Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Michigan-MSU was the most on brand game in the rivalry’s recent history for the first three quarters. Now our best player is out for the rest of his college career so our lovely, banged up quarterback has nobody to throw to until Cody White returns from a broken hand. This is one of the strangest Michigan State seasons I can remember and there are still five games left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

D.N. Nation posted:

First time Sparty hasn't beat the spread on Michigan in 10 years, something like that?

Probably. It’s rare for them not to beat the spread against ranked opponents in general.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Coaches poll is out

Michigan State

lol who did this

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
East Lansing is for sure more conservative than Ann Arbor but Michigan surely has the most 90 year old fans who complain about rap music

Most college football fans are awful people.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Scarf posted:

For a team who likes to downplay their rivalry with MSU, michigan is going pretty hard in the paint celebrating.

I think the program itself has started embracing the hate, especially the players. It’s the fans that are always like “I’m not mad about getting dominated for a decade. It’s actually hilarious to me”

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

D.N. Nation posted:

I made a complete bonkers rear end of myself while watching WLOCP last season and every other UGA fan around me did too, and I'd do it again and again because yeah, dominated for a decade/decades*

*though we've won 4 out of 7 against one of the lousiest Florida football runs in modern times, yaaaaaay

Yeah but would you do the same if Georgia Tech owned you for a decade? Because that’s the more comparable rivalry.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The interstate rivalry that's bigger than the intrastate one is a weird quirk of college football. I guess because two programs rarely dominate in one state.

Michigan/OSU is bigger than Michigan/MSU
Florida/Georgia is bigger than Georgia/GT or Florida/FSU (conferences also matter there)
Texas/Oklahoma is bigger than Texas/A&M or Bedlam
USC/Notre Dame seems bigger than USC/UCLA

Even a lot of Bama fans seem to hate Tennessee more than Auburn despite the Iron Bowl being an infinitely more important game most years and Auburn having more success in recent memory.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

OTOH Kentucky’s biggest rival is Louisville because being a trash fire of a football state is tradition.

Also Michigan/tOSU is just an extension of the hatred the two states have of each other. They went to war over Toledo of all things

We “lost” and got the UP and all of its mined resources out of it.

Also having spent four years in Ohio it is really just Michigan without the scenery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/billdifilippo/status/1055430418193887232

• Locked thread