Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I'm impressed how fitting my psychoanalysis of Rebecca was.
Back in early season one, I was already convinced that she felt some kind of double delusion. She said to herself that she doesn't love Josh, even though she "obviously" was, but in truth she never really loved him (at that point). Back then I actually predicted that her true love is music and that's how she'd end up kinda happy.

Is the season 1 thread still around somewhere? I'd love to have a look at my old posts. It's always weird to see something you written 3 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My only issue is that I wish we had heard her song at the end. I think hearing Rebecca sing and play imperfectly out loud with an irl song summarising a lot of the themes of the show would have been really perfect. But I totally understand why they didn’t go that route, and plus that probably would have been the hardest song to write out of all of them.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
This one real and culminating song is supossed to be left for the imagination. That's kinda ironic, actually.

Honestly, it's better this way since it allows the audience to be a bit more free in there final interpretation.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

My only issue is that I wish we had heard her song at the end. I think hearing Rebecca sing and play imperfectly out loud with an irl song summarising a lot of the themes of the show would have been really perfect. But I totally understand why they didn’t go that route, and plus that probably would have been the hardest song to write out of all of them.

There’s an article on Vulture where the cast and creators discuss what that song might have been.
https://www.vulture.com/2019/04/crazy-ex-girlfriend-finale-interview-spoilers.html

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

So I guess the interesting implication of all the songs being in Rebecca's head is what happens when she isn't on screen. Is it just her projecting what she thinks the characters are singing about?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Don’t think about it too hard, too, too, hard.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Harlock posted:

So I guess the interesting implication of all the songs being in Rebecca's head is what happens when she isn't on screen. Is it just her projecting what she thinks the characters are singing about?

Its' partly that and also that she's rubbing off on everyone. Like Greg's rendition of "hey West Covina" was totally in his head.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I loved Rebecca pulling Paula into her 11:00 stage and her realising how powerful Rebecca's coping mechanism was.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I'm pretty happy with that finale. I will miss the show a lot though.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy
AJ's face after its panned past all her 'potential suitors' slays me.

drat what a great finale.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Schlub Husband posted:

AJ's face after its panned past all her 'potential suitors' slays me.

drat what a great finale.

Father Brah was even better there. That loom of total bewilderment. I need a gif of that.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

garthoneeye posted:

There’s an article on Vulture where the cast and creators discuss what that song might have been.
https://www.vulture.com/2019/04/crazy-ex-girlfriend-finale-interview-spoilers.html

When it cut to black I assumed it was going to be a proto-West Covina but more sincere and more... badly sung, and I'm glad most of the show's staff felt the same way. Going into the season and even the last episode I wasn't sure how they could give me a sense of closure, but that was a good speech at the end. She doesn't have to pick any one of them, but she doesn't have to not pick them either, because "Who is this character going to end up with now?" isn't as good a final question as "Who is this character now?"

She'll probably end up with Greg down the line. Yes, I wish Santino Fontana would've made a cameo.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Great finale. Glad to see everyone's in agreement that "West Covina" is the song.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that was my thought too, and it’s really cool to see most of the creative team agree (I know I’m just copying a previous post but it’s true, dammit!)

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That was what I figured it’d be if they showed it, but a small part of me wishes it would be The First Penis I Saw

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
I already knew this before seeing the finale, but it confirmed that I don't really like where this show went.

The idea of making a show that was ostensibly a romantic comedy that followed those typical beats, but involving a mentally ill woman who'd do malicious things, was pretty good. The interplay between those things was pretty clever and funny, and they weren't afraid to take it in pretty honest directions.

But it really feels like after a certain point (probably the suicide attempt) they just removed all the edges, went full-blown sitcom, and in the end you have this character in a room, admired by every single person she met throughout the show, including the three guys she had unhealthy relationships with and the woman whose engagement she destroyed.

What is the point supposed to be? "Don't worry if you have Borderline Personality Disorder. Everything will be fine in the end. There'll be no meaningful consequences to doing bad things to people all the time. There's nothing that can't be apologized for and no one you can't make your friend?"

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 8, 2019

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean, she suffered plenty getting to this point. As did everyone else. The point of the show has always been that people are complicated and have a lot going on, and I think it's also useful to say that yeah, you may never overcome mental illness but you can still be happy. It takes work, it takes patience, and much of this last season was Rebecca slowly getting to a better point in her life, which included helping the people around her. Like I don't think it's at all unearned.

As for the woman whose engagement she destroyed, the thing is, Valencia was open to friendship with Rebecca as early as Season 2. She NEVER seemed that bothered by things going wrong with Josh, which I think suggests she kinda knew he wasn't who she really wanted. I may have to go over her initial arc again.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

quote:

As for the woman whose engagement she destroyed, the thing is, Valencia was open to friendship with Rebecca as early as Season 2. She NEVER seemed that bothered by things going wrong with Josh, which I think suggests she kinda knew he wasn't who she really wanted.

Well, sure. Valencia, a fictional character, was written in such a way that it was somewhat plausible that she would be open to be great friends with someone who blew up her years-long relationship and then got engaged to her ex-boyfriend. So were the other characters. But that's a writing choice. One that, IMO, is very far from anything that would happen in the real world and seriously dulls the edges of the real-life stuff like mental illness the show tried to approach.

quote:

I mean, she suffered plenty getting to this point. As did everyone else. The point of the show has always been that people are complicated and have a lot going on, and I think it's also useful to say that yeah, you may never overcome mental illness but you can still be happy. It takes work, it takes patience, and much of this last season was Rebecca slowly getting to a better point in her life, which included helping the people around her. Like I don't think it's at all unearned.

I don't think the show should have ended with her being unhappy or hated by people. That wouldn't have been good either. The problem is the show's idea of 'a good place' is always 'the absolute best place anything could ever be.' In reality, coming to terms with your actions often means accepting that not everyone will forgive you, and not every relationship can be healed or maintained even after forgiveness. This is something that happens, that one must learn to live with, and that does not preclude real happiness, let alone a happy ending to a show. In the end the show is just trading one fantasy for another.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Apr 8, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the sentiment Greg extends in "I hate Everything (But You)" where Greg is telling Rebecca why he isn't enjoying their day out, where he's making clear that he dislikes a lot of corny things lots of other people enjoy and despises cliches, but has this moment of leniency/perspective:

"I hate the phrase 'Love Conquers all' and I hate that it's true, but I want to not hate things when I'm with you, you love so many things and you have so much fun, it makes me wish my hating days were dooone."

That's a sweet sentiment, and I like that he admits that that particular cliche exists for a reason.

Also his delivery on :byodood:"EVEN MORE EXAMPLES!" is hilarious.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I don't think the show should have ended with her being unhappy or hated by people. That wouldn't have been good either. The problem is the show's idea of 'a good place' is always 'the absolute best place anything could ever be.' In reality, coming to terms with your actions often means accepting that not everyone will forgive you, and not every relationship can be healed or maintained even after forgiveness. This is something that happens, that one must learn to live with, and that does not preclude real happiness, let alone a happy ending to a show. In the end the show is just trading one fantasy for another.

They do sort of do this with White Josh, although he doesn't really make a case against her or press it in any way.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

PostNouveau posted:

They do sort of do this with White Josh, although he doesn't really make a case against her or press it in any way.

Of course, he's one of the few people that Rebecca didn't inadvertently help discover themselves. She did a great job pushing her friends to become better people while she herself was a terrible person. But white Josh already knew who he was and was already happy with himself. He didn't need her drama to force him to face hidden truths or to encourage introspection. To him, she was just a drama queen. Which she was. But it was her show.

I liked how the finale gave us a glimpse into season 5 without actually having a 5th season. I'm glad she didn't "end up with" any of the guys because that's a stupid goal even if it was her goal until literally the final 45 minutes of the shows entire run which is a little weird.

I like that the message, in the end, is that you have to love yourself first.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I had a feeling she wasn't going to pick anybody, but the show did it in a way that surprised me and to be honest made me happy with the way it was handled.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

BioEnchanted posted:

I like the sentiment Greg extends in "I hate Everything (But You)" where Greg is telling Rebecca why he isn't enjoying their day out, where he's making clear that he dislikes a lot of corny things lots of other people enjoy and despises cliches, but has this moment of leniency/perspective:

"I hate the phrase 'Love Conquers all' and I hate that it's true, but I want to not hate things when I'm with you, you love so many things and you have so much fun, it makes me wish my hating days were dooone."

That's a sweet sentiment, and I like that he admits that that particular cliche exists for a reason.

Also his delivery on :byodood:"EVEN MORE EXAMPLES!" is hilarious.

Yeah honestly, I'll probably be going back to that song more than any of Santino's songs as Greg. I love the Springsteen themed recitation at modern frustrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Zil posted:

I had a feeling she wasn't going to pick anybody, but the show did it in a way that surprised me and to be honest made me happy with the way it was handled.

An important thing for me is that at the end, she's open to love- she hasn't sworn it off like before, she just refused that particular choice at that particular point in her life. It leaves the sense that this isn't really the end of anyone's story, they'll go on, but we just don't get to see what happens next.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Maxwell Lord posted:

An important thing for me is that at the end, she's open to love- she hasn't sworn it off like before, she just refused that particular choice at that particular point in her life. It leaves the sense that this isn't really the end of anyone's story, they'll go on, but we just don't get to see what happens next.

One interview said basically that.
Bloom and Brosh McKenna said they spent four years turning Rebecca's life upside-down. Now she's finally able to get back to a normal life. No more sitcom situations for her!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Absolutely wonderful, although I wish we'd gotten to see the song at the end.

I actually clapped when Rebecca said, "romantic love is not an ending". I loved this show so much! It was so good!

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
All four seasons of Crazy Ex Girlfriend are now on Netflix.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I'm just happy that White Josh got a full number this season. David Hull is a treasure.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

To be fair he also got Fit Hot Guys alongside Nathaniel.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Finally finished with the show and I liked where it ended. Everyone except Trent and sadly White Josh (those drat wildfires!) ended up in a better place mentally. It's nice to see how far everyone's come since the pilot; I mean Greg is a brand new man! Can't wait to see the cast in their future endeavors.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I really wish they'd done more with White Josh. He could have been a great foil to Rebecca since he's the only other character with a direct connection to the three guys

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Was AJ (the character) supposed to be genderqueer? My girlfriend and I were talking about it, did the showrunners say anything?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Was AJ (the character) supposed to be genderqueer? My girlfriend and I were talking about it, did the showrunners say anything?

At the very least they were Androgynous.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Rebecca refers to AJ using male pronouns at least once.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

FactsAreUseless posted:

I thought so but he was always referred to as a dude and the actor identifiers as a gay dude if I remember correctly.
That's my one disappointment: no trans representation at all. Bisexuals got a whole song.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Sorry for the delayed response, couldn't watch the finale near air time because I was abroad, only catching up now.

BioEnchanted posted:

I loved Rebecca pulling Paula into her 11:00 stage and her realising how powerful Rebecca's coping mechanism was.

That's like breaking the 5th wall, right?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I saw the true finale which was the Radio City Musical Hall performance last night. It was pretty amazing and included two marriage proposals on stage. "The Math of Love Triangles" is now ruined because it doesn't involve Rachel jumping into White Josh's arms and yelling, "SWING ME, BITCH!"

The big finish was Rachel performing "Heavy Boobs" completely topless and actually holding all of the items in the song under her boobs.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
You can't do that on television!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
She blindfolded a twelve-year-old boy sitting in the front row as well as her in-laws.

Peter Gardner also performed "My Sperm is Healthy" with his two real-life sons dressed as sperm and ended the song with "I had sex with your mom!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So yesterday at their Radio City Music Hall performance, Skylar Astin couldn't make it, so they got a replacement.

Lin-Manuel Miranda.