Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cavauro posted:

did anybody ever call him the big slow?

The Rock did, but he'd also accompany it with exaggerated noise effects to indicate The Big Show was mentally handicapped, which is probably why it doesn't get brought up all that often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Big Show was one of the biggest stars to leap to the WWF while the Monday Night War was still competitive. By 2000, Show was putting over Shane McMahon.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Twisted Eye posted:

I fuckin loved his ECW championship run at the time

Just realised that Big Show is the only wrestler who’s won the WWE, WCW and ECW titles in a single career

Big Show: the REAL WWE Triple Crown Champion

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That cobra clutch into a backbreaker into a throw-you-across-the-ring-because-you're-dead thing he used to do was aces

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Big Show once got so fat and out of shape that WWF removed him from TV and retconned him as being Steven Richards in No Mercy for N64.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I loved his story about winning the WCW title. A bunch of vets told him he had to carry the belt everywhere to represent the brand, so he's carrying it around and other wrestlers are saying "hey there, champ!" and he felt so proud. Then after putting the belt through an airport security scanner, Sting told him he looked like an idiot and to put the drat belt away, and Big Show realized he'd been ribbed.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I saw Big Show in an airport once, about May 2006. He was, as you would expect, a very large man.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

That may be the most pro wrestler story ever. "Haha, we made you temporarily feel good about yourself, you loser!"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Favorite Show moments:

-Show's first title win in WCW. Flair is defending against him, and Flair, incredibly, controls most of the match because while Show is bigger, more powerful, and maybe even more agile (people forget how absurdly quick he used to be which I'll expand on later in the list), but he's not smarter and he's drat sure not dirtier. At one point, Flair KO's Show with knucks. He's got this thing wrapped up...but Flair is Flair, which he means he has to bask in his glory and showboat, and then, to make matters worse, slaps on the figure four instead of just covering him.

This is a mistake.

Show was either playing possum or the figure four woke up him up, because he pops out of unconsciousness looking tremendously pissed off, goozles Flair, and chokeslams him halfway back to Minnesota. What really sells it is that Woman, is at ringside, and she flips the gently caress out because she knows the minute Show wraps his hand around Slick Ric's neck, he's doneski. It's an awesome finish, one that I wish somebody steal, and I also kinda liked that Jimmy Hart finally got to manage a world champ.

-During the Smokin' Giant gimmick, he works a match on Thunder against Disco Inferno. He comes out smoking, and Disco begins lecturing Giant about how gross smoking is, how it smells, etc. and then he drops this gem, which is probably the funniest thing Disco ever did:

"You know, smoking stunts your growth".

And Show, bless his basketball sized heart, kinda makes a face that sarcastically says "Well, you got me there".

-During one of the aborted periods where WWE tried to get serious about pushing him, I remember a squash where he basically went to the ring, leaped over the top rope from the apron like Mongo used to do (!) and then absolutely destroys poor Test with a really solid dropkick (!!) and then just mops up with a chokeslam. It reminded you: this guy should in theory be a massive, super impressive nu-Era Andre. But business demanded they use him more, I guess. And I think some people weren't really able to work matches in a style that fit Show's strengths during that period, so he ended up just being another guy.

-There's one behind the scenes story that tells me that Show's an alright sort of guy whose ego rarely gets in the way (either that or he drank Paul's kool-aid quite willingly). During the disastrous ECW EC, he offered to go with Paul Heyman's proposed finish sequence, which involved defending champ Show tapping to the Anaconda Vise for the first elimination, with the idea being that Punk eventually loses but looks like a beast, and Lashley still wins. That's a big man who understands that while protecting himself is important, so is making guys for down the line.

To Paul's credit, I think he booked Show better than anybody.

-If you've never watched Show impersonate Hulk Hogan, please do it. It's actually quite funny. Show, as mentioned before, has a gift for comedy (not that you'd know it by watching his movie). There's the bit where he jacks Godfather's gear to get a piece of someone, don't remember who, and his "ho" for the night ended up being his wife at the time, Bess. There's the funny stuff with him Punk during the SES period of Punk's career.

We've crucified WWE for wasting net darlings, and rightly so because some of them really did have what it took to be big stars, but they also left serious money on the table with Show. And it's weird because if you buy into the whole "Vince is always trying to find his next Hulk Hogan/Andre, Show had that potential in my opinion. They've bungled the handling of him since jumpstreet (he looked like an idiot in his WWE debut) and sadly, it's too late to fix it. I hope he's not bitter at this stage.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 21, 2018

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Can't remember which year it was, but the post Survivor series Raw, where big show heel turned on SS. He got into the ring, face turned, the crowd was not having any of it.

He then stated due to his long time in WWE that "you guys owe me a mulligan". Crowed booed more. Then he re-heel turned and pulled a "you people" speech.

God drat I love Big Show.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
He's loving shite ta

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Just remembered the time Show beat Lesnar for the WWE title. The following Smackdown involved Fabulous Moolah coming out to cut a promo, but she was interrupted by Paul Heyman saying ‘great news! You have a WWE Championship match. With the Big Show. Right now.’

The loving look of terror on Moolah’s face is priceless. Wish they’d actually had that squash, but unfortunately Lesnar interfered and set up his rematch. Still, it was nice to see Show choking out one of the most evil wrestlers in history like that.

e: https://youtu.be/R-uhfIskCzM

Venomous fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Oct 21, 2018

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

ICHIBAHN posted:

He's loving shite

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

ICHIBAHN posted:

He's loving shite ta

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

This reminds me of my favorite Big Show thing: how loving excited he'd get about how he was going to "do his move."

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Remember when Stephanie was implying she was a literal child when she met The Big Show?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

The Giant was good. Big Show is trash.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Wasn't there a rumble or something where Kane and Show did a whole chain wrestling sequence just for the gently caress of it?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

coconono posted:

Wasn't there a rumble or something where Kane and Show did a whole chain wrestling sequence just for the gently caress of it?

It was on a random Raw. The whole thing was that they were this dominant tag team just coming off a lengthy reign when Kane started freaking out over all the "May 19th" poo poo. Big Show, being his friend, tried to calm him down, but Kane kept going more and more insane and violent.

They were put in a singles match on Raw and they started doing chain wrestling out of nowhere as Big Show's attempt to keep things friendly and add levity instead of turning this into a brutal slugfest between buddies. It was working until Kane started having another episode again. It was pretty great because JR seemingly didn't know this was going to happen ahead of time and you could tell it was making his day.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NienNunb posted:

Remember when Stephanie was implying she was a literal child when she met The Big Show?

Isn't he supposed to be dead by now

Remember when the Big Show dressed like a baby and danced?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
i wish theyd let him vape on the tv wrestling

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Endless Mike posted:

Isn't he supposed to be dead by now

Remember when the Big Show dressed like a baby and danced?

I think you mean: Remember when the Big Show dressed like a baby and danced about two weeks after getting a main event title feud and failing to hijack the Yes Movement?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gavok posted:

It was on a random Raw. The whole thing was that they were this dominant tag team just coming off a lengthy reign when Kane started freaking out over all the "May 19th" poo poo. Big Show, being his friend, tried to calm him down, but Kane kept going more and more insane and violent.

They were put in a singles match on Raw and they started doing chain wrestling out of nowhere as Big Show's attempt to keep things friendly and add levity instead of turning this into a brutal slugfest between buddies. It was working until Kane started having another episode again. It was pretty great because JR seemingly didn't know this was going to happen ahead of time and you could tell it was making his day.

It was kind of amazing. I mean it was almost in slow motion which just made it more amusing.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Gavok posted:

This reminds me of my favorite Big Show thing: how loving excited he'd get about how he was going to "do his move."

Also that one time he actually hit the Vader Bomb into an elbow thing. "I did my move!"

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Gavok posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RYvXFiDGQ0

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I wonder if he still plays Destiny all the time.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I really liked the Big Show/Kane/Raven Hardcore match at Wrestlemania. I miss the Hardcore championship.

But mainly seconding everyone else here. BigShow is massively entertaining. He has charisma, and you can't teach that. If he was smaller, he would still be charming and fun and cool.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

I really liked the Big Show/Kane/Raven Hardcore match at Wrestlemania. I miss the Hardcore championship.

God, I loved how as soon as Kane and Raven got in the ring, they started beating the poo poo out of each other, but then Big Show's entrance began and they cut between Kane and Raven beating the poo poo out of each other and Big Show walking down the aisle looking so goddamn threatening. More of a production thing, but still, Show played his role incredibly well in that match, especially as it began.

I too miss the Hardcore title. If they brought it back as, say, the 24/7 title, and presented more like the Ironmanheavymetalweight Championship than the old Hardcore title, that'd get a lot of folks on the lower end of the card over.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Send Big Show to PWG and have him fight Super Dragon.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

coconono posted:

Send Big Show to NWA-MS and have him fight Beau James.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Can't even say 'wrestle' Beau James because nothing Beau James does can be called 'wrestling'

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I still giggle like an idiot at this spot every time

and beau was SSW, not NWA-MS, my bad

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

he works everywhere. Beau's shindie is SSW.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

coconono posted:

he works everywhere. Beau's shindie is SSW.

Aaah right on

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Imagine this: You know how strong Hulk Hogan gets when he Hulks up? Think about what would happen if Big Show could Big up. Not even a chair shot could stop him.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I'm the embarrassed and confused look on his face, like he's just ripped a fart at a dinner party that surprised even him

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RYvXFiDGQ0

For anyone who hasn't seen the chain wrestling match

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Just wanted everyone to know that this thread is a safe space for discourse relating to vaping, Destiny, and big fat guys who wrestle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

NienNunb posted:

Just wanted everyone to know that this thread is a safe space for discourse relating to vaping, Destiny, and big fat guys who wrestle

I like to think that Big Daddy would be into Destiny if he was alive today

• Locked thread