Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Effort post incoming, feel free to correct me on errors.

We’re only 29 days out from the election and your candidates need you!

The easiest way you can help a campaign is to ask for a yard sign. Yard signs are (usually) free and the campaign will deliver the sign to your location. If your house backs up on to a busy street, please tell us and you can get a giant yard sign for even more visibility. If you live on a corner and want two yard signs or think the neighbor kids will steal yours and want extras, just ask. This greatly improves awareness of the candidate and encourages people who know about your candidate but aren’t sure how well they’ll do in an election. Candidates usually will have a form on their website that you can fill out. You can also call the campaign office or just drop in.

The second easiest thing you can do is donate! At least a few of the Democrats running this time around aren’t taking corporate PAC money and even the ones who do live off small dollar donations. There are several ways to donate, including just showing up at your campaign office with a check or cash.

Contact your local campaign office and see what you can do to help. If you're in a safe district, great! Use the resources further up the thread to help out battleground areas or help out where you are for some fun with like-minded people. The resources you free up by volunteering in safe areas can be passed on to battleground districts. Check your local candidate's calendar to see what events are available and follow them on facebook and Twitter for stuff you might not find out about otherwise. Events like canvassing and call parties are incredibly heartening because you get to be in a room full of like-minded and motivated people. As an added bonus, call parties in coffee shops will often get you free coffee. We also need people to help deliver signs.

Canvassing from here on out will probably be every day of the week, rain or shine with multiple shifts during the weekend. I was feeling really disheartened about Kavanaugh's upcoming confirmation on Friday, but knew I'd feel better if I went in and there were about 30 people who showed up to canvass in the rain on a weekday. If you're not sure what you can do, just show up at your campaign office and there will be someone to work with you on what needs to be done and what you're best suited for. It's all hands-on-deck for Get Out the Vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

OK yeah that's basically "hey I know you're disaffected with the political system but keep voting for the democrats, we've been doing that for nigh on 30 years at this point and, well, it's gotten us more fascism, but please keep doing it."

Not an enormously compelling argument for the disaffected yoofs, I feel. And as earlier in the thread, definitely not a position that merits that title.

I think if you're trying to capitalise on the present political energy you really need to come up with something better, and you're going to have to address the idea that perhaps repeatedly voting for thieving, self serving, boojy criminals might have some connection to why the opposition are fascists?

"Vote for the crook" is only one presentation of the issues and the post wasn't only describing that.

The time to bring in new progressives over establishment Democrats was in the primaries. This was surprisingly successful. Joe Manchin is the person who keeps getting brought up in threads, but there were people who seemingly didn't have a chance and did not have the DCCC with them who are now in close races. Many of these people will become the new face of the party. In addition, the down ticket races are full of new people running for office because they're working for the greater good and others who are very much not for the greater good. If you don't like the candidates in your state, find the ones you do and donate/phone bank. If you do have a progressive/non-establishment candidate that you don't hate, for the love of God go volunteer because we desperately need you right now. Then go vote because without a majority the candidates you like won't be able to push for their policies.

In addition to the candidates, the ballot measures listed in the post you quoted are incredibly important. There are measures like allowing more Floridians to vote, Medicaid expansion, and levies to fund schools. I don't know if repealing the death penalty is up in any states this time, but it has happened. Those single issue measures should be enough to get people out to the polls, but the top of the ticket gets emphasized over everything else.

EDIT: Also judges are super important and have a huge impact on what policy ultimately is.

Dogwood Fleet fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 11, 2018

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Sjs00 posted:

So what do I do then? Asking for a friend
They're basically hearing that voting is stupid complicated to register/ballot/showup/vote
and that on top of that it doesnt work.
Will study some of those groups if any lf them operate here in SC, guntculture central.

You can register to vote in South Carolina online and have until October 17th. You do need a South Carolina ID and so I can’t walk you about the process after confirming your ID number, but apparently it takes about two minutes.

You don’t need to go in on election day to vote either. You can get an absentee application online and you just send the completed application back through the mail, preferably ASAP but you need to have in by November 2nd. You can then return the ballot by mail. If it’s easier you can just go in on Election Day and ignore everything after I said after registering to vote.

Going in, voting, and leaving takes 10 minutes to a half hour for my privileged suburban rear end, but that depends on where you are.

Looking at the South Carolina map, it’s a frustrating place to vote. I’ll tell you this though: Donald Trump has upended a lot and weird poo poo is going down. If things are going to change, it’s now. However, if you do nothing, then nothing will change.
In addition to this, there’s a constitutional amendment on the ballot. From what I can tell (please look this up yourself since I’m pretty far removed from the situation and this is at a glance) the governor wants the state superintendent of education under his thumb rather than have it be an elected position. People may vote for the governor, but they really could go either way on this and it’s an important issue.

You also have local candidates and measures like bonds and levies for schools that I can’t really describe without knowing what district your friend is in. Positions like county clerk or board member of your local community college is where baby politicians get their wings and people don’t always pay attention to those. As for levies for schools, response can vary widely regardless of political party.
In the end, voting is well worth the effort since you can definitely make an impact on the constitutional amendment and district/county measures and the stakes at the state/national level are high. Also, it’s your civic duty, so get out there!

Fake edit: Also not mentioned in previous posts, The League of Women Voters and Vote411. Enter your address and the site will pull up all of your candidates and their positions. The positions come from the candidates in response to questions from the LVW, so there are a few people who may not answer. It's incredibly useful for school board or state representative look ups.

• Locked thread