Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mayor Dave posted:

Anecdotally this was not the case for me, it's been months since I had a candy bar and I still look at them wistfully when I'm checking out. That doesn't mean you have to give in and just stuff em donlwn your throat though, and in any case you should still log your failures.

Most candy bars are 210 calories. You can budget around them easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cadaver_Maclaine posted:

I'm a long-distance runner, personally. I lift two to three times a week because I know it's good for me, but the exercise I actually look forward to, in so far as anyone ever does, is getting out and putting some distance on. Not to be that guy who finds any excuse to bring up his mileage I'll just say I cover a lot of ground on an average week, and can offer some decent-ish advice on running, since so far most discussion in thread is about either diet or weights (which are both also important!).

The main biggest piece of advice I'd give is to not be over-ambitious when you're starting out, particularly if you're overweight, as you don't want to destroy your knees and ankles. In a similar vein, get actually fitted with some goddamn running shoes, not just that which is advertised as such at Dick's.

To make the prospect of cardio that much more tempting, I'll add that I've never found a better way to kill a hangover than at a run of at least five miles.

speaking of, how do you feel about c25k as a recommendation for noobs as is the current case in the op

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

i joined a boxing gym a few months ago because i hate lifting weights and punching a bag is really good cardio and also fun. would also highly recommend walking up hills if you live somewhere with hills

eat eggs

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

PostNouveau posted:

Most candy bars are 210 calories. You can budget around them easily.

I'd rather not have the candy bar and use the cals for a beer instead

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
i posted a body work out that you can use if you are interested in kung fu which makes exercise 100% more interesting

namaste

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
oly lifts are a lot of fun but very difficult, i'd recommend them if you want to try something more technical that powerlifting. with weightlifting it can take months before you can get a sense of what a max feels and longer to actually start finding out where your max is. i'd recommend having an instructor but if not there are plenty of instructional videos on youtube and if your cellphone takes slow-motion videos you'll be able to identify problem areas with some practice (then it is a matter of finding out how to address the problem and that might require some googling or an instructor.) right now i take a dedicated class for an hour a week and sometimes practice them before doing a HIIT.

i have a few months off before i start uni again so for the past few months i've been in the gym 8 hours a week; powerlifting/HIIT 3 hours a week, functional bodybuilding 2 hours per week, targeted weight training with dumbbells 2 hours a week and a dedicated weightlifting class 1 hour per week. i'm minimizing cardio (don't really do any except for the HIIT) and i'm trying to put on as many kilograms in muscle mass as possible before january, while being careful not to injure myself while focusing on my diet and macros. wanna be the most ripped guy in the master's program which probably won't take much tbqh

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mayor Dave posted:

I'd rather not have the candy bar and use the cals for a beer instead

Good praxis

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Epic High Five posted:

speaking of, how do you feel about c25k as a recommendation for noobs as is the current case in the op

It is not the worst way to get into things, honestly, though not how I got started in my mid-20s so I am not as intimately familiar with it as some runners. One thing I do worry is that it fails to warn people just how bad their legs are going to feel at the end of their first several sessions. I mean sure, initially it breaks up the jogging segments with walking breaks, but still a lot of people just aren't going to have the needed leg strength and tone to not feel like a bowl of rubber afterward, and as stiff the next day as Mike Pence at the Kentucky Derby.

Still, it gets people up and moving, and that ain't nothing.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Cadaver_Maclaine posted:

I'm a long-distance runner, personally. I lift two to three times a week because I know it's good for me, but the exercise I actually look forward to, in so far as anyone ever does, is getting out and putting some distance on. Not to be that guy who finds any excuse to bring up his mileage I'll just say I cover a lot of ground on an average week, and can offer some decent-ish advice on running, since so far most discussion in thread is about either diet or weights (which are both also important!).

The main biggest piece of advice I'd give is to not be over-ambitious when you're starting out, particularly if you're overweight, as you don't want to destroy your knees and ankles. In a similar vein, get actually fitted with some goddamn running shoes, not just that which is advertised as such at Dick's.

To make the prospect of cardio that much more tempting, I'll add that I've never found a better way to kill a hangover than at a run of at least five miles.

running is loving great. it also helped me with the horrendous Texas heat. this summer wasn’t that hot for me, despite everyone around me not being able to handle even a couple minutes in the sun. I really can’t recommend it enough.

edit: ^^oh yeah, do be prepared for the leg pain. it’s real bad your first couple gos, especially if you didn’t properly stretch.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

hell yeah let's do this! i've been doing weight training for months now but i only just started getting back into cardio and it feels cool as hell. plus i do all my running outside so i get to watch the birds chill out :bird:

question: what's the deal with alcohol and calories?? is liquor better than beer from a caloric standpoint as long as i'm ingesting the same amounts of ethanol?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

cool dance moves posted:

hell yeah let's do this! i've been doing weight training for months now but i only just started getting back into cardio and it feels cool as hell. plus i do all my running outside so i get to watch the birds chill out :bird:

question: what's the deal with alcohol and calories?? is liquor better than beer from a caloric standpoint as long as i'm ingesting the same amounts of ethanol?

Get a calorie tracking program

Vodka whiskey bourbon rum etc are all about 70 calories a shot. Most beers are 200-250 for the same amount of alcohol. Wine varies wildly

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

liquor still causes some sort of blood sugar response (it's complicated) but 8 oz of vodka definitely has a lot less calories and way more ABV than 8 oz of beer. mix it with some soda water/la croix if you want to get drunk but don't like taking shots

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

cool dance moves posted:

either work fine the most important part is consuming as much as you can before you hit the gym (known as preworkout) in order to push past the pain you may get from poor form. Once you build enough muscle the whole form issue goes away entirely and you can focus on more weight

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bourbon baby

Hey maclaine do you recommend tubbos lose weight before getting serious about running or is it fine to go ham whenever and knee blowout is unlikely

baw
Nov 5, 2008

i miss running but i didnt want to be another skinny vegetarian so i had to trade in the running shoes for the barbell two years ago

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Epic High Five posted:

Bourbon baby

Hey maclaine do you recommend tubbos lose weight before getting serious about running or is it fine to go ham whenever and knee blowout is unlikely

Standard disclaimer: If you take medical advice from a maniacal historian who for some reason volunteered to mod a subforum of alcoholic nihilists, you really have no one but yourself to blame if it goes sideways.

~*that having been said*~

It really depends how heavy we're talking. If you're genuinely obese, just jumping right into running might not be the best idea without some conditioning/weight loss beforehand because again, the more weight you bring to the party the harder it'll be on your joints. And no, you're not likely to blow out a knee (because you'll have died of a heart attack first lol) particularly if you're still in your 20s, but what's more likely is you'll end up in such pain afterward that you'll give up.

Seriously though, if you're really genuinely overweight, talk to a doctor first, presuming you can do so without risking medical bankruptcy.

baw posted:

i miss running but i didnt want to be another skinny vegetarian so i had to trade in the running shoes for the barbell two years ago

That reminds me: while cardio and weight training aren't exactly antithetical to one another, they can work at cross purposes. The more you get jacked, the more weight you'll probably have to bring with you down the track, and there's a reason we tease the big ripped guys at races about how their arms will be stumps by mile ten. Which is not to say you can't get lean and strong, but it'll be a balancing act.

Captain_Maclaine has issued a correction as of 20:17 on Oct 9, 2018

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
c25k is good for complete novice runners.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

ck2 is good during the evenings after a healthy supper

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
if you are super fat you should hit the stationary bike until your weight is under better control or else you risk plantar fasciitis and other lovely ailments as a runner

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cadaver_Maclaine posted:

Standard disclaimer: If you take medical advice from a maniacal historian who for some reason volunteered to mod a subforum of alcoholic nihilists, you really have no one but yourself to blame if it goes sideways.

~*that having been said*~

It really depends how heavy we're talking. If you're genuinely obese, just jumping right into running might not be the best idea without some conditioning/weight loss beforehand because again, the more weight you bring to the party the harder it'll be on your joints. And no, you're not likely to blow out a knee (because you'll have died of a heart attack first lol) particularly if you're still in your 20s, but what's more likely is you'll end up in such pain afterward that you'll give up.

Seriously though, if you're really genuinely overweight, talk to a doctor first, presuming you can do so without risking medical bankruptcy.

That reminds me: while cardio and weight training aren't exactly antithetical to one another, they can work at cross purposes. The more you get jacked, the more weight you'll probably have to bring with you down the track, and there's a reason we tease the big ripped guys at races about how their arms will be stumps by mile ten.

good thing I'm a healthy 239 pounds just like MY PRESIDENT

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Epic High Five posted:

good thing I'm a healthy 239 pounds just like MY PRESIDENT

I think I can safely say that if you're a morbidly obese septuagenarian who eats fast food multiple times a week and sees stars after climbing a single step, running may not be the best idea for you in the near term.

Agronox posted:

if you are super fat you should hit the stationary bike until your weight is under better control or else you risk plantar fasciitis and other lovely ailments as a runner

Shin splints too, come to think of it.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

sloppo posted:

do any of you nerds use a rowing machine (erg)? i have never understood what a normal or respectable pace is on a rowing machine. sometimes i can't tell if i'm just dicking around or if i'm just in the groove, because on a good day i end up stopping out of boredom rather than getting tired

most of the opinions i see on the topic come from people who give way too much of a poo poo & therefore i will never trust anything they say

please provide some kind of equation that translates manual aquatic metrics into something useful, my invisible boat is dying

Rowing resistance is really weird because more drag is not like increasing the speed on a treadmill or the resistance on a bike. At the lowest resistance levels your splits will likely be slower because it demands fast and powerful strokes to keep the pace up

I have a different problem, I've done 500m in 1:34 but I've also had to stop in the middle of 2000m rows because I'm just gassed, I have no idea how to row at moderate intensity

gently caress I need to go to the gym, six months ago I was squatting 440 for reps, and last time I tried I struggled with a set of 308. Not today, sadbrains

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

tinstaach posted:

Rowing resistance is really weird because more drag is not like increasing the speed on a treadmill or the resistance on a bike. At the lowest resistance levels your splits will likely be slower because it demands fast and powerful strokes to keep the pace up

I have a different problem, I've done 500m in 1:34 but I've also had to stop in the middle of 2000m rows because I'm just gassed, I have no idea how to row at moderate intensity

gently caress I need to go to the gym, six months ago I was squatting 440 for reps, and last time I tried I struggled with a set of 308. Not today, sadbrains

the muscle remembers, you'll be back to the old numbers soon

baw
Nov 5, 2008

for rowing machines i usually aim to do intervals of 12-14 calories at 6-7 resistance every minute, stopping at 40 seconds if i haven't hit my number. do that for ten minutes and you'll be feeling pretty good

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

whenever i tried to run while fat i just immediately got shin splints that never went away. this includes the year in high school i played football, ran nearly every weekday for 8 months, and had horrible shin splints the entire time

ymmv though maybe i just ran wrong

baw
Nov 5, 2008

also be sure your technique is good because i see a lot of people being super inefficient on the rowing machines. you gotta time your leg bend so that your hands are always moving parallel to the ground, rather than going up and over your knees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnGwdJD8enU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Park in the farthest spot from where you are shopping, every bit adds up

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

the bitcoin of weed posted:

whenever i tried to run while fat i just immediately got shin splints that never went away. this includes the year in high school i played football, ran nearly every weekday for 8 months, and had horrible shin splints the entire time

ymmv though maybe i just ran wrong

Could've been your shoes in conjunction with being overweight, lot of things can contribute to those fuckers. Plus they tend to only get worse if you try to tough it out and run through the pain.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

better yet, ride a bike and do some work on the communal farm with your syndic comrades

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cadaver_Maclaine posted:

Could've been your shoes in conjunction with being overweight, lot of things can contribute to those fuckers. Plus they tend to only get worse if you try to tough it out and run through the pain.

me? i prefer to run barefoot, let me tell you about a book I just read called born to run

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
what do you guys think about intermittent fasting, is that good or bullshit

I've been doing the 9 hour eating window for a couple weeks and I have noticed that I'm losing some weight and poo poo, it could purely just be because I'm eliminating a couple hundred calories of random night snacks tho and not because of any like special body processes or anything

also like how much should I be giving myself a break on couch 2 5k if I'm running in a hilly area

I had a real hard time with going to the parts where it's just a solid 20-25 mins of jogging since it's a big jump from the sets of 8 minutes or whatever's before it, but maybe I'm doing it in hardmode since half of the laps are like going uphill

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Epic High Five posted:

better yet, ride a bike and do some work on the communal farm with your syndic comrades

walk and take public transportation too, if possible. even if it's a lovely bus line. plus you'll be supporting mass public transit :bern101:

Cadaver_Maclaine posted:

oh holy gently caress this explains so much. i took a crack at running some months ago but i got shin splints all the time. threw out those shoes (they were real old and falling apart anyways), got some new ones, and i don't get splints anymore!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

what do you guys think about intermittent fasting, is that good or bullshit

I've been doing the 9 hour eating window for a couple weeks and I have noticed that I'm losing some weight and poo poo, it could purely just be because I'm eliminating a couple hundred calories of random night snacks tho and not because of any like special body processes or anything

I love it, for most people it consists of just skipping breakfast

I do noon-5

you stop getting hungry pretty quick, your body adapts and it's nice to be in the state of burning fat in the morning because it's a nice stable energy

It's doubly good for calorie restriction because you get to eat 1-2 big meals instead of browsing like a rabbit all day. There's some studies saying that IF w/o calorie restriction results in body comp changes because being fasted means lots more test and HGH, but the results were modest. Odds are if you're losing weight it's because you're eating less because of a smaller window

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

cool dance moves posted:

oh holy gently caress this explains so much. i took a crack at running some months ago but i got shin splints all the time. threw out those shoes (they were real old and falling apart anyways), got some new ones, and i don't get splints anymore!

Yeah it's hard to overstate how important appropriate footwear is to not hurting yourself. Shin splints result, speaking broadly, from the impact of each stride landing traveling up the leg and wrecking poo poo up. Being too fat, having lovely shoes, inadequate arch support, all factor into it.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I've been eating from like 11-8, I have sort of a weird schedule so I get up at like 10:30, eat brunch at 11, eat dinner at 5 or 6 then like a snack at 8 so I don't get super hungry and then don't eat until the next morning, going to bed at like 2-3 AM

I actually have an easier time skipping late meals than I do breakfast, I pretty much wake up hungry

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah I've been eating from like 11-8, I have sort of a weird schedule so I get up at like 10:30, eat brunch at 11, eat dinner at 5 or 6 then like a snack at 8 so I don't get super hungry and then don't eat until the next morning, going to bed at like 2-3 AM

I actually have an easier time skipping late meals than I do breakfast, I pretty much wake up hungry

I'd say skip the snack or replaced it with someone zero or low calorie like a bunch of veggies or smtg, you'll stop getting hungry late and get better results

that, or if you're looking to extend the window, just move your brunch up to 1pm or so

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

I'd say skip the snack or replaced it with someone zero or low calorie like a bunch of veggies or smtg, you'll stop getting hungry late and get better results

that, or if you're looking to extend the window, just move your brunch up to 1pm or so

Do you think it's important to make the window smaller than 9 hours?

I watched a clip a friend sent me of someone named Rhonda Patrick on JOE ROGAN (I know but afaik he has some guests that aren't poo poo sometimes and I think she might be one of them?) and she was saying their tests showed a lot of improvement at 9 hours and I figured that's like pretty easy to do so I'd stick with that

I mean I could just eat more at 5 and it'd probably work also

She emphasized being incredibly strict about consuming no calories outside the window, like no herbal tea, no multivitamin, etc, I'm a little unclear whether doing things like taking a melatonin pill that might have a calorie or something or like taking a medication at night would gently caress it up

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

Do you think it's important to make the window smaller than 9 hours?

I watched a clip a friend sent me of someone named Rhonda Patrick on JOE ROGAN (I know but afaik he has some guests that aren't poo poo sometimes and I think she might be one of them?) and she was saying their tests showed a lot of improvement at 9 hours and I figured that's like pretty easy to do so I'd stick with that

naw that should be fine, just a thought if you ever wanna switch it up

as a general rule with fitness, you shouldn't change anything just for the sake of changing them. Save shakeups for when you're bored of it or you plateau

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Business Gorillas posted:

Just wanna add onto these a little bit:

drink water - water fuckin owns, try to get a gallon a day. You can do what I did and get a quart jug for work, but whatever works. This is a really good way to kill snacking, as you'll both be full and eventually replace that "I'm bored, lemme get a snack" with "I'm bored, lemme get some water"

On this note, chewing gum is awesome for taking care of snacking/dessert cravings too! They have virtually no calories (mine has only 2.5 cals apiece) and you still get some flavor out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I don't think tea has any calories (depends in the tea I guess? most of the flavors come from dissolved essential oils which your body could in theory digest) as long as you don't put anything like milk or sugar in it of course