Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Yahoo Sports: As Raiders sink, a brilliant website has emerged counting down Jon Gruden's tenure.
https://sports.yahoo.com/raiders-sink-brilliant-website-emerged-counting-jon-grudens-tenure-213935335.html

The Jon Gruden honeymoon may not be over yet following the Oakland Raiders’ 1-5 start, but it’s safe to say some fans have put the marriage on the clock.

Literally.

An anonymous internet soul or group has rocketed into the ranks of some historically savage NFL fans, creating a simple – but remarkably ruthless – countdown clock of Gruden’s remaining 10-year deal with the Raiders. Registered and created on Oct. 10 (which was before Sunday’s meltdown against the Seattle Seahawks) the tick-tocking platform is a straightforward page with a blunt domain name: isgrudengoneyet.com.

Jon Gruden has a lot of work to do in overcoming a 1-5 start with the Raiders. (AP)

It features only four bits of information:

1. A title: “Is Gruden gone yet?”

2. A giant, capitalized answer: “NO”

3. A clock that is mercilessly timing out, counting down what is presumed to be the number of years, weeks, days, hours, minutes and seconds (!) of Gruden’s contract in Oakland.

4. And for good measure, it includes a salary tracker that calculates: the amount of money Gruden has theoretically banked from the Raiders; the amount of money he’s still theoretically owed; and the amount of money he has theoretically earned in the precise amount of time a visitor has been on the web page.

As fan trolling goes, it gets high marks for simplistic entertainment value. It’s not the age-old taunt of showing up to games wearing a grocery bag on your head. Nor is it the brutally invasive approach of flying a banner over a stadium or paying for freeway signage near the team’s headquarters. But in the digital age, it’s effective because it provides the few pieces of information that were destined to follow Gruden the rest of his coaching life – whether he succeeded or failed in Oakland.

That crazy length of his contract (which he has sort of denied). That jaw-dropping $100 million salary figure (which he has also sort of denied). And the one question that will either define his failure, or serve as an opportunity for him to fire back at critics through some smirking success:

Is Jon Gruden gone yet? Nope. He’s here for the long-haul.

But so are those who will be watching his every move and calculating the exact price the Raiders have paid, right down to the pennies spent and seconds invested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

We're famous guys 😂

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Azhais posted:

Only had like 5k hits yesterday, so it's not exactly getting swarmed. We'll see how it goes with a Yahoo article.

And I'm in no way motivated enough to figure out how to put an ad on it

No it's better like this. More mystery. We can sit back and laugh at these fools,, knowing ourselves to be the shadowy figures behind the viral hit isgrudengoneyet.com

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Fat Jesus posted:

this all started with me asking if they were stuck with Gruden for 10 years?

Yes and then I asked someone to let me know every time the end of Gruden's reign became fractionally closer. And the rest, as they say, is internet history :smug: we're famous bro I'm starting a youtube channel as "the man who inspired isgrudengoneyet.com"

sean10mm posted:

Theoretically the offensive coaching got better on the Titans, but everything else on offense is a tire fire. Their receiver corps is dire, their one good TE is dead, the running backs barely break 3 YPC and the OL has backslid massively.

That doesn't mean Mariota is a secret superstar, but the Titans are in such bad shape as a whole on offense that I dunno how you'd even tell either way.

I don't know, even with adjusting to new head coaches and new offensive schemes, you don't see the progression that you would hope for from Mariota. The only year he ever really played well was when Mularkey created a spread/college style offense for him. He hasn't been able to adjust to a pro offense at all. I know he's been injured since the start this season, and also that the offense as a whole is a lovely. I'm a big Mariota fan overall but I'm starting to have some serious doubts that he should be the guy there going forward.

yes, stick the lips together just like that. for the cameras. i have seen this on tv. this is what happens between man and woman

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I assume that they saw an opportunity to fleece Jacksonville because they're desperate for RBs, but we'll have to see the particulars of the deal first. As someone mentioned Hyde carries a pretty sizable contract so maybe that's what this trade was about.

I've been totally baffled at why Hyde was getting so many carries and Chubb so few, and wondering when that was finally going to change. Certainly didn't expect it to be this dramatic, I thought they'd just switch the touch count around or easy Chubb into it. Turns out they're going all in on Chubb, I'm pretty okay with that. His production so far won't be matched of course, but I do think he has more of the physical tools you want than Hyde does.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

I mean it's hard other than like, young Adrian Peterson or possibly Todd Gurley (or various all time greats obviously) to have more tools than Chubb has. I'll buy into the idea that he has no idea what he's doing in pass protection, but man they just never played a ridiculous talent up until now.

e: I'm apparently a lot higher on Chubb than scouts were after looking pre-draft stuff up.

What I meant by "his production won't be matched" is that his 13+ yards per carry and absurd yards after contact would slow down a lot when he's being used regularly. His two awesome touchdown runs (out of three runs total that day) shot his averages up to the moon. I love him though. A little bowling ball of a man who is much quicker and has a much better cut than you would expect. Very good after contact and good vision. I thought Michel was the more agile of the two Georgia backs but actually he has looked stiff where Chubb looks lively.

He's probably never going to be super great at pass protection, but most backs never are anyways.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

sharknado slashfic posted:

I wonder at what point I'm going to snap and develop an eye twitch everytime I see/hear the name "Pat Mahomes" they way I do with Brady and did with Peyton.

Hopefully the Chiefs keep Chiefing so that I can appreciate the awesome things Mahomes can do without resenting him for sucking all the oxygen out of the rest of the NFL.

Fire Safety Doug posted:

David Bakhtiari was on the Thomahawk podcast and went on about how Rodgers is the smartest and most well read guy you’ll ever meet and how he likes... conspiracy theories. :geno:

lol. Football teams in general are a fertile ground for a lot of crazy ideas. When you devote so much of your life to a game there's not a ton of time or energy available to learn how the world outside of football works

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The only thing Melvin Gordon did to me is bring his floppy, imprecise, unaesthetic method of rushing to the NFL and then run up the middle for no gain a bajillion times

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Big Jay Cutler posted:

Uh lmao did you have him in fantasy? Cause my main competition this year has the Gordon/Rivers combo and I’m lucky they’re on a bye next week. But I mean running isn’t necessarily a mental game sans emotion and adrenaline, if anything being floppy is good in distributing the impact of tackles and keeping forward momentum rolling forward momentously

I don't hate him or anything there's just something I never liked about his running style. Very little footwork and can't really cut that well, but you're right that the way he flops around when contacted tends to get him a bit of extra progress. It's a lot better this season now that they're testing the edges with him instead of just running up the middle. 2015 through 2017 he averaged less than four yards per carry and yet last year he still broke 1,000 yards just by virtue of so many attempts.

This season he's averaging 5.1ypc so there has really been massive progress there. For a while it was pretty painful to watch

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I'm not worried about the Chargers at all, they are looking pretty rock solid at the moment. They just had the bad luck of playing the Chiefs and the Rams early in the season, dropped those games against almost the best two teams in the NFL, but since then they've been handling business. I don't think Gordon is going to have a huge effect on that for now and the Chargers should be just fine against the Titans.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Nodoze posted:

Health is not a skill

You're right but avoiding injury could be a skill. If you tackle well, are careful with how you plant your feet, avoid contact however you have to etc. etc.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Barudak posted:

Reid called Jenkins a "Neo-Colonialist" and welp Reid just shot up my power rankings

More of this kind of post-game interview please. Vicious burns and revolutionary politics

Play
Apr 25, 2006

iospace posted:

Question, I haven't been able to catch any Romo broadcasts this year, but does he still got it?

I was never quite as big on him as others, but he's still good, pretty much just like last year. Occasionally he gets way too fixated on some little thing and he often sounds like he's extremely high or, as one poster put it yesterday, he sounds like he's constantly edging

Play
Apr 25, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

HERE'S WHY PATRICK PETERSON IS THE PERFECT CANDIDATE FOR {MY_TEAM}, {MY_TEAM'S_GM} YOU HAD BETTER GO GET HIM

i agree with this man

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Professor Funk posted:

Has Peterson shown any signs of decline yet? He's going to be 29 next year, and I feel like you really notice when CBs lose a step (see Revis, Darrelle in 2016).

Not in my opinion. I think he's got, at the least, one last big contract of excellent play in him.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

V: yawn

Play
Apr 25, 2006

A first is insane. But I think the rumors that Garrett is on thin ice are true. This definitely seems like a desperation move that Garrett tried to make happen as a last-ditch effort to save the season and, by extension, his job. I realize Jerry had to approve but who knows whose idea it was in the first place.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Three picks.

Does anyone know what Cooper's contract situation is like, how much and for how many years? Maybe the first was because the contract is favorable

Play
Apr 25, 2006

weird Asian candy posted:

I think we all know Jason Garrett has no original thoughts and this was all Jerry.

I'm not sure a desperation trade of a mediocre WR to save an already lost season is actually "original", but you do have a point.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Steve Wilks just called it ridiculous so what Peterson's cousin has to say really doesn't come into it much. Although it would be rad to see him on the Saints

Play
Apr 25, 2006

It's also not great for Cooper, who will forever be judged in Dallas against the first round pick that was sacrificed for him and all the theoretical players that pick could've garnered. A second or a third brings much less pressure and expectations with it

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kalli posted:

:yeshaha:

https://twitter.com/FO_ASchatz/status/1054468173259567105

4th hardest schedule to easiest remaining, finally things are breaking the Patriots' way. :dealwithit:

DVOA is an extremely stupid way to measure this imo. Say you've got a really good team in a tough division, they are going to look like easy pickings even if they're not. Same goes the other way for teams that are in bad divisions. The Patriots have had one of the easiest schedules so far and their schedule will continue to be insanely easy for the rest of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

I think the FO party line would be that opponent adjustments are theoretically supposed to take care of this.

I have no real opinion here but if they worked correctly and DVOA was actually the best way to measure things it would make sense. Well I do have an opinion after thinking about it. They don't work correctly and DVOA isn't the actual best way to do this. But it's probably not the worst either.

I agree with this, but consider, for example, the fact that the AFC East is garbage and the AFC South is also garbage, yet teams in that division have gotten wins against each other because, well, someone has to win those games. Those two divisions, the worst two in football maybe, accounts for 10/16 games on the Patriots schedule. I have no idea how that could possible be seen as difficult.

At the end of the season DVOA might be a decent way to retroactively measure schedule difficulty, but in week 7 it has more to do with how bad your opponents have been and who you've played so far rather than how good your team actually is.

Kalli posted:

The pats have not had one of the easiest schedules by any metric, and I don't follow how DVOA is going to underrate good teams in hard divisions vs mediocre teams in easy.

For example, the AFC West, who most would probably agree is the best division in football had the 1st, 5th and 13th ranked teams as of last week.

Teams are compared to the overall offensive average to get DVOA numbers, but the fact that every team doesn't play every other team means that using the measurement for strength of schedule doesn't work. Chicago has a couple big wins against awful teams (the Packers were the only decent team they've played before the Patriots) and so they are first in defense DVOA, making the Pats victory against them seem like an enormous win (and raising the Pats supposed strength of schedule).

But are the Bears really the best defense in football? Or have they just been lucky to play the Seahawks, Cardinals, Buccaneers and Dolphins? I think it's more the second than the first, their defense looks so good because they have played some seriously hosed up offenses.

I'm much, much more inclined to go with preseason strength of schedule based on last year's wins, which measures the Patriots as one of the easier schedules in the league. Basically DVOA isn't accurate in week 7 and can't be totally accurate without every single team having played every other team.

Any team in the league would be ecstatic to play the Bills, Dolphins and Jets six times a year. And four more games against a super crappy AFC South. So I don't really buy it personally, to me it looks like a pretty drat sweet schedule

• Locked thread