Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is an hour-long musical comedy that airs Friday nights at 9/8c on the CW. Created/run by Rachel Bloom and Aline Brosh McKenna, the show stars Bloom as Rebecca Bunch, a lawyer from New York who decided to uproot her life and move to West Covina, CA (thirty minutes from the beach) upon hearing that her old high school sweetheart Josh (Vincent Rodriguez III) lived there. Things have not gone well for her.

The Cast, and what's happened to them

Rebecca Bunch (Rachel Bloom, above): Last season Rebecca, after being abandoned at the altar by Josh, hit a low. She let slip how much she'd been kinda sorta stalking him, hit a deep depression, and attempted suicide. She was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, and having a Diagnosis helped her begin therapy and begin to work on herself. But a guy she'd gotten involved with seasons earlier stalked HIS way back into her life, things got complicated, long story short, she was arrested for attempted murder and pled guilty, even if legally speaking she may not have been responsible. A lot of viewers aren't entirely happy with this as a plot development but we'll see what happens.

Paula (Donna Lynne Champlin): Paula quickly became Rebecca's friend when the latter arrived in West Covina, and encouraged her to pursue Josh, which in retrospect was probably a mistake. She's had to deal with a lot of things, from trying to pass the bar to finding out her husband cheated on her (they're still together but it's a tough road.) And when she found out Rebecca had lied to her to get her to help try to break into someone's home (this is complicated), she pronounced her friendship with Rebecca over.

Josh (Vincent Rodriguez III): After quitting his attempt to become a priest, Josh wandered aimlessly a bit, eventually getting serious about finding something to do after moving out of his mom's house. Most recently tried to be a DJ.

Valencia (Gabrielle Ruiz): Despite being Josh's girlfriend when the show started- and thus running afoul of Rebecca's schemes- she has become a supportive friend, mainly because she doesn't have a lot of those and you take what you can get. She now has a girlfriend, Beth.

Nathaniel Plimpton III (Scott Michael Foster): Nathaniel first started helping Rebecca with her plan to "destroy Josh" by trying to get his father deported and almost murdering his grandfather, but settled into just having a torrid lusty affair with Rebecca, which was interrupted by her mental breakdown. After recovering some, Rebecca started dating Nathaniel, but worried she was falling into the same obsessive pattern and broke things off, then they had an affair again, then Nathaniel got engaged to his girlfriend Mona, and it was at their wedding that Rebecca accidentally pushed Trent off a roof. Oh, right...

Trent (Paul Welsh): Trent was a guy Rebecca pretended to be dating to make Josh jealous a while back, and he never quite got over it. He came back to stalk Rebecca at the end of last season, blackmailed her which led to her revealing some very dark secrets to everyone, and then threatened to kill Nathaniel, which led to Rebecca pushing him off a roof. He lived, in a full body cast- I'm not sure if we'll be seeing him this season.

Heather (Vela Lovell): After finishing school, Heather finally started thinking about her future, and began managing the bar Home Base. She also became the surrogate for Darryl's child, spending some months pregnant (which necessitated a bit of a time jump for the show.) She still tries not to show enthusiasm for much of anything.

Darryl (Pete Gardner): Darryl started really wanting another child, and since his boyfriend White Josh didn't want to raise a child, the two eventually, sadly split up. Paula helped him find an egg donor and a surrogate mother, who turned out to be Heather.

White Josh (Greg Hull): Despite his breakup, remains friends with Darryl. Continues White Joshin'.

So, It's Ending?

Bloom and McKenna have stated from the start that they had a four year plan for the series, and while the ratings have always been pretty bad, a combination of critical acclaim, the occasional award, and good streaming numbers have given them enough time to carry this out. For an absurd, dark musical comedy that deals with some heavy poo poo about mental illness and societal narratives, it's held on pretty well. As I said before, the third season finale left people uncertain and possibly less enthusiastic about this final go round, but I for one am on board until the end.

Final season premiere starts in less than an hour. Get Hype!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Oh Yeah, and Songs

This is a musical. Rachel Bloom actually got some attention before the show for her goofy Youtube videos for songs like "gently caress Me, Ray Bradbury" and "I Steal Pets", and there are usually around two songs an episode. (She doesn't write all of them, there are multiple folks involved on staff.) When the show started, it treated all the songs as Rebecca's delusions and her inner narrative, but since then other characters have gotten featured songs and it's just something people do. Last season had a bunch of good ones, so here's a sampler:

Let's Generalize About Men
I Go To The Zoo
The Moment Is Me
First Penis I Saw
Fuckton of Cats

And the first two songs of this season have already been put up on Bloom's YT:

No One Else Is Singing My Song
What's Your Story?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey it’s Britney Young.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think that this direction might be the right way to make the prison plotline work

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Real good episode. No One Else is Singing My Song instantly joined my top Crazy Ex-Girlfriend 10 songs. I hope Rebecca can make healthy choices this season!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That's actually a really good and mature decision for Rebecca. For a moment it sounded like she felt the need to travel to Africa in an effort to help the people there. That would have been really bad.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

apophenium posted:

No One Else is Singing My Song instantly joined my top Crazy Ex-Girlfriend 10 songs.
Yeah, that was a really good song.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Good reversal of last season's cliffhanger!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Yeah, this looks good as a season opener.

Not sure when they'll introduce him, but I'm kind of worried about how NuGreg is going to pan out. I hope it's a joke and it'll just be a separate character who just happens to also be called Greg.

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool
No new theme song? Or will they introduce it in episode 2?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Oh, wow, I hadn't noticed that there wasn't one. :aaaaa:

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
I feel like they’ve done that before where the first episode of the season is sans opening theme and credits.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CaveGrinch posted:

I feel like they’ve done that before where the first episode of the season is sans opening theme and credits.

I wanna say that in the first season's opener, the opening theme was introduced as Rebecca moves to West Covina; the second season had its opening early in the first episode; third season might have waited an episode or two before the theme was introduced?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
They've said next episode will be the debut of the opening theme.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, that was a really good song.

:hai:

I also died at all of George's ska-related bits.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I liked how dark What’s Your Story got, both as an indictment of Rachel’s narcissism and the horrors of modern prison culture and also “Rat-ta-ta!”

radlum
May 13, 2013

apophenium posted:

Real good episode. No One Else is Singing My Song instantly joined my top Crazy Ex-Girlfriend 10 songs. I hope Rebecca can make healthy choices this season!

Good episode; great song.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Coatlicue posted:

No new theme song? Or will they introduce it in episode 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OsSP8ZOAC0

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It’s interesting to see these “previously on” bits and wonder how it’s all going to be relevant.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Can't wait to meet Deborah

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It’s actually called Concentration Camping...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

A HAUNTED POO MURDER HOUSE

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
That song- I don’t have quite that level of anxiety but ouch.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Snailor Swift

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Paula's song from the season 3 finale might be the last good song in a while. These are all not great.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Harlock posted:

Paula's song from the season 3 finale might be the last good song in a while. These are all not great.

Nah the door song rules.

Also White Josh!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Harlock posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1GwEkQ5Sro

:colbert:

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

Harlock posted:

4/4 songs each good in their own way but okay

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The Cringe is stuck in my head now, and those skeleton dresses were magnificent.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Maxwell Lord posted:

Snailor Swift

Katy Beary

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

"Roar!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I finally caught up with this show last night via Netflix and loved it. I think an aspect I liked in season 3 was the scene where Josh goes to see Rebecca and she's just... normal around him. No obsession anymore, no feelings. He's just a guy. Like any other. I also like the aspect of her being afraid of her own relationships due to her patterns, especially the thing where initially she's mooning about love stories and Dr Akopian is like "You shouldn't be in a long term relationship of any kind..." and now she is improving it's totally switched places, with Akopian reassuring her that of course she deserves to be loved, just keep on keeping an eye on things, but Rebecca not trusting herself to do so.

I also like the progression of the theme songs, from Rebecca being in total denial about having any problems at all in the first season's theme, to an unconscious flashback to her worst moment with "I'm just a girl in love", then season 3's being about how she knows what's wrong and it's scary and confusing, then finally season 4 just being Rebecca finally seeing the full picture of who she is, good and bad.

Final note - I liked the scene with Dr Akopian and The List. Just that calm realisation.

I think it's because it allowed herself to slightly distance herself from it and make it more logical that personal, by just going down a checklist that simplified things in a way she could not argue with.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 21, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's interesting that having songs that are really good reflections of mental illness is something Bloom has been doing for a while. Compare Time to Seize the Day to The OCDance from 4 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug19JBIIycs

The comments are full of people suffering from OCD or who know people who suffer from it thanking her for portraying it humorously, but honestly, unlike most depictions in media.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Harlock posted:

I mean "Nothing is Ever Anyone's Fault" is in the same very episode after Paula's song.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I finally watched all of season three with my bestie and the ending of it is the most hopeful I've ever been at the end of a season lol.

First two episodes of four were really good but the whole time I was waiting for the spooky song and it was right at the end. I'm also enjoying the episodes a lot but constantly thinking "when will Greg pop out?". I was hoping Nathaniel and Rebecca would stay together to protect Greg from her but he couldn't even give me one lousy episode :whitewater:

spooky song best song of the season so far

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Know who I realized we haven't seen this season? Mrs. Hernandez and Beth.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Know who I realized we haven't seen this season? Mrs. Hernandez and Beth.

I miss Karen, personally.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I miss Karen, personally.

She’s on Happy Together. Which is a totally inoffensive by the numbers sit com to snot your mind off to.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I find interesting is how Rebecca's spirals were effected by how her relationships ended. While Greg broke up with her (because it seemed he noticed they were terrible together although he didn't know why), she was able to get a proper explanation and closure before he left so her spiral wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been, especially with Josh to help.

However Josh barely noticed anything was wrong despite the warning signs with the pregnancy scare, and because of that he had the idea to propose - however, he didn't have the fortitude to face her issues when he found out about them, panicked and bolted, sending her from a dizzying high to a crashing low basically skipping her entire normal spiral, so she spiraled far worse than she ever did before. After that due to her revenge kick he only saw her the way most people unfairly see crazy people, something to fear, which didn't help.

Then she was diagnosed, noticed the spiral beginning anew with Nathaniel and broke it off, although she may have the confidence since the prison to try again with him. As a result she didn't spiral afterwards, because it was her choice.

Also it was interesting that in their last interaction she was finally able to just be normal around Josh, not mad or smitten, just seeing him as another person that exists. I liked that moment of "I have stuff to do, could you get the hell out of my house please? :)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I live in this park!