Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I was not prepared for Halfling Senshi. :swoon: Human Senshi reminds me of Thorin from the Hobbit movie.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Every time we're reassured that if Senshi wasn't a dwarf he'd easily be the most conventionally attractive member of the team I just smile because it's so good.

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

halfling marcille was the mvp of this chapter

I love that Laius and Chilchack were in complete sync on what to do there. :allears:

boredsatellite posted:

You know one thing I noticed on a reread is that Laius wants to punish the mad sorcerer and him apologize for his actions. Most people would be like murder the sorcerer and its a good look at what kind of person Laius is.

Yeah, he's such a swell guy. It's really interesting that we see Laius and his friends are all good people, but the chapter with the other party talking about them shows that they all have super sketchy reputations above ground.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

i flunked out posted:

Laius’ sketchy reputation is at least in part literally because he was too nice to sketchy people...

Yep, that's true. We as the reader know that Laius is a good boy, but the other parties above ground don't know that and go by his reputation instead. There's also Marcille, who we know is a good person and researching magic that's forbidden by other elves because she feels cost-free magic could help the world. And when the other parties finds out she used that on Farlyn, they immediately assumed she's evil and wants her court-marshaled by the other elves. It's just really interesting how much Laius and friends thrive in the dungeon when they'd be treated as outcasts above ground.

Tarezax posted:

I interpreted that as just making them vulnerable to predation, due to isolation and presumably some measure of disorientation as well. There's real organisms with similar reproductive strategies, see toxoplasmosis

Yeah, the spores themselves aren't toxic, or else that would have been brought up.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Is anyone else getting some anti-capitalism vibes from the manga? Like the way the situation on the surface is described before this chapter, those in power are content to just sell goods and services to adventurers who are barely scraping by in the dungeon. They even offered rewards for people who can bring up corpses to be resurrected that ended up inviting adventurers killing other adventurers just to get some cash. Plus the dungeon itself looks like it could be used as an infinite source of monster food, but the elves in charge of the island are only interested in the secret of immortality contained inside the dungeon.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Snooze Cruise posted:

Kabru is just straight up my second favorite character below Marcille after this chapter now.

I'm surprised just how much Kabru really grew on me. At first I thought he's someone looking down on others while plotting to become the new ruler of the dungeon.

But the past few chapters really turned that impression around. He just doesn't want the incident that happened to wipe his home to happen ever again. And he doesn't really want power over the dungeon, he just wants the person to do so to be a good person and not corrupted by greed. He's a swell guy, and I hope he and Elf Boss are alright.

Also, this is the first time poor Namari saw what happened to Farlyn, right? That's gotta be really rough. :(

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

This probably the most :3: detail in this chapter:

Especially when you remember what Izutsumi used to think:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

This manga is so good! :allears:

I love that there's lots of smaller funny details that builds off the gags in this chapter. Like smug Laius bragging how he and Farlyn used to have fiancees, or Laius dropping Izutsumi on her face when doing the Greed gag. And going by the dating sim page, Chilchack seems to be closest to Senshi. :3:

The lowkey detail I like most in this chapter is that everyone is so used to Laius' bullshit by now that Marcille and Chilchack just went along with his scheme without any reaction. :v:

Dog Kisser posted:

actual funniest panel
izutsumi thinking about herself haha

edit:
actual actual funniest panel?

Oh my god, I somehow didn't parse that his hand looks like it's been almost torn off/broken.

amigolupus fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 16, 2019

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

So we had a Chilchack-focused chapter and now a Marcille one. We got Senshi's backstory not too long ago, so I guess we'll find out more about Izutsumi next time?

It's interesting that the Thorden siblings' motivation for exploring the dungeon would have gotten Kabru's approval, had he known about it. I hope he and Elf Captain are fine so they can meet up with the party somehow. Marcille and the Elf Captain are probably gonna have some entertaining interactions.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I've been re-reading Dungeon Meshi all over again thanks to that preview and noticed something neat.

Marcille here compares extending your lifespan using your magic as if it was eating your own flesh. At first you're thinking Senshi looks uncomfortable because Marcille's being a nerd, but knowing his backstory and fear you realize Marcille hit a bit too close to home with that remark.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

We got some very powerful faces this chapter. :allears:

While I laughed at Marcille's succubus, I'm extremely disappointed it didn't take the form of Farlyn. :mad:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

A great chapter focusing on Izutsumi. Really shows how far she's come since joining the party. Also I love how Marcille's bite is on her hand, because of course she'd want her prince charming to kiss her on her hand. :v:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

To be fair, it's been like a month since the last chapter came out so I forgot that detail. :v:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The Winged Lion making its first appearance by dunking on Laius was :perfect:.

I love the multi-layered trap the succubus laid out for Laius. Of course Laius wouldn't react to fake-Marcille seducing him, it's the Giga Quad Head and being transformed into a monster that he really wants.

There's lots of interesting tidbits in this chapter. Like how even if the Canaries had managed to kill Thistle, the dungeon wouldn't disappear since it's the Winged Lion who summons the monsters. Kabru's goal of conquering the dungeon would also be impossible since his fear and hatred of monsters wouldn't get him chosen by the Winged Lion. Nemari being absent in the dream sequence is a little weird since Laius still considers her a friend, but I guess the focus was more on the dungeon's inhabitants and Laius' party.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Glad to see Marcille and her wife happy

:same:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I noticed that Fake Marcille's hair was let down and looked a little frizzy and drained. Matched up with Laius' version of shapeshifter Marcille, so it's interesting how Laius seems to remember her.

I think the reason Laius' version of Marcille is like this is because he's strongly linked it with Farlyn. I checked, and Marcille had her hair down back during their first meeting, as well as the time she resurrected Farlyn using the dragon. The latter definitely must have made a pretty big impression on Laius. I wouldn't be surprised if Kui Ryoko planned this well in advance.

Relin posted:

the winged lion is lion-ing about its intentions

Randallteal posted:

I'm definitely expecting some kind of twist there. Given what we've seen of the surface, the fantasy the lion concocted for Laius seemed awfully optimistic, and Laius is naive and trusting enough to be taken advantage of by playing to his noble intentions. Plus, "I am... well, truth be told, I have neither a true name nor form. But many people call me the winged lion." That is suspicious as gently caress. That thing could be anybody.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Good rule of thumb: if someone shows you a tempting vision of future that will come to pass if you help them, don't trust that person/creature, ever. Winged Lion seems to be a bit of a doofus, but I will be genuinely surprised if freeing him from his prison ends up being a good idea.

Canaries alt-accounts spotted.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I imagine being the lord of a dungeon and then getting cut off from it would probably mess up with your senses pretty badly. Though this is Dungeon Meshi, so it's just as likely Misurn being a huge goofball.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Some incredibly strong faces in this chapter. I appreciate Kabru abridging Misurn's incredibly dense story.

Also I still believe in Winged Lion. :colbert:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Lube Enthusiast posted:

A little disappointed he doesn’t just have a natural, lazy eye. Small quote unquote imperfections like that are never seen in manga

e: D-did the elves do something to the Kobold & Oni chick? where are they

I think Kabru said something along the lines of, "Oh, I guess the elves have been too busy to get to them."

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Here's my guesses on how things could go down:

- There's actually two demons, the winged lion and whatever's possessing the book Thistle has. Winged lion turns out to be a benevolent demon, and the book demon trapped it since it's the only thing capable of stopping it. Laius frees the winged lion, stops Thistle and there's no betrayals whatsoever.

- The winged lion is actually manipulating Laius, and is out to eat people's desires like what happened to Misurn. However, Laius and company will convince it to give up on that plan and reform by cooking good food for it.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Snooze Cruise posted:

here are my predictions:
marcille will kiss her gf

Captain Invictus posted:

Option 3: a delicious winged lion stew

I was thinking they'd invite the winged lion to help them eat the dragon parts to separate Farlyn's soul from it. Dragon stew, dragon steak, dragon burger, dragon spareribs...

Bad Seafood posted:

So apparently a few months back Ryoko Kui published a little folding booklet intended to mirror a journal Senshi was keeping. It's since been translated (don't know who, sorry) and posted on /a/, so I figured someone should post it here.

It's funny how Senshi thought Marcille was always dramatic because she's an elf, and then it turns out he's right. Being Super Dramatic is actually an elf racial trait. :v:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I like how Chilchak ate extra hot curry the first day then suffered greatly for it the next day.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's nice to have confirmation that Marcille's theory was right, and that Thistle's spellbook contains something that can separate a soul from a body. That's one less thing to worry about when it comes to their plan of saving Farlyn.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

My god, the way Kui Ryoko drew these dragons are so adorable. :3:

I also like how Laius healed Thistle after letting him up. It's a pretty good character beat.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Roland Jones posted:

Yes, basically. Mickbell is a bad person.

It sheds an interesting light on the part where Kabru's party was talking about Laius's group and Mickbell mentioned how Chilchak was this greedy rear end in a top hat who pressures people into joining his shady guild and makes members pay a big sum of money. Knowing what we do now about Chilchak being such a huge worrywart about others, he probably formed a labor union for adventurers to make sure its members don't get taken advantage of. The money you pay is probably for the union upkeep, but at least you're certain you get decent gigs out of it.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Maybe Laios could have convinced the others about his plan to eat the dragon out of Farlyn in a better way, but the elf's truth spell made him say it in the worst way possible.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Interesting detail on the chapter cover is how every full-blooded elf have pointy ear-tips while Marcille's are more rounded. To other elves, that must've been an instant visual indicates that someone's a half-blood. It wasn't so obvious in early chapters when Marcille is the only elf we know, but this chapter has been drawing attention to the differences in ear-tips between her and the Canaries.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Chilchuck knows too well that Senshi is hot, and that's why he must never meet his daughters.

And that page is right to call out Laios on not paying attention to his friends.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Laios hitting Kabru with an :actually: slayed me. Poor guy never saw it coming.

Holm and Laios would probably get along very well, though. They're both really passionate about monsters/spirits and have a tendency to let slip details about their hobbies that'd give others a headache.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Laios looking at a transformed Lycion is like love at first sight. :v:

chiasaur11 posted:

It's complicated by him being nice on the surface, really.

Kabru acts nice to cover up his cynicism which covers the fact he's actually a nice guy.

I like how Kabru ended up punching Laios in frustration to force him to actually listen, much like Shuro did when they defeated Falin. I don't think Laios is dense, but he can be a bit single-minded about his goals/desires that he doesn't think about things from someone else's perspective.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I appreciate how Marcille's dad had a dadbod physique. Dungeon Meshi's really good with body type representation.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

MikeSevigny posted:

On the one hand I don't think Trigger would half-rear end it, on the other hand I hope you're ready for Dungeon Meshi to get a whole lot hornier.

Only if they do this scene justice:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The manga does a fantastic job making you care about the characters and their motivations. I know that the Canaries losing here is bad for the bigger picture, but at the same time I was rooting for Marcille to beat these snooty elves who think their way is the only correct option.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

C'mon, clearly Laios' greatest desire was to remain a monster and show off his super-rad form to Falin. He'll pop right back up as a human next chapter, I bet.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

As soon as I realized what was gonna happen, I started playing Bye Bye There! from Pizza Tower to set the mood when reading this chapter. :shittydog:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm amused at [Marcille's comment about how someone in their group floated the idea of chopping Laois up to bits and spreading it around the world to act as a monster repellent.

It was probably Falin. :v:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Terrifying Effigies posted:

The page count of sexy Winged Lion discourse in the Dungeon Meshi Season 3/4 thread is going to hit triple digits.

I can't wait for next episode and the Dumplines one where we get "Senshi is a 10 in a party full of 5s" discourse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Raserys posted:

I wonder if there'll be some new tiresome discourse centered around Izutsumi like every other new character that isn't immediately friendly to the party

Thinking about it, I'd rather have the discourse play out rather than having some folks post supplemental material stuff about Izutsumi. I get it's information not in the show, but supplemental comics tend to immediately showcase that this person is actually a friendly person. There was a lot of initial distrust around Kabru at first, but it got defanged when people posted those comics about his party members and how he was super charming.