Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Favorite Show moments:

-Show's first title win in WCW. Flair is defending against him, and Flair, incredibly, controls most of the match because while Show is bigger, more powerful, and maybe even more agile (people forget how absurdly quick he used to be which I'll expand on later in the list), but he's not smarter and he's drat sure not dirtier. At one point, Flair KO's Show with knucks. He's got this thing wrapped up...but Flair is Flair, which he means he has to bask in his glory and showboat, and then, to make matters worse, slaps on the figure four instead of just covering him.

This is a mistake.

Show was either playing possum or the figure four woke up him up, because he pops out of unconsciousness looking tremendously pissed off, goozles Flair, and chokeslams him halfway back to Minnesota. What really sells it is that Woman, is at ringside, and she flips the gently caress out because she knows the minute Show wraps his hand around Slick Ric's neck, he's doneski. It's an awesome finish, one that I wish somebody steal, and I also kinda liked that Jimmy Hart finally got to manage a world champ.

-During the Smokin' Giant gimmick, he works a match on Thunder against Disco Inferno. He comes out smoking, and Disco begins lecturing Giant about how gross smoking is, how it smells, etc. and then he drops this gem, which is probably the funniest thing Disco ever did:

"You know, smoking stunts your growth".

And Show, bless his basketball sized heart, kinda makes a face that sarcastically says "Well, you got me there".

-During one of the aborted periods where WWE tried to get serious about pushing him, I remember a squash where he basically went to the ring, leaped over the top rope from the apron like Mongo used to do (!) and then absolutely destroys poor Test with a really solid dropkick (!!) and then just mops up with a chokeslam. It reminded you: this guy should in theory be a massive, super impressive nu-Era Andre. But business demanded they use him more, I guess. And I think some people weren't really able to work matches in a style that fit Show's strengths during that period, so he ended up just being another guy.

-There's one behind the scenes story that tells me that Show's an alright sort of guy whose ego rarely gets in the way (either that or he drank Paul's kool-aid quite willingly). During the disastrous ECW EC, he offered to go with Paul Heyman's proposed finish sequence, which involved defending champ Show tapping to the Anaconda Vise for the first elimination, with the idea being that Punk eventually loses but looks like a beast, and Lashley still wins. That's a big man who understands that while protecting himself is important, so is making guys for down the line.

To Paul's credit, I think he booked Show better than anybody.

-If you've never watched Show impersonate Hulk Hogan, please do it. It's actually quite funny. Show, as mentioned before, has a gift for comedy (not that you'd know it by watching his movie). There's the bit where he jacks Godfather's gear to get a piece of someone, don't remember who, and his "ho" for the night ended up being his wife at the time, Bess. There's the funny stuff with him Punk during the SES period of Punk's career.

We've crucified WWE for wasting net darlings, and rightly so because some of them really did have what it took to be big stars, but they also left serious money on the table with Show. And it's weird because if you buy into the whole "Vince is always trying to find his next Hulk Hogan/Andre, Show had that potential in my opinion. They've bungled the handling of him since jumpstreet (he looked like an idiot in his WWE debut) and sadly, it's too late to fix it. I hope he's not bitter at this stage.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread