Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Scored a new personal best today with a HOCA - http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/offering/morgue-offering-20230328-210535.txt

It's a combo high score, though I don't expect that to last too long.

Found a few powerful unrandarts that made me think very carefully about my build. One was the Dark Maul (52 base damage but mindelay 1.6), which I skipped because the speed penalty would make me too vulnerable to being surrounded and blocked from reaching a torment caster. Swapping over to an axe would have been an option, but didn't want to level both skills. The seven-league boots were a more difficult call. Rampaging any distance seems incredibly powerful and good for turn count too. I think a better crawler would have taken them, but I felt like I didn't have the mental resources to not screw it up. The scenario I was worried about was closing fast and revealing more enemies than I could handle. Though I guess that can be avoided by backpedaling into a hallway. I also didn't understand how they would interact with attacks of opportunity or clouds.

The other unrandart was an Amulet of Air, which I tried for a little bit, but gave up in favor of a simple regen amulet. Seemed like I was actually missing more often, which I didn't care for, and I didn't think repel missiles was going to be that big in the remaining branches (Tomb, Dis, Tart).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
The +9 chain mail "Zauromai" {Slay+5} made my armor progression a little more interesting. In the series of failed HOCA games leading up to this plate would take over around XL 12.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Started a new casual tournament clan, since PakistaniPitt's is full now

Let me know if you'd like to join MasterfullyIllustrated_GrenadeLogo

code:
# TEAMCAPTAIN offering

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
If a spot is open on SummonAwfulThings I'll happily take it. Nobody asked to join my overflow clan and we're close the Jan 26 clan freeze.

Player name is "offering".

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Ok, I added you in stoat's spot, sorry about that stoats.

Thanks! Updated my crawlrc.

Trying to decide if my 3-rune TeAE should become my first hells attempt of 0.31 or just try to lock in a win.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Chickened out and took the ascension with 7 runes.

Hell is very scary these days. I'm not sure what capability I was waiting for. This TeAE had pretty much everything.

I think I got psyched out after a Demonspawn Warmonger landed two 60 dmg crossbow hits on consecutive turns, reducing me to 40 hp on the outskirts of Cerebov's realm. Stuff like that and hurled damnation were the real threats. MCC trivialized Cerebov and Lom Lobon after he chased me down.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/offering/morgue-offering-20240127-143655.txt

perfluorosapien fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 27, 2024

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
On D2 as MfIE:
You find the +9 dagger of Attainder {flame, rElec, RC+, Will+, Str+3}

Clearly god wants me to win this one. Or serve as an example of how He punishes hubris. One or the other.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
On D8, same game:
You find the +8 pair of quick blades "Gyre" and "Gimble"

It's trying very hard to tempt me into a stabber build, but in all my years of crawl I've never ascended that way.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
With 3 runes in hand I really thought this GrEE would make it.

Crypt 3 was going great. I pulled off essentially a bank robbery, walking up to the exterior wall of the vault and shattering my way through it. Boris and his SWAT team rolled straight into a tommy gun ambush. I was picking through the loot and thinking about how to manage my spell set, when Jory walked up and blew me up with an LCS shot. If I had stopped to check his spell list I probably would have been OK, but I assumed I had already handled all of the dangerous stuff and wasted a bunch of turns letting my LCS servitor handle him. The motivation for wasting turns was conserving Sif Muna piety (this was incredibly dumb).

Sadly I won't have more big chunks of time this week to try to put another win on the board.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/offering/morgue-offering-20240129-143341.txt

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Did something new and exciting today: killed the Royal Jelly as as GrEE with Maxwell's Capacitative Coupling via Sif Muna's Divine Exegesis. Not totally satisfied with this approach as I had to spend a blinking scroll and spend many turns picking apart the spawns.

EightFlyingCars posted:

i got my second 15-rune win with a shifterpode. talismans tend to meld a bunch of your equipment but they never meld rings, so why not pick the species that wears eight of them?

Nice! I want to try this sometime. Octopode is the species I've attempted most without ever ascending.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
This is BS. It would be easy to wrap a scarf around an octopus.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

In my experience the gimmick is that I get knocked off the upstairs and die

Seeing the world through elephant-colored glasses

EightFlyingCars posted:

now's your chance, it's really strong.

Tried this. Rolled OpMo because I felt traditional. Found a flux talisman and became a glowy shapeshifter of Elyvilon.

Going OK at Lair 1. This should be a power spike thanks to Ely's Heal Other being 3x effective on animals. Only 3 usable rings so far. Early acquirement got me a plain rPois ring.

Two-headed ogres are really terrifying to deal with. Spent many wand charges on them. Too many HD to heal off with Ely, too large damage bursts to beat up unassisted, and I have to shift out of flux form to use the poison dart method that I've always preferred.

Live morgue is here. Will try to follow advice if it arrives before I splat this little guy.

Edit: Looks like I need to quit Good Gods Inc. if I want the really broken death form octopode experience.

perfluorosapien fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 3, 2024

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler

Vadun posted:

I could use some advice on what to do after Orc and Lair if I haven't found a single relevant resist for Shoals/Spider/Snake etc.

rpois has been eluding me most of this tourney, haven't managed to get a single rune yet

Tough spot if you've cleared through D15 and L5 and even Orc2 and Ctrl+F rPois comes up empty. I lost my first tournament character (a MiGl) attempting Elf1 in that situation.

Conventional wisdom requires rPois for spider nest and snake pit. Maybe not so much for shoals. Swamp hosts hornets and poison breathing dragons, but most encounters don't feature poison. Could try to get through with consumables (cure pot, resist pot) and using strong abilities to handle poison threats early.

Just glancing at your history and recent tourney games, you have a very fast and punchy playstyle. I see a win in under 3 hours, which I don't think I've ever managed, and a lot of games that are in the middle of the lair in 15 minutes. The advice I would offer is to be a little more tenacious. Don't give in to death so easily. Finding yourself outmatched in a potentially lethal situation is not a sign of bad item luck or a poor build choice. The solution is not to re-roll. Sometimes you have to shift down into first gear and go slow around a hazard. Think through all of the resources at your disposal and remember that you'll go to hell if you die with unused (good) consumables.

Sometimes I throw games because, in a dangerous spot, I sort of go on tilt, assuming that my build should be strong enough to carry me, and thinking of all the really fast players at the top of the ranking, or someone's post about auto-tabbing through an allrune game. When this happens it usually takes the form of "yeah that thing is almost dead, I'll just attack/cast one more time, no need to burn one of my five blink scrolls / a chunk of piety / 2 minutes of real time" and then a game I spent 90 minutes on is toast.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler

Vadun posted:

Thanks, that's great advice. I mostly play on CBRO now, but I'm not sure how to pull up my history there. I think my total wins are that Centaur, a Deep Dwarf of Makhleb and a Minotaur of Okawaru. all 3 Runers
Tournament is over in 5 minutes and I didn't manage to get a rune this time, which is kind of depressing.

The player stats pages are kinda weird. Sometimes CAO aggregates games from other servers but I don't know exactly how it works. My own stats are missing all my tourney games, but for some reason include post-tourney games with the same username on the same server.

Glad you found the advice helpful. How would you feel if I went into more detail about your last tournament game that ended on Orc 2? I read the morgue file earlier and have some thoughts on it.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler

Vadun posted:

Please do. I assumed that was going to be my last run of the day so I probably should have taken it a little slower

OK, this will be fun. Thanks for volunteering. I want to say that I think this was a good game and a legit attempt, and I'm happy that you joined the SA clan for the tournament. I hope we'll have another go at it next time.

Let's start with the last thing you saw before you died.

Normally this character is more than a match for the knight and priest. In fact you're standing near the corpses of a nastier patrol (2x knight, 1 high priest) you just slaughtered. But this low on health and post-berserk, being in melee contact with a might-buffed heavy attacker is an emergency that justifies burning a panic-button consumable. You can eat two hits in a row due to low speed. The priest can smite through armor. Fear scroll, blink scroll, and heal wounds pot were available. Since berserk expired, these options existed and the frame didn't need to be lethal. Fear or blink followed by tele could have bought time to recover and pick this patrol apart.

But how did this situation develop?

Stepping back 8 turns, this is where the patrol spots you, already in a berserk state and low on health. Normally this would be the time to break out a wand, a curare dart, a tele scroll, maybe even brothers in arms, but it's not possible here due to berserk status. So this frame is a judgment call: stand and try to kill an armored knight before berserk wears off, with the risk of having to fight while slowed, or backpedal with intent to read tele as soon as zerk expires.

So why berserk?

OK, I understand berserking here. Your Demonspawn berserker shines in this fight. You killed all these guys despite being repeatedly tasered with a holy wrath long sword. Sanguine armor, nice.

It's not risk free because these knights can always high-roll through your formidable armor. If you had wanted to soften them up before berserk, spending an acid wand charge would have been reasonable, or popping heal wounds. Wand of Charming was also available. With evocations trained there would have been a good chance to make one of the knights fight its companions. Pretty sure you can force attack an ally while berserk, to avoid having to fight after charming and berserk have worn off.

Well, that's the play-by-play of the fatal encounter. But let's take a look at one more.

Here's Vadun innocently auto-exploring on Orc 2. Oh look, a priest, let's mangle him.

A pair of knights watch over the priest. Still should be well within Vadun's capabilities.

Another knight, two more priests and a high priest. I'm starting to sweat.

:piss: Nessos too! :piss:

You are lethally poisoned! The wraith of Beogh is upon you! Pain shoots through your body!
6 turns elapsed since the previous screenshot. In that time we killed one orc priest and one vanilla orc.

And here's the tele on turn 18336 after consuming a cure pot and I think a heal wounds. Sort of miraculous that this tele actually goes off before a virtual deathstar of ranged damage ends the run. 8 turns earlier would have been a good time to pop tele. If fog had been ID'd, that would have been a reasonable scroll to read right after tele, just to save a couple turns of raking fire.

OK, that's enough play-by-play. What about the big picture? Did this character have some untapped resources that could have made Orc:2 easier?

code:

Wands
 q - a wand of mindburst (20) 
 w - a wand of acid (5) (quivered) 
 D - a wand of charming (19) 
 H - a wand of iceblast (10) 

Action                     |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 | 13-15 || total
---------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------++-------
  Melee: Spear             |   142 |   197 |    87 |       |       ||   426
         Tailslap          |    13 |    32 |    42 |   136 |   141 ||   364
         Punch             |     1 |     6 |     2 |    12 |     6 ||    27
         Halberd           |       |       |    40 |    14 |   422 ||   476
         Trident           |       |       |   144 |   851 |   440 ||  1435
         Bardiche          |       |       |       |     9 |     4 ||    13
 Invoke: Berserk           |       |     2 |     3 |    10 |     8 ||    23
  Evoke: Wand              |       |       |       |     1 |     1 ||     2  <--Just 2 zaps?!
    Use: Scroll            |       |     5 |       |       |     3 ||     8
         Potion            |       |       |       |     1 |     5 ||     6
   Stab: Distracted        |       |       |       |       |     1 ||     1
 Armour: Animal skin       |    18 |       |       |       |       ||    18
         Plate armour      |    58 |   118 |   232 |   645 |   365 ||  1418
         Fire dragon scale |       |       |       |       |   359 ||   359
  Dodge: Dodged            |    46 |    44 |   187 |   485 |   530 ||  1292
  Block: Other             |       |       |    19 |   141 |       ||   160
         Reflection        |       |       |     1 |     2 |       ||     3
I think the best advice I can offer in this whole writeup is to zap wands more.

Charming is basically worthless in the late game, so use it freely in early and mid game. Charm can make a huge difference. With L9 evocations, those orc knights probably would have become your pawns after 1-3 tries. Charges are plentiful so you can afford to use it early in the encounter when it will do the most good. This probably would have resolved the fatal encounter with the orc knight patrol. Sometimes you can charm even bigger enemies by reading a vuln scroll first.

Mindburst is also good to spend early on dummies like orc knights, but the effect much less than charm. Good way to soften things up from a distance. Even as a Trog-ite, you want to bleed your targets safely from a distance whenever you can. Shorter melees bring fewer adds.

Iceblast is great against squishy casters. If I were bound and determined to win the Nessos fight, I might have tried spamming iceblast on him and the high priests. Melee characters often die to the backline. Iceblast can delete the backline, if there's enough of a gap in the frontline to send it through.

Acid wand is the only one where I'd really want to conserve. But even a valuable wand is no good to a corpse. Instead of attacking the priest and vanilla orc, spamming acid at Nessos or the high priests might have been a way to get an advantage in a highly unfavorable fight. Even better if you can get a knight or two in the beam and corrode their weapons.

Aside from wands, dont forget the box of beasts and the other Trog abilities. Summons are great in difficult fights. They soak hits, they deal damage, they block for you and let you create distance if you need to escape. Brothers in Arms can turn difficult foes into red mist. The Nessos fight would have been dicey even with Bros and wand spam, possibly still ending in tele, but likely could have eliminated some of the dangerous enemies and made traveling less risky.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Gozag's Bribe Branch ability - is it a panic button that instantly neutralizes everyone around you?

I have a Gozagite about to enter Depths but I've never used this ability and not sure what to expect or how to plan around it.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I am still going with that shapeshifting octopode. Just wrecked Vault 5 pretty easily in statue form.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler

Jazerus posted:

what if they made hill orcs good and also added mountain dwarves back in

I hold exactly one high score on a live combo and if they retire Hill Orcs it will be pretty safe

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Finally achieved a goal I set during the last tourney, ascending an Octopode using the Shapeshifting skill.

15 runes with an OpBr of Vehumet. Started with darts and daggers, ended as an octolich with top level fire, earth and air spells.

This was my 82nd octopode and first species win since it was implemented.

https://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/offering/morgue-offering-20240502-130121.txt

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler

Annointed posted:

How did you survive the Hell Penalties and Drain/Stat Drain?

Handled drain by killing lots of dudes. There was a Tart level that wore me out and forced me to exit hell and re-descend, then I made another mistake and had to bail again. That was brutally draining, so I cleared tomb to recover my stats.

Cocytus - Can't drink potions anyway. rC+++. Prioritize firestorming all seracfall casters and simulacra. Use MCC on Antaeus.

Tartarus - Attempted this one second thinking that being undead would make it fairly easy. No. Tartarus nearly ended my run. One level had a vault where stairs up were on the center of a + layout with a tier 1 fiend on each point. Hard to deal with when reliant on firestorm as there's no good way to target. Using a scroll to reposition was reasonable, but I should have started with blink instead of trying to save one scroll by using tele.

I was terrified of Ereshkigal. Silence negates my whole build. On Tart 7, I very carefully drew away her Tzitzimimeh, and when she seemed alone, I dropped lichform to quaff haste and brilliance, resumed lichform, got aggro, read a blink scroll to get a couple of squares outside her LOS, and started an MCC timer. Next turn nothing. Then she entered LOS. Then she cast silence, but I was just outside the grid. If MCC hadn't popped on the next turn it would've been hamburger time.

Dis - Wore a +2 hat and a +4 prot ring to bring net AC to 0. With a kite shield it wasn't too bad. Shattered war gargoyles immediately on sight because of their metal splinter spray. Firestorm for caustic shrikes. MCC for Dispater. Had to try a couple of times because he'd summon hell sentinels at the last second.

Gehenna - Lack of scrolls means no S-tier escape ability. Had blink, the portal tloc spell, natural smoke clouds, a summoned servitor to swap spots with and swiftness to string together some kind of escape if needed, but it was never needed because I had the right high-level destructive magic for each encounter. Also had a ziggurat in my pocket - I think you can activate that to portal to safety once, but I've never tried it.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler

Annointed posted:

At this point, even after hundreds of wins in dcss I still don't get why play Sif Muna for casters. High invocations investment with no ability to improve spellcasting and book rng makes for not the best god when it comes to killing. I had better luck when I was playing a summoner of gozag because the loot and gold distraction helped keep me and summons alive.

She on par with Lugonu imo in terms of "why ever pick em".

Divine Exegesis casts high level spells without training their schools. Maybe Death's Door only needs 5-10 casts over the course of an allrune run and no other necro spells are desired.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Shop on D3 had a +3 hand cannon of electrocution

Can't believe I never tried one of these

Chei-worshipping gnoll hedge wizard with a damage rating of 35 on ranged attacks about to enter S branches

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Can anyone explain this to me?

The Crawl Wiki states that in statue form "All melee damage, including from weapons, is increased by 50% (after AC is applied)."

But melee-attack.cc appears to apply post-AC modifiers only for unarmed attacks and minotaur retaliation.

Am I missing something?

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Yeah player_apply_postac_multipliers is the function I’m interested in. What I meant to show with the two links is that melee-attack.cc only calls player_apply_postac_multipliers on two lines, one for unarmed attacks and one for minotaur retaliation. Even though the comment communicates an intent to apply the postac modifier generally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler

parthenocarpy posted:

Every action is 50% slower in statue form. The damage increase is just compensation for that

OK, I think I understand now. I got confused because I was looking for the postac adjustment call in melee-attack.cc, but it's really here in attack.cc and it works because melee_attack overrides the attack type's postac adjustment.

Time to try this out with my Chei-worshipping gnoll in trunk. Manifold assault should be really good now for statue form gnolls with high-damage melee weapons.

edit: hmm yes it feels good to kill Xtahua and Bai Suzhen simultaneously while also fending off vaults trash just by spamming one spell.

perfluorosapien fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 16, 2024