Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Anyone have any good >50g protein meal preps? I've been doing josh Cortis stuff for a while and wouldn't mind a change of scenery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Does the shifting of more programs moving to a monthly subscription instead of a pdf/spreadsheet you download count as enshittification? Not very cool!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i lifted for the first time in about six weeks yesterday and my legs HURT

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

i lifted for the first time in about six weeks yesterday and my legs HURT

doms ftw

I started some light strength stuff again on top of the 30-40 weekly miles I've been running and my legs want to beat me to death with themselves. feels good tho

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

I got a door anchor and now I can yank real hard on a giant rubber band pointed straight at my face. owns

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

lol i got quad doms from a 2.5 mile downhill while cross country skiing over the weekend

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

net work error posted:

Does the shifting of more programs moving to a monthly subscription instead of a pdf/spreadsheet you download count as enshittification? Not very cool!

Sucks RP can’t make me delete their old templates (that I never use)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.facebook.com/reel/408849534988424/?referral_source=native_in_feed_unit

this first tip seems dangerous

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

no she's right, clipless is a fine way to bench if you don't have a spotter or safeties. beats rolling it down your chest when there's a lot of weight on the bar

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah maybe it's just dangerous if there are other people around you, and if there are other people you could have a spotter

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i am my own spotter

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I just don't bench.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

still can't get over a rotator cuff injury from like 18 months ago. I can do rows and pullups but a single pushup is really painful

I do lots of specific band exercises for it and can feel myself getting stronger but the pain doesn't go away

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
It took me almost 5 years to recover from a shoulder injury I got during BJJ practice. I found ways to sort of train around the injury, but it was definitely a trial and error type process. Condolences, shoulder issues suck.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Injury chat: I've been dealing with some elbow pain which I guess is golfers elbow. It's been slowly getting better but it sucks because I can snatch and front squat can't do like barbell rows or anything where I hold hanging weight.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
after months of plateauing I finally set a PR for 5 rep sets of bench press...

at 150

:negative:

but hey it's something

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

shoulder injury crew checking in. it's been intermittent since 2022, but got a lot worse in June '23. I can't do dumbbell chest flyes with more than 5lbs without excruciating pain, but behind-the-neck presses and all pull movements are fine.

started working with a promising physio and have an MRI scheduled for tomorrow.

my left knee is also in bad shape so I've been slowly getting into cycling so I can chase PRs and gains somehow. Strava is pretty cool for that.

diet has been on point at least, not that it looks like it

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
That PT I saw fixed literally all my problems, some of which have been with me for over a decade. Just win the PT lotto, problems solved.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i went to a physical therapist for a few weeks until i got an idea of all the exercises they wanted me to do and then just did them at home instead of driving an hour each way. the exercises definitely help me work around it like another poster said but i don't feel it itself getting better

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The guy on the platform next to me was going for a PR but I was too awkward to give him kudos or fistbump. Maybe next time.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I hugged a gym stranger today after he made his 2nd squat PR attempt of 230. looked like he was on the light side of 84kg class. I spotted both attempts with 3 others. the first one he gassed out right out of the hole, then he put on knee sleeves and griiiinded it out the second time around. lots of yelling and good vibes

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I live across the street from a university with the state-of-the-art flagship gym about six blocks away and a small annex gym one block away. it's $45/month, but I've been slowly getting a home gym together with a bench and dumbbells in pairs of 10s, 25s and 35s which let me do most all I want to do. the gym would have heated lap pools, a sauna, and the opportunity for bar exercises, which I've never done before. it would also be full of university kids that don't clean the equipment and I'd probably stick out. do I spend money on dumbbells or a membership?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

i say swears online posted:

I live across the street from a university with the state-of-the-art flagship gym about six blocks away and a small annex gym one block away. it's $45/month, but I've been slowly getting a home gym together with a bench and dumbbells in pairs of 10s, 25s and 35s which let me do most all I want to do. the gym would have heated lap pools, a sauna, and the opportunity for bar exercises, which I've never done before. it would also be full of university kids that don't clean the equipment and I'd probably stick out. do I spend money on dumbbells or a membership?

I think the real answer is whichever leads to a durable strength training habit.

Personally, I'd absolutely take advantage of access to that kind of gym. Depending on your work schedule, it's pretty easy to figure out the Peak Bro times and when it's quieter. It's also likely that it's more diverse than you imagine, with retirees, professors, etc at off-hours. If they don't require a yearly contract than there's nothing to lose by giving it a shot for a couple months.

But of course ylls is full of successful home gym havers

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
My home gym is just an old barbell with plates, a pull up bar, kettlebells and a jump rope. I don't have much time to work out because of kids and work, so I've been running that Dan John easy strength program almost exclusively. That doesn't require much equipment. We do have a gym membership but that's mainly for my wife's classes, and the kid's club. The hot tub is nice though. If I ever get free time again I'll probably go more often.

Question: When people refer to a 'thick bar' deadlift, do they mean double overhand, or with a mixed grip? I bought some fat grips for the bar and have been doing my deadlifts with a double overhand grip. Just curious.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I think I'mma check out a membership and if they have gymnast rings that'll decide it

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Greg Legg posted:

Question: When people refer to a 'thick bar' deadlift, do they mean double overhand, or with a mixed grip? I bought some fat grips for the bar and have been doing my deadlifts with a double overhand grip. Just curious.

it's either, right? you can use it to train the grip you use in competition, or focus on double overhand if general-purpose grip strength and forearm hypertrophy is the goal

they're also good on a pullup bar

oh and I think thicc bar deadlift is sometimes a strongman event?

040324_2
Apr 3, 2024
Smug Fitness Fascists with no Military

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

webcams for christ posted:

he gassed out right out of the hole

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I go to an open CrossFit gym. Basically set up like a CrossFit gym but run like an anytime fitness. It’s 90% old (30s) broken down crossfitters. No classes because at this point we all know what we can and can’t do.

It’s cheap and clean so you get a few non crossfitters and that’s fine.

The music is whomever wants to play something, so there’s an unspoken rule to try to keep it generic as possible and something good to work out to.

THIS loving GUY gets here before me every morning. He jumps rope and does ab mat sit ups in a squat rack (the best one) five days a week. He’s barefoot. He puts on his own music from his phone which is all like 20 minute Trey Anastacio covers of Layla.

He always beats the morning crew and no one comes anymore because of the vibes.

I don’t have the heart to tell him 5am at a CrossFit gym is not the place for Billy Strings.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Finally he’s gone.

Time to unfuck the speaker system he never resets and listen to Full Collapse while I do my front squats.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I go to the YMCA and it's a chill great time where everyone has fun

A bro asked me for a spot the other day for the first time and I felt good about that

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Phish does not cover up the sound of my knees crackling.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Also 67k NK male clean and jerking 189k for a new world record.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5VlOhkvoBb/?igsh=NmNndnZpb2ludzNq

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The iwf world cup going on has been cool. People are really going after it because of the Olympics rule change on how many lifters you can send.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hit a snatch PR today. It's not much but it's something.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This loving girl started lifting like three years ago and snatches like a crossfitter in 2014 and she is throwing this around like it’s a toy.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5ipZLJyMid/?igsh=MTJxMndubmdzcXd0bg==

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

are you saying her form is bad?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Solfrid is cool as hell. She's been bouncing around different weight classes and been owning in each one.

I'm all in on the great American hope Olivia Reeves. She's going to make American weightlifting great as long as she doesn't pop positive on a drug test

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

i say swears online posted:

are you saying her form is bad?

Not bad exactly, but not great, and definitely nowhere near her natural strength and ability.

Look at that bar path. Doesn’t really pull her knees back and she almost loses it behind her because she’s a little loopy at the top. That’s why her catch is a little wonky.

of course it doesn’t matter if you’re strong as poo poo. look how high she jumps off the floor. Good lord she’s athletic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5dn8oSNpui/?hl=en

okay watching these two back-to-back it's easy to tell