Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Is anyone here interested in playing DnD? We did 5e last time and its all I know so preferably that. I don't know enough yet to DM so I was hoping to find a replacement here. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hell, depending on when I would be down. I've only played 3.5e before but I'm sure I could learn 5e

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Average Bear posted:

Is anyone here interested in playing DnD? We did 5e last time and its all I know so preferably that. I don't know enough yet to DM so I was hoping to find a replacement here. Thanks.

I've never played DnD is it fun and/or is it just stoners going "I shove my sword up the dragons rear end in a top hat lol"

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

P-Mack posted:

I've never played DnD is it fun and/or is it just stoners going "I shove my sword up the dragons rear end in a top hat lol"

It's got a lot of numbers and stats and rules. I haven't played in a long time but when I did it felt very much like a "game" and not just a role play session, but it definitely depends on your group.

I'm down by the way but I could not play Friday or Saturday nights which I know are the best times for a lot of people. If it was convinent for folks to make it like a Sunday afternoon thing or something I'd definitely play

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

P-Mack posted:

If you have a good group and a good DM who can keep things structured while still allowing player creativity it's a lot of fun

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

P-Mack posted:

It is fun. Stuff like that can happen I guess but it all has to play within the game's rules.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Sounds cool. On the off chance it actually works with my schedule I'd be down.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

D&D is really fun, it never really clicked with me until 5th edition. It's very well balanced on being lite while remaining D&D. I encourage all imps to give it a go, or just tabletop rgps in general.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

basically in tabletop rpgs you can do all the insane things you imagine during the months leading up to the insanely hyped release of whatever next big game is out that never delivers on its bullshit promises

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I would like to play, depending on the schedule.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Bolverkur posted:

basically in tabletop rpgs you can do all the insane things you imagine during the months leading up to the insanely hyped release of whatever next big game is out that never delivers on its bullshit promises

Yeah for example:

Dynamic horse testicles, they shrink in cold weather
Name your horse
You can scold or praise your horse
Whistle radius grows when the horse bond grows
Horse equipment is fully customizable, from the saddle that has golden pins to the hair
A Dutch preview said they put dreadlocks in the hair of their horse
Horses poo poo dynamically
Walk your horse around
Jump from your horse onto a moving train
Brush your horses. Arthur makes remarks about the horse depending on the horses gender
Store horses in stables so you have more backup horses
Horses die and can't be resurrected
Tell a horse to flee to spare it's life
Horses kick behind them. In one preview they even killed a man
Horses have personalities
Horses move sideways
Horses can learn tricks
John Marston and Bill Williamson have the same voice actor as the last game
Opossums play dead like in real life
Drive-able trains
The map contains 5 states: Lemoyne, Ambarino, New Hannover, West Elizabeth and NEW AUSTIN
Dead bodies won't despawn but decompose and attract scavengers
Newspapers return
Condensation and glowing heat from bullets
Snow trails
Hunted animals make terrible dying sounds
Animals have a different marker than dead bodies
You are able to pick up most items in the game
Different camera angles
Spilled oil has that "rainbow" look to it
192 music tracks from original composer
Physics just like real life
Honor system returns
Prostitutes can be used but no full nudity
Gunfight legendary shooters
You might find notes in drawers and learn useful information
Dynamic weather yet again confirmed

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I’ll play. I’d like to try this in a group that doesn’t just get disinterested and fall apart within weeks, and takes the tone and setting at least a little seriously *coughs suggestively*

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i played dnd in high school and would love to play again but also i will not

dionysian
Dec 30, 2012

P-Mack posted:

Yes.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Me: Okay. So I’m going to... move forward, and say, like, “for the Golden Hills!” and toss my mace at the enemy’s... *sighs* at 🅱️anos’s head.

DM: Ok roll.

Me: 13

DM: 🅱️anos wraps away from your toss with a snap of his Infinicuck Gauntlet. He dabs at you and shouts, “FOOL! ONLY THE SWORD OF ASSRAPAGE MAY HARM ME. NOW, PREPARE TO BE CUCKED!” as he jacks off his huge rod and fires a deadly semen spurt attack at your party!

Me: Okay hehe. Hold on I’ll be back soon gonna grab a drink *turns off mic*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpOqkz86_lg

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'd be interested in playing. My schedule is weird so I could only play every other week if the day fell on my day off or a weekend.

Something my live group did last year is that we rotated DM every session and did mostly episodic adventures so if someone couldn't show up we could play anyway. This also let everyone have a chance to have fun as a player and helped us all grasp the system a lot quicker since we all saw it from both sides. It looks like there's a decent number of people interested so it wouldn't be a bad idea to try, I think.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

GorfZaplen posted:

I'd be interested in playing. My schedule is weird so I could only play every other week if the day fell on my day off or a weekend.

Something my live group did last year is that we rotated DM every session and did mostly episodic adventures so if someone couldn't show up we could play anyway. This also let everyone have a chance to have fun as a player and helped us all grasp the system a lot quicker since we all saw it from both sides. It looks like there's a decent number of people interested so it wouldn't be a bad idea to try, I think.

That sounds cool. I’ve never DMed before but I’d be willing to try for a session as long as I had the chance to read up on it first

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

GorfZaplen posted:

That's a drat good idea

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lumpy the Cook posted:

DM: 🅱️anos wraps away from your toss with a snap of his Infinicuck Gauntlet. He dabs at you and shouts, “FOOL! ONLY THE SWORD OF ASSRAPAGE MAY HARM ME. NOW, PREPARE TO BE CUCKED!” as he jacks off his huge rod and fires a deadly semen spurt attack at your party!

lol 👀

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I would be glad to DM if we start with Mines of Phandelver. We did it last time so I can get the gist of it. That rotating DM strategy sounds really fun.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

If I can import my 5e character, I'm definitely down.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Me: Okay. So I’m going to... move forward, and say, like, “for the Golden Hills!” and toss my mace at the enemy’s... *sighs* at 🅱️anos’s head.

DM: Ok roll.

Me: 13

Me: Okay hehe. Hold on I’ll be back soon gonna grab a drink *turns off mic*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpOqkz86_lg

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Great times.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
How's sunday at 8 est look for scheduling?

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bolverkur posted:

its crazy to me that that the mind is even more powerful than an xbox one x

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hobarth E. Goblin will return in... Knob Gobblin.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Average Bear posted:

Perfect for me. Where do we make characters and stuff ?

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

goferchan posted:

Perfect for me. Where do we make characters and stuff ?

on a character sheet

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Average Bear posted:

That’s great for me actually

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_lzgo7pmzk&t=6s

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

HORMELCHILI posted:

on a character sheet

Do we play using a web site?

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

This was far and away the best thing about Summoner. That game sucked!

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

lmao i didnt know the epic Rick and Morty comedy genius dan harmon produced this classic

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

The West Marches style of game might work well for this.

I'd also be down to play but I'm in GMT timezone so scheduling might be tricky.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Aston posted:

The West Marches style of game might work well for this.

I'd also be down to play but I'm in GMT timezone so scheduling might be tricky.

I'm in GMT as well. I think West Marches could be ideal for this, although I've never played that kind of campaign. I assume it's based on each 'mission' being a one shot, just lasting one session? Or at least you reach a certain milestone in a single session.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My only experience with tabletops was making my GM upset when someone attempted to drive a van with no driving skill in Shadowrun and rolled a critical failure that killed everyone in the party about 20 minutes in.

I've never played d&d but it sounds fun, to try.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I've more or less absorbed 3.5 rules through CRPG osmosis but have no idea what 5e looks like, is there a cheat sheet or summary you'd recommend to get up to speed?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

My only experience with tabletops was making my GM upset when someone attempted to drive a van with no driving skill in Shadowrun and rolled a critical failure that killed everyone in the party about 20 minutes in.

I've never played d&d but it sounds fun, to try.

Thats because you couldn't see over the dashboard.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Pewdiepie posted:

Thats because you couldn't see over the dashboard.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Imagine Larry running from a d20 like Indiana Jones

• Locked thread