Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Art by twitter user @Awrysquare. Headers and update banners by fellow goon shadowmar.

Indigo Prophecy (known as Celsius in Europe) is a cinematic interactive drama action-adventure video game developed by Quantic Dream, the soul-bound serfs behind visionary auteur David Cage. Released in 2005, it was met with intense critical acclaim, with reviewers describing it as "forward-looking" and "thoughtful" and many of its highest praises going to the story and execution thereof. The characters were given quite a bit of press as well, being singled out as "endearing". It was eventually remastered in 2015, which is the version we'll be playing for the thread.

Becoming wildly successful, the game spawned an entirely new genre of "movie games", where you play the movies! Successes in that genre can be seen nowadays in the likes of Telltale Games (dead), Supermassive Games (alive) and Quantic Dream itself. Being a cinematic story game, most of its advertised selling points were about the innovation of branching storylines like the infamous choose your own adventure novels. Unadvertised selling points is that the gameplay is just Simon Says.

My name is FutureFriend and today we will be playing David Cage's breakout game Indigo Prophecy. I'm 99% blind on this game, so guiding me throughout Cage's master maze will be ChorpSaway, Madithen and a_raving_loon. The Let's Play itself is done live in front of an audience of just those three knuckleheads. Due to the cinematic nature of the game, we will not be providing cut and uncut commentary like we usually do.

Hey, this OP seems pretty reverent of David Cage? Weren't you one of those funny guys?

I respect David Cage. Much like him, I also produce bad content people somehow like.

Doesn't this game handle mental health and suicide in a tasteless way?

This game deals with suicide and mental health in the dumbest manner possible; a bad phone call will land you in the insane asylum. It's the trashiest garbage and I can't help but find it funny in the same way as cinema classic The Three Stooges (2012).

Are you going to show off all the endings?

leave me alone

1. No Spoilers. This is a blind LP, buddy. If you ain't seen it in the video yet, it ain't worth talking about.

FeyerbrandX shares with us what a classic character of cinema thinks about modern art.

Geemer shows me that I've missed out on a lot of new pokemon

FeyerBrandX proves that videogames and gaming are art.

FeyerBrandX sums up online (the villain, not the experience).

FutureFriend fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

That's cool.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember which option is the right one for the true ending, 'Bob is SEXY' or 'Bob is NICE'.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
David Cage sounds like a discount Tommy Wiseau

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Holy poo poo, I'm excited for this.

Trisask
Jul 29, 2013

FutureFriend posted:

Indigo Prophecy (known as Celsius in Europe)

I want to say that the game is actually called Fahrenheit in Europe, but I don't know if this is intentionally wrong so Futurefriend can call out all the nerds that bring this up (like me).

edit: Turns out idiot nerds like me should probably watch the first 10 seconds of the video before looking the fool, huh?

Trisask fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 16, 2018

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I kind of hate this game in particular, because I remember trying the demo with the opening scene and the whole thing seemed really interesting! It was a really intriguing and promising start back when it was coming out on PS2.

But then I got around to playing the whole game and it was actually very bad and entirely idiotic. Thanks, David Cage.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Trisask posted:

I want to say that the game is actually called Fahrenheit in Europe, but I don't know if this is intentionally wrong so Futurefriend can call out all the nerds that bring this up (like me).

edit: Turns out idiot nerds like me should probably watch the first 10 seconds of the video before looking the fool, huh?

I just came here to laugh at you for falling for that silly trap.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

XavierGenisi posted:

I kind of hate this game in particular, because I remember trying the demo with the opening scene and the whole thing seemed really interesting! It was a really intriguing and promising start back when it was coming out on PS2.

But then I got around to playing the whole game and it was actually very bad and entirely idiotic. Thanks, David Cage.

The opening is legit one of my favorite examples of interactive storytelling in games. The idea of a game where you play everyone involved in a murder investigation - both murderer, cops, and witnesses - experiencing the same scenes from different perspectives, is totally awesome. Then the rest of the game is nothing at all like that. Some day, I will make a game like that myself.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I see the "up next" algorithm is on point as always.

What did you do to deserve this?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

Youtube's suggestion algorithm is based on maximizing view time and years of toxic gaming culture and people willing to make 30+ minutes on hateful topics have led to those suggestions popping up on the feed of anyone YouTube guesses is a male gamer.

On a lighter note, this game is not David Cage's masterpiece, FutureFriend. This is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kFPbhjGoDk

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!

FractalSandwich posted:

There's a submenu for each video in that feed that looks like three vertically-aligned dots when you mouse over the thumbnail. You can click on it, pick "Not interested", then "Tell us why", then "I don't like this video" and "I'm not interested in this channel". Not only does this block the channel from appearing in your feed in the future (as far as I know), but it also probably gives a bit of negative feedback to the algorithm, and that can only help, even if just a little.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

FrankZP posted:

There's a submenu for each video in that feed that looks like three vertically-aligned dots when you mouse over the thumbnail. You can click on it, pick "Not interested", then "Tell us why", then "I don't like this video" and "I'm not interested in this channel". Not only does this block the channel from appearing in your feed in the future (as far as I know), but it also probably gives a bit of negative feedback to the algorithm, and that can only help, even if just a little.
I can confirm this somehow works. It only took me a year to keep doing that enough for them to stop recommending me these exact kind of vids, :wow:

I'm super excited for more of this game, how do you manage to balance so much effort and yet so much shitposting FutureFriend? You're an icon truly.

SimonChris posted:

The opening is legit one of my favorite examples of interactive storytelling in games. The idea of a game where you play everyone involved in a murder investigation - both murderer, cops, and witnesses - experiencing the same scenes from different perspectives, is totally awesome. Then the rest of the game is nothing at all like that. Some day, I will make a game like that myself.
I still really like the CONCEPT of this game, in terms of the detective work and pitting the player as both sides of the investigation. That's really neat and I was very happy that came back in Detroit: Become Human which in my opinion managed to do it better.

Cage's problems are numerous, but occasionally a good idea squeezes out of the festering ooze in his writing.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

The Thread was destroyed,
but hey, what can you do?
This LP's so good I wish it would step on me

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Entry ID: 69 Modified ID: 420

Very nice. I am looking forward to this 'video play-through' of this electronic entertainment!

Also please maintain a piss counter tia

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Once upon a time either the Machinima folks or the people at Rooster Teeth did a really lovely video series that was nothing but repeatedly doing the intro murder from the first release dubbed so the peeing guy was provoking the protagonist to murder him and him going back in time to try and not murder him. I only bring this up because those videos have probably aged like milk and yet are still probably better than any edition of this game.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I've done as asked and isolated "that's cool"

Unfortunately lpix isn't letting me upload my mp3 because its not an mp3 file.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

FractalSandwich posted:

i irony poison myself every day and for my hubris, god has cursed me to have insane tories also associate with it

ishikabibble posted:

Also please maintain a piss counter tia

currently into a mad frenzy to edit my backlog to have this toilet signifier idea in

Hostile V posted:

Once upon a time either the Machinima folks or the people at Rooster Teeth did a really lovely video series that was nothing but repeatedly doing the intro murder from the first release dubbed so the peeing guy was provoking the protagonist to murder him and him going back in time to try and not murder him. I only bring this up because those videos have probably aged like milk and yet are still probably better than any edition of this game.

dont spoil our finale, troll

FeyerbrandX posted:

I've done as asked and isolated "that's cool"

Unfortunately lpix isn't letting me upload my mp3 because its not an mp3 file.

upload it to youtube and become rich off the ad revenue solely gotten by synchtube groups annoying their friends with it

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

FutureFriend posted:

upload it to youtube and become rich off the ad revenue solely gotten by synchtube groups annoying their friends with it

Hi, I'm the one person you don't want to make suggestions like that to. Because I take things literally and put way too much effort into the dumbest of things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH7Lv2V_yo0

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Making mad bank yet?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

that's cool

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I love this game

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Trying to find something that I wanted to post in here. I could have sworn that one of the Quantic Dream games had an intro from a digitized David Cage sitting in what was supposedly a digital version of his office explaining how the game works. As the camera pans around the room is pauses for quite a bit on a shot where the word "EGO" (made up of letters displayed on the shelf at the back of his office) is hovering behind his head. I wanted to find a video of this but youtube is failing me. I thought it was from Heavy Rain but... can't find it.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Yeah that's Heavy Rain, his character was supposed to be a therapist.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That's a really good art. Good work, Awrysquare.

Anyway, this is a good game to be blind on.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

David D. Davidson posted:

Yeah that's Heavy Rain, his character was supposed to be a therapist.

"'Id' and 'Ego' are 'psychology' words, right?"
"Yes, Mister Cage-"
"Put those around my office - ooh, 'ego' sounds fancy, put it over my head!"
"But Mister Cage-"
"DO IT!"
" ... Yes, Mister Cage."

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

LashLightning posted:

"'Id' and 'Ego' are 'psychology' words, right?"
"Yes, Mister Cage-"
"Put those around my office - ooh, 'ego' sounds fancy, put it over my head!"
"But Mister Cage-"
"DO IT!"
" ... Yes, Mister Cage."
yeah i thought that was weird too but he really is just that much a narcissist huh

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Personally I always imagined it was something the entire team snuck in without him noticing the significance of.

Oh yeah, there's an LP here that I should comment on.

Did you know it's possible to get all the way to the end of this game then suddenly have a character that's central to the plot show up, that you've never run into before, and become very very confused?

That was my first run of the game. Spent the entire final level involuntarily repeating the word "what".

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 18, 2018

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FutureFriend posted:

Hey, this OP seems pretty reverent of David Cage? Weren't you one of those funny guys?

I respect David Cage. Much like him, I also produce bad content people somehow like.
I enjoy your LPs and I'm as happy about this one like a pig in poo poo (the poo poo is your videos)

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

poo poo is stored in the toilet

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
So would this subforum or youtube be the toilet in this metaphor?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The subforum is the gross stall with all the writing on the walls/door and the busted lock that only works half the time. Youtube is the toilet with an unspeakable evil inside it, a broken seat that slides around and has a pool of mystery water around it.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

we find more toilets in this update

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

The Thread was destroyed,
but hey, what can you do?
Quick thinking of Lucas to say there was a dog in the room. I would have said that the door leads to a blind drop off the side of building

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Does David Cage know what a massacre is? You know, since massacres tend to involve more than one death. It's either that or a commentary on the media reporting everything as worse than it actually is. I'm going to go with the former.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Epicmissingno posted:

Does David Cage know what a massacre is? You know, since massacres tend to involve more than one death. It's either that or a commentary on the media reporting everything as worse than it actually is. I'm going to go with the former.

describing a grisly murder scene as "a massacre" is perfectly cromulent. hell, ill say it, use it to describe any murder

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

The biggest massacre in this game so far is David Cage's epic takedown of the police, and how they'll give up any investigation under threat of large scared dog.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Imagine if you lost "health" any time you tried to open a locked door in a survival horror game.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
this is looking to be the best 100% LP of this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015
That cop not wanting to bother a scared dog is the least realistic part of the game. American cops love killing dogs.