Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

1) Angels
2) Marlins

I think trying to actually build a team around Trout and Ohtani is the best use of this thread. And Marlins just because it would be amusing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

We should replace our hitting coach because we need someone who works well with youngsters, and who has shown that he can get results.

Give Balsey at least another year, because even if his philosophy didn't exactly match with ours, he brought what we had up, and in the end that's what you want.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

There is a view of our farm in the pic dump I put up earlier. I'll upload the entire game file later today so you all can get way into the weeds.

VOTE

We sent out some feelers for a new hitting coach, and have four potential alternatives to Stairs:

Morgan Burkhart. Currently, our AAA affiliate hitting coach. He did fairly well in El Paso last year and states his approach is to develop power in young hitters.

Matt Treanor. He has minimal coaching experience but is very personable and will be well-liked by the youngsters. He is all about teaching the batter's eye. He's also married to a very attractive beach volleyball player.

Bill Mueller has an excellent reputation after years with the Dodgers, Cubs, and Cardinals. He's all about the power, regardless of age.

Kunitaro Kato enjoyed a long successful career in Japan. He's coached some of their power hitters, but isn't known for his work with youngsters.

Vote either to keep Stairs, or for one of these guys. The rest of the staff stays on.

To save money and reward being good, I think we should Promote Burkhart and then Hire Treanor to the minors.

I dunno if we want to promote people up the ladder or whatever but however it's done, hire Treanor to fill the gap.

Mueller would be nice and all but I think we need to consider the financial side of everything and the money we don't spend on him is money we could put into player development or draft pools.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The fans will get over it when we use that money to extend an actual good player

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Definitely B

If we want to keep Mejia down for Service Time Fuckery (we do) we should sign Willians Astudillo to catch.

If Donaldson or Beltre will come on cheap deals they could give us a popularity boost and be trade bait around the deadline

I don't know who Yonathan Daza is and he doesn't have a player page but his ratings bear a look as a possible cheap CF to back up or replace Margot. Same with Reymond Fuentes. Esteban Quiroz as a corner OF falls in here.

We need a shortstop pretty badly IMO, Galvis' defense doesn't appear to be offsetting his horrible performance at the dish. Eduardo Escobar might be worth a look (but also might be too expensive). My eyes have started to glaze over by now so I'm not sure who else might be a good sign there.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

New proposal

see how expensive it would be to pry Ohtani away from the Angels :getin:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TheFlyingLlama posted:

if we need a short term C what would kurt suzuki cost on a one year deal?

:frogout:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TheFlyingLlama posted:

look man I'm not sure trading for ohtani to have him catch is a good idea, but I guess I'm willing to try it?

IcePhoenix posted:

If we want to keep Mejia down for Service Time Fuckery (we do) we should sign Willians Astudillo to catch.

Inspector_666 posted:

Sign Astudillo no matter what. Make him the marquee player. Pay him for life.

John Wilkes Booth posted:

I vote B and please sign Astudillo.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TheFlyingLlama posted:

oh right the fat catcher. I guess fat meme guys are more fun than someone who might actually be good so w/e

Good news, Astudillo is both :yeah:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I want Nick Bitsko in the draft (probably not with our first pick).

Our first pick should be someone who is probably close to being ready (a year or two) at a position where we will have a spot open (either because the player currently there is JAG or because we have a player who will be gone via retirement or contract expiry). We're not really in a position to be picky about which position outside of a few.

Every pick after that should be some form of BPA.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Option C, we may only be 7 games back but there are still five teams between us and that spot.

Gurriel should definitely go for the best available package.

Eovaldi I would trade if we can get a top guy that will be with us by opening day 2021. Preferably a pitcher.

Wilson is between the two for me. If we can get a really good package or individual back then I'd trade him, but 6m isn't really a lot for a great closer and it won't be hard to trade him at 6m if we decide to go that route.

If you can find someone to take Santana without us sending much cash or a meaningful prospect then I'd get rid of him.

I would call up FTJ and Bradley. Plus depending on how well they play we could make a run at the Wild Card even after all these trades. Also, 44 dingers before the end of July is hilarious, even if it is the PCL.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Extend the coaches, it's probably the overall talent level that's causing the bad rankings, I think they're doing well with what we have.

Keep Andy Green, firing him means paying out his contract PLUS whatever we pay the new guy, who will cost at least as much unless we go with a complete unknown.

Cut Diekman

Combination of B and C, call up FTJ after we get the extra year of control, super 2 be damned.

FA Targets: We need a SS (Cordoba is more of a utility guy IMO) and there are some good options. Didi Gregorius is the best option by far but may be a pipe dream. Still gotta shoot our shot though!

Pitching: Our bullpen probably needs a little boost (though we may have prospects that can help). Preston Claiborne and Connor Mullee look like they might be good value. Tim Mayza might be a good LOOG. Also I probably don't need to mention Chris Sale, Justin Verlander (who I'd probably pass on due to age), and Gerrit Cole but hey :v:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ALL HAIL THE CUBE CATCHER

Who else is available as a hitting coach? Treanor would be perfectly fine to call up IMO but maybe there's a better, more major league "ready" guy that we can sign instead.

I don't think Urias will ever be as good as Whitley so I think a lot comes down to if we want to trade a 22 year old who will probably be acceptable at 2B at least until his (probably inexpensive) arb runs out for a 30 year old 2B that could be a perennial all-star, but we have to start paying him now because he's hitting arb this off-season? The one upside to his age is that if Whit starts breaking down we could just let him go because he's still on one year arb contracts for the next three seasons (unless we extend him).

For pitching, I'd go after Sale above Cole but I'd definitely try our best to get at least one (within reason). And we may as well kick the tires on Paxton as well, maybe the cost in prospects won't be terribly high.

I think with a couple big additions (and FTJ is one already, probably) we might be able to contend for a WC this season.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Definitely go after Paxton if we don't have to give up anyone critical

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

BIG MAPLE

Because honestly this solves all three of our problems outright.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

note: Maple wants 7/133 to extend. This might be in the real of possibility depending on how much money we make this season.

note 2: I didn't notice that Paxton is a quality team leader, something we were missing!

:getin:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:drat: that's a hell of an off-season for us! I wanna take a look at the team page to see what we've got go-

:ohdear:

:smith:

Oh well, at least we've got the cube catcher. Let's see if we avoided any other big inj-

:raise:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

The Bad
- Mejia has also been underwhelming, OBPing just 300

Probably hard to hit with a ruptured Achilles :v:

My vote regarding Paxton is obviously for Royce Lewis

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Float Eovaldi and take an offer if it's good. He's currently our fifth starter anyway.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Coolguye posted:

i don't even pretend to follow baseball why is this thing so compelling

Because it's basically a spreadsheet game

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Coolguye posted:

r u sayin im a spreadsheet nerd

I've seen your posts in the Stardew Valley thread

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

2020 NLDS: San Diego Padres vs Washington Nationals

Game 1

Game 2

Game 3

Game 4

:rip: :(

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Option A - never pay for relievers in OOTP

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

Happy to, but how exactly do I do that?

Bad news about Treinen and Eovaldi, kid...everyone is smart to your game at this point. No one is in any hurry to offer up quality young arms for your elite soon to be free agents. You didn't get back any offers on a guy I rate more than 3.5 stars, and all of them are either not ML ready or already deep into arbitration..

Urias is 3*. Bradley is 3*. Cordoba is 2.5*. A 3.5* prospect (or two) sounds pretty nice. And we save 18m now that we can use in FA to a much bigger impact or to extend our guys.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

Will do and good idea!

Lucchesi extension is a DONE DEAL: 4 years, $24 million. This is a bit of a risk as he's coming off of a nasty shoulder injury, but these are the kinds of risks you have to take as a no-market team. If he gets back to where he was last season, that's a massive discount for us.

Munoz and Feltman for Cozens and Chavis is a DONE DEAL. I also got a solid offer on Eovaldi: Jose Rances Suarez isn't our normal fireballing pitching prospect, but he has plus control on a 90-92 fastball and a plus plus changeup. He's a few years out from the bigs but might even work out as a starter someday.

We now have about $20m in cash to play with. There...isn't much on the market. We definitely need a left handed reliver, but other than that, it doesn't look to me like any free agents are any significant upgrades for us...unless we want to pay Trevor Bauer $35m to rehab a bad elbow this season. (I do not)

SO

VOTE

What do we want to do with our leftover cash?

We can:

A: blow it on an elite LHRP. Elite like, Britton, or Will Smith. They'll both take probably 3/50 or something like that. But...talk about a LOOGY...

B: buy out some more arbitration years. Mejia and Urias are the two obvious candidates. Basically, we'd be frontloading their cost a bit...instead of paying them $10+m three years from now (which will badly stretch our finances), we'd be paying them a couple extra mil this season when we can afford it, while taking on some risk that either wet farts out.

C: Dump it all into scouting and player development. The cupboard is definitely emptying, but we still have some quality prospects at the farm. Spending our extra cash in developing the next generation of guys once we inevitably lose some of our current cohort to free agency isn't a bad idea.

Did we get a decent offer on Trenien as well or nah?

Anyway, for LHR you can probably find one for cheap with a little digging, unless they've vastly changed the game between this iteration and 18. I used to fill out my staff with minor league FAs or minimum-ish contract guys all the time.

e: oh, and do some combo of B and C

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 11, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

All aboard the Mejia train

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

also take a look at Mike Trout's first half, god drat

Jeeeeesus.

Also holy moly we have the entire starting outfield for the NL

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

Bryce harper meanwhile has settled fairly nicely into the realm of "alright, i guess"

http://www.cowace2.com/OOTP/OOTP/players/player_30058.html

So just like real life

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

Yep sure is. There's a "greed" stat also.

This is largely a formality, but Justin Wilson is asking about an extension. He's incredible, but there's no way we do 6+ years at $18m per, right? We let the man walk?

:lol:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fire Green for putting Matton in to blow TWO CONSECUTIVE GAMES (I had to double check when I looked at game seven because he did the exact same thing in game six) instead of using Wilson in at least game seven (game six has deniability since he pitched three innings in game 5). Replace him with that Chubb fells, we've been doing a pretty decent job with our youthful coaching gambles, may as well keep going back to the well!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:agreed:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Wilson isn't worth a QO

rickiep00h posted:

Or let him walk, hope we can find some more bullpen arms, and sigh plaintively at the first round pick we don't get. :shrug:

I don't think he makes enough as a FA to get us a 1/2 sandwich pick

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

I'm just repeating what (I'm pretty sure) bewbies said.

Like I said, I don't really care either way, we'll clearly use whatever we end up with, but I don't think having a solid *~proven closer~* on a year we're intending to go all the way to be the worst place to spend money.

edit:

oh, I assumed OOTP would have updated the QO rules, my bad

I still don't think he's worth the QO. Unless they massively changed the way the game works (lol) relievers aren't super hard to come by if you do some digging.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Urias is in arbitration and we might have trouble keeping him past arb, I'm not so sure we should be trading away a prime candidate to replace him. And having another guy on a rookie contract in a couple years will give us a few more million for extending the rest of our OF.

Definitely go for the reliever. 6m/yr is acceptable for one or two elite guys.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

Get Clevinger and Shaw.

:hmmyes:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ldragon posted:

So for those of us who don't speak baseball, what is so special about this guy?

baseball scouts use a 20-80 scale to rate things

basically this dude has A+ stuff and both his pitches are one of the best versions of that pitch in all of baseball (which helps even more), and he has good/great control with great movement (which, again, makes pitches harder to hit).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Niwrad posted:

Is the reason they suggest bullpen because he only throws 2 pitches? Looks like his stamina is halfway decent.

Chubb is going to run him into the ground this year. :argh:

Yes, because any starter with only two pitches is going to get loving murdered past the second or third inning

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Julio Cruz posted:

As always, Bartolo is the exception that proves the rule.

Bartolo threw a fastball, slider, and changeup

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is there no market for bradley in a trade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

Also here's a tactics/rules question: how exactly would we use a guy like Wallner? Like, say he starts a game at 1B...could we move him to pitch an inning in the 7th and bring in a 1B for the exiting pitcher, then move him back to first after his inning?

I'd need to see an updated player page for him to know for sure if it would work out but I had a guy similar to him in an online league I was in a few years ago and I DH'd him against righties and benched him against lefties (he had a pretty big split), and set him as my #1 setup man in the bullpen. I think he ended up with ~140 games played by the end of the year so pretty good overall.

• Locked thread