Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Now I'm curious as to what the hell happens if you fail the Oracle's QTE with the X-Com Council

"And that's how my story ended. I'll never be able to psychically murder people in a bathroom again."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trisask
Jul 29, 2013
Presumably the scene just ends with no consequences, kind of like failing the QTE to read minds.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Once again another scene I don't remember. That Mayan exposition wizard bit was completely excised from my mind as was the chase afterwards.

Also I can't believe just locking the door was all it took to stop the Oracle. He possesses people and makes them kill for him but a deadbolt is an impregnable wall? drat you David Cage.

Vonder
May 8, 2007

They've got a spider baby!
He's not joking but he took her to an abandoned amusement park like a loving Scooby Doo villain.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Vonder posted:

He's not joking but he took her to an abandoned amusement park like a loving Scooby Doo villain.

it's so bad it's so bad! gently caress.

I can't remember, is this the first time we've seen Lucas' Spiderman powers? 'Cause I know they show up again but I can't remember if they're really introduced in such a stupid way. Goddammit Cage, those Matrix people were running along walls because they were moving very fast, not because they have sticky feet!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
There is no mention of super powers until the super powers start happening when Lucas gets caught outside the apartment, other than the wizard possessing people and furniture trying to kill Lucas every chance it got. Matrix comes out of nowhere.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
Oh no. Oh no. The "Chroma". It's the colors. It's the Simon Says bullshit.

The in-story explanation for Kane having superpowers is literally that he's the protagonist in a QTE-based video game.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Schubalts posted:

There is no mention of super powers until the super powers start happening when Lucas gets caught outside the apartment, other than the wizard possessing people and furniture trying to kill Lucas every chance it got. Matrix comes out of nowhere.

Yyyeah, but I guess I'm drawing a distinction between badass kungfu backflip powers - which, while stupid, kinda fall under the purview of "human, just more so" - to straight-up effortlessly clinging upside-down to the side of a sheer brick wall with no apparent handholds. Sure, you can always say that it's one of the things that comes along with "the Chroma" - it just feels really weird to do it here. And bad. And dumb. Weirdbaddumb.

FrankZP posted:

Oh no. Oh no. The "Chroma". It's the colors. It's the Simon Says bullshit.

gently caress

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Which of course makes me realize it's a literal game of Simon

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Only a chosen one can dual-wield Simon.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The 1990s revealed that Simon is a horrifying demon that can possess a drawing and cause it to come to life so it's probably the right fit for this world. (Look at the kid's face. He knows if he loses the game, he will lose his soul and probably end up in an insane asylum or dead by his own hand).

Trisask
Jul 29, 2013

Kangra posted:

The 1990s revealed that Simon is a horrifying demon that can possess a drawing and cause it to come to life so it's probably the right fit for this world. (Look at the kid's face. He knows if he loses the game, he will lose his soul and probably end up in an insane asylum or dead by his own hand).

"And that's how my story ends. I lost a game of Simon and GOT THE RAAAAZ. I'll never find out what really happened on that cold, January night, because as far as the rest of the world is concerned, I'm history."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kangra posted:

It's straight up a Yu-Gi-Oh shadow game.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

time to simon says over to the theme park and rescue our ex-girlfriend

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Oh yes, here's the part of the game where David Cage is possessed by the vengeful ghost of Hideo Kojima and the resulting flesh abomination destroys the Earth

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like that it would be incredibly easy to get to a point where you literally cannot keep Tyler in the story.

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

Waffleman_ posted:

I like that it would be incredibly easy to get to a point where you literally cannot keep Tyler in the story.

This is actually the first time I've seen someone not send Tyler to Florida. I'm curious if he'll actually stay in the story or if this is still his final appearance anyway because Cage can't be assed to make actual branching story lines.

Trisask
Jul 29, 2013

CaptianKatsura posted:

This is actually the first time I've seen someone not send Tyler to Florida. I'm curious if he'll actually stay in the story or if this is still his final appearance anyway because Cage can't be assed to make actual branching story lines.

Just remember that Cage is a hack and the answer will be obvious.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I love that Tiffany spends the entire time you're there screaming "LUCAS HELP ME!" and when you get to the top she then tells you "No, it's a trap!"

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

CaptianKatsura posted:

Oh he's gone, to be honest if they really needed more time to fit more of the actual plot they probably could have cut his entire character out of the game.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Does anyone else get the feeling that Lucas Kaine is less the protagonist of a supernatural action-mystery-kung-fu-thriller-mummy movie we've been presented with, and more like the delusions of someone with a persecution complex?

"I know it looks like I did [Bad Thing A], but actually I was chosen through no fault of my own and forced to do [Bad Things A&B] against my will. And all that evidence of [Bad Things A, B, & C] was actually planted in my apartment. By an all-powerful international conspiracy. With magic. Because my very existence is a threat to them, you see. Despite their aforementioned invincibility. Because I'm Extra-Special Magic, you see (also through no fault of my own). That's why I need you to believe me, Sexy Cop Lady, and also maybe we should be boning?"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, between the balance bit and the extended childhood stealth section no wonder you put off recording for so long.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

It's amazing how Cage learned not to do overly complicated stupid minigames after this but he never learned how to pace a game and its budget so there isn't just a five minute monologue where the inner workings of the plot are just screamed at the player.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I appreciate that Tyler kept a good attitude about his partner collaborating with a wanted criminal and also the end of humanity by an apocalyptic ice age, but it's Florida that crushes his spirit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

I appreciate that Tyler kept a good attitude about his partner collaborating with a wanted criminal and also the end of humanity by an apocalyptic ice age, but it's Florida that crushes his spirit.

The first one I'm trained to not be bothered by thanks to being bombared by tons of 'Trust your partner as they start doing something crazy' scenes in movies. Like K letting that alien eat him at the end of Men in Black.

Him almost immediately getting Depression after breaking up with his girlfriend may actually give Tyler way more character accidentally. Tyler might actually just be 14 years old but grew up huge like the Rock.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Lucas went from normal to blonde to zombie Neo all in between scenes with zero explanation each time.

GOTY, every year.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I'm assuming he dyed his hair blonde to keep from being recognized, and the zombie neo thing does get explained later. It's as super dumb as you can believe anything in this wonderful could be.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 15, 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I thought he had just gone white from magic/stress.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

There're plenty of explanations that one can come up with. Him falling into a vat of bleach while fighting a bear is probably the dumbest way they could've gone about it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Just assume that this is always in the lower right corner of the screen from now til the end.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
I thought it would've been cool if, during that scene w/ Carla and John McCorpsicle there, his "stress" meter had visibly bottomed out and then iced over, letting you know hey, this guy's not playing by the same rules as everybody else any more. (And conveniently sparing the designers having to make any more of the lovely failure states they already seem to be half-assing for our emotionless automaton of a protagonist.)

That would've been a potentially-interesting intersection of narrative and gameplay, though, so clearly not on the list for this game.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

That sounds like a good idea and I like it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And it makes narrative sense, seeing as Lucas is probably completely determined now to see this thing through to the end no matter what.

Trisask
Jul 29, 2013
I'm pretty sure that once you get to the amusement park, it becomes literally impossible to game over because of the mental state. The huge drops that Lucas and Tyler get are (I think) scripted to leave you with only 5 or 10 points left, and any further drops won't bring you to 0 because of a few mandatory boosts.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Don't forget that auteur, artist, and philanthrope David Cage recommends you only play his games once to not break the immersion. I'm inclined to agree with him, except I recommend you play them one time less than he does.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

klafbang posted:

Don't forget that auteur, artist, and philanthrope David Cage recommends you only play his games once to not break the immersion. I'm inclined to agree with him, except I recommend you play them one time less than he does.

yeah, i think it should be played atleast 4 times.

speaking of playing, this update a lil different, this sequence took me a long rear end time so there's one thats all of the recording and one thats more short and to the point, would rec watching the edited one more

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I love this.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

From the Earnest Evans school of fight choreography

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
"a homocide becomes THE MATRIX!" good lord that's a description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FutureFriend posted:

speaking of playing, this update a lil different, this sequence took me a long rear end time so there's one thats all of the recording and one thats more short and to the point, would rec watching the edited one more

You can't stop me, I'm gonna watch both so I can get a complete view of all your failures!