Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Raku posted:

bill connelly addressed this well in the new PAPN:

don't look like poo poo for even a little while against the worst ECU squad ever

Wasn't ECU even worse the past couple of years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

zimbomonkey posted:

UCF. They dropped 2 slots in the coaches poll and stayed steady in the ap, but got jumped by Florida in the AP as OSU fell.

Only AP's son has gotten a rawer deal from the AP Poll.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Have we talked about WKU-ODU yet?

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/10/22/18007100/old-dominion-wku-ending-2018

It was some wild poo poo and totally flew under my my radar.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Thought that was my sister for a second there

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

The interstate rivalry that's bigger than the intrastate one is a weird quirk of college football. I guess because two programs rarely dominate in one state.

Michigan/OSU is bigger than Michigan/MSU
Florida/Georgia is bigger than Georgia/GT or Florida/FSU (conferences also matter there)
Texas/Oklahoma is bigger than Texas/A&M or Bedlam
USC/Notre Dame seems bigger than USC/UCLA

Even a lot of Bama fans seem to hate Tennessee more than Auburn despite the Iron Bowl being an infinitely more important game most years and Auburn having more success in recent memory.

It's usually because the program that's historically more successful or a bigger brand doesn't want to acknowledge that an in state "little brother" is basically their equal, even if that's demonstrably been the case for the past ~40 years.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Dream job or not, if Louisville’s administration and athletic department is in disarray, Brohm might be wise to give it a pass for now and come in after the next guy fails.

But maybe the situation is fine, I don’t know.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Check the record post-integration

Edit: 19-17 Ags since 1975, a year picked arbitrarily to best support my point, but also before Oklahoma v NCAA in 1980 something

General Dog fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 24, 2018

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

And they integrated before you did.

Both were shamefully late, who gives a poo poo

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think it’s reasonable to look at college football pre and post integration as two separate epochs for the sport. That’s not to say that a win in 1955 is any less valid than a win in 1985, just that what’s happened in the last 50 years may be more relevant to current discussion than what happened the 50 years before that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I appreciate UCF making dubious title claims cool again. If you won all your games then you claim that poo poo.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Sab0921 posted:

Yeah - but on the other hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UFJ3XNg3Uc

I miss u guys come back :(

You're bad for me but I can't quit u

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Pakled posted:

Yeah the Civil ConFLiCT is, in every way imaginable, the worst rivalry ever
1. It was made up entirely by UConn without consulting UCF, UCF learned about it through twitter
2. They had only played twice before
3. The schools are 1000 miles apart, UConn isn't good enoguh to compete with UCF for divisional titles, and the two schools share nothing that would make them natural rivals
4. The name is supposed to hint at the Civil War I guess but "civil conflict" is just such a limp-dicked term for a civil war
5. When UCF won, they left the trophy on the field
6. UCF makes not accepting the trophy and not calling it a rivalry a point of pride

So what are the bad things about it?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Also remember UConn having a BCS appearance this decade? That was sure something.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Sent me looking for college rivalry game names. I like the Anchor Bone Classic (Ferris State/Grand Valley State). I think it's a play on their mascots but I don't even care why it's named that.

Memphis UAB is apparently the Battle for the Bones and the trophy is a giant golden rack of ribs. MTSU/WKU is 100 miles of hate which isn't bad. Alcorn State/Jackson State=The Soul Bowl.

Baylor-SMU is The Golgotha Classic

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Don't nobody care about that poo poo, WE'VE ACTUALLY GOT A GOOD THURSDAY NIGHT SLATE TONIGHT, GET HYPE

Georgia Southern-App State might be the best of the bunch. Baylor-WVU could be interesting for a couple of quarters. VT-GT is certain to be stupid one way or another.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 25, 2018

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

----this is where I almost made another banable post about Baylor---

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

G-Hawk posted:

i hope texas doesnt poo poo themselves saturday because the texas/wv game could be real fun

By transitive property via Baylor, WV is 40 points better.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Numlock posted:

Dana should just buzz his hair that bald with a mullet thing isn’t a good look.

It's extremely West Virginia though

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

When I was in Clarksburg I knew a guy at work who everybody called "Smiley" who did odd jobs around the yard, and he was both balder on top and longer in the back than Dana.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

Red Dead Redemption 2 launches in one loving hour guys GET HYPE

I don't think I'm going to be done downloading for another 2 hours, at which point I should really be in bed :(

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

I’m just going to buy it after I drop my daughter off at daycare. Then jump into the oubliette of New Austin sandbox realism GODDAMN IVE WAITED SO LONG

I like to pretend that the existence of New Austin means that old Austin was destroyed in the RDR universe.

Grittybeard posted:

Are you on PS4? This is a trick that seemed to help me.

Although it's not going to help enough that you shouldn't be in bed by the time it's done.

Yeah thanks, but I think it will be done downloading before I can do all that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

did u know the horses scrotum expands and contracts in reaction to the temperature??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

No one else hatable? Have you heard of Baylor?

Chaotic evil is always cooler than lawful evil

• Locked thread