Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I was making jokes about Foster but they had really bad luck defensively this offseason and that seems to be most of the problem. The Florida State game kinda made people forget about it but it turns out Florida State's line is just trash. Fuente's offense actually looks alright given that they've been playing the backup QB for a big chunk or the season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

CannonFodder posted:

The radio guys said the defense lost 9 starters, 4 to the NFL.

Still, stack the box and make GT pretend to have a passing game.

agreed, that was more of a “the defense is underperforming in general” rather than an excuse for that piss poor playcalling from last night

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
GT has lost to teams with worse talent on defense this year. The difference between those teams and VT last night was scheme. For some stupid reason, VT played with two high safeties just about the whole night. You absolutely do not need to respect our passing attack, this isn't like 2014-2016 when we had a QB who could throw the ball kind of okay, our passing game this year is the worst it's ever been under Paul Johnson. We are an utterly one-dimensional team and stacking the box against us will grind our offense to a halt. The fact that VT didn't do this is perplexing to me.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Could it be a personnel issue? Maybe VT's depth in the front seven is so bad they actually think they stood better with the full secondary in

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
VT has ONE total P5 starter quality DT, MAYBE one DE, zero talented corners, one good safety, and an abyss at linebacker.

Our 'backup' QB is better than the original starter in every way except that he doesn't always run every play EXACTLY the way Fu would prefer. Fu blamed Willis for the O last night when he had 7 incompletions, of which four were drops. Our coaches take zero responsibility for the tire fire they've been putting on the field, and allow zero access to the program to the fans. Making it real hard to care, but at least we're improving rapidly in basketball.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Raku posted:

Could it be a personnel issue? Maybe VT's depth in the front seven is so bad they actually think they stood better with the full secondary in

even if that were the case, you could have the corners play on the line and have the safeties contain instead of playing 2 deep for no reason

georgia tech attempted one pass all game long; you gotta find a way to make adjustments mid-game so you’re not getting burned on 78 rushes at 6 yards a pop even if you’re thin on defense

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

VT's D looked like that Mike Stoops performance against Baylor in '14. No I will absolutely not change this scheme that everyone sees isn't working.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Pakled posted:

GT has lost to teams with worse talent on defense this year. The difference between those teams and VT last night was scheme. For some stupid reason, VT played with two high safeties just about the whole night. You absolutely do not need to respect our passing attack, this isn't like 2014-2016 when we had a QB who could throw the ball kind of okay, our passing game this year is the worst it's ever been under Paul Johnson. We are an utterly one-dimensional team and stacking the box against us will grind our offense to a halt. The fact that VT didn't do this is perplexing to me.

I'm guessing that in practices, Foster saw that they were going to give up tons of huge runs come gametime if he did his normal style of defense. Best I can imagine is that he thought their best chance was to contain the big play and hope GT fumbled a couple times. Certainly didn't help that the starting MLB went out with injury on the 1st or 2nd series, and then lost their leading tackler to targeting 5 minutes into the 2nd half (I believe he still finished the game as the leading tackler, despite only playing the 1st half, microcosm of the game right there)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Also, Georgia Tech has completed four passes in its last three games against VT combined and won all three lol

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Also just going to drop a quick "go noles" lol after seeing the main headlines of today

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
I miss being a good, competitive program, but that's not really been true more than one season since 2010. I think I was just unbelievably lucky and fortunate to be a student from 2003-2007. Also I can't wait till Paul Johnson is gone from football, regardless of the trajectory of our program, because every time I see them snap the ball and watch their OL dive at the DL's knees, I cringe and wait for a knee explosion.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/montgomj53/status/1055800131562409984

Our quarterback is going to die

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I guess I'm biased but QB running is awesome, and the viability of running with the QB is a big part of what makes college football more fun than the NFL. I was going to say "the viability of dual threat QBs" but that very much does not apply to GT.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

D.N. Nation posted:

VT's D looked like that Mike Stoops performance against Baylor in '14. No I will absolutely not change this scheme that everyone sees isn't working.

that's what it reminded me of

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

D.N. Nation posted:

I thought it was him trying to protect young players to avoid huge bust plays, but instead we just got eaten up 6 yards at a time when the safeties finally came down to make the tackle. I honestly had no idea what he was trying to do all game, it looked nothing like our usual gameplans vs GT.

It was a bad performance to add to the pile of disappointing performances from this staff. Rose tinted glasses and everything but Fuente feels like a miss. Team is getting worse as the season progresses, a young group should be improving or fixing things and they're just getting more and more out of whack.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 26, 2018

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

I didn't watch any of this game and just looked and the box score and hooooooly poo poo

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Joey Freshwater posted:

I didn't watch any of this game and just looked and the box score and hooooooly poo poo

The most single-game rushing yards in the ACC this season is set by our backup quarterback lol

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Wait, Missouri's apparently favored by more than a TD on the road at at home vs Kentucky? What? Is the pick'em site lying to me?

I was sure that was a road game.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

Wait, Missouri's apparently favored by more than a TD on the road at at home vs Kentucky? What? Is the pick'em site lying to me?

I was sure that was a road game.

i thought that line was weird too. i'm not high on kentucky or anything, but missouri by a td, really? missouri?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Clearly you didn’t catch our quality OOC win in West Lafayette :smug:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Big Ten West Champion Northwestern

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
e: wrong thread

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
GET DOOLEY THE gently caress OUT OF COLUMBIA

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

the mean lunch lady posted:

Odom too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Do they have a kicking coach? Making Tucker McCann not complete rear end and just occasional rear end is the only thing I might call a good coaching job the last few years. Fatony's been generally ok to goodish too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The last time Missouri beat a ranked team was 2014. If (when, really) they don't beat Florida on the road next week that streak will extend to 2019.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The problem is that you can use the horrendous officiating as a fig leaf. I'd rather they have just lost the game earlier to make it less easy to deflect blame from Odom and company.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
All they had to do was run the ball on 3rd and 2. Even if they didn't get it, they would have forced UK to use their last timeout. Jesus loving christ aughhhhhghhhhhhhhhhhh

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
get rid of every goddamn coach on that team. no mercy to any of these motherfuckers

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Dooley still being the gift that keeps on giving lol

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Mizzou in the sec is my favorite poo poo.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Big Ten West Champion Northwestern

:getin:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

All they had to do was run the ball on 3rd and 2. Even if they didn't get it, they would have forced UK to use their last timeout. Jesus loving christ aughhhhhghhhhhhhhhhhh

Yes exactly. Fuuuuuckkkkkkkkk that decision

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Hed posted:

Yes exactly. Fuuuuuckkkkkkkkk that decision

I'm even ok with Lock sprinting out honestly, but he should have had instructions to just go down if he didn't have an easy no doubt throw for the first or a sure running lane.

I'm sure people would have screamed about that but it's better to lose 8 yards there and force a time out than throw the ball out of bounds.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Someone asked in the GDT how hard it is to fire Odom. It's slightly harder than I thought and you'd have liked to see enough to keep him one more year, but should still doable for a P5 program.

https://twitter.com/daniel_m_jones/status/939593324641554432

Missouri's athletic department has supposedly lost money the last couple of years, so I guess a million bucks could possibly play into the decision? It shouldn't, but I don't know. Either way good idea extending him for no reason for making a bowl game after facing a ridiculously soft schedule in the second half of 2017.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Waiting until March over a million dollars seems like a really bad idea to me. By then, the coaching carousel will have basically been over for a month and they'd be left picking up the scraps. And they'd stand to lose a lot more than a million dollars if their next hire doesn't work out.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
ah, but how many True Sons would still be on the market?? (all of them, because they suck)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pakled posted:

Waiting until March over a million dollars seems like a really bad idea to me. By then, the coaching carousel will have basically been over for a month and they'd be left picking up the scraps. And they'd stand to lose a lot more than a million dollars if their next hire doesn't work out.

Oh no, I wasn't suggesting that. If you keep him that long he's your coach for 2019. Just saying I have no idea how much Sterk is getting chewed out over losing money, I have seen lots of articles whining about it.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Edit wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Based on the basketball hire I have a lot of faith in Jim Sterk to bring in somebody good, if we could only fire Odom already.

• Locked thread