Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welcome goonlings to the Awful Book of the Month!
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM me. :siren:

Past Books of the Month

[for BOTM before 2015, refer to archives]

2015:
January: Italo Calvino -- Invisible Cities
February: Karl Ove Knausgaard -- My Struggle: Book 1.
March: Knut Hamsun -- Hunger
April: Liu Cixin -- 三体 ( The Three-Body Problem)
May: John Steinbeck -- Cannery Row
June: Truman Capote -- In Cold Blood
(Hiatus)
August: Ta-Nehisi Coates -- Between the World and Me
September: Wilkie Collins -- The Moonstone
October:Seth Dickinson -- The Traitor Baru Cormorant
November:Svetlana Alexievich -- Voices from Chernobyl
December: Michael Chabon -- Gentlemen of the Road

2016:
January: Three Men in a Boat (To say nothing of the Dog!) by Jerome K. Jerome
February:The March Up Country (The Anabasis) of Xenophon
March: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
April: Plain Tales from the Hills by Rudyard Kipling
May: Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima
June:The Vegetarian by Han Kang
July:Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees
August: Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
September:Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
October:Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
November:Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
December: It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis

2017:
January: Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut
February: The Plague by Albert Camus
March: The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin
April: The Conference of the Birds (مقامات الطیور) by Farid ud-Din Attar
May: I, Claudius by Robert Graves
June: Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky
July: Ficcionies by Jorge Luis Borges
August: My Life and Hard Times by James Thurber
September: The Peregrine by J.A. Baker
October: Blackwater Vol. I: The Flood by Michael McDowell
November: Aquarium by David Vann
December: Sir Gawaine and the Green Knight [Author Unknown]

January: Njal's Saga [Author Unknown]
February: The Sign of the Four by Arthur Conan Doyle
March: Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders
April: Twenty Days of Turin by Giorgio de Maria
May: Lectures on Literature by Vladimir Nabokov
June: The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe
July: Warlock by Oakley Hall
August: All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriott
September: The Magus by John Fowles

Current: I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara

Book available here:

https://www.amazon.com/Ill-Be-Gone-Dark-Obsessive/dp/0062319787

About the book:

quote:

#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • The haunting true story of the elusive serial rapist turned murderer who terrorized California during the 70s and 80s, and of the gifted journalist who died tragically while investigating the case—which was solved in April 2018.

quote:

For more than ten years, a mysterious and violent predator committed fifty sexual assaults in Northern California before moving south, where he perpetrated ten sadistic murders. Then he disappeared, eluding capture by multiple police forces and some of the best detectives in the area.

Three decades later, Michelle McNamara, a true crime journalist who created the popular website TrueCrimeDiary.com, was determined to find the violent psychopath she called "the Golden State Killer." Michelle pored over police reports, interviewed victims, and embedded herself in the online communities that were as obsessed with the case as she was.

I’ll Be Gone in the Dark—the masterpiece McNamara was writing at the time of her sudden death—offers an atmospheric snapshot of a moment in American history and a chilling account of a criminal mastermind and the wreckage he left behind. It is also a portrait of a woman’s obsession and her unflagging pursuit of the truth. Utterly original and compelling, it has been hailed as a modern true crime classic—one which fulfilled Michelle's dream: helping unmask the Golden State Killer.

quote:

I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer is a true crime book by Michelle McNamara about the Golden State Killer. The book was released posthumously on February 27, 2018, nearly two years after McNamara's death.

McNamara became interested in the Golden State Killer case and wrote an article for Los Angeles magazine about the serial killer in 2013. She then signed a book deal with HarperCollins and began to work on a book about the case.

McNamara herself coined the moniker "Golden State Killer"[1] to refer to the serial killer/rapist who had previously been referred to by various other names (e.g., Original Night Stalker, East Area Rapist, and the Diamond Knot Killer).[2]

McNamara died in her sleep on April 21, 2016, at the age of 46. At the time of her death, she had been in the middle of her hunt for the killer, and her book was unfinished. Crime writer Paul Haynes, investigative journalist Billy Jensen, and McNamara's widower Patton Oswalt helped finish the book after McNamara’s death.

The book – McNamara's debut – was released on February 27, 2018 (almost two years after her death) and reached the top of The New York Times Best Seller list for non-fiction.[3] The book remained on the list for fifteen weeks.[4]

I'll Be Gone in the Dark contains an introduction by Gillian Flynn and an afterword by Oswalt.

In April 2018, HBO announced that they had purchased the rights for I'll Be Gone in the Dark and were developing it into a documentary series.[5] Filming for the series began on April 24, 2018.[6]

On April 25, 2018, the Sacramento Police announced the April 24 arrest of a suspect in the Golden State Killer case: 72-year-old Joseph James DeAngelo (born November 8, 1945). DeAngelo, a former police officer in Auburn and Exeter, California,[7] was arrested and charged with six counts of first-degree murder.[8][9][10] Authorities in Sacramento, Orange, Santa Barbara, and Ventura counties are preparing charges against DeAngelo for all twelve of the murders in the Golden State Killer case.[11]

About the Author

quote:

Michelle Eileen McNamara (April 14, 1970 – April 21, 2016) was an American freelance writer and crime blogger.[1][2] She was the author of I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer, a true crime book about the Golden State Killer.[3] The book was released posthumously in February 2018 and is being adapted as an HBO documentary series.[4][5]

Themes

October means scary, right? Scare you right to DEATH!

Pacing

Read as thou wilt is the whole of the law.

Please post after you read!

Please bookmark the thread to encourage discussion.

References and Further Reading

The original "In the Footsteps of a Killer" article for the Los Angeles Times is here:

http://www.lamag.com/longform/in-the-footsteps-of-a-killer/

Final Note:

Thanks, and I hope everyone enjoys the book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
here is a timeline of joseph james deangelo's life plotted against the activities of the Golden State Killer

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Book: "Remember when we played?"

Me: This book is already too scary

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I don't think I'd be able to read it if I didn't know they caught the guy

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

For those who are ahead: it seems strange to me that they are pursuing the Ransacker charges still since McNamara makes it clear that the two suspects looked nothing alike. I wonder if there's DNA evidence there or something that will come up in the trial.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Nikita Khrushchev posted:

For those who are ahead: it seems strange to me that they are pursuing the Ransacker charges still since McNamara makes it clear that the two suspects looked nothing alike. I wonder if there's DNA evidence there or something that will come up in the trial.

yeah as far as i can tell, they haven't said what they have linking him to Visalia. the sketches of the Ransacker do actually resemble JJR at that time fairly closely, though; they're in the timeline I posted

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

chernobyl kinsman posted:

yeah as far as i can tell, they haven't said what they have linking him to Visalia. the sketches of the Ransacker do actually resemble JJR at that time fairly closely, though; they're in the timeline I posted

Oh, I see: I hadn't clicked on that yet. It's wild how much eyewitness testimony can vary. I was mugged once and couldn't possibly describe the muggers, while other people might be able to give a full, accurate description.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Started this one this morning. It's somewhat out of my wheelhouse, but seems interesting.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Just past the halfway point now, and I'm kinda wondering if it was all made worse by widely publicizing that the guy had a tiny dong.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
fun to look at deangelo's mugshots or his appearances in court and think "i know for a fact that man has a small penis"

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Oh, I see: I hadn't clicked on that yet. It's wild how much eyewitness testimony can vary. I was mugged once and couldn't possibly describe the muggers, while other people might be able to give a full, accurate description.

I was mugged once and I described the guy with the knife, and the guy who did not have the knife, as total opposites in terms of their clothing. Jaw hit the floor when I saw the surveillance tapes how my brain had flipped the details around.

Read this back when it came out and it was outstanding. I will chime in more later in the month when more people are further along. Was a big fan of Michelle.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
And I finished. My favorite part was probably the line that they'd definitely ruled out Tom Hanks. While I'm not really a true crime guy, the look at how and why McNamara went about investigating as a hobbyist was really interesting. It's definitely the sort of thing I could see getting obsessed about.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My school library actually had this one! Also it was on the reshelve cart so OP picked a popular book??

I scared myself a lot as a kid borrowing my mom's Stephen King; this may end up being a book she'd love.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i finished it and now my girlfriend's reading it and it's scaring her and she wants me to buy a gun

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
I read this in the summer and it was excellent. I echo an earlier poster that if I didn't know they had deangelo it would have been really horrific to read through. Amazing to think that Michelle's work is going to/might lead to closure for so many people.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

i finished it and now my girlfriend's reading it and it's scaring her and she wants me to buy a gun

wont help, he's already snuck in and emptied the clip

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

In a sense, this is my biggest problem with the book. All the comments about "Why didn't the call the police when they heard a dog bark or thought they heard something in the back yard." Like in all these new subdivisions gone up next to the walnut and orange orchards there aren't possums or racoons or whatever. I feel like it really promoted kneejerk police calling and sort of an active fear of everything.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ben Nevis posted:

In a sense, this is my biggest problem with the book. All the comments about "Why didn't the call the police when they heard a dog bark or thought they heard something in the back yard." Like in all these new subdivisions gone up next to the walnut and orange orchards there aren't possums or racoons or whatever. I feel like it really promoted kneejerk police calling and sort of an active fear of everything.

to be fair dude a bunch of people straight up saw the guy scrambling over rooftops or crawling through backyards and watching like 13 year olds through the bedroom windows and thought "nah this probably doesnt need to involve the police"

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I really wanted to read this with tou guys but it’s making me cringe too much to read about terrible things when they happened to real people. I’ll have to join you all next month.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Applewhite posted:

I really wanted to read this with tou guys but it’s making me cringe too much to read about terrible things when they happened to real people. I’ll have to join you all next month.

If anyone's having a hard time with this one and needs a break, the BoTM thread from August, for All Creatures Great and Small, is still active, is also nonfiction (well, fictionalized but based on true events) and is basically the exact polar opposite of this subject in every possible way.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I guess this one made everybody scared!

Suggestions for next month?

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Do you have any theme in particular or guidelines for choosing?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Do you have any theme in particular or guidelines for choosing?

I generally try to aim for a work that is accessible (ebook, clear prose style), off the beaten path for the forum (that is, not Dresden Files), and has artistic or intellectual merit. A good candidate has two of those three, a great one all three. If I'm out of ideas I just look at bookshelves till I get inspired. October and December are usually the only months I go for seasonal themes.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Hmm, then looking at my bookshelves I would like to suggest Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel or Herodotus' The Histories.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm about half way through and I'm struck by the story that emerges from the mosaic of individual encounters; the escalation from burglary, the numerous near apprehensions, etc. I wasn't expecting so many people to have seen him, chase, nearly catch him. The way the author pieces together a portrait "crowd sourced" from dozens of individual interactions as this ghost winds his way through the lives he destroys.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm about half way through and I'm struck by the story that emerges from the mosaic of individual encounters; the escalation from burglary, the numerous near apprehensions, etc. I wasn't expecting so many people to have seen him, chase, nearly catch him. The way the author pieces together a portrait "crowd sourced" from dozens of individual interactions as this ghost winds his way through the lives he destroys.

That really surprised me too.

He was seen by a lot of victims & families before during and after, neighbors, police, etc - I was amazed he was never caught. He literally vanished dozens of times. Even today except in the presence of DNA evidence the various jurisdictions do not agree on which cases are or are not his. It really shows how significant MO is in relation to the current methods of law enforcement investigation and criminalistics.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

This is what happens when you dont drop some McDowell in the October slot so really it's your own fault

#shouldabeenelementals

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
do the elementals for november

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
November isnt spooky!!

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
is too

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
November is turkeys and leafs, everyone knows that

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Hey turkeys and leaves can be scary, believe me. No I won’t explain how, use your imagination. And thanks for recommending a book I plan to check out.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

November is turkeys and leafs, everyone knows that

“I will honour Halloween in my heart, and try to keep it all the year."
-Charles Dickens, A Halloween Carol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Vote for next month's BOTM!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3872997

• Locked thread