Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play "Sneak King"

Sneak King is one in a trilogy of Burger King themed games used to promote the restaurant and its mascot the king. The original idea behind Sneak King and its sisters was to sell them on Xbox Live Arcade, but Burger King deemed the games so high quality that Sneak King and its sisters were sold in actual Burger King stores. Ignoring the fact that Burger King seems to have misunderstood the point of Xbox Live Arcade, their decision was a good move, as it led to a significant increase in sales, and even allowed the developer of the games -Blitz Games- to fund a new division of their company.

About Sneak King

Sneak King is the most famous of the three Burger King games, and it was apparently the one most closely monitored by Burger King. The game went through several changes over the course of its development, but the end result is quite something. To describe it in the simplest fashion possible: Imagine an arcade cabinet. Now imagine what a stealth game might look like if it had to fit within the expectations and confines of an arcade cabinet and the design implications thereof. Basically what I'm saying is that the game is a score-based, arcadey take on stealth games, and is by no means meant to compete with the giants of the stealth genre. Hell, it's not even remotely aiming for the same goal.

Aside from the core design being surprisingly solid, the thing that impressed me most about Sneak King is that it's seemingly the anti-thesis of its developer: Blitz Games. If there is one consistent complaint I had about Blitz Games, it was that their titles were absolutely horrendous at exploring their game mechanics in any meaningful fashion. Creature From the Krusty Krab, TAZ: Wanted, the Fairly Odd-Parents games, Pac-Man World 3... the list goes on. Blitz Games produced titles with witty dialogue, great music, and incredible creativity, but they absolutely sucked at using the basic game mechanics to their maximum potential.

However, either Sneak King's limitations forced Blitz Games to change their design philosophy, or they simply already had it in them and I just didn't know it, because Sneak King is the definition of exploring a basic set of mechanics to its fullest potential. It reminds me a lot of Japanese budget games in that way, such as the Simple Series on PS2, and that's not something to be ashamed of.

About the LP

We're going to be completing all 80 challenges the game offers. In the spirit of the game -and just because it's fun- I'll be doing my best to get good scores, though I won't stress over it excessively. The game can be quite challenging, even when you aren't trying to obtain those delicious A-Ranks. Hope you're ready for an experience.

Videos
1. Yes, I take the design seriously.

2. Spider-Man

3. Burger of Everlasting Life

4. I love you guys

5. Puzzle-Solving Bitch

6. Reverse Reversology

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I absolutely don't know why this reminds me of those old Harry Potter pc games and Deadly Premonition. Except there's no plot like those two games. They made an entire game of this. I had no idea.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
These people have perfectly normal reactions to a delivery guy in a suit.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

value-brand cereal posted:

I absolutely don't know why this reminds me of those old Harry Potter pc games and Deadly Premonition. Except there's no plot like those two games. They made an entire game of this. I had no idea.

Maybe the graphics?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

2. Spider-Man

I don't have a one-liner to put here, I just like the game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It doesn't look so bad in the graphics area.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

3. Burger of Everlasting Life

sneak king is safe from any bad

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Mcrib is available right now, so it isn't really hard to enjoy fast food right now.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

The Mcrib is available right now, so it isn't really hard to enjoy fast food right now.

I prefer the McRib without sauce, but I do wish it were around all year. I think the employees would riot, though.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I have to say, my favorite part of this LP are the quips you have after the end of each mission.

And speaking of limited availability sandwiches, I am very curious to try this venison sandwich Arby seems to be selling only once a year. I missed my chance this year, but I'm determined to get it next year.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

I have to say, my favorite part of this LP are the quips you have after the end of each mission.

And speaking of limited availability sandwiches, I am very curious to try this venison sandwich Arby seems to be selling only once a year. I missed my chance this year, but I'm determined to get it next year.

That sounds like a strange promotion.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The frozen person and/or human statue in the back of ponytail woman's house is really creepy. It's like he(?) was hit with a freeze ray. I get the feeling the people in these houses aren't actually eating the food; they just like having other people do things for them.

As for the game, especially with respect to how it looks, this seems like a well-managed game. LIke all the details are included, and even if it's not stellar, it's competently done. It certainly could use more polish, but has the signs of something that was put together as well as it could be given whatever budget they had.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

GamesAreSupernice posted:

That sounds like a strange promotion.

Which part is strange, the venison part or the once a year deal?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Once upon a time I got the bright idea to play this game via walking on my Xbox's DDR pad. The game ended up several million times better for the effort

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

DeathChicken posted:

Once upon a time I got the bright idea to play this game via walking on my Xbox's DDR pad. The game ended up several million times better for the effort

now do Shrek the Third

Mraagvpeine posted:

Which part is strange, the venison part or the once a year deal?

the once a year part

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

It's not hard to understand why. Since venison is more expensive than their usual meats they likely stockpile it throughout the year and I presume that supply is enough for just one day, but I haven't done any extensive research so take that with a grain of salt.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's not hard to understand why. Since venison is more expensive than their usual meats they likely stockpile it throughout the year and I presume that supply is enough for just one day, but I haven't done any extensive research so take that with a grain of salt.

huh, i never considered it could be that expensive

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

meat will continue meatshortly

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

4. I love you guys

let's plays never die

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I like LPs with a high resolution. 720p sometimes look like garbage.

edit: I am picky about the video quality.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 5, 2019

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

I like LPs with a high resolution. 720p sometimes look like garbage.

I don't remember mentioning anything about resolution, but I think I rendered the video in 1080p.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

5. Puzzle-Solving Bitch

bitches may vary

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Dirty people eat with their gloves on.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

6. Reverse Reversology

i bet you don't even like mayo

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How much was it sold for? It is an awful lot of content if it was $5 and worth $10, while other mascot games go for much higher in the early generations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

How much was it sold for? It is an awful lot of content if it was $5 and worth $10, while other mascot games go for much higher in the early generations.

$3.99 if memory serves correctly.