Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
been watching the anime with friends every other week or so. it's very funny being the only person who
A: watches the episodes as soon as they come out
and B: has read the manga

specifically because my friends will come up with theories like "maybe the red dragon is walking around so much because falin is alive and fighting it from the inside" and im just like

"yeah :) maybe :)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

SexyBlindfold posted:

will they dare to give izutsumi nya-speech

They should specifically when they are in that one village where all the monsters are tame.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

SexyBlindfold posted:

will they dare to give izutsumi nya-speech

No, that would be a catgirl, Izu is a girlcat. :colbert:

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
They should give her wagahai pronouns.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

I wish people would stop spoiling the fun with Kabru and let new audiences figure them out for themselves~

I too feel the pain of people misunderstanding my boy but I agree the newbies need to learn to the error of their ways themselves.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Its fine I hated him too until I learned that he is capable of caring for another person (Mithrun.)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Quoting from the anime thread.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Speaking of the new episode, I only just realized Kabru failed to perma kill the corpse gatherers. In Laios royal speech panel in chapter 96, they are there in the crowd. No one comments on it, but somehow they are back in time for the grand Falin feast.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
maybe some ghosts took them over and chose to be chill about it

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
My joke theories are that either their bodies managed to float back up during the big battle on the water and they got revived and conscripted into the fight, or the demon accidentally grabbed a ton of undiscovered corpses along with everyone else and decided they could join the infinite feast too.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

MiracleFlare posted:

My joke theories are that either their bodies managed to float back up during the big battle on the water and they got revived and conscripted into the fight, or the demon accidentally grabbed a ton of undiscovered corpses along with everyone else and decided they could join the infinite feast too.
Clearly all of them had twin brothers who were on the up and up

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The corpse hunters got found by other corpse hunters.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

When the dungeon is defeated, the instance closes and everyone respawns in the lobby.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Arguably the whole place being folded up and going open-air would have pushed the corpse hunter corpses up to where the corpse hunter corpse hunters could be expected to find those corpses.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
The corpse hunter hunters are just the two leads from The Dungeon That Kills All Adventurers. They wanted to try tinkering with the dungeon ecology so that the population of people would self-regulate too but as usual things got out of hand.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

here is a very cute fanart blog, much of which poses the question "what if senshi found izutsumi first?"

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
My god that's purestrain diabetes. I love it

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Apraxin posted:

no worries. i'm also going to be in tokyo (first time back in japan since i lived there 15 years ago), but only for the final day of the exhibition, so probably won't be much left at that point even if tickets are still available. acquire merchandise vicariously for me lol.

Of course! I'll definitely take pictures wherever I can. It looks they'll even be selling that awesome Fallin stomach skeleton shirt (I doubt it'll fit me, though, unless they have 3XL Asian fit lol).

Also this photo op looks amazing:

:allears:

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

kidcoelacanth posted:

here is a very cute fanart blog, much of which poses the question "what if senshi found izutsumi first?"

:3:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I like the character beats revealed by Senshi's diary in the supplementary materials. Namely that

a) He is very upset at Laios and Marcille for press-ganging a poor orphaned tallman child into lockpicking service
b) He will not say a word about this if it gets him closer to eating the red dragon

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

kidcoelacanth posted:

they're all good but my 2 favs:

Izutsumi making biscuits on Senshi's beard
izutsumi sleeping in Senshi's pot

Henker
May 5, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

I like the character beats revealed by Senshi's diary in the supplementary materials. Namely that

a) He is very upset at Laios and Marcille for press-ganging a poor orphaned tallman child into lockpicking service
b) He will not say a word about this if it gets him closer to eating the red dragon
Senshi is a character who IMO lacks flaws compared to the rest of the main cast, but I do enjoy that he sucks at understanding basic facts the other human races (like correctly determining their age).

Henker fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 8, 2024

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Henker posted:

Senshi is character who IMO lacks character flaws compared to the rest of the main cast, but I do enjoy that he sucks at understanding basic facts the other human races (like correctly determining their age).

and apparently values food over being against child labor :v:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
"is smelly" doing a lot of work as the only Senshi flaw that's unique to him (namari was also garbage at guessing ages, remember when she described Falin as "uh... somewhere between in her teens and 40 something :confused:"?)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

SexyBlindfold posted:

"is smelly" doing a lot of work as the only Senshi flaw that's unique to him (namari was also garbage at guessing ages, remember when she described Falin as "uh... somewhere between in her teens and 40 something :confused:"?)

Senshi is also more prone to racial prejudices than the other members of the cast, and tends to be a little arrogant about his superior knowledge of the dungeon that sometimes lead to him being eaten by a kelpie. (He's also pretty fussy about magic being "the easy way" which honestly kind of merits a "let's see you do it, then, Mr. Didn't-Get-A-Degree-In-Sorcery".)

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Senshi's biggest flaws are single-mindedness and a lack of self awareness, which gets himself and the party almost killed multiple times (think the kelpie, and blowing up the red dragon). I get how he can feel overly perfect, as he's uniquely suited to the dungeon, and people almost die all the time in this series. But like, I don't think he sticks out too much or anything like that.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
Senshi's flaws are low-key because he's a low-key guy. I'd say it's actually Chilchuck who's the least-flawed member of the party -- the only things you can really count against him are his occasional abrasiveness and lack of honesty.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
It's not that Senshi's flawless, it's that he doesn't get many opportunities to showcase his flaws. He's basically a worse version of Laios.

It's just that his difficulties in dealing with people don't pop up very often because he fled society and lives alone as a dungeon hermit, and his decades of experience living Laios' dream means that he tends to be less impulsive about his monster obsession than Laios is. He's found ways to adapt to his flaws and avoid being dragged into trouble by them too often, but he's still plenty flawed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well Senshi is not going obsessed with Monsters like Laios. He’s a chef who enjoys exotic ingredients like monsters. He knows a fair amount from experience, but has never dug deep on them like Laios has.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Senshi is a craftsman.
Laios is... *sigh* look, just let the boy ramble for a while, okay?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Honestly I feel like Marcille probably has the fewest flaws as far as normal life goes. She really only starts acting crazy when the situation gets crazy, like, when her girlfriend dies or she gets the chance to seize the power of a god.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
She does have the flaw of being pushy with Falin to present more femme.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Chilchuck could have a lot of flaws, he's just going to clam up and never tell you about them. The only times we learn anything about him is when he spends most of an issue getting the poo poo kicked out of him, and then you'll learn, like, how old he is exactly. And he doesn't have a lot of those, and he doesn't come with flashbacks except for mimic misadventures. I think we know more about him from the bibles than the main manga. That's where we meet his daughters and see him take Itsuzumi under his wing because he doesn't trust Laios with her.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I feel like Chilchuck's major flaw is pretty clearly "unable to express his emotions without an entire chapter of prep".

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Not just emotions. Any information.

Remember, Kabru can piece together his theory because he remembers Laois being generous with ex-party members, Marcille and Falin going to school together, Shuro's crush on Falin, and Namari's daddy troubles, but he's not 100% sure what Chilchuck's name is, and the scab he hired has to explain that Chilchuck helped found and run the halfling union. I don't remember Chilchuck himself mentioning the union. Kabru is a sponge for this kind of info and he has nothing to work with here.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It takes an entire chapter and several verbal dope slaps from Leed for Chilchuck to say to Laios 'I don't want all of you to go get yourselves killed'

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Senshi is not going obsessed with Monsters like Laios. He’s a chef who enjoys exotic ingredients like monsters. He knows a fair amount from experience, but has never dug deep on them like Laios has.

If it was just that, he wouldn't have tried to ride the kelpie.

He doesn't cook monsters because he likes exotic ingredients. He cooks monsters because he'd rather live a solitary self-sufficient life down in the dungeon with monsters than live out in society with other people. Somewhere along the line, he turned that into a genuine love for living off the land as part of the ecosystem, existing in harmony with monsters.

But his original motivation was just a fixation on the dungeon, an inability to move beyond the traumas he experienced down there. He just couldn't bear to leave it behind.

If there's a difference, it's that Laios developed his love for monsters long before he was dealing with them regularly, while Senshi started living among monsters first and only then started to develop affection toward them.

They certainly have similar levels of social dysfunction:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
But he’s not interested in them like Laios is was my point. He’s experienced with them and the ecology of the dungeon and enjoys it. But his knowledge about monsters is not robust and heavily researched. He liked the Kelpie but never had learned a ton about it, or he never would have tried to ride it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Chilchuck is a very professional person, he clearly wants to keep his personal and professional lives quite separate which is why he is reluctant to talk about himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
So ultimately, every member of the party has a shot for being considered as the one with the least character flaws, except Laios. :v: