Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
This leaves us with a very unfortunate question, comrades.

What... if anything... is to be done with this man's cooked provisions and alcohol, his furniture, sitting, wasting, now that he refuses it? I open the floor.

Martin Random has issued a correction as of 21:50 on Oct 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
we weren't able to trade anything when the first dwarf caravan arrived because our bookkeeper didn't keep the books good enough and the broker passed out while talking to the traders

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Most accurate simulation of leftist communes ever devised

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Venom Snake posted:

we weren't able to trade anything when the first dwarf caravan arrived because our bookkeeper didn't keep the books good enough and the broker passed out while talking to the traders

hahahaha

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How do the ideologies actually work?

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Dwarf anprim theory is not the same as human anprim theory, as the dwarfs came from underground tunnels, rather than the filthy surface.

I shall resign myself to wander the caves, gathering plants and wrestling what creatures I can find for sustenance. Natural dwarf state is debated by historians, most contentiously about brewing and mining.

Early evidence points towards both the use of rudimentary mining and brewing, however, and so compromises must be made. alcohol will be allowed but only for gathered plants.

(too bad there isn't a way to model natural fermentation in the game)

EDIT:

Jose posted:

my suggestion would be use of burrows, labor options, and player-assisted roleplay fudging

Bullfrog has issued a correction as of 22:09 on Oct 5, 2018

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
make 1 engraver and name him Banksy and have him paving and repaving constantly, thats all they get to do for life

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I'd like to abuse my position as Manager to set 5,000 work orders for pig iron

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose posted:

You can directly edit dwarves preferences, what they like, what they agree with, etc. Now I don't know what exactly editing in a random topic or preference to a dwarf might result in in the long run but that's part of the fun. Story wise it just makes it funny when a bunch of different flavors of marxism are quarreling with one another.

Crazycryodude posted:

I'd like to abuse my position as Manager to set 5,000 work orders for pig iron

Working on smelting all the ore we got now (we have no iron)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bullfrog posted:

Dwarf anprim theory is not the same as human anprim theory, as the dwarfs came from underground tunnels, rather than the filthy surface.

I shall resign myself to wander the caves, gathering plants and wrestling what creatures I can find for sustenance. Natural dwarf state is debated by historians, most contentiously about brewing and mining.

Early evidence points towards both the use of rudimentary mining and brewing, however, and so compromises must be made. alcohol will be allowed but only for gathered plants.

(too bad there isn't a way to model natural fermentation in the game)

EDIT:

my suggestion would be use of burrows, labor options, and player-assisted roleplay fudging

the most natural state of the dwarf is to require alcohol to get through the day

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Venom Snake posted:

You can directly edit dwarves preferences, what they like, what they agree with, etc. Now I don't know what exactly editing in a random topic or preference to a dwarf might result in in the long run but that's part of the fun. Story wise it just makes it funny when a bunch of different flavors of marxism are quarreling with one another.

Working on smelting all the ore we got now (we have no iron)

When does my strasserite get added and can I have more than one

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I don't know what this is

MAKE ME A DWARF

ideology: iconoclast

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Nebakenezzer posted:

I don't know what this is

MAKE ME A DWARF

ideology: iconoclast

I hope you end up being an engraver

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Also are airships a thing

Because if so I'm really into those

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
i know its a giant pain to take screenshots and upload them and all that but could you give us a look at the fort?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Martin Random posted:

This leaves us with a very unfortunate question, comrades.

What... if anything... is to be done with this man's cooked provisions and alcohol, his furniture, sitting, wasting, now that he refuses it? I open the floor.

His property is the property of the fortress, to be used communally.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also are airships a thing

Because if so I'm really into those

https://store.steampowered.com/app/342560/Airships_Conquer_the_Skies/

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Current list:

Taintunner is a consort who hunts monsters that showed up and asked to join us so I said yeah and shes currently fighting giant frog monsters in the caverns

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also I got some bad news: our embark has no sedimentary layer and thus we have no iron or coal. Lots of tin, copper, silver and gold though!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Venom Snake posted:

Also I got some bad news: our embark has no sedimentary layer and thus we have no iron or coal. Lots of tin, copper, silver and gold though!

tell the caravan to bring raw iron, and increase exports of anything but dairy!!!

make wood into potash or whwatever

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baloogan posted:

tell the caravan to bring raw iron, and increase exports of anything but dairy!!!

make wood into potash or whwatever

Yeah, I am, the only unfortunate matter is that our only source of wood is the caves which has a limited supply. Iv found magma though so perhaps we could get a magma forge reactor going......

a corrupt official
Sep 25, 2015

i also ask to be dwarfed please. I will hopefully join the fort's growing, blooming, gnostic community as an additional 2nd century gnostic dwarf. acceptable political structures: anarchy/cults. thank you

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Build more fortifications

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Venom Snake posted:

piss off some goblins after you make a bunch of traps and take more screenshots op

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Dwarf me as a radical centrist please. We must consolidate our ale centers.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
roll me in, ur past runs have been fun diversions

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Create and sell excess ale. Also, pay everyone in ale.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
get in bed with goblins
kiss goblins

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apparently people are getting the poo poo beaten out of them by giant frogs when going into the caves to chop lumber (mushrooms?), 2 people are in the hospital for severe wounds

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

make a big lava moat to dump all the goblins/dissidents in
out of whatever you've got that's magma proof

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Add me as an accelerationist dwarf. My character manifests his ideology by taking whatever the last dwarf proposed and doubling it.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

the bitcoin of weed posted:

make a big lava moat to dump all the goblins/dissidents in
out of whatever you've got that's magma proof

We have quite a lot of magma proof material, now.....pumping the magma all the way up to the surface is the hard part

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Wait. How are you guys keeping up with what's happening?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah I'm lost as gently caress, are there official updates on the State of the Fort at all? Or just Venom Snake posting occasional tidbits?

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ikanreed posted:

Wait. How are you guys keeping up with what's happening?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
You must run a simulation of the fort within your mind.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Don't pump magma up just build the smelters down by the magma. Send the bars up via minecart.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
And we have our first death! Taintrunner of the Juche ideology died while fighting a Giant Olm called Uvóthfokásh "Shredhungers". Alas, not much sympathy can be found for her since she came to the fort specifically fight cave monsters. She will be given a state burial with partial honors since Juche isn't very popular. One resident remarked "What's a giant olm?"

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Giant_olm

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah I'm lost as gently caress, are there official updates on the State of the Fort at all? Or just Venom Snake posting occasional tidbits?

Dwarf fortress LP's typically involve a lot of story telling (IE me reporting to you whats happening and asking for suggestions).

Moridin920 posted:

Don't pump magma up just build the smelters down by the magma. Send the bars up via minecart.

This is revisionism, without pumps how else can we pour lava on the counter-revolutionaries?

Venom Snake has issued a correction as of 02:26 on Oct 6, 2018

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Venom Snake posted:

And we have our first death! Taintrunner of the Juche ideology died while fighting a Giant Olm called Uvóthfokásh "Shredhungers". Alas, not much sympathy can be found for her since she came to the fort specifically fight cave monsters. She will be given a state burial with partial honors since Juche isn't very popular. One resident remarked "What's a giant olm?"

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Giant_olm

Dwarf fortress LP's typically involve a lot of story telling (IE me reporting to you whats happening and asking for suggestions).

This is revisionism, without pumps how else can we pour lava on the counter-revolutionaries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Venom Snake posted:

Apparently people are getting the poo poo beaten out of them by giant frogs when going into the caves to chop lumber (mushrooms?), 2 people are in the hospital for severe wounds

I told everyone to stop chopping down the trees. I warned them.

I support the Giant Frogs and do not want them to be harmed.

• Locked thread