Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS
EVS was just confirmed to be a Verified User(!) of KiwiFarms(!!!) too.

https://twitter.com/kwanzer/status/1285333322672025600?s=20

CaligulaKangaroo fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

That sucks, I like his art. Won't be seeing much of it from here on out.

Richard C. Meyer's book did pop up in a tweet of his from like last year.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1288636051712606210?s=20

https://twitter.com/Mitografia/status/1099197817875181569

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Thibert's kinda doubling down on the cancer thing...

https://twitter.com/ArtThibert/status/1289452863647703041

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, on some level I like that things are usually just ignored if they're a terrible idea. Sadly now and then you get things like Millar bringing back Hank Pym as a domestic abuser in Ultimates. I worry one day somebody will have the big idea to revisit Avengers #200.

And when those ideas get revisited, they tend to stick too.

I didn’t know about that until The Ultimates. But now it’s a defining characteristic of Pym.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Not directly comicsgate related, because I think she left the industry before comicsgate had a label but :lol:
https://twitter.com/mollycrabapple/status/1291484609419542528?s=20

Molly is odd... on one hand, Dr. Sketchy's is super cool, and a lot of her political writing is excellent.

On the other hand, she has a lot of terrible friends. Like Weev and Warren Ellis.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Green Intern posted:

Here’s a fun exercise: take a finger and cover Enchantress from the waist down. Now slowly move your finger to reveal the full body and marvel once again at how hosed up this anatomy is.

That reminds me of a challenge the animators at DC used to do:

Reproduce a Rob Liefeld panel correcting all of the anatomical and perspective errors.

(This is from Lauren Montgomery)

CaligulaKangaroo fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 15, 2020

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

I am willing to forgive all Tom King's faults for one Kite Man.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Wanderer posted:

Maybe it's the Mike Cernovich thing where he made out very well in a divorce from a wealthy spouse.

Probably why he doesn't need the juice business anymore.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

bessantj posted:

I don't think I heard anything about them since this whole COVID business began, I wonder if EVS is the only creator that made any real money off of it (Unless I'm forgetting others that did well.)

Mike Baron IndieGoGo’d a Florida Man book edited by the Bleeding Fool guy, and drawn some random gater who kept spamming that “Whisper Network” article in a bunch of Facebook groups. Though with the exception of that last bit, they tried to downplay their connections to it.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

This makes Whedon’s weird “It felt like I had a disease, like something from a Greek myth” explanation even grosser in retrospect.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Skwirl posted:

He hasn't been accused of anything by people in Firefly, it might just be he waits until the second season of a show to become a monster.

There's a part of me that wonders Whedon being a dick was a factor in Firefly's bungling. It obviously wouldn't be the only factor. But after almost two decades of "Bring back Firefly" petitions and internet rumor-false starts, Whedon's general shittiness seems like it would be the obvious barrier.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

"She had this magic syringe. She would take this drug. And if she were, for instance, raped, the rapist would die a horrible death. The story was that she gets kidnapped by Reavers and when Mal finally got to the ship to save her from the Reavers, he gets on the Reaver ship and all the Reavers are dead. Which would suggest a kind of really bad assault. At the end of the episode, he comes in after she's been horribly brutalized, and he comes in and he gets down on his knee, and he takes her hand. And he treats her like a lady. And that's the kind of stuff that we wanted to do. It was very dark. And this was actually the first story that Joss pitched to me when he asked me to come work on the show. He said, 'These are the kind of stories we're going to do.'"

Before all of this, I forgot how much rape there actually was in Firefly. Like... holy gently caress, Joss.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

He and Alan Tudyk reportedly came close to blows on the set at least once and seem to despise each other, if I'm recalling correctly.

From what it sounds like (from this interview at least), they were friendly, but would get frustrated with each other. At least from Joss’s perspective.

Also...

quote:

Adam has always been a very conservative Libertarian, and he’s always been a very sweet and grateful and hard working actor, and that’s the guy I like to think about, not the guy who is calling me and Felicia Day out on Twitter because some obnoxious person is on our side and saying, ‘This proves...’ something. I don’t understand.

I never understood. He very sweetly begged me not to vaccinate my children. He gave me books on the subject.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Ehh, I don't think Bendis wrote extensive notes on The Thing's reproductive organs when he put him on Avengers.

Chuck Austen and Nightcrawler on the other hand...

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Speaking of penises...

https://twitter.com/maskofdphantasm/status/1364653101614051331?s=21

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

EVS is trying to insert himself into the TSR drama. And apparently trying to recruit E. Gary Gygax Jr. into ComicsGate.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

There was like a minute last year when he seemed to realize this was a bad idea. But I guess that didn't last long.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

So… something just really loving weird.

I guess Iron Liz is remaking Linkara’s old Lightbringer comic with a bunch of ComicsGate folks.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Wanderer posted:

That struck me as strange. I don't watch Linkara, but his Twitter is consistently left-adjacent and the guy himself always seemed like a decent sort.

He used to be a little more conservative than he is now. Not anything super extreme to my knowledge, but enough that he put a disclaimer on some of his recent compilations.

CaligulaKangaroo fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 23, 2022

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Erica Henderson may have won the entire discourse.

https://twitter.com/EricaFails/status/1491475061173325826?s=20&t=U3Y2gdAfhS-lP2IcS3Wvvg

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Skwirl posted:

In addition to Erica Henderson's own ethnicity. The Editor in Chief of Marvel is a white dude named C.B. Cebulski, who, when he was an editor at a time when Marvel didn't let editors also write for them, ghost wrote under the name Akira Yoshida and claimed to be a born and raised in Japan (obviously these claims were over email, not in person).

Cebulski also was kind of the driving force behind the Marvel Mangaverse. Which could get weird.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Yeah, he has a bit of a history with being a little clumsy with loaded phrases/imagery (the GamerGate reference in his Thor run pissed off Zoe Quinn). But he doesn't seem like a bad dude at all.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Oh poo poo!

My mistake!

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

E the Shaggy posted:

But you never actually know when these Gaters are actually going to release a book. Wasn't this supposed to come out over a year ago?

God what a racket EVS and these other assholes have. Pay me for books that never come out pay pigs!

It’s amazing how much disposable income they have when it comes to triggering the SJWs.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

Also to be clear, that screencap is from KiwiFarms, where EVS is a frequent poster.

Still weirds me out that KiwiFarms has verified users. And that anyone, even a creeper like EVS, would want to be one.

CaligulaKangaroo fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 11, 2022

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

E the Shaggy posted:

Van Sciver is thinking of starting his own Kickstarter-like service for books that come out three years late. What could go wrong?

CG has tried to start their own crownfunding platform a couple times before, but it's never really taken off in any meaningful way. There was a guy who tried to start an "Anti-Cancel Culture" one on a couple Facebook pages a couple years ago. But he got pissed when no one wanted to use it and deleted everything.

CaligulaKangaroo fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 18, 2022

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Did you ever hear the story about how, when Kirby turned in the pencils for the first issue of the Galactus trilogy, Stan Lee was surprised to see a silver guy riding a surfboard in the story, since they had never discussed such a character?

Yep.

I think Lee’s version of the story was that he saw it in the concept art. But it’s pretty much accepted that it was when he saw the actual pages.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Oh god…. what if EVS is a goon?

Someone check FYIAD and report back!!

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

JordanKai posted:

Ugh, that sucks.

They straight up tapped Joe Arpaio's legal team.

That's exceptionally scummy.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

Here is Millar during 2011 London riots

Since then and considering content of his comics, I'd safely pinpoint his politics as "redfaced dumbass reacting to tv at local pub"

My understanding of Mark Millar's politics is that the bit in Kick rear end where Hit-Girl defines the word "Democrat" is more or less what he actually believes.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

site posted:

yeah i can't really take any excuse from millar seriously when, further down in gail's thread, you wind up seeing this

Kind of hilarious how “The Whisper Network” is pretty much the ComicsGate equivalent of “The Deep State” and Andrew Tate’s “Matrix.”

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Wanderer posted:

I glanced at Twitter today and Comicsgate was trending. Apparently there's been a big YouTube schism between EVS and some other mook, so the snake is currently swallowing its own tail. Maybe again? Not sure, really.

Was it Eric July? Because there was some sort of weird issue between them that sort of spiraled. I’m not 100% what, but it sounds like something super petty that probably could have talked out in normal circumstances.

There are a bunch of folks pissed off July hired the Soska twins though.

https://x.com/vitocomedy/status/1746587016052294050?s=61&t=TecuJlR2GMiyg6jy_3J4Bw

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Yeah. He’s been on Fox and Friends too. Guy’s a self-described AnCap.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

They also were big supporters of the Open Secret documentary, which is all about sexual abuse in Hollywood. I don’t know if the producers of that were already QAnon-sympathetic, or if they got pulled into it, but as soon as folks like Posobiec and Cernovich started trying to make it a part of their narrative, they fell right in.

I guess it’s entirely possible they aren’t super CHUDy personally and just support the monstrous pieces of poo poo they do for non-political reasons. I know they supported WWE Superstar Kane for mayor mostly because they got along with him on the set of See No Evil 2. But like… I’m not sure if that’s better.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

It is. I was reminded above that Rippaverse founder Eric July is a "libertarian" commentator for Glenn Beck's network and thus gets to be The Good Minority for ComicsGate except EVS doesn't like him anymore?

I’m not still not 100% sure why. Like… they had some sort of a blowup offline that found its way online. Best I can tell, it has to do with July making fun of the International School of Ministry (who were mad about him calling his book “Isom.”), and EVS being offended by that on religious grounds. But that’s just what it seems like from a couple quick Twitter searches. There’s probably a two hour stream that goes into more detail. But I don’t wanna…

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Kurui Reiten posted:

Maybe before EVS, but EVS was very clear that he drew Sinestro to resemble Hitler.

He also is very clear that he likes Hitler.

Didn’t help he literally titled a sketchbook Mein Kampf (but in English).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Disco Pope posted:

I seem to remember Frank Miller pulled-up and got his poo poo together somewhat. Is that untrue? Is he even still active, anyway? He looked incredibly unwell last time I saw a photo.

He was a big supporter of the SAG-AFTRA strike last year. And has at least hinted he regrets Holy Terror.

https://x.com/frankmillerink/status/1681013498912940032?s=46&t=KVB7H3367OynmTv03fAF3Q