Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
You forgot one important thing about Beast Wars 2: The Jointrons. Who are Weed Smoking Insect based Mexican Stereotypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Shere posted:

I don't know why I thought you were kidding?

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Jointron

:psyduck:

Rule #1 of Transformers: No matter how outlandish it is, it probably happened. This is without getting into Kissplayers.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yuta/Rikka really have no chemistry together beyond being friends but years of anime/comic/movies pairing male and female action series leads together makes even that seem like enough for them to be a couple which is...yes lame

They literally s-

Am I the only person who watched the show? Are we all so anime brain poisoned that we need to go full on "no Subtext Whatsoever" whenever there's a het relationship in anime, otherwise people with home in on a relationship between two girls and assume that's the only romance going or chemistry going on?

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Man I don't know what media you're watching, or Actually maybe I'm just spending too much time with crappy people who treat every single relationship between two female or male characters as if it HAS to be romantic, because i'm much more used to dealing with people trying to say that every single relationship between two men or two women in a show has to be romantic.

Which is not as bad as erasing LGBT+ relationships, but its still feels weird to me.

Edit: As far as I care, Rikka and Akane having a thing is a perfectly valid read. But so is them being close friends, that's also a valid read. But so is Akane and Rikka's closeness being a metaphor for IRL Akane being unable to love herself. There's a lot of valid reads, because I don't think that close emotional relationships are necessarily only of the romantic kind.

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 13, 2023

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Endorph posted:

when i was a kid i got banned from a utena forum for saying that i thought utena and anthy were gay.

I cannot fathom this. Its like banning someone from an X forum for going "I think that Kamui is gay for Fuuma."

But I suppose I'm just kind of put off by the whole "A het relationship, EWW" thing, like people saying that Bayonetta 3 is bad because Bayonetta gets with a guy in it.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Endorph posted:

yeah thats a real thing that happens in frequency and not just a strawman for homophobes

the bayo 3 thing wasnt just because 'she got with a man,' it was because her characterization was completely thrown out, the game focused a ton on the idea of her being a mother in a weird way, jeanne was completely sidelined, she was paired up with the lamest dude in the series, even his characterization was ruined, etc.

if it had just been 'bayonetta hooks up with a guy' and it was executed competently nobody would have cared.

Man that does sound lame.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

Except Max and Miriya ended the first show together, while the ending of Akane and Rikka's relationship was Rikka telling Akane that, despite how much she hates it, the healthiest thing for both of them would be if they never saw each other again. The arc finished.

It kind of feels like how Asuka shippers try to act like the ending to Shin was a win for them. Shinji and Asuka had feelings for each other, but they moved on, and where they wound up, they couldn't go back. There was something, it mattered, but its time ended.

Meanwhile, despite the attempts to downplay it, Yuta's feelings for Rikka were a huge part of his motives, to the point they formed a huge part of the motives for the alien possessing his body, and jealousy of Rikka formed a big part of why Akane kept trying to win over Yuta instead of just stabbing him. Whatever Rikka had was supposed to be subordinate to Akane's whims, but instead, there was one thing that kept being Rikka's, no matter how hard Akane tried.

(There's even a bit in one of the audio dramas where 'Yuta' manages to get a memory back during the dream, of the day he fell in love with Akane. The memory of seeing her long black hair.

Akane is not pleased.)

Yuta's feeling for Rikka are the biggest unresolved relationship in the plot, just like Rikka's relationship with Akane is the biggest resolved dynamic. If there's a direct sequel (which there is now), that's the thing that has to get dealt with.

(Yuta's even got some big conversation with Rikka right before the start of the series that hasn't been elaborated on, but it was important enough that forgetting it has Rikka, otherwise the nicest person in the series, a bit pissed off with Yuta for the show's whole run.)

That's basically, in a much more eloquent form, what I'm saying here.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Endorph posted:

personally id also question the logic of spending six years crafting a mecha/toku saga where the moral of the story is that lesbian relationships are things that you have to move on from while heterosexual relationships are the endgame that prove you've matured, but hey, im just an idiot on the internet

I don't think that's the message at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Jesus christ, western anime fans are the loving worst sometimes.

Edit: some of you fuckers sound like the K-ON fanbase when it was announced that they may get boyfriends or college, or any Idol fan when its hinted that an Idol has a romantic life out of her job. Absolutely loving disgusting.

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 27, 2023