Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medinna
Oct 5, 2018
My idiot Navy chief husband decided to slap our 14 year old son hard enough to bust his bottom lip and bruise around both nostrils for glaring. Right after he threatened to do it again if our son looked at him like that again. I reported him to the Navy and CPS. I also got a protection order for my son. I am trying to find what resources are available to help protect my son from any more abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Have you contacted the police/NCIS? This is also a good time to get a lawyer, and base legal may help with that. You're going to need representation to help you file a restraining order or separation documents if need be.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Medinna posted:

My idiot Navy chief husband decided to slap our 14 year old son hard enough to bust his bottom lip and bruise around both nostrils for glaring. Right after he threatened to do it again if our son looked at him like that again. I reported him to the Navy and CPS. I also got a protection order for my son. I am trying to find what resources are available to help protect my son from any more abuse.

Report to someone in his chain of command, but at least a few levels above him. Get a restraining order.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Also, do you have someplace to stay that's not co-located with him? If not, legal may help you to compel him to leave your home.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah just go through the channels of Police/NCIS/Restraining orders. They take things seriously as long as you press the issue.

Chiefs tend to circle the wagon so just elevate your complaint if you get push back and they try to stone wall you. Talk to the ombudsman and the CO, if you don't see results quick go to the squadron then fleet level.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Take your son to the Naval Hospital for treatment. Get it documented and let them know it was from abuse.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Just call the quarterdeck of the ship/base and talk to the command duty officer. They won't circle the wagons. The whole command will scramble to make sure everyone who needs to know does, get the sitrep out and start their own investigation. This is assuming this hasn't already happened.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Also no need to post details but if you could pop back and say you're OK or need more help at some point that would be great :)

Medinna
Oct 5, 2018
I took him to medical the morning after. The main problem facing me is how to get possession of the house or find alternative living arrangements. Since my son is a minor and the only one abused, the courts can not give him possession of the house. I currently have a military protective order that prevents my husband from returning home till the end of the month. I also have a preliminary protective order. CPS is investigating. The only money I have available is my GI Bill. My husband controls all the other money.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Call a family lawyer. Not legal services. An actual family lawyer.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Medinna posted:

I took him to medical the morning after. The main problem facing me is how to get possession of the house or find alternative living arrangements. Since my son is a minor and the only one abused, the courts can not give him possession of the house. I currently have a military protective order that prevents my husband from returning home till the end of the month. I also have a preliminary protective order. CPS is investigating. The only money I have available is my GI Bill. My husband controls all the other money.

What state are you in? I can try to direct you to some legal resources if I know of any.

Make sure you and your kid are safe. That's priority #1. All of the reporting people recommend is correct, as well. Ensure his command knows, that your son is treated and documented the treatment as abuse. It looks like you're probably going towards divorce, and you need to set yourself up as best as possible so that you're not completely left out in the cold.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Also as long as you're married your husband cannot withhold money from you. This is where base legal can be of assistance. Dependent support is something he's required to provide until there's a court order saying otherwise. The RLSO will tally up what he owes you each month and notify the command. Frankly it's another charge his child beating rear end will not get out of if he decides to be a dick and not support his dependents. The CO will not gently caress around with this.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Just remember that the Navy will do everything they're required to do for this issue. The rest is a civil matter and you need a lawyer. It may cost a bit, but lawyers will work with you. Most clients can't just pony up all the legal fees at once.

Medinna
Oct 5, 2018
We are in Virginia and own the house.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I can't help you there, but King of Bees is right - you need a family lawyer asap. There should be plenty around that understand all the rules and laws regarding military divorce and can also help with keeping you and your kid safe.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Not constructive help in any way, but: gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

Dr Cox MD
Sep 11, 2001

Listen Up, Newbies.
Echoing family lawyer. I guarantee a 30 minute (usually free!) introductory consultation call will clear up so many things for you.

In most cases like this that I've seen, the husband has filled up the wife's head with a bunch of BS about how divorces go down, so it looks really unattractive. The truth is, generally speaking, all the judges want is whatever is least disturbing to the kids.

This means you will get to stay in the house (because this is what your kids are used to). It will be OK.

Talk to a family lawyer. Talk to three. Like I said, nearly all will do a free introductory consultation. Each attorney will bring a different perspective. Based on your conversation with them, you can pick which is the best fit for your family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Ensure base police and NCIS are involved and press the issue. Do not think the command will do the right thing. We have had count on two hands domestic incidents at my command in my time and I can not think of one that ended with repercussions that were broadcast to the personnel, always "this happened, don't do it" and never hearing about it again til the next time we are told "don't do that".

Utilize those law enforcement resources to ensure your safety and that the Navy doesn't gently caress this up, please.

• Locked thread