Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Play posted:

DVOA is an extremely stupid way to measure this imo. Say you've got a really good team in a tough division, they are going to look like easy pickings even if they're not. Same goes the other way for teams that are in bad divisions. The Patriots have had one of the easiest schedules so far and their schedule will continue to be insanely easy for the rest of the season.

The pats have not had one of the easiest schedules by any metric, and I don't follow how DVOA is going to underrate good teams in hard divisions vs mediocre teams in easy.

For example, the AFC West, who most would probably agree is the best division in football had the 1st, 5th and 13th ranked teams as of last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Grittybeard posted:

I mean to be fair whoever wins the job you could probably us an upgrade at #2.

Cassius Marsh is the only 49ers edge rusher and their 3 straight years on d line picks have produced one viable starter. There are no WR1s anywhere near this roster. The DBs outside of Sherman are a mess.

Niners problems run deep and a second quarterback at 2 ain't gonna fix them.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Kalli posted:

The pats have not had one of the easiest schedules by any metric, and I don't follow how DVOA is going to underrate good teams in hard divisions vs mediocre teams in easy.

For example, the AFC West, who most would probably agree is the best division in football had the 1st, 5th and 13th ranked teams as of last week.

The tweet specifically said the Patriots through yesterday had one of the hardest schedules, not sure what Play is talking about

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

Cassius Marsh is the only 49ers edge rusher and their 3 straight years on d line picks have produced one viable starter. There are no WR1s anywhere near this roster. The DBs outside of Sherman are a mess.

Niners problems run deep and a second quarterback at 2 ain't gonna fix them.

Apparently we need to start actually using that sarcasm font so that you wouldn't think I was saying you should use your possibly top 5 2019 NFL draft pick on a backup quarterback upgrade.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 22, 2018

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Cowboys suck and are bad, and dumb.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Ah, god dammit, can a mod help fix the typo in my new av?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The Cowboys suck and are bad, and dumb.

but are still on pace for 8-8 :yeshaha:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
lol

https://twitter.com/_EmilyLara/status/1054481977758208000

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

indigi posted:

honestly if I were Kyle Shanahan I'd think real hard about taking a QB if I'm in the top two

e: the guy you have at the quarterback position is the most important player on the field in the national football league

Not this year

Imagine taking Drew Lock when you already have Jimmy G

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

The Glumslinger posted:

Ah, god dammit, can a mod help fix the typo in my new av?

Queued the Fix.

Just to confirm you want it:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It'd be kind of funny if this turned into one of those years with no great rookie QB at the top and no other truly dominant player and everyone in the top 5 is trying to trade down with no takers.

Man was the 2013 draft funny.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1054489372974813191

Bright Wanderer
Oct 22, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Does anyone feel like this season just feels... bland? I dunno, just no super stars, no real exciting plays or big games. Just a bunch of middle of the pack teams that can win or lose any one game and a bunch of samey same crap. Football just feels... fake. But maybe it's just me.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Athanatos posted:

Queued the Fix.

Just to confirm you want it:

Yeah, thanks

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Bright Wanderer posted:

Does anyone feel like this season just feels... bland? I dunno, just no super stars, no real exciting plays or big games. Just a bunch of middle of the pack teams that can win or lose any one game and a bunch of samey same crap. Football just feels... fake. But maybe it's just me.

Watch more Chiefs games?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Bright Wanderer posted:

Watch more Rams and Chiefs games

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Bright Wanderer posted:

I mean of course football is fake, SBLI confirmed as much, but there have been a bajillion points scored already and football is actually v fun to watch again. Unless you are like a fan of the Bills or Titans.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Bright Wanderer posted:

I disagree. The prime time games are actually pretty good and entertaining this year. The Chiefs and Rams are doing fun things. Lots of OT games. I think it's been better than the past couple.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/profootballtalk/status/1054489270772289536?s=21

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Grittybeard posted:

Apparently we need to start actually using that sarcasm font so that you wouldn't think I was saying you should use your possibly top 5 2019 NFL draft pick on a backup quarterback upgrade.

I wasnt concerned about what you were saying so much as what indigi was saying

Bright Wanderer
Oct 22, 2018

by R. Dieovich

Athanatos posted:

Watch more Chiefs games?

I'll admit they're a bright spot and Patrick Mahomes has been doing well. Still the only game I saw of them was against the Patriots. Needless to say, I was less than impressed.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1054490689621409793?s=21

rip

Bright Wanderer
Oct 22, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I haven't seen many Rams games either. Maybe I've just been watching all the crap teams. Still the line play seems extra sloppy this year and the new QB rule makes the defenses seem soft.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Bright Wanderer posted:

I'll admit they're a bright spot and Patrick Mahomes has been doing well. Still the only game I saw of them was against the Patriots. Needless to say, I was less than impressed.

Have you heard of the Los Angeles Rams because Todd Gurley is currently steamrolling the entire league

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Get Redzone

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Grittybeard posted:

I think the FO party line would be that opponent adjustments are theoretically supposed to take care of this.

I have no real opinion here but if they worked correctly and DVOA was actually the best way to measure things it would make sense. Well I do have an opinion after thinking about it. They don't work correctly and DVOA isn't the actual best way to do this. But it's probably not the worst either.

I agree with this, but consider, for example, the fact that the AFC East is garbage and the AFC South is also garbage, yet teams in that division have gotten wins against each other because, well, someone has to win those games. Those two divisions, the worst two in football maybe, accounts for 10/16 games on the Patriots schedule. I have no idea how that could possible be seen as difficult.

At the end of the season DVOA might be a decent way to retroactively measure schedule difficulty, but in week 7 it has more to do with how bad your opponents have been and who you've played so far rather than how good your team actually is.

Kalli posted:

Teams are compared to the overall offensive average to get DVOA numbers, but the fact that every team doesn't play every other team means that using the measurement for strength of schedule doesn't work. Chicago has a couple big wins against awful teams (the Packers were the only decent team they've played before the Patriots) and so they are first in defense DVOA, making the Pats victory against them seem like an enormous win (and raising the Pats supposed strength of schedule).

But are the Bears really the best defense in football? Or have they just been lucky to play the Seahawks, Cardinals, Buccaneers and Dolphins? I think it's more the second than the first, their defense looks so good because they have played some seriously hosed up offenses.

I'm much, much more inclined to go with preseason strength of schedule based on last year's wins, which measures the Patriots as one of the easier schedules in the league. Basically DVOA isn't accurate in week 7 and can't be totally accurate without every single team having played every other team.

Any team in the league would be ecstatic to play the Bills, Dolphins and Jets six times a year. And four more games against a super crappy AFC South. So I don't really buy it personally, to me it looks like a pretty drat sweet schedule

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Bright Wanderer posted:

I haven't seen many Rams games either. Maybe I've just been watching all the crap teams. Still the line play seems extra sloppy this year and the new QB rule makes the defenses seem soft.

The Lions' offensive line is both cool and good :colbert:

E: Case in point:

https://twitter.com/OmarKelly/status/1054188366319796224

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 22, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
New England should straight up sweep their division plus the AFC south, which is ten wins right there . All those teams have been bad for a while and remain bad because by the time they fix one side of the ball the other side falls apart (e.g. Houston getting a qb in time to have the defense crumble)

Bright Wanderer
Oct 22, 2018

by R. Dieovich

Yeah I wish.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

You could always hit up the redzone stream on reddit.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Picture of Drake saying no -> a fourth round pick for Josh Gordon
Picture of Drake saying yes please -> a first round pick for a receiver who just got a concussion and averages 40 yards per game.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

The Bills are fun as hell to watch. They’re either going to end up being a trap game and upset the gently caress out of someone or trot out Nathan Peterman and you play the game of ‘take a shot for every interception and hope you don’t die’.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The Lions' offensive line is both cool and good :colbert:

E: Case in point:

https://twitter.com/OmarKelly/status/1054188366319796224

Frank Ragnow is going to be really loving good. That guy is a pretty solid run defender he buries on that one.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Play posted:

I'm much, much more inclined to go with preseason strength of schedule based on last year's wins, which measures the Patriots as one of the easier schedules in the league.

Any team in the league would be ecstatic to play the Bills, Dolphins and Jets six times a year. And four more games against a super crappy AFC South. So I don't really buy it personally, to me it looks like a pretty drat sweet schedule
Would it be that different? SOS based on 2017 would rate the Jags and Lions somewhat highly and probably underrate the Chiefs a little bit

Yeah DVOA takes a while to converge but I can’t see how using last year’s records is any better in a sport where so much (outside of Foxboro) changes year to year. But anyone who has already played the Chiefs hasn’t had an easy schedule so far

Bright Wanderer
Oct 22, 2018

by R. Dieovich

weird Asian candy posted:

You could always hit up the redzone stream on reddit.

That's probably a good idea. gently caress the NFL for being stuck in the dark ages with streaming TV.

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

Is that a pie in your pocket?

Bright Wanderer posted:

That's probably a good idea. gently caress the NFL for being stuck in the dark ages with streaming TV.

DAZN has a 1 month free trial you can opt out of before they take your first months payment (it is also month to month if you just want to use it for football and cancel your sub whenever).

I've been trying it out the last few weeks and it seems to work pretty well, it's nice being able to come home after a game is done and re-watch it while fast forwarding through commercials.

I'll probably keep it for the remainder of the NFL season and cancel my subscription closer to Feb/March. Good alternative to trying to find a reliable stream online.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

New England should straight up sweep their division plus the AFC south, which is ten wins right there . All those teams have been bad for a while and remain bad because by the time they fix one side of the ball the other side falls apart (e.g. Houston getting a qb in time to have the defense crumble)

And even then Houston is squandering their QB because their offensive line can't block to save their lives.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Lol

@JasonLaCanfora: RT @CBSSports: According to @SportsLine, the Cowboys trading for Amari Cooper has a 0.0% increase on Dallas' playoff probability....

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

0.0%. The same odds RG3 has at successfully embedding a tweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
sounds about right

• Locked thread