Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

The MISSING: J.J Macfield and the Island of Memories is the latest game from SWERY and his new studio at White Owls. It was announced out of literal nowhere in late August of 2018, and was given a release date just a month later. And here, less than a month after that, it is finally out, on October 12th, 2018! Just in time for Halloween. And what a spooky game it is! As you might expect from SWERY, it is STRANGE.

Strange, sure, but what kind of game IS it?
It's a platformer not unlike Limbo. You run and duck and get killed and killed again by a myriad of death traps all over the place. Except it has a twist, that makes all the difference. You see, the titular J.J MacField has a leg up on all the competition. Though perhaps not one to stand on. You see, J.J is immortal, almost. As long as J.J's head isn't atomized, she can regenerate from any injury. And you will need this ability to progress, through puzzle-solving or just plain sending her body flying to the next location.

That is strange! But, is the story really THAT strange?

Oh, it absolutely is! It's a heady cocktail of purestrain Twin Peaks and SWERY's own brand of strangeness. The story is rather simple: While on a romantic camping trip to a remote island with her girlfriend Emily, J.J falls asleep. All well and good, but when she awakens, Emily is gone. Naturally, she decides to look for Emily. Things do not go well from there. The simpleness of premise belies the well-honed insanity that SWERY loves. The plot primarily is told through the cell phone messages that led up to the ill-fated camping trip, as well as a secondary set of text messages between JJ and her other friends, which are unlocked by collecting the game's collectibles... Donuts!

Okay, so it's a platformer with a plot. Is it any good?

It's loving fantastic, from personal experience. I didn't just steal Mother 3's tagline for no good reason. That's exactly how I'd describe the game. It revels in its dark humor and charming characters. It's amazing what can be done with just the smart phone's text messages. I had a blast, and am going to play it again already. It just got me that good.

Trailers:
Debut Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wo3TmI1VwE

Launch Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SJkcGgSyMo

Switch Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJENufTKOWQ

Screenshots:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I haven't posted one of these topics before so I'm up for tips on what I should do for it. But there wasn't a topic on this wonderful game so I felt like I should fix that. Has anyone else gotten a chance to play it yet?

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
The Game Is Good and convincing people to play it without actually going into spoilers is going to suck! (Unless they just really like puzzle platformers I guess).

But also yeah it can't be overstated: the texts rule

Cheap Diner Coffee fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Oct 16, 2018

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

The Game Is Good and convincing people to play it without actually going into spoilers is going to suck! (Unless they just really like puzzle platformers I guess).

Yeah, every single word of this is true. I did my best to avoid spoilers because the actual story is best unspoiled.

And you aren't wrong about the texts. They are the best part.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

I just beat it and this is totally right. A friend of mine convinced me without spoilers but I also them to have good taste and I trust SWERY with my life so I wasn't disappointed.

I also really...REALLY need the messenger stickers.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

BaDandy posted:

I just beat it and this is totally right. A friend of mine convinced me without spoilers but I also them to have good taste and I trust SWERY with my life so I wasn't disappointed.

I also really...REALLY need the messenger stickers.

We all need the messenger stickers. Thankfully, someone ripped them from the game! So enjoy them!

https://imgur.com/a/1WB63R1

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I’m liking this so far but drat, the pain factor is making me cringe. Hope JJ brought some Advil on this camping trip, because it’s ten minutes in and she is already getting hosed up.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Do I need all of these donuts for the True Ending or do they just unlock bonus stuff?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Vengarr posted:

Do I need all of these donuts for the True Ending or do they just unlock bonus stuff?

They unlock additional text messages, concept art, and the costumes. So not strictly necessary, except the text messages are the best.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
This game is fantastic.

The characters, while mostly explored through text messages, feel more real than in any other game I've played. J. J.'s story was executed very well and is likely to stick with me for a long time, I feel. It's just that good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finished this over the weekend, probably the best game I've played this year.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Finished this over the weekend, probably the best game I've played this year.

Yeah, agreed entirely. My immediately reaction was 'Game of the Year'.

My trans friend who was watching me play said it really helped them feel better as a person. Which just redoubles my feeling that it is a truly amazing game.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
SWERY is good, this game is good and people who want Good Things should buy it.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
Just beat the game, one of the best of the year.

There's something about Swery's stuff that just feels so human despite being so weird. The story pretty much confirms Swery for "Good Dude"

ending spoilers
"Clear as a crisp spring morning" made me grin, along with FK not actually being a villain for once

Mega-ultra-don't-read-spoilers (although, I had it spoiled and honestly was pretty ok with it.)
So, was Emily a trans-woman too? I'm assuming that's what her big secret was. FK's line about it being a story of regeneration really kind of made gross gameplay worth it. And the moose doctor kind was a neat twist too. I kind of thought he was the therapist. Anyways, despite having to redo the last section over a few times I really enjoyed it.

9/10 game, could use better checkpoints though.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Major spoiler talk below:

Valliantstu posted:

Mega-ultra-don't-read-spoilers (although, I had it spoiled and honestly was pretty ok with it.)

Nah, she wasn't. The Emily in the dream was actually JJ's own feelings. When she talked about her secret and telling her mother, and her mother being confused, it was actually JJ talking about talking to her mother. It's why she kept saying I'M JACKIE JAMESON.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
This game was fantastic and probably one of the most thematically strong games I've ever played.

SWERY's my guy and this just solidified it even harder.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Kchama posted:

Major spoiler talk below:

Nah, she wasn't. The Emily in the dream was actually JJ's own feelings. When she talked about her secret and telling her mother, and her mother being confused, it was actually JJ talking about talking to her mother. It's why she kept saying I'M JACKIE JAMESON.

Yes, this is exactly what I thought. On the 2nd playthrough, I read dream Emily’s voice as another aspect of JJ and it made complete sense.

I beat the game a few times and it is spectacular. I agree that sometimes the checkpoints can be a bit sparse on the first playthrough but it’s not impossible. Can’t bring myself to try to solve some of the donut puzzles though - spent too much time on them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wish chapter select told you how many donuts I'd missed in each...

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

If you are replaying the game then (MAJOR SPOILER) you should change the character in the cheats menu and play again from the start. EVERY LINE is voiced. Swery went all out.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

el dorito posted:

Yes, this is exactly what I thought. On the 2nd playthrough, I read dream Emily’s voice as another aspect of JJ and it made complete sense.

I beat the game a few times and it is spectacular. I agree that sometimes the checkpoints can be a bit sparse on the first playthrough but it’s not impossible. Can’t bring myself to try to solve some of the donut puzzles though - spent too much time on them.

Thankfully the cheat codes that NG+ gives you makes hunting them a lot easier. ... I'm still short like 7.

And I have however many secret collectibles left.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anyone know what the secret texts from FK mentioned in the achievements are and how you get them?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I've not played this game yet but I see Swery being upset on twitter because the publisher hosed up the European release by google-translating the game's title into a dozen different things that aren't The Missing. What a shitshow.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hah I just now realised it never showed up on the PSN 'new releases' section, I had to search for it when I bought it day one but thought they were just being slow adding it. :(

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I've not played this game yet but I see Swery being upset on twitter because the publisher hosed up the European release by google-translating the game's title into a dozen different things that aren't The Missing. What a shitshow.

To be fair to ArcSystemsWorks, this prolly wasn't them. According to the twitter chain, Sony actually will randomly translate the titles to games for the store for some reason. And whoever they get to do it is awful.

Sakurazuka posted:

Anyone know what the secret texts from FK mentioned in the achievements are and how you get them?

NG+ has a new collectible, the FK Doll. They're actually not nearly as hidden or as numerous as donuts. If you ever got to a spot that seemed like it took a lot of effort for nothing to be there in your first play through, then that was probably an FK Doll spot for NG+.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Omg THAT was the reason it was delayed?

Truly there's no rest for devs.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

So apparently I cant get this yet???

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

So apparently I cant get this yet???

It's on Steam and PS4 in EU, I think Switch is the only system it's delayed completely on. No idea about Xbox though.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Here is the tweet that links to the post regarding how the game can be found on PS4

https://twitter.com/swery65/status/1053221985424162818

as in - you need to use a specific name to find the game in another language’s store since the translation was all over the place

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I've only just started but considering her stuffed rabbit was apparently named F.K. I don't think that can lead anywhere good.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Get all of the donuts for very cute and sweet pictures.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

It's on Steam and PS4 in EU, I think Switch is the only system it's delayed completely on. No idea about Xbox though.

Yeah Im gonna get it on switch

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I didn't really like D4, but Deadly Premonition was pretty interesting. Is this much like either of those or is SWERY branching out to try something new (in a thematic sense, obviously)?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Cuntellectual posted:

I didn't really like D4, but Deadly Premonition was pretty interesting. Is this much like either of those or is SWERY branching out to try something new (in a thematic sense, obviously)?
The latter, its more serious than most of DP and especially D4. There is some really good humor with the text messages and emotes, but it doesn't really have the other two's inherent goofiness.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 20, 2018

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Cuntellectual posted:

This is a way more focused game more similar to Limbo and the gameplay is more involved and integrated into the story. It's still a SWERY game, though, so it's got those nice Deadly Premonition vibes but the story is something a little different (and really good).

edit: Deadly Premonition vibes as in the surrealness and not really the goofiness.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Quick question on some donuts I can't figure out how to get. I'm in the chapter with the cymbal monkeys in what looks like an under construction tunnel, with a light/darkness gimmick. There looks to be a sleepy donuts man under some rubble that I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get, and I've scoured this level up and down. Anyone know how to get it?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Use your head.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Accordion Man posted:

Use your head.

And of course, with the magic of the forums, I figure it out 5 seconds after I post about it.

Loving this game so far, already looking forward to my 2nd playthrough to find all the donuts

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Just beat it, not ashamed to admit I shed a few tears at the ending. Swery knocked it out of the park this time, I'm hoping this sells well so we can see many more games from him

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

He’s making another game called The Good Life. Mega64 actually did some ads for it, it’s nuts.

Be sure to watch all three ads if this is your jam. It gets better. Here’s the first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQVOyPJb9jI

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I will openly admit I was crying like a baby during the finale.

By the way it should surprise nobody that I backed The Good Life.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 9, 2018