Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

I bought OOTP19 on sale the other day and have been loving around with the A's. They start in the goddamn red and when I offloaded Davis because - while good - he's also getting paid $12M I didn't have (and could actually get me half-way decent stuff back), fans absolutely loving rioted.

As they fuckin' should.

I've bought two or three copies of OOTP now and I should really try playing them at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Sydin posted:

I bought OOTP19 on sale the other day and have been loving around with the A's. They start in the goddamn red and when I offloaded Davis because - while good - he's also getting paid $12M I didn't have (and could actually get me half-way decent stuff back), fans absolutely loving rioted.

100% accurate reflection of the state of the fanbase

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't have time to make a full update post tonight.

but

changes are afoot at the Padres

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Sydin posted:

The fans don't run your team.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Eric the Mauve posted:

The fans don't run your team.

No but they show up and the owner will flip his poo poo at you if they don’t.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

I've bought two or three copies of OOTP now and I should really try playing them at some point.

They're pretty brutal. Even worse financial situation and stingier owner than the Padres (who is completely uninterested in a tank and wants .500 ball now, and the playoffs within 3 seasons), nowhere near as good a farm system, and some truly garbage old players on weirdly expensive contracts: Casilla, Hatcher, Anderson, Cahill to name a few. You also start immediately in the red with well below average development and scouting budgets. :sigh:

I'm thinking of restarting it with "can't be fired" ticked, telling the owner to pound sand, and blowing it all up (except Chapman, he rules) for a couple years.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Working for the virtual Pohlads was the worst part of playing as the Twins. I mean, that and Buxton never ever turning out.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Kind of a shame we can't become the owner.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2024 Offseason

Well, it happened. The son of a bitch sold us. I guess two straight Series were just too much for him.

Our new owner is Dan Mudd, who may or may not be this guy. Regardless, he's one hell of an owner...he's generous and patient, and doesn't want to stick his nose in our business too much. We also got another upgrade to our market, so we're looking more like a mid-market club than a small-market team these days.

Our budget for this year is a whopping $200 million bucks. That's already a nice bump up from last year, so...thanks, Dan. Even with that big bump, we're still a solid $4 mil in the hole for next season...though we now have about $7m available this season. Woo!

We have some HUGE DECISIONS to make this offseason, so let's get to it.

Issue #1: Personnel

Austin Chubb and pitching coach Darren Balsley are both out of contract. Chubb wants a bundle of money, but he's certainly earned it...at age 35 he'll win his third straight "Manager of the Year" award this year. We can extend him for ~$2m a year. Balsley is a goddamn pitcher whisperer and I think he's even more valuable than Chubb. He'll extend for about $500k a year.

A - Extend both for X number of years (5 max)

B - Extend Chubb

C - Extend Balsley

Issue #2: Arbitration and Extensions

We're gonna eat a lot more poo poo this year with arbitration contracts. Baez is jumping to $16m+, Royce Lewis to $15m+. This is still WAY below their market value, but we...can't afford it. At least not next season, due mainly to Gore's megadeal kicking in. However, if we trade one, we can probably extend the other. More on that later.

Arbitration is pretty straightforward this year. Thairo Estrada is gone, but I'd say we keep everyone else...unless someone is really hung up on Andres Munoz's $3.5m. He was bad this year, but he's still...probably...a top shelf reliever. Pete thinks so anyway.

Issue #3: Trades

We have three guys we should consider dealing. Royce Lewis, Dakota Hudson, and Michel Baez. There are two issues at play here: first, we need to dump some salary, and second, we don't want to lose anyone to free agency. I think anyway, though I can be convinced otherwise.

Royce Lewis is the game's second best SS, behind only hall of famer in waiting Lindor. He had a solid year last year and got through his first season without injury. We have him for 2 more years, with a projected arb number of $18.4 mil next year. He's starting at 10/340 for an extension...so we could probably get him for something like 7 years, $28mm AAV.

Michel Baez is an excellent, underrated starting pitcher. He's probably better than Quantrill at this point and is a top 5 starter in the NL. He's had a great several years here, but hasn't ever gone for big innings (minus 2021) and has had some arm problems. He'll get $16m+ this year, and then is gone. He'll want something along the lines of $25mm AAV to stay in town.

Dakota Hudson is a rock solid #3, due around $11.5m. He'll go throw his 160-odd innings of good-not-great ball and will likely sign a $18m+ AAV deal as a free agent.

I'd say trading one of the pitchers was a no-brainer...until Matthew Thompson's arm exploded, again. He's gone until late summer...if not forever. :( We have a couple of solid prospects who are probably ready to go, including #30 overall Mike Dye and decent farmhand Luis Patino.

We're $4m in the hole for next year.

A - Trade Lewis

B - Trade Baez

C - Trade Hudson

D - Extend...A, B, or C?

Issue #4: CUBE CATCHER

He's been a rock for this team since we got him for peanuts back in 2019...but he's up to 280 lbs, and Pete says his bat is about to go...despite slashing 290/350/374 last year. I'd be ok with keeping him on, except we have one fantastic young catcher in Logan Tanner rotting in AAA, and another sitting on the playoff roster (Jonathan French). We call the Cube into our office. He still has 5 years on his contract. What do we tell him?

A - You're a Padre for life, find your chestie and mask, we'll trade Tanner and French.

B - You're a Padre for life...would you like Brad Ausmus' job as bench coach? He's a tool anyway, and we need a jokester in the clubhouse.

C - Sorry, you're DFA'ed. Or cut.

Site should be updated shortly.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 25, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
CUBE CATCHER TO CUBE BENCH COACH

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also, a brief retrospective on the Blaze Jordan trade, following his outstanding age-21 rookie season.

When we traded for him 3 years ago, he was already the #1 prospect in the game. OOTP teams prospect-hug like no one's business, so when we committed to bringing him on, we knew it was going to cost a fortune. I didn't realize it would be this bad, though.

- Marco Luciano is going to be starting at 3B or SS for the Marlins next year. He's a gold glove caliber 3B/SS with a slightly above league average bat, and was the #14 prospect last season.

- Sergio Morales is a plus glove in CF and an elite bat prospect. He's in the Mike Trout class of hitter/fielder, though without the steals. He was the #7 prospect last year and will likely be #1 this season.

- Vinny Tosti is a plus plus glove in LF, or a good one in CF, along with an above average bat that should get better and plenty of steals (28 in 97 games in his rookie year last year). He's currently a 3.5* guy who Pete has as a 4.5* potential. Miami traded him for a very disappointing Yoan Moncada.

- Hunter Barco is currently Miami's incumbent closer and looks like a long term rock solid LHRP.

- Anderson Espinoza has emerged as a fantastic, if injury-prone SP, who has an all star appearance already. Miami traded him to the Mets for peanuts.

What I'm saying here is unless Blaze Jordan turns into Lou loving Gehrig we lost that trade.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

Also give Chubb and Balsley a 5 year contract, and see if you can lower the AAV a bit by giving them that sweet job security.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Another thing to consider: we're going to be in the market for buying out arbitration for Matt Wallner, Matthew Lugo, and Blaze Jordan fairly soon. Wallner we could even do this year, if we wanted....and cleared the cash. We're probably looking at an AAV north of $30m.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Keep Chubb and Balsley, bring on LA ENTRENADOR TORTUGA.

With the new budget space we have, I'm less worried about Lewis' contract this year. Keep him around and low-key shop him. Trade Baez immediately. I don't think we're planning on keeping him past arb anyway. (Alternatively, shop Lewis immediately, promote Nova straight out of Lake Elsinore, and keep Baez.) Shop Hudson.

Like I said, I think we're still set for a shot at the playoffs, but we need to restock on new arms especially for the future.

edit: If we can extend Wallner for a reasonable amount, do it. He's bonkers and even if he ends up riding 1B for the end of his contract I don't care.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 25, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

:bandwagon:

Extend the coaching staff, Trade Hudson, focus on extending Lewis.

If it becomes clear we just aren't going to be able to afford to keep Baez on past 2025, we can trade him at the deadline for maximum value.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

Also give Chubb and Balsley a 5 year contract, and see if you can lower the AAV a bit by giving them that sweet job security.
These, Cube to the bench coach, shop Baez.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Part of me thinks we should just ride everybody to a threepeat, even if they end up just leaving in FA.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Got a couple of deals for you, kid.

Orioles are dangling Victor Mederos in exchange for Baez. He's a top 10 prospect with mid 90s velocity and a 70 curve. He's also a big time innings-eater, and a clubhouse leader. They'll need us to kick in some extra value though...Jeison Rosario would be a good one to offer. He's our 5th OF, but he has some solid value in a trade.

The other two options are both middle infielders. The Dbacks have been trying to offload Brayden Frazier for months...which is weird, as he's the #1 prospect in baseball. He's an above average glove at 2B or SS, and could top out as a 900+ OPS hitter, but he's regarded as lazy and has had a stream of injuries. He's also already 25 years old, but hasn't yet topped out as a hitter.

The other option is Nolan Gorman. He's probably a plus glove at short and a free swinger. He'll strike out a lot, likely won't hit much above .250, and won't walk much, but he's probably good for 30 dingers and 70+ XBHs.

The market is really soft for Dakota Hudson. Best we can do there is probably a 3* prospect.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Inspector_666 posted:

Part of me thinks we should just ride everybody to a threepeat, even if they end up just leaving in FA.

Yeah, give them a QO and get the compensation picks if they leave!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Mederos seems like the solid choice to me, even if he doesn’t slot in right away. Frazier seems like too much of a lottery ticket.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

Mederos seems like the solid choice to me, even if he doesn’t slot in right away. Frazier seems like too much of a lottery ticket.

Agree 100%

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Offseason Update

Award Winners

Lugo and Lewis won Gold Gloves. A solid middle infield.
Booh reliever of the year.
Mejia, Jordan, Lewis, and Wallner Silver Sluggers
Chubb Manager
Gore Cy Young
Wallner MVP

Baez and Rosario for Mederos is a DONE DEAL.

We've got an intriguing offer in from the Brewers. They want Nelson Velasquez, who is good...he'd be starting on most teams in the league. Plus plus corner OF glove, and 850+ OPS hitter. They're offering Doug Jester, a righty reliever with a 97 mph heater and an 80 slider. He had a very impressive rookie season last year and is one of the top young relievers in baseball. More intriguing than him is Issac Rodriguez. He's the #80-something prospect, but is a very interesting player...he's got a plus plus (plus) glove...like, Ozzie Smith glove. His bat isn't ML ready yet, but he'll be a .350 OBP guy with excellent speed.

...we could probably use him, as Royce now wants a cool $46m AAV to extend. And isn't moving off that number.

Dakota Hudson isn't going anywhere now after getting over $13m in arbitration, so I say we just roll with him and take the pick next season. And if we do the deal for Rodriguez, we can let Royce go too, no problem.

We also have a couple of excellent young OF's ready to step in for Velasquez in the #4 OF spot: Kristian Robinson and Jeremy Beck.

Also...we've freed up enough cash that we could extend both Matt Wallner and Blaze Jordan. Waller wants something in the range of 7/200, and Jordan will do a 10 year deal for 240 or so. We can afford both...right now. Probably not next year, though.

We also have a pile of money sitting around for this season, and a potential spot in the rotation. A bunch of decent vets are out there, including Madison Bumgarner, James Paxton, and Justin Verlander. Do we make a fat one year "win a ring" offer to one of these vets to fill the #2-3 spot in our rotation, or do we trust the rookies?

So, VOTE

Yay or nay on the Velasquez Trade

Yay or nay on the Wallner extension

Yay or nay on the Jordan extension

Yay or Nay on pursue a 1-year starter. I feel like Verlander is maybe the best option here...he's 41, and was poo poo last year...but in only 12 innings thanks to a knee injury. Pete still thinks he's a decent enough #3 guy if he stays healthy, and he was rock solid in AAA during his rehab stint there. If he doesn't pan out...meh, no big loss to us. The other guys may not want a one year deal.

Also, say hello to our new bench coach, who wears a baseball cap with his suit.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 26, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bewbies posted:

Also, say hello to our new bench coach, who wears a baseball cap with his suit.

God drat we are the coolest team in baseball.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Trade Velasquez and extend Wallner. Extend Jordan too unless there's enough 1B talent around that we could get most of his production at a much cheaper price. Get Verlander if we can get him on a reasonably cheap incentives-heavy deal.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Velasquez YAY

Wallner YAY (move him to 1B if his glove starts crapping out)

Jordan NAY (see above)

Pitcher YAY (MadBum of Verlander, whoever seems like the better deal according to Pete)

Inspector_666 posted:

God drat we are the coolest team in baseball.

Fuckin' A.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Velasquez for Jester and Rodriguez DONE DEAL. Jester is loving good, he could be our closer after Booh leaves.

Wallner is EXTENDED through 2023 at a cool $28 million a year. If he keeps ripping 60 plus dingers a year this is one heck of a value.

We have signed Justin Verlander to a 2 year, $15m deal, with a team option in year 2. Pete is pretty high on him... he can still hit 93 on the gun, and still has that disgusting slider. He's coming into the season healthy and was pretty excellent in AAA last year (which is where most of his innings were).

If he can avoid catastrophic injury in the spring he should be a useful #3 for us. Our pitch whisperer Darren Balsley does better with young arms though...hopefully they can find some common ground.

Of note: Verlander is 6 years older than his manager. PADREBALL

Also of note: Logan Tanner, our backup catcher, can pitch. And pitch pretty well...he's basically a low 90s heater and a good curve.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 26, 2018

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
What's Wallner's defense looking like? We might be wanting him at 1B sooner or later if only to minimise the risk of him getting injured in the OF.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

What's Wallner's defense looking like? We might be wanting him at 1B sooner or later if only to minimise the risk of him getting injured in the OF.

He's about average in left, maybe a slight plus in right. This is due almost entirely to his arm (he's an amateur pitcher, remember). Below average range and glove...and his range has already declined a bit. He should age pretty well in the OF, but we can certainly move him back to first if he loses more legs as he gets older.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2025 Season

#2 overall system behind Victor Mederos (#4), Jaquan Mawwakkil (last year's first round draft pick, #15), and Robbie Nelson (#18).

Justin Verlander did well in the spring and slid in nicely to the #3 spot in the rotation. He also turned 42.

Jeremy Beck won the 4th OF slot. He's about an average bat with a slightly above average glove. Exciting.

Lawrence Butler also made the squad as a backup 1B and RF. I'm sure we all remember him as the haul from the Rowan Wick trade 3 years ago.

For the first time since we started, we have a new backup catcher.

We're tipped to win 113 games this season.

Opening Day Lineup
Royce Lewis, SS
FTJ, 3B
Matt Wallner, RF
Masuo Nagamatsu, LF
Blaze Jordan, 1B
Erik Rivera, CF
Matthew Lugo, 2B
Frank Mejia, C

Opening Day Staff
MacKenzie Gore
Cal Quantrill
Justin Verlander
Ignacio Santana (from the Seth Beer trade. He moved to a starting role very well in the spring. He gives up a lot of HRs but strikes out an absurd number of batters despite topping out at 90 mph)
Dakota Hudson

Opening Day pen
Sung-yong Booh (CL)
Andres Munoz
Matt Wallner (lol)
Durbin Feltman
Liu Fuenmayor
Erik Rivera (also CF)
Jose Albertos
Logan Tanner (also catcher)
Royman Blanco
Chad Guyer
Luciano De La Cruz

I think we have the record for most 2 way players.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Verlander chasing that ring before he retires. Good for him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I had something really neat happen in my game

This story popped up during the offseason about my closer

and then a couple weeks later, he sent me a message

I picked "start a charity" and a few days later was one last event and it gave me a 10 point fan interest bump as well as a full step of loyalty

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Verlander chasing that ring before he retires. Good for him.

He got one with the Astros though

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

IcePhoenix posted:

I had something really neat happen in my game

This story popped up during the offseason about my closer

and then a couple weeks later, he sent me a message

I picked "start a charity" and a few days later was one last event and it gave me a 10 point fan interest bump as well as a full step of loyalty

Yeah I just had this event like two days ago, I presume it's something that can randomly fire on a player with a Captain personality. Super cool.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2025 All Star Game

57-30, .655, 1st place, NL West

We had...a very rough start to the season. In fact, we had a losing record (10-11) in April. A bunch of guys struggled to get off the mark and we got hit pretty hard by some injuries. We went a cool 23-4 in June though, to vault us back into first place.

Matt Wallner hates baseballs. He really, really hates baseballs. He wants them to get away from him as fast as possible. He's also become three-outcomes incarnate. He's slashing 274/376/726. He's struck out 111 times, and walked 52. He has 87 hits, and only 6 of them are doubles.

That isn't very many doubles.

That is in large part because he's hit 44 home runs. At the all star break. That's five more than the previous record holder, who you all may have heard of. He's on pace for 82 dingers...and he could do it. He really could do it. His BABIP is a full 50 points below what it was last year.

Editor's note: I think I've only seen one unmodified, non-historical player ever break the HR record. This is really cool

Injuries bit us pretty hard early. Dakota Hudson is out for at least a year with TJS. Blaze Jordan missed over two months with an ankle. Blaze is back now, but Hudson's very good Padre career is now all but over.

Gore and Quantrill have been their typically outstanding selves. Justin Verlander has thrown 106 innings of 2.62 ERA ball, his best season in many years. His peripherals aren't great though, so expect that to rise in a hurry in the second half. Our two new starters, Ignacio Santana and Royman Blanco have been good, not great. The good news is Matthew Thompson is only a couple of weeks out, and Pete says he's looking absolutely dominant (like, comparable to Gore), despite his elbow being held together with rubber bands and gum.

Royce Lewis is finally having the season we all knew he could have: 314/387/540, with 29 steals (ZERO CS) and his normal quality glove at short. FTJ and Nagamatsu are having their typical seasons, as is Lugo. Frank Mejia may be starting to show his age a bit, but he's still OPSing a cool .895.

Our international signing was Juan "Obi Yan" Barbosa. He's an 18 year old pitcher who STRONGLY resembles Pedro Martinez. Low 90s velocity which should improve, slightly built, four plus pitches, pinpoint control.

Our draft was so uninteresting I don't even remember who it was.

I will keep a close eye on Matt Wallner. If he starts getting close to the record, I'll start posting game updates.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also:

Our all stars are:
Gore
Quantrill
Verlander
Booh
Mejia
FTJ
Lewis
Nagamatsu
Wallner.

Giancarlo Stanton is having an amusing resurgence this year...he's at 293/397/694 at the break, with 36 dingers, while Frank Lindor is continuing his march to "best SS of all time" with a 383/447/624 line. He sits at a cool 65 WAR halfway through his age 31 season.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wallner updates: (spoilered)

8/1/2025: He went on a bit of a tear after the ASB, with 9 HRs in 14 games. He sits at 53 on the year, on pace for 84.

8/11/2025: The big homer bat has gone ice cold, only 1 dinger in the last 8 games. 55 on the year, 80 pace.

8/31/2025: A nice tear to end August, with 8 dingers in 13 games, including a 4 game streak. 64 on the year, 80 pace.

Also, for gently caress's sake, Matthew Thompson just got bone chips in his elbow and is gone for the year after 4 nice starts.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 27, 2018

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

I mean, elbow debridement aside. Why are pitchers.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bewbies posted:

Wallner updates: (spoilered)

8/1/2025: He went on a bit of a tear after the ASB, with 9 HRs in 14 games. He sits at 53 on the year, on pace for 84.

8/11/2025: The big homer bat has gone ice cold, only 1 dinger in the last 8 games. 55 on the year, 80 pace.

8/31/2025: A nice tear to end August, with 8 dingers in 13 games, including a 4 game streak. 64 on the year, 80 pace.

:stwoon:

Good thing we got that extension done already.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wallner updates:

9/8/2025: A great week: 5 dingers in 7 games. 69 on the season, 82 pace.

#70: 9/10, vs Milwaukee. 351 feet.

#71: 9/16, vs Cincinnati. 427 feet.

#72: 9/19, vs Washington. 341 feet.

#73: 9/20, vs Washignton. 392 feet.

He has 14 games to hit #74.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bewbies posted:

Wallner updates:

9/8/2025: A great week: 5 dingers in 7 games. 69 on the season, 82 pace.

#70: 9/10, vs Milwaukee. 351 feet.

#71: 9/16, vs Cincinnati. 427 feet.

#72: 9/19, vs Washington. 341 feet.

#73: 9/20, vs Washignton. 392 feet.

He has 14 games to hit #74.

Shiiiiiiiiiit

• Locked thread