Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Firstly, let me say that if this is the wrong place for this sort of thread, let me know and I'll go where I need to. I thought for a moment about posting this in the academic thread, but upon reflection and looking at other threads in this sub-forum, this seemed more appropriate.

To be brief: I graduated some years ago with an MA and managed to stay employed as a university lecturer for a fair while. At the moment, I have quite a bit of experience: three years PT and five years FT teaching experience, all at the college level. However, I was unable to find work for the 2017-2018 academic year or the 2018-2019 one that is currently on. Having had a harder and harder time finding work as I gain more experience, I am both embittered and have realised that I can't make a living anymore doing what I love. Please note that I am not licensed to teach K-12 and have no desire to do so for a number of reasons.

So, about a year ago I tried to focus on applying for university advising positions because I have some secondary experience with that and there are MANY more advertised vacancies. I used to see a few dozen lecturer positions a year, and I see sometimes a dozen or more full-time advising positions a week. I have focused on only looking for work in the Great Lakes part of the US due to relocation costs. Despite my best efforts, though, I have had almost no interest. I had one interview with my alma mater that went nowhere, and I had a first and second interview with a community college near here that didn't pan out. A few months after that second interview, another advising position opened on the same campus; I applied for it and didn't even get another first interview despite being a finalist three months prior.

That's my story. I can't find work in an area where I have ample experience and I can't get my foot in the door in something related. I have applied for literally hundreds of advising positions over the last year or more with almost no interest. I have given up on being a lecturer because of the lack of openings and job stability, but I can't start a new career in a related field. I have read articles about advising positions, looked at dozens of cover letters and CVs and instructed myself as best I can. Does anyone have any advice on breaking into advising? It's much more stable, there are a lot more openings to do it and in general it pays better than when I was teaching, but I can't get a look in. Having worked in academia for quite a while I thought that I would have some appeal trying to branch into advising and administrative positions also in post-secondary education, but clearly not.

Any advice would be appreciated, and thank you in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
What is your MA in?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

teardrop posted:

What is your MA in?

Modern languages, which I taught at the university level from 2012 to 2017.

• Locked thread