half of it when they suddenly cut to someone on the floor pushing merch.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Just have Eckstein do it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Rocksicles posted:

The ex imperial dude in the Aftermath books is gay and in a relationship, he's also a savage drunk and a top notch badass.

"Wendig’s Aftermath trilogy actually has an openly gay main character — a first for Star Wars.
Sinjir Rath Velus is a former Imperial loyalty officer, who joins the New Republic. He’s an alcoholic, a cynic, and a skilled torturer. He also happens to have no interest whatsoever in women, as we learn in Aftermath, the first book of the trilogy. In the sequel Aftermath: Life Debt, Sinjir finds a boyfriend in New Republic slicer Conder Kyl." - Medium.com 2017

Wexley's aunts are gay also, but that's in the books. Plenty of representation there (the main character in Alphabet Squadron is bi), but that's hardly out front enough to make a major impact. It's probably even less so than this representation in Resistance.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

Sinjir is legit my favorite EU character of the new canon, and I hope we haven't seen the last of him now that Wendig is out as a Star Wars writer. Bring him into Resistance, a new show, let some other author play around with him, whatever. There's plenty of potential for greatness with him, he's so much fun while also having levels of true darkness in him.

They should bring Wendig back, his firing was bullshit.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

That one actually bothers me. I don't care if Tarkin's gay (I always assumed he was ace, actually), but he's very proper when it comes to military protocol. Abusing his power in that manner didn't really fit him as a character, imo.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Cross-Section posted:

I remember that being left somewhat ambiguous in the text itself, but it's been a while.

The author confirmed that was the intention, and in the audiobook, it's definitely Tarkin.

Neither of those mean anything canonically though, I don't think, so Disney gets to play it safe.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I got a spinning circle on the Disney+ app on my Roku, but since I have to go to work I guess that's okay (for now).

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Lester Shy posted:

I remember all of the message boards and fan magazines prior to Episode 1 hyping up Aurra Sing as the next big thing, "Babe Fett" etc. And then she's in the movie in a cutaway shot for like half a second and never shows up again in that trilogy.

So exactly like Boba Fett.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Joke Miriam posted:

Boba Fett stood around looking menacing, got handed a pre-cauptured Han Solo, and then tried to shoot vaguely above Luke's head as a blind man knocked him into a Shai'hulud. He looked cool and then did nothing and died. He's the Battleship Yamato of Star Wars characters.

All of this. Other than looking cool, I never understood his popularity.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

CornHolio posted:

I thought it was a great episode.

And... is that who I think it was?

I did too.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It's a fairly common western trope. The protagonist roaming from town to town, helping people in need each week.

Hell, even more modern shows like Quantum Leap.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

New Thrawn is superior to old EU Thrawn, he's nowhere near as invincible/perfect.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Or Solo

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I'm assuming Ahsoka will be in a flashback in the Mandalorian, not the present timeline. That was Deathwatch that rescued Din Djarin, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

This kind of goes with my thoughts that there's going to be a significant flashback portion next season. Ahsoka, Deathwatch, and now Fett?

At least I hope so. Fett should be dead by this point in time.