Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

see title. we need someone else to help out with the tidal wave of reports this forum generates every day and would ideally prefer someone on the us west coast to balance out the time zones once and for all.

your thoughts are welcome. please do not recommend yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
i recommend raskonikov38 so he can wallow in the filth with me

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Volkerball

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Somewhat serious answer: Leon Trotsky with the caveat that he is no longer allowed to post in D&D other than to take mod-action or answer questions directed at him, punishable by permaban. His posting temperament comes across as even-keeled enough to do a good job at moderation in spite of his posting often drifting into idiocy/trolling.

As a long-term reader/occasional poster in the CA thread after skimming a few pages of names the only other one I could think of is Leperflesh and I'm not sure about them, so much of that thread devolves into bursts of lovely, angry ignorance.

3rd option, don't remember the name but they post good in the Trump thread and have a name that makes me think of PPJ's name. I realize how little help this is.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I can't think of any posters whom i think could do it and would want to inflict the burden on. But Ill take the moment to thank our present mods for their work.

Good luck.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Seconding raskonikov38.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I third raskonikov38.

My reasoning is my entire political ideology was born centered around this campaign ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XXEHZsAkR0

and more specifically the single question asked by Bernie at the end: who benefits from this exploitation I seek to challenge those who would pretend the labor issues of the poor and disadvantaged are irrelevant to the modern nightmares of today. What D&D needs is someone with just enough bloodlust and hope for a better future in the face of an outright doomsday event to challenge the comfortable and the committed to open their eyes and face the struggles of the poor and working world. I've slept under bridges in Manhattan and rode first class across the Atlantic Ocean. In these experiences I've learned there is no difference between the poorest and most distraught of our society versus the richest and most comfortable of our society. Our discourse deserves someone who actually cares about the poorest and most vulnerable of our society beyond a joke or personal branding. I hope raskonikov38 has the courage to clean up the rich corporatist liberalism that has infected this forum and is willing to challenge it headon for the benefit of the working poor across America.

Who benefits from this exploitation? That is what any mod of D&D should be challenging.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Whoever it is (and I think raskonikov38 is a great choice, despite the jeopardy that'll put my own rapsheet in), D&D really ought to consider innovating with an anonymous or burner account for its new mod.

Given the inevitability of offsite attention and, as we've seen, the caterwauling over alleged mod bias, I think it'd be an improvement overall.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Paracaidas posted:

Whoever it is (and I think raskonikov38 is a great choice, despite the jeopardy that'll put my own rapsheet in), D&D really ought to consider innovating with an anonymous or burner account for its new mod.

Given the inevitability of offsite attention and, as we've seen, the caterwauling over alleged mod bias, I think it'd be an improvement overall.

Get 5 new mods all with the same account name, call it Cory Booker.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
McCaine

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Bring back Koala's March, that she may mod the wastelands of D&D as well as exercising tighter control over TGRS directly.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
i endorse the anonymous/burner account for a new mod idea.

this is probably the most aggravating forum for mods to mod and i think no matter who gets picked people will be mad and associate the modding choices with people getting revenge on posters/ideologies they dislike no matter how valid the mod's probations/bans/thread policing might be.

if there's a burner/anonymous mod account then people can't scream they're being silenced by the libs/cons/berniebros/hill-bots/communists/nazis/antidisestablishmentarians/etc.

if that doesn't work though, Tony Gunk has usually posted pretty well and has a fairly clean rap sheet.

axeil fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 16, 2018

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I think PPJ is a swell mod.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Raskolnikov would be good as a full mod. Lightning Knight is also a good dude with a good head on his shoulders and while I wouldn't technically wish this upon him, well, all actions have consequences and this is what happens when you post good.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Paracaidas posted:

D&D really ought to consider innovating with an anonymous or burner account for its new mod.

This is a good idea.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

axeil posted:

if that doesn't work though, Tony Gunk has usually posted pretty well and has a fairly clean rap sheet.

Oh dear God.

I came in here to suggest you give evilweasel his star back. I always enjoy his law treatises and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Paracaidas posted:

I think a burner / anonymous mod would multiply the drama rather than corral it. People would still ascribe agency and bias to the anonmod, it would just get cloaked behind an additional layer of conspiracy theory.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
if you'd also like to suggest somebody as idiot king now would be the time to do it

just be warned idiot kings don't get reports and since september we've gone through about 600+

idiot king's primary focus would be their main thread; we already have one for UKMT and Auspol so if germany thread or canpol thread needs one, for instance, let us know

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 16, 2018

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
There is no bigger idiot than PT6A for canpol

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The monkey's paw demands someone from the Thunderdome.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Prester Jane.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think a burner / anonymous mod would multiply the drama rather than corral it. People would still ascribe agency and bias to the anonmod, it would just get cloaked behind an additional layer of conspiracy theory.

I understand this objection, and agree that it's the largest flaw (especially with the concern that anonmod will be both posting and using modrights to settle posting grudges). On the other hand, it's not as if HomEx or even PPJ are prolific posters post-ascension. Beyond that, anything harsher than sixers still require a second (if perfunctory) opinion. Though I admit I think that anyone whining about sixers deserves far more.

The ~modbias~ whinging is a secondary benefit for me compared to the other, as it's my understanding that many qualified candidates over the years (including the thread's preference, somewhat recently) have declined the reins over those concerns.

As general feedback(D&DCS!), I second that PPJ is doing a great job and am pleasantly (and selfishly) surprised that his edict in the 2020 thread has managed to keep it pretty readable despite heavy presences from many of the people rushing into the Trumpthread to drop :jerkbag:Liberals:jerkbag: and :allears:lol The Left:allears: posterburns on the topic of the 2020 candidates. I know it requires extra mod work, but it seems like a situation where fairly explicit standards of behavior have improved the quality of posting. I hope to see it continue.

Party Plane Jones posted:

just be warned idiot kings don't get reports and since september we've gone through about 600+
I can take this to dadchat if preferred, but could we get a breakdown on where these complaints are coming from? I suspect Trumpthread leads, if only based on traffic and a somewhat more ideologically diverse population, but I've got no idea of magnitude or what other dramathreads are.

I'll toss a nod to KM as well, either as IK (if radium allows) or full mod (though I wouldn't wish that upon anyone). Allowing her to nip the more :chloe: nonsense on race and/or gender in the bud would go a long way to beautifying these forums.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Paracaidas posted:

I can take this to dadchat if preferred, but could we get a breakdown on where these complaints are coming from? I suspect Trumpthread leads, if only based on traffic and a somewhat more ideologically diverse population, but I've got no idea of magnitude or what other dramathreads are.

probably 70% come from trumpthread, 5% from USPOL, 5/5 for local/state and the 2020 thread; 5% from venezuela thread. remaining 15% are fairly random in distribution

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I can't think of anyone, unfortunately.

Comedy option: bring back Iron Rose, make her IK

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'll volunteer, I'm on West Coast time in Seattle and I rarely post and therefore can hate everything without bias. My bona fides are that I've read all 4 full iterations of the Trump thread and I haven't succumbed to insanity yet. I'll also bring back funny mod challenges and try to make Leon Trotsky eat a fruit hat at first opportunity.

E: I also have been running the WoW Lore thread for like ten years, so believe me I know a bad post when I see one

E2: Totally serious

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

T-man posted:

Prester Jane.

Gods no. I hate being the person in charge.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Prester Jane posted:

Gods no. I hate being the person in charge.

Oh hey welcome back PJ. If I am modded I'd be laying down 6ers on anyone that launches another Trumpthread derail about you because good god above I'm sick of a discussion flying off a bridge about whether or not you're a modern day Nostradamus and/or deciding it's a great and perfect time for a hot take on why you're full of poo poo during a compaction cycle or something.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

PT6A posted:

Bring back Koala's March, that she may mod the wastelands of D&D as well as exercising tighter control over TGRS directly.

Same. KM is active in the Trumpthread (which is where the majority of D&D reports come from) and is a good poster in general.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Kith posted:

Same. KM is active in the Trumpthread (which is where the majority of D&D reports come from) and is a good poster in general.

I also endorse KM for D&D mod, assuming that the anon/burner mod plan won't work.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

PT6A posted:

This.

Evilweasel is pretty good too.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Ugh fine then. HonorableTB.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Also it seems to me that reporting is being weaponized to some extent. This weird to me (I've never reported a post). But is it possible to give it (reporting) a cost? Maybe the reportor can't post for an hour. People would still report awful poo poo, but you'd get less spam reporting.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I cannot think of someone less suitable to be a mod than the dude who got so angry he was losing arguments he started handing out monthers.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

BrandorKP posted:

This.

Evilweasel is pretty good too.

I like evilweasel's posts but he used to be a mod some time ago and was, well, controversial

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

T-man posted:

Ugh fine then. HonorableTB.

Thank you for your support, your Soros check is in the mail

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
bring back xylojw

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

BrandorKP posted:

Also it seems to me that reporting is being weaponized to some extent. This weird to me (I've never reported a post). But is it possible to give it (reporting) a cost? Maybe the reportor can't post for an hour. People would still report awful poo poo, but you'd get less spam reporting.
Reporting is already limited to people with plat, and you can only report five times a day. I doubt the system could be changed anyway, because radium.

I'd also be in favor of Koalas March as D&D mod provided she actually wants it. Given the way PPJ talks about moderating the Trump thread, I don't think she'd like having that foisted on her.

EDIT:

exmarx posted:

bring back xylojw
Where'd Xylo go anyway?

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 17, 2018

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

goethe.cx posted:

I like evilweasel's posts but he used to be a mod some time ago and was, well, controversial

I remember it. We all go nuts from time to time and we are all especially nuts now. Stress trends to do that.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
Raskolnikov38 or KM both have my vote, for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

i'd vote against km, splitting mod duties between two forums is almost always a bad idea. c-spam has like two mods and three iks or w/e and none of them are modding D&D, for example.
e: grs probably isn't that busy so KM could probably do it without issue, now that I think about it.

Another suggestion, what about Greyjoy? He seems alright.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 17, 2018

• Locked thread