Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Ah, daughters!

I always thought the stuff about pink, and ponies, and unicorns was a stereotype.

The only deviance my daughter has learned from having two older brothers is that she wanted a Transformer for her last birthday. But it had to be a girl Transformer, and it had to be pink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

painedforever posted:

Ah, daughters!

I always thought the stuff about pink, and ponies, and unicorns was a stereotype.

The only deviance my daughter has learned from having two older brothers is that she wanted a Transformer for her last birthday. But it had to be a girl Transformer, and it had to be pink.

You can't convince me that there isn't some weirdly hotwired stuff in our kids brains to be predisposed to certain things.
Like boys with weapons and wheels. (and there's nothing wrong with deviating from the mean)

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

painedforever posted:

Ah, daughters!

So she wanted Arcee?

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.

painedforever posted:

Ah, daughters!

So far the most interest she showed into girly things was gnawing on a pink blanky for a while. But she's an agnostic gnawer, most of her blankies are white with little animal pictures and she gnaws on them too.

But if she's not playing Heroes of Might and Magic 2 by the time she hits 6, I've failed as a father. She can play Sorceress only, as long as she is playing.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The_PC_Snob posted:

So far the most interest she showed into girly things was gnawing on a pink blanky for a while. But she's an agnostic gnawer, most of her blankies are white with little animal pictures and she gnaws on them too.

But if she's not playing Heroes of Might and Magic 2 by the time she hits 6, I've failed as a father. She can play Sorceress only, as long as she is playing.

Maybe Necromancer? You can’t tell if a skeleton is female with such low detail pelvises

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Your kid is going to hit her rebellious phase and start wanting to play Zelda and Kirby.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

SirSamVimes posted:

Your kid is going to hit her rebellious phase and start wanting to play Zelda and Kirby.

Fortnite and Roblox.

My niece turned 6 just this year, and my brother is doing a terrible job introducing her to gaming. I must really pick up the slack as her de facto Nintendo Uncle.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I say, kids get fully self contained solo experiences with no internet connectivity, exposure to in game purchases considered harmful.

Which really is to say that, as someone who generally doesn't touch Nintendo stuff that much, Nintendo is pretty good for that.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I've got two girls, 6 and 4 - the eldest couldn't care less about pink stuff, she wants to play Fall Guys and run around. The younger one though, she wants to be a pretty princess :3:

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Darth TNT posted:

You can't convince me that there isn't some weirdly hotwired stuff in our kids brains to be predisposed to certain things.
Like boys with weapons and wheels. (and there's nothing wrong with deviating from the mean)

I thought that was because we watched a lot of Top Gear. My little girl tries to talk about cars just so she can get her brothers to pay attention to her, but she'd rather talk about clothes and colours and ponies.

The_PC_Snob posted:

Gonna have to work up to it. I bought my daughter a My Little Pony game for her birthday, and she just has her brother play it for her while she watches. And then when they play their own (racing) games, she just grabs her colours and starts drawing things.

Where's the current HoMM series at, anyway? Isn't it all Ubisoft?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

THE BAR posted:

Fortnite and Roblox.

My niece turned 6 just this year, and my brother is doing a terrible job introducing her to gaming. I must really pick up the slack as her de facto Nintendo Uncle.

To truly rebel against The_PC_Snob, one must insist on playing only console exclusives. :colbert:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

painedforever posted:

Where's the current HoMM series at, anyway? Isn't it all Ubisoft?

All Ubisoft, seemingly abandoned in 2015 with the criminal "Might & Magic Heroes VII".

There are many arguments as to when the series actually ended. Some would say 1999's Heroes 3 was the last proper game, others count 2002's H4 as still technically being made by the same people and following the same story, while others still being fond of Ubisoft's H5 from 2006, despite it abandoning the setting from over 13 games prior.

Nobody liked H6 or 7, and now the series is a couple of auto battler mobile games, from what I've seen. I even played one of them; it was technically fine, but nothing you'd want out of a Heroes title.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

There's a pseudo spiritual successor named Songs of Conquest that is pretty and neat looking with good music, also the gameplay is apparently really good but I'll confess I haven't played it enough to truly tell. To some degree it is its own beast but, you know, that's fine.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Songs of Conquest is great, yeah. I'm still waiting for the improved AI, but the mechanics are solid and enjoyable.

E:

The main theme sounds like something stock out of RPG Maker, though.

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.

THE BAR posted:

All Ubisoft, seemingly abandoned in 2015 with the criminal "Might & Magic Heroes VII".

There are many arguments as to when the series actually ended. Some would say 1999's Heroes 3 was the last proper game, others count 2002's H4 as still technically being made by the same people and following the same story, while others still being fond of Ubisoft's H5 from 2006, despite it abandoning the setting from over 13 games prior.

Nobody liked H6 or 7, and now the series is a couple of auto battler mobile games, from what I've seen. I even played one of them; it was technically fine, but nothing you'd want out of a Heroes title.

It is weird that they put a lot of effort into the new lore but Ubi simply doesn't have faith in the series.

Both 6 and 7 were handed to random indie dev to see if they could turn a profit on little money.

Both needed more time and money than Ubi allotted them, begged for more and didn't get any.

Both had to cut corners to get the game launched and launched it full of bugs because they didn't have time for QA.

Both had good sales despite almost non-existant marketing from Ubi, but "not good enough" by Ubi's current standards (if a franchise doesn't make all the money ever it is a "failure". Only "excessive and abusive microtransactions" numbers cut it.)

Both had the devs work for months fixing the game after release but then it was too late, and had expansions you had to go out of your way to find out they were even released.

Then both devs got sacked.

Then Ubi got a mobile game out in the "gatcha" model. It is "better" than most gatchas out there, as in there is actual player input and strategy on them. But it cynically relies on the old lore that Ubi had abandoned. And it seems to be making mad bucks so this seems to be it as far as Ubi is concerned with the IP. Also, its overwhelming marketing campaign didn't hurt (I got ads from it EVERYWHERE). Which shows that Ubi IS capable of putting in the effort if it wants. It just didn't want to.

For what it is worth, I liked the campaign of 6. It is the best storytelling in Heroes apart from 4, but heavily based on the tone of Game of Thrones (SPOILER: rape is a plot point). But I didn't like the overall design and mechanics decisions of game overall, though I at least respect the devs for trying something new.

7 I like the mechanics a lot, but the pacing is off and the story is... barely there. I mean, it is not really a story as it is a bunch of in-world tales being told to a guy to help him make a decision about the actual plot. There is almost no connective tissue among any of them and even within campaigns sometimes there is little connecting a mission to the next. You rarely keep the heroes from previous missions.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The_PC_Snob posted:

(SPOILER: rape is a plot point)

Okay, not playing anything past 4. Duly noted!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Okay, not playing anything past 4. Duly noted!

5 is good though and has none of that

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.

SirSamVimes posted:

5 is good though and has none of that

The problem with 5 is that it really, really hates modern operating systems.

It's been 3 PCs since I managed to play it without it either freezing on the AI's turn or the AI's turn taking several minutes...

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Alright, 5 is a tentative :D

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

5 was the first one I've played, and I really liked the graphics and the units and the aesthetics. I was crap at it (because I never figured out that I should recruit and use more heroes than just the primary), but I liked looking at it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
5 is fine. It doesn't do anything actually new, it just says here is (mostly) Heroes 3 with a Heroes 2 aesthetic, a new world and via the expansions some good parts of 4 bolted on.
As such, I like it.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

I don't know what's weirder; that this thread keeps getting revived after months of inactivity and years between updates, or that I'm still following it anyway. :)

I started on Heroes 3, though I later replayed the earlier ones; everything after that game though kind of jumbles together in my mind.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

5 is fine. It doesn't do anything actually new, it just says here is (mostly) Heroes 3 with a Heroes 2 aesthetic, a new world and via the expansions some good parts of 4 bolted on.
As such, I like it.

As someone who loved the writing for what it was in the earlier Heroes the campaign writing in 5 left me cold. But I know I am in the minority since like 95 percent of people , probably rightly, feel like the writing might as well be a placeholder and find most of their enjoyment in scenarios.

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013
I genuinely thought Heroes 6 had some interesting ideas and would have been pretty excited to see where it would have gone if the devs had more money to bug fix and expand out the game more.

Heroes 7 is basically "Oh no, Heroes 6 didn't do as well as we wanted, time to play it safe except with less charm".

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I enjoyed 5, but it's really hard to find a version of the game that isn't plagued by *some* form of horrible gamebreaking bug at some point in the campaign.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

aren't the hardcore HoMM fans all into mods these days? Horn of the Abyss went over really well, I thought

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Aces High posted:

aren't the hardcore HoMM fans all into mods these days? Horn of the Abyss went over really well, I thought

I couldn't get that to work for some reason

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

AncientSpark posted:

I genuinely thought Heroes 6 had some interesting ideas and would have been pretty excited to see where it would have gone if the devs had more money to bug fix and expand out the game more.

Wasn't there an LP of it? I think it was supposed to be a prequel... rather like HoMM 5 was a prequel as well, as I understand it.

I thought it looked interesting too. I really wanted to try it, until I found out it was UbiConnect only. Of course, I wound up getting UbiConnect anyway. Stupid 30th anniversary free games and such...

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

evilmiera posted:

As someone who loved the writing for what it was in the earlier Heroes the campaign writing in 5 left me cold. But I know I am in the minority since like 95 percent of people , probably rightly, feel like the writing might as well be a placeholder and find most of their enjoyment in scenarios.

Nah, the plot and setting became insipid after H4. The factions felt like bootleg versions of the originals, without the cruft of 13+ games and 3 books behind them. Like a weird pastiche of Heroes and Warhammer, with the human kingdom feeling more like Bretonnia than anything.

And H5 had one scenario level for each faction, if I remember? It wasn't until the expansions they rectified that, but it soured me so thoroughly at launch that subsequent attempts couldn't convince me.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
H5 was fine. I would rank it below both 4 and 3, but it was generally fine. I tried running it few years back, IIRC it was a bit painful, but not impossible.

H4... I respect more than like. It tried to do new stuff, and I liked most of the gameplay changes. The graphics didn't age well though :v:

H3 is classic, but the lategame gets absolutely bonkers, and not in a good way, if the game gets there.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I would love a real remake of King's Bounty, one that actually does what the original wanted to do, and not.. whatever it is Legend was.

Turning KB into a linear series of H5 battles, good grief.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Have you heard about Eador:Genesis. Or its flashy 3d remakes? More of a focus on knife fights between small groups rather than whole stacks of units. If you pay adventurers the standard 200 gold to fight one dragon you are never seeing that money again.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

THE BAR posted:

Nah, the plot and setting became insipid after H4. The factions felt like bootleg versions of the originals, without the cruft of 13+ games and 3 books behind them. Like a weird pastiche of Heroes and Warhammer, with the human kingdom feeling more like Bretonnia than anything.

And H5 had one scenario level for each faction, if I remember? It wasn't until the expansions they rectified that, but it soured me so thoroughly at launch that subsequent attempts couldn't convince me.

It'd be real nice if we could see a continuation with some of the original writers.

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.
Just bumping the thread.

Moved again looking for work.

But I'm hopeful this time it will be more stable.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The_PC_Snob posted:

Just bumping the thread.

Moved again looking for work.

But I'm hopeful this time it will be more stable.

Best of luck!

velixsiol
Mar 23, 2015
Hey, uh, it looks like Archibald mission 1 part 4 (A Cacophony of Ice and Thunder) got missed somehow? It's on page 6 of the original thread.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

velixsiol posted:

Hey, uh, it looks like Archibald mission 1 part 4 (A Cacophony of Ice and Thunder) got missed somehow? It's on page 6 of the original thread.

Missed where? In the index you mean?

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.

Darth TNT posted:

Missed where? In the index you mean?

Yeah, on the first post. It is not really missing, it is attached to part 3. Both part 3 and 4 are on the same link.

I've actually mentioned this a couple of times in our exchanges, but we never got to discuss it more in depth and I figured there wasn't much harm since I didn't think anyone was going to go re-read them. Guess I was wrong. I think the problem is that I must've sent you the whole text instead of separating it into two parts because when I wrote them it was only one part and then I split it in two to have a part 4. I think I did it to mirror your own updates or because of the forum post word limit. In any case, I've made two new links to the two separate parts.

Your original post to edit.

Part 3

Part 4

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The_PC_Snob posted:

I've actually mentioned this a couple of times in our exchanges, but we never got to discuss it more in depth and I figured there wasn't much harm since I didn't think anyone was going to go re-read them. Guess I was wrong.

I've read the first game's LP a couple of times on the archive, it's part of my biennial Thuryl-circuit :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.
Cheers everybody. Here's the goings.

The update is still going. Slowly but going. One problem, besides the baby so I can't really pick a day and say "today I will do exclusively that", is some bizarre technical problems I spend way more than I should trying to solve until they solved themselves. One animation I was doing was simply outputting garbage when rendering. Tried every walk-through and tutorial to find out why, then, when I was about to give up, it simply worked.

These animations are being a tad more troublesome than I hopped. Doing them is fun and fine, but out of nowhere they simply won't come out how I want them to for some bizarre reason I can't really pinpoint.

My fault, I know. I made this bed and now I have to lay in it.

But it really isn't the drag. The real drag has been how limited I am living with my in-laws. My computer is now in a tiny closet. I have no laptop anymore and can't afford a new one. My computer stand has broken down on me and I had to repair it thrice now. Last time I reinforced it to an unreasonable degree, only for one piece to simply fall down and thanks to the reinforcements I can't really adjust it. And since I have no way to buy a new one right now I have to find a way to work on a broken stand.

Thing have improved this year in that they've stabilized. Not in a great place, but I will take it any day to the downwards spiral it was.

My wife got a job now that the baby is one year old. As soon as she starts bringing in some money, we can probably start moving forwards.

Didn't help that my father-in-law got me in some monetary trouble. I wish I could be more specific but this will be all.

Sorry for the delays. But I'm still alive and kicking.

Cheers.