Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DC Murderverse posted:

remember folks, they beat Virginia Tech, and had to have a series of minor miracles happen to beat WKU

This is also only their second win of the season against a schedule that you'd expect Old Dominion to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Haha, Jesus:

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1053822569407758336

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KKKLIP ART posted:

It’s going to be Arkansas and we all know it

I don't think Missouri's going to get him but is there a reason I'm missing that this is the obvious choice?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
In honor of Jeff Driskel's regular season NFL debut I'll just link this Spencer Hall thing again.

This time he had nothing to do with the blowout.

e: oops this is the one I meant to link.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 22, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Mark Stoops said he will play multiple quarterbacks against Missouri this weekend. Sounds like not only will Gunnar Hoak be getting snaps along with Terry Wilson, but Danny Clark might too. It's a hell of a thing to be 6-1 and have a quarterback controversy.

If it helps any Missouri's been pretty good at letting quarterbacks I've never heard of before go off on them this year. Not a long term solution I know but you might have fun for that game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Hasn't Missouri had issues stopping the run too? I feel like a heavy dose of Benny Snell might be the key. Churn the clock and keep the ball away from Missouri's offense.

In theory the front 7 is the strength of the defense, and they're 4th in the nation according to rushing S&P+ somehow? I hadn't actually looked at that until now and it stuns me.

To the eye test they're not really good at anything, although I did think they were at least a little better at stopping the run than the pass.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

https://twitter.com/LiveFeedLville/status/1054698348526166017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KKKLIP ART posted:

Also lol at L’ville

We shouldn't get too excited yet. From an actual courier-journal reporter:

https://twitter.com/TimSullivan714/status/1054752047302692864

e: well maybe he's an actual reporter, I don't know. I'm not good at twitter. Ah, yeah looks like he is, that's what is linked from the paper's website at least.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 23, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I have nothing against Purdue but....don't do this to yourself. Enjoy this season. Be happy if he's still coaching the team the first game next season.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Zoran posted:

Not really the case for Bedlam, which is usually a fun game but is a series that OU has dominated. OU is 87-18-7 and has won 13 of the last 15 games.

I think the basketball series is a little more fun because it's closer to even, but yeah I'll watch whatever bedlam game football or basketball.

e: apparently BB's swinging more to OU recently too, which makes sense. Overall it's 135-95 OU but recently it's 17-6 OU. Still always a great atmosphere and fun to watch.

Ha, and since I just saw this I'll add it in for Thoguh who I'm sure is the only one who will care:

quote:

Oklahoma State holds a lopsided advantage in the schools' wrestling rivalry, the original "Bedlam Series." The Cowboy wrestling program currently holds a 140–27–10 record against the Sooners, which is all the more remarkable considering that both schools have long been national powers in wrestling.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 23, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

Dream job or not, if Louisville’s administration and athletic department is in disarray, Brohm might be wise to give it a pass for now and come in after the next guy fails.

I'd imagine most coaches wouldn't think of it like that. On the other hand the 2018 Scott Frost experience might give him some pause if Louisville is in awful shape as far as competing on the field next year.

I have no idea if that's the case or not. I'd think it is based on results this year but I know nothing about their roster.

e: It's also not like he's scared of a rebuild I guess. The man is coaching Purdue.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I don't really care but the conversation made me look up Texas and A&M on wiki, and what is this bullshit on the Texas wiki page?

quote:

Unclaimed nat'l titles 5 (1914, 1941, 1968, 1977, 1981)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

Tryna outBama Bama

They're not even claiming them though? And the first two years I looked up they don't have a particularly good argument. '81 they were 10-1-1, Clemson was 12-0 with similar looking schedules as far as ranked teams go.

In '77 they were 11-1 and so was Notre Dame. But Notre Dame happened to beat Texas 38-10 in the Cotton Bowl.

Do other wiki pages have something like this? Apparently yes. For Nebraska:

quote:

Unclaimed nat'l titles 9 (1915, 1921, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1993, 1999)

Where does this come from?

e: Missouri, hell yes!

quote:

Unclaimed nat'l titles 2 (1960, 2007)

Kiss the unclaimed non-existent rings.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

My dad talks about a lot of fictional titles for UGA. It's probably some Infowars Boomer poo poo. Much like Bear's mystique.

Apparently it is a Bama type thing after actually scrolling through those long rear end pages. Those are all years where non-major polls or things like the Billingsley report named teams national champions.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

zimbomonkey posted:

And yes, I'm aware this has been a problem since the BCS era.

Little bit longer than that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sab0921 posted:

All I took from this is that the game against Georgia Tech is called "Clean Old Fashioned Hate" which rules.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean,_Old-Fashioned_Hate

Sent me looking for college rivalry game names. I like the Anchor Bone Classic (Ferris State/Grand Valley State). I think it's a play on their mascots but I don't even care why it's named that.

Memphis UAB is apparently the Battle for the Bones and the trophy is a giant golden rack of ribs. MTSU/WKU is 100 miles of hate which isn't bad. Alcorn State/Jackson State=The Soul Bowl.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

I don't think I'm going to be done downloading for another 2 hours, at which point I should really be in bed :(

Are you on PS4? This is a trick that seemed to help me.

Although it's not going to help enough that you shouldn't be in bed by the time it's done.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

Yeah thanks, but I think it will be done downloading before I can do all that.

Eh, it takes like 5 minutes to do barring VPNs or something which would take a little research but I get it. Just something to try the next time you buy something huge to download.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Wait, Missouri's apparently favored by more than a TD on the road at at home vs Kentucky? What? Is the pick'em site lying to me?

I was sure that was a road game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

the mean lunch lady posted:

GET DOOLEY THE gently caress OUT OF COLUMBIA

Do they have a kicking coach? Making Tucker McCann not complete rear end and just occasional rear end is the only thing I might call a good coaching job the last few years. Fatony's been generally ok to goodish too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The last time Missouri beat a ranked team was 2014. If (when, really) they don't beat Florida on the road next week that streak will extend to 2019.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Hed posted:

Yes exactly. Fuuuuuckkkkkkkkk that decision

I'm even ok with Lock sprinting out honestly, but he should have had instructions to just go down if he didn't have an easy no doubt throw for the first or a sure running lane.

I'm sure people would have screamed about that but it's better to lose 8 yards there and force a time out than throw the ball out of bounds.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Someone asked in the GDT how hard it is to fire Odom. It's slightly harder than I thought and you'd have liked to see enough to keep him one more year, but should still doable for a P5 program.

https://twitter.com/daniel_m_jones/status/939593324641554432

Missouri's athletic department has supposedly lost money the last couple of years, so I guess a million bucks could possibly play into the decision? It shouldn't, but I don't know. Either way good idea extending him for no reason for making a bowl game after facing a ridiculously soft schedule in the second half of 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pakled posted:

Waiting until March over a million dollars seems like a really bad idea to me. By then, the coaching carousel will have basically been over for a month and they'd be left picking up the scraps. And they'd stand to lose a lot more than a million dollars if their next hire doesn't work out.

Oh no, I wasn't suggesting that. If you keep him that long he's your coach for 2019. Just saying I have no idea how much Sterk is getting chewed out over losing money, I have seen lots of articles whining about it.

• Locked thread