Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I don't think tea has any calories (depends in the tea I guess? most of the flavors come from dissolved essential oils which your body could in theory digest) as long as you don't put anything like milk or sugar in it of course

naw tea only has as many calories as you add to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Epic High Five posted:

naw tea only has as many calories as you add to it

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
yea idk maybe her point wasn't about calories I have no idea she was just very specific don't consume anything but water and it's her field of study so I dunno

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
I can endorse starting strength. Didn't work out for a long time some basically started from scratch. For from 10kg squats en 20kg deadlift to 100kg each.

My bench press isn't impressive tho (40kg) and my shoulder press makes me cry (25kg) but I like being able to throw weights around.

I might switch to a different program cause I don't feel like doing cleanses in my gym. Because 1) I am very not used to them and 2) my gym is crowded and I am afraid I'll hurt others.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

:allears: takes me right back to that no-carb thread in YLLS

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

yea idk maybe her point wasn't about calories I have no idea she was just very specific don't consume anything but water and it's her field of study so I dunno

I chug coffee and tea all day and it hasn't nuked any of my progress, it's fine

Martin BadClixx posted:

I can endorse starting strength. Didn't work out for a long time some basically started from scratch. For from 10kg squats en 20kg deadlift to 100kg each.

My bench press isn't impressive tho (40kg) and my shoulder press makes me cry (25kg) but I like being able to throw weights around.

I might switch to a different program cause I don't feel like doing cleanses in my gym. Because 1) I am very not used to them and 2) my gym is crowded and I am afraid I'll hurt others.

there's SS variants without cleans, IIRC they're usually replaced with barbell rows

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

cool dance moves posted:

:allears: takes me right back to that no-carb thread in YLLS

A goon resembling a melted candle, the pied-piper of ham joints...

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Epic High Five posted:

I chug coffee and tea all day and it hasn't nuked any of my progress, it's fine

there's SS variants without cleans, IIRC they're usually replaced with barbell rows

I saw 5x5 doing that too. I'll check it out. Thanks

Also, for the aspiring runners: please get some decent shoes as someone said earlier. I know someone who wrecked a knee running with cheap shoes for a long long time.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Epic High Five posted:

The last time I tried to get into lifting the program I used as exactly this

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Stefan Prodan posted:

what do you guys think about intermittent fasting, is that good or bullshit

I've been doing the 9 hour eating window for a couple weeks and I have noticed that I'm losing some weight and poo poo, it could purely just be because I'm eliminating a couple hundred calories of random night snacks tho and not because of any like special body processes or anything

also like how much should I be giving myself a break on couch 2 5k if I'm running in a hilly area

I had a real hard time with going to the parts where it's just a solid 20-25 mins of jogging since it's a big jump from the sets of 8 minutes or whatever's before it, but maybe I'm doing it in hardmode since half of the laps are like going uphill

Yeah this is pretty much it

You can dress it up in all the pseudoscience you want but you lose weight because calories in < calories out

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Business Gorillas posted:

Yeah this is pretty much it

You can dress it up in all the pseudoscience you want but you lose weight because calories in < calories out

i mean i dunno if it's pseudoscience or not, it sounded like they had done actual university controlled studies on it that had yielded interesting results but whatever, I guess I don't really care if it works

basically same reason I thought atkins worked well for me, it made it easy to eat good macros and not overeat and not be hungry

I don't do it anymore but I had good results on it for whatever reason

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

i mean i dunno if it's pseudoscience or not, it sounded like they had done actual university controlled studies on it that had yielded interesting results but whatever, I guess I don't really care if it works

basically same reason I thought atkins worked well for me, it made it easy to eat good macros and not overeat and not be hungry

I don't do it anymore but I had good results on it for whatever reason

there were, but the results in these cases are generally extremely modest

there can be a scientifically significant difference between the control and IF+no cal restriction groups but it turns out that the difference is 0.25lbs over 6 months

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

there were, but the results in these cases are generally extremely modest

there can be a scientifically significant difference between the control and IF+no cal restriction groups but it turns out that the difference is 0.25lbs over 6 months

yeah makes sense

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

speaking of, how do you feel about c25k as a recommendation for noobs as is the current case in the op

I finished the drat thing, after ... like way more failed attempts than I want to admit. By the end of it, I was just like "Was this even a good goal to begin with?" I can't even get my speed up to a respectable level because I get stitches after like 10 minutes if I go at a pace that isn't "barely jogging".

I think it depends on goals. If the noob is starting where I am, a fat gently caress doing calorie counting and getting to the gym to lose weight, they should probably start somewhere other than c25k. It's loving miserable for a fatass, and you could just walk for a few more minutes and burn the same amount of calories.

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Metal Cat has issued a correction as of 21:47 on Oct 23, 2021

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Addamere parachute spotted

JK, swimming is good and may I also add that it's low impact for all the people with bad/fat bodies that can't do running

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

I finished the drat thing, after ... like way more failed attempts than I want to admit. By the end of it, I was just like "Was this even a good goal to begin with?" I can't even get my speed up to a respectable level because I get stitches after like 10 minutes if I go at a pace that isn't "barely jogging".

I think it depends on goals. If the noob is starting where I am, a fat gently caress doing calorie counting and getting to the gym to lose weight, they should probably start somewhere other than c25k. It's loving miserable for a fatass, and you could just walk for a few more minutes and burn the same amount of calories.

if you are doing c25k, you should not care one poo poo about your time. not one iota of care. your job is to do a certain distance on your feet and without stopping. if you are jogging a 13 minute mile for your c25k, that is perfectly fine. speed will come later.

if you are getting side stitches you are most likely either trying to go too fast, loving up your breathing, or went out too soon after a meal.

stick with it and do not give up. train for speed later. a novice needs distance.

ganbare

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Agronox posted:

if you are doing c25k, you should not care one poo poo about your time. not one iota of care. your job is to do a certain distance on your feet and without stopping. if you are jogging a 13 minute mile for your c25k, that is perfectly fine. speed will come later.

if you are getting side stitches you are most likely either trying to go too fast, loving up your breathing, or went out too soon after a meal.

stick with it and do not give up. train for speed later. a novice needs distance.

ganbare

I fuckin hate running, I can never figure out the proper breathing cadence and my throat feels like it's closing up and it sucks rear end

Running "The Worst Exercise" I do not respect it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

mad.radhu posted:

I fuckin hate running, I can never figure out the proper breathing cadence and my throat feels like it's closing up and it sucks rear end

every inhalation should be as deep as humanly possible, and every exhalation should be an attempt to get all of the air out of your lungs

if you start seeing stars that means it's working, because you're now running so fast that it's like being in the enterprise going warp speed

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

mad.radhu posted:

Have you considered not running while simultaneously inhaling a bag of ground cinnamon?

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

mad.radhu posted:

keeping your diaphragm and other lower-torso muscles taut might help. like how you do deadlifts and squats--you don't puff out your belly, you hold it firmly so it can support your back as you do the lift. at least, that's one of the things that's helping me so far

as for cadence, you'll figure it out. controlled, steady breaths work best for me. i think.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I have similar problems running but I figured it was because my airways are all messed up and I cant get enough air through my nose. so I dont run, I bike. or take the car. wage slavery is all the workout i need.

anyway heres some inspiration pics of me. had some life changes in the last year and had to downsize my living arrangements, but if i can still lift so can you.

https://www.instagram.com/reezlie/

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Reality Pisser posted:

I have similar problems running but I figured it was because my airways are all messed up and I cant get enough air through my nose. so I dont run, I bike. or take the car. wage slavery is all the workout i need.

anyway heres some inspiration pics of me. had some life changes in the last year and had to downsize my living arrangements, but if i can still lift so can you.

I believe it's a burpee regimen now

marie sharps is a legit hot sauce

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a gym membership I don't use as much as I should, I'm bad about making a habit of it and since I'm going on my own I worry I can't certain stuff because I haven't worked out in forever and I don't have a spotter. I figure I'll make myself go tomorrow and at least hit the treadmill, do some rowing, hit the bike and see how I like that. I'm not doing too bad weight wise, around 180 or so with a little bit of a beer belly but I do okay for myself. I bet posting with my fellow C-SPAMmers will make me more likely to go, idk. Trying to make a habit of doing M-W-F while I can.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Reality Pisser posted:

I AM loving READY

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
it's like the vice president's favorite slot machine

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Alright, I joined a new gym with more racks, more treadmills, more machines and it's $30 cheaper/month.

Did the first day of Stronglifts 5x5 and didn't feel like too much of an rear end in a top hat taking up a rack and lifting just the bar like the program says to.

The barbell row is kind of a pain in the rear end because you have to maneuver a bar into enough open space to do it. Also the barbell row makes my legs shake, which I was not expecting.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Alright, I joined a new gym with more racks, more treadmills, more machines and it's $30 cheaper/month.

Did the first day of Stronglifts 5x5 and didn't feel like too much of an rear end in a top hat taking up a rack and lifting just the bar like the program says to.

The barbell row is kind of a pain in the rear end because you have to maneuver a bar into enough open space to do it. Also the barbell row makes my legs shake, which I was not expecting.

Shaking is usually helper muscles being worked out that normally aren't. They toughen up quick tho na worries

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Update: went to the gym and ate a big ol' pork tenderloin, gonna do the same tomorrow

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

tinstaach posted:

Update: went to the gym and ate a big ol' pork tenderloin, gonna do the same tomorrow

reply so i don't hjave no loving excuse later when i don't do work

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

tinstaach posted:

noice

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

tinstaach posted:

hell yeah!

PostNouveau posted:

hell yeah!

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Reality Pisser posted:

Badass

Also your username reference is weirdly accurate

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

mad.radhu posted:

Badass

Also your username reference is weirdly accurate

lol

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rocks posted:

im 220 lbs and im trying to get down to 205. been doing the following:

- got a membership to a swanky gym in my area, helps going cause the classes are really varied. been doing a poo poo ton of spin classes
- keeping sugar to a minimum
- keep snacking to a minimum
- intermittent fasting when i can (16/8)
- eat lots of veggies
- generally no starches (no rice no bread no crackers etc)
- tracking calories via myfitnesspal (very good btw)

my wife actually just lost a bunch of weight so im tryin to keep up with her. good inspiration to not have a dadbod

good thread will keep up with it thanks

I did this by intermittent fasting and cutting out alcohol and sweetened coffee.

Down from 220 to 207 at my last weigh in.

Doing more than that and it'll be ez pz for you my friend.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
poor reality-chan :(

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I did c25k a few years back, then distance running all the way up to a marathon a year and a half later. I like the Zombies, Run! C25K app (and the regular one for general training) because there's a gamified aspect (getting supplies to improve your base), a storyline that's moderately interesting but doesn't take up too much time during a run, and they have you do stuff like calf raises mid-run that help with shin splints/tendonitis when you're first starting out. Also you can turn on zombie chases, and having zombies groaning in my ear is the only way I've found to make me enjoy interval training on a run.

Also just getting back into starting strength. Have a rack in my garage, because I've found if I have to go to a gym to lift I simply won't do it reliably.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I lift errday

Been bustin deadlift records for a bit

My next max will most likely be the weed number :troll:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

keto update: we're back, baby! had about 1,000 calories and a gallon and a half of water today

i was 310+ 3 years ago and now i'm down to 208. gonna lose the last 10lb and start working purely on muscle gain awooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

iSheep posted:

I did this by intermittent fasting and cutting out alcohol and sweetened coffee.

Down from 220 to 207 at my last weigh in.

Doing more than that and it'll be ez pz for you my friend.

how long did it take you to lose that weight?

I have hovered around 220 since about 20 years old (I’m 33 yo now) drives me crazy because... diet for a week???? I’m 219. go on a cheeseburger and potato chip and beer bender for 2 weeks???? I’m 221. I don’t fluctuate that much no matter what I do

seems hard to break through my weight barrier but I’m pretty committed now to losing, especially since my wife just lost a bunch of weight. I don’t want her to be the only one to do it

sucks cause I know I’ll only lose like 0.5/week so it’s gonna take me like 6 months to get where I want to