Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

he dumpstatted them so hard it flipped over and he won the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Chilchuck: PROUD UNION MAN.

:colbert:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Lt. Lizard posted:

So ultimately, every member of the party has a shot for being considered as the one with the least character flaws, except Laios. :v:

Honestly it's more like this:

https://x.com/kellyonelani/status/1777047048782761992?s=46

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

lunar detritus posted:

and apparently values food over being against child labor :v:

Makes sense culturally for Senshi, child dwarves will work in the mines doing stuff like loading rocks.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

ryoko kui does a very good job writing fully realized characters and she also has an incredibly firm command of tone, which is why senshi seems like he doesn't have many flaws. his "flaws", such as they are, are all very straightforwardly linked to the serious trauma that put him in the dungeon in the first place, which isn't a particularly funny thing and consequently comes up in pretty limited and specific places in this largely comedic series

this is also why laios seems most flawed; his problems play well as both comedy and drama, the story explores them to the fullest on each side, and this is fundamentally his story (and another thing ryoko kui has incredible command of is pacing and scope)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Valentin posted:

(and another thing ryoko kui has incredible command of is pacing and scope)

Yeah, that's something I admire about this series - i.e., everything feels like it belongs in telling the story and there isn't any filler. If anything, the world building and character design is so rich that I constantly want to know and seek out more info about the setting and the people in it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If I'm remembering everything correctly, Senshi has been living in the upper floors of the dungeon for uhh 70 ish years? He was 35 or so when the Griffin/Hippogriff incident went down, and he's over 100 years old now. He's basically isolated from outside society except to buy spices and be irritated at magic. In the very specific context of "we have to eat our way to the bottom of the dungeon" it's not a character flaw exactly but it would absolutely cause problems in another story

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Senshi's the kind of guy who gets really rooted in his ways and won't challenge his own thinking or reasoning, even if he's willing to reevaluate something after the fact if he gets a big enough shock to his beliefs. Like harvesting the mandrakes, he had his way, it had always worked for him, therefore it was the only way to do it.

It puts him in danger with the kelpie because he'd always had positive interactions with it and he valued his own experiences over the outside knowledge of someone else (and also the mingling of his emotions with his former party's dead horse :( ).

His goals tended to align with the party so there wasn't much opportunity for friction, but Senshi is a pretty stubborn guy and his stubbornness has been reinforced by it keeping him alive for so long on his own.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Senshi reminds me of one of those hikers or cavers who end up dying and you always read something afterwards about how shocking it is, because they were just so experienced, despite like, doing a thing a lot doesn't exactly mean you are doing it safely all the time.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Snooze Cruise posted:

Senshi reminds me of one of those hikers or cavers who end up dying

Well,

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/desapyr/status/1777790838120345872

What great roommates

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

They found him and fix him right up in that extra!!

neat

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Yeah, that's something I admire about this series - i.e., everything feels like it belongs in telling the story and there isn't any filler. If anything, the world building and character design is so rich that I constantly want to know and seek out more info about the setting and the people in it.

It's going to be interesting once the anime gets to Falin's return in a week and a half since from that point forward the manga kicks into high gear and never lets up. Chimera is Chapter 38 of 97 and I'd have difficulty finding a wasted chapter afterwards.

YggiDee posted:

If I'm remembering everything correctly, Senshi has been living in the upper floors of the dungeon for uhh 70 ish years? He was 35 or so when the Griffin/Hippogriff incident went down, and he's over 100 years old now. He's basically isolated from outside society except to buy spices and be irritated at magic. In the very specific context of "we have to eat our way to the bottom of the dungeon" it's not a character flaw exactly but it would absolutely cause problems in another story

From the Adventurer's Bible:

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I never get used to how different he looks with and without the helmet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://linktoo.tumblr.com/post/742674966942760960

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
BTW for whoever recommended the Delicious in Dungeon expo earlier, apparently I need to register an account before I can order a ticket and attach a Japanese mobile phone number so the website can call me to authenticate the account.... But I don't have a Japanese phone number yet, so I guess that's not happening. Do I need to wait until I arrive in Japan to have my hotel help me purchase the ticket? Honestly the way Japan seems to handle reserving tickets and restaurants is simply maddening if you're still overseas, so I don't know how you all do this stuff. :psyboom:

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

BTW for whoever recommended the Delicious in Dungeon expo earlier, apparently I need to register an account before I can order a ticket and attach a Japanese mobile phone number so the website can call me to authenticate the account.... But I don't have a Japanese phone number yet, so I guess that's not happening. Do I need to wait until I arrive in Japan to have my hotel help me purchase the ticket? Honestly the way Japan seems to handle reserving tickets and restaurants is simply maddening if you're still overseas, so I don't know how you all do this stuff. :psyboom:

I had the exact same problem trying to get tickets to a Bocchi the Rock exhibit while overseas and eventually gave up and waited til I landed in Japan to buy tickets in a Lawson at their physical machine :v:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/TheBoundWatcher/status/1777207498421965103/
https://twitter.com/LilAuddity/status/1777483320156148147

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
In this comic we also see that Chilchuck is indeed the Thief of the DnD party even if never acknowledged as such, because he steals snacks from little children.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

In this comic we also see that Chilchuck is indeed the Thief of the DnD party even if never acknowledged as such, because he steals snacks from little children.

Nah. Since they're his kids, that just makes him a parent.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Nah. Since they're his kids, that just makes him a parent.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

chiasaur11 posted:

Nah. Since they're his kids, that just makes him a(p)parent.

Yes it is quite clear he is a thief.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Lmao.
https://twitter.com/Uh_spunj/status/1777424561757376759

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

"Where's mom?"

"Trolls got her."

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Scholtz posted:

"Where's mom?"

"Trolls got her."

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Wow, Chilchuck is a dick. Leave some snacks for your kids.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

counterpoint, be mean to your kids

logger
Jun 28, 2008

Soiled Meat
From the anime thread

quote:

Laios is definitely eating a sentient being before this is done.

I wonder if the season will end on their plan to eat one.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

kidcoelacanth posted:

counterpoint, be mean to your kids

He.could at least stop picking his nose when he lies to them about the snacks.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

logger posted:

From the anime thread

Laius lays out his plan a chapter or two before the 1st Floor incident with the Canaries (just after the hippogriff) so probably.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Also from the anime thread:

SexyBlindfold posted:

so glad that this divorced, middle-aged father of three finally gets to learn about the birds and the bees

Luckily everyone is ignoring it. But come on...

derra
Dec 29, 2012

logger posted:

From the anime thread

The trailer had Senshi's lines about greed and Marcielle crying out about sharing a meal soon (w Falin), which is in the same chapter as their plan IIRC

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Fat and Useless posted:

Also from the anime thread:

Luckily everyone is ignoring it. But come on...

i agree, ban this poster, and have them write me, personally, a check for 40 dollars

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

logger posted:

From the anime thread

I'm still betting on 55. It wouldn't be much of a stretch (about the same speed as cour 1) and I cannot imagine the elves would be as prominent in the promotional material if all they do in the season is talk to kabru and then walk into the dungeon

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Anyone ever tried versions of the recipes from the story? Some of 'em sound really good

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I have, but getting the ingredients is the hard part. I keep running out of dogs.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

Soiled Meat

grassy gnoll posted:

I have, but getting the ingredients is the hard part. I keep running out of dogs.

Use giant bats instead then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I know Japan sometimes has those pop-up themed cafes, so it'd be the easiest money-maker ever to throw up a Dungeon Meshi cafe.

I want to try ghost ice cream, drat it!