Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
...That doesn't look like good news. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I tried it! It's the same as every other auto chess thing, so completely ephemereal, digital junkfood.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
Not even the first cash grab

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-gb/game/might-and-magic-heroes-era-of-chaos/

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Honestly I just liked the stories from the series, before 3DO collapsed. Why is that so difficult to recreate?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Gaming turning into a multi-million dollar industry combined with changing trends within the hobby I assume. The strategy genre has been slowly dying for the past couple of years outside of 4x titles and similar and even they're kinda niche.

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.

Wow. That video has 2 comments and one is a Ubisoft hired bot (that isn't even trying to pretend it isn't one).

Mobile? Is that what Ubi has relegated the M&M franchise to? And from the video it is clearly one of those auto-battler, auto-clicker, auto-upgrade where numbers are meaningless and strategy even less so... But... in the original NWC setting? What the hell? (BTW, Catherine still seems to favor armor for their troop-morale boost instead of actual protection...)

I hope this means Ubi is testing waters for future plans and not punishment to the developers of the latest M&M titles.

I'm still thirsty for more M&M RPGs, though. But I dread for it to come as a mobile title.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

maybe they just need some kind of proof from the community that we want more, but then again based off of what we have gotten recently I don't feel like Ubisoft is going to give us what we want

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The_PC_Snob posted:

Wow. That video has 2 comments and one is a Ubisoft hired bot (that isn't even trying to pretend it isn't one).

Mobile? Is that what Ubi has relegated the M&M franchise to? And from the video it is clearly one of those auto-battler, auto-clicker, auto-upgrade where numbers are meaningless and strategy even less so... But... in the original NWC setting? What the hell? (BTW, Catherine still seems to favor armor for their troop-morale boost instead of actual protection...)

I hope this means Ubi is testing waters for future plans and not punishment to the developers of the latest M&M titles.

I'm still thirsty for more M&M RPGs, though. But I dread for it to come as a mobile title.

I haven't seen any trailers or anything, but the actual game has literally no references to the actual MM titles. It might have some units from the new Heroeseses, but they all have generic names like Lich, Kobold, and Archangel. They sorta look like the units from Heroes 5, I guess?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

How did that old school Might and Magic game sell? If it wasn't well, that's probably why they're going the monetising route

Also effort vs profit is way higher if you can hook some whales

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Aren't those mobile games more or less irrelevant to a company's IP plans, anyhow?
It seems like a studio will just approach IP holders and go 'yeah, we want to make a reskin of this game using your IP, here is roughly how much money we expect to print.', and unless it's a prime IP, companies usually just go 'yeah sure.'

Similar with the Diablo thing that was announced a while back, regardless of what plans a company has for their series, they probably won't turn down what is more or less free money in a market they don't have anything happening anyhow.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Yeah, let's be honest here: a mobile game is at best utterly irrelevant and at worst a kiss of death when it comes to gauging a franchise's future.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

the Might and Magic IP just hasn't been the same since Ubisoft bought it :smith:

I mean, I enjoyed Heroes V but it's just so different and, frankly, boring compared to what was before

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

How did that old school Might and Magic game sell? If it wasn't well, that's probably why they're going the monetising route

Also effort vs profit is way higher if you can hook some whales

It didn't sell well, but also it had effectively the budget of a straightforward 2D platformer. And if Ubi had listened to ANY of the critics, they all say the same thing: the lack of polish is too noticeable and the grid movement was clunky and more unnecessary than nostalgic. Sure, it only got greenlit because of Legend of Grimrock, but that was an actual indie game and the grid movement was at least flowing when you were exploring. EVERY critic said the core gameplay was great but it needed more polish and free-movement, at least out of combat.

So... basically, do a Might and Magic RPG with an actual budget WE KNOW YOU CAN GIVE THEM, Ubi.

But unfortunately, executive decisions are taken solely on market predictions and results. M&M X only got made because Grimlock made buzz about that very specific kind of RPG. And its poor sales will be seem as "no-one wants this" instead of "people want this, but they actually want to hear about it coming and they want it well made".

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The_PC_Snob posted:

So... basically, do a Might and Magic RPG with an actual budget WE KNOW YOU CAN GIVE THEM, Ubi.

No! More Assassin's Creed!

Next HoMM game will be DOTA, but worse somehow. Ubi wonders why it doesn't sell

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

Gaming turning into a multi-million dollar industry combined with changing trends within the hobby I assume. The strategy genre has been slowly dying for the past couple of years outside of 4x titles and similar and even they're kinda niche.

I meant more specifically the actual ingame story and aesthetics. Like, I gave a drat about those despite them being simple.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

evilmiera posted:

I meant more specifically the actual ingame story and aesthetics. Like, I gave a drat about those despite them being simple.

Ah, that is fair.

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.
Another thing that hurt Might and Magic X was the price.

Ubi gave it a shoestring indie budget but asked full price for the product.

At the very least it had an expansion. But the start where you are locked in a prison and has to do a STEALTH SEGMENT in a first-person party RPG because of the "we surrender despite the fact we could kill legions of your guards" trope is ludicrous. Also, the no-equipment excuse doesn't fly when half your party can just magic the guards to death. Also, poorly priced and didn't really add anything other than an extra chapter with very few enemies overall.

The tragedy is that the people who worked on it really cared. The extra stuff they put in. The lore trivia that you had to explore the world and its lore to be able to answer. The puzzle-trap dungeons. The extra end-of-game dungeons... they did what they could with the resources they were given. Which were basically none.

EDIT: On other news, here's some spoilers on Darth's run, as the great people from the European Speedrunner Assembly (basically, European version of the Awesome Games Done Quickly, also speedrunning for charity) does Heroes 2 good campaign in 2 hours. The WHOLE campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWTX2CUFdhM

The_PC_Snob fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 22, 2020

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.
Quick update and bump to keep this from getting archived.

First of all, I hope everyone is well in this pandemic.

If you've read the news, you know my country isn't.

The quarantine gave me lots of free time. To be terrified. I've tried to put work into the update but its been slow. Very, very slow. And I am sorry for it, but it is really hard to focus and try to be entertaining. I have barely seem anyone for months besides my wife. I've only seem my best friend twice. My family on occasion. Some people in my family and my wife's family got the virus. People I've been in contact with. They've recovered, thankfully, but it made me paranoid.

Every day it seems worse than the last. Our curve just goes up and up and still almost nothing of a federal response besides "let the people who would die die off already", which I see as a direct confession that the government is willing to sacrifice me.

Keep safe everybody.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
So yeah, Pandemic hit PC Snob pretty hard. (Bolsonaro)
But he's apparently picked it up again. :) Which probably means I should get off my behind and finish as well.

Weird how despite all the stay at home business we still haven't finished this.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

sweet jesus, glad to hear you are ok, at least

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Holy poo poo this thread's alive. Glad you're both ok. Man I don't even remember where we left off... I think there was a war of some kind?

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.
I've moved twice during the pandemic... both times against my will but out of necessity and the second time was while we were still recovering (financially) from the first.

So it was a very rough year that left me creatively burnt out. A few people close to my wife and to me got the disease. Some have unfortunately passed. But we've managed to keep ourselves safe despite all this. It could be worse. We could be from Manaus/Amazon where the government completely failed to avoid an oxygen-tank shortage so even people without covid but in need of oxygen masks are dying. Whole medical yards of premature babies... Just absolutely chilling and horrible stuff. And Bolsonaro only keeps antagonizing anyone who could help us with the vaccine production or import vaccines from out of ideological lunacy.

We are more or less in stable condition now, if barely, though we are both out of work for now. But I believe I got to a state of mind where I can write again.

Thank you all for your patience. Hope you're all keeping safe.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Good god, don't worry about our patience, take care of yourself and the wife first. If writing helps you cope then write, otherwise you don't owe a bunch of weird goons anything let alone free entertainment. Hopefully crushing Archibald's calcium rich forces brings you some tiny comfort.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I'm just glad that things are getting better for you, and even if the LP ends prematurely, it's still been one of the best experiences I've ever had on SA.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Good god, don't worry about our patience, take care of yourself and the wife first.

Seconded. Family and health come way before goons

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.
Yeah, got derailed from writing pretty fast. Had to move again. Tried to make some money but didn't pan out.

And now there is some health issues.

I appreciate the support though.

Just a bump so this isn't archived.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Hope your health issues clear up soon!

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Hope your health issues clear up soon!

It is actually related to my wife.

Thanks!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The_PC_Snob posted:

It is actually related to my wife.

Thanks!

Oh, either way, best wishes to you both :)

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.
Bump.

Updating, the pandemic has put me through a couple of rough years (no updates, I know). I moved 3 times since it started (and I had just moved before it started) and every time to downgrade to someplace smaller.

On the plus side, my family managed to avoid being infected until the vaccine was out here. Eventually, me and my wife got the Omicron variant from my mother-in-law while vaccinated. We recovered fine, though it was a couple of hellish days for me I thought I'd suffocate in my sleep.

The health scare I had with my wife was the possibility of breast cancer, but fortunately it seems like it was just a scare.

We got pregnant though. Which was... unlikely and unexpected. But it was good news nevertheless.

As for the Let's Play what mainly kept me from working on it, or rather have much progress with it, was too much ambition. Maybe it will pay off, but it will take some more time yet.

For now, cheers everybody. I'm still kicking.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Glad to hear it, and congratulations!

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
I agree with the guy with the Bluey avatar, congratulations! Wait a few years and you’ll be able to teach the kid to play using hot desk multiplayer

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JackBandit posted:

I agree with the guy with the Bluey avatar, congratulations! Wait a few years and you’ll be able to teach the kid to play using hot desk multiplayer

My post was both congratulatory and a TV show recommendation for new parents, how efficient!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Ngl I was bracing for a big hit of bad news in that update, very happy that wasn't the case and that all is well!

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.
Thanks for the kind messages.

As for a sample of what I mean by "ambition", here's a sample of the kind of thing I will have in the next update.

(Jeez, LPIX decreased upload size to 2mb... at this pace I will have to host the images elsewhere)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The_PC_Snob posted:

Thanks for the kind messages.

As for a sample of what I mean by "ambition", here's a sample of the kind of thing I will have in the next update.

(Jeez, LPIX decreased upload size to 2mb... at this pace I will have to host the images elsewhere)

I can feel my Win95 machine crying trying to render that

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

with fun gifs like that, it's worth the wait

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Hey, I'm glad this thread is updating. I've never been able to play any of the HoMM games because I'm terrible at games where you're supposed to think and multi-task and so on, but I love playthroughs of them.

I'll bet before you're through, I'll wind up buying whatever version of this game is on sale, and then keep getting frustrated trying to beat the first mission on easy because I don't understand that you're supposed to run multiple heroes.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

If you do decide to pick one of the games up I feel like 3 is the easiest one of the bunch, but either way doing scenarios rather than campaigns is the easiest way to get your feet wet. A lot of the easier scenarios can be beaten with one super-hero especially on medium maps. Good way to figure out combat, what units do, and how to balance "omg I need more money" and "omg I need more troops can't build money making stuff this turn".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.
Daughter have been keeping me busy.

Also, I'm in a deep rabbit hole now. You can't stop me!