Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

No one is okay with kids being mistreated to make chocolate. Being vegan does not mean you don't also disprove of chocolate-kid-abuse. There is no connection between the two and you are being ridiculous.

Do you also snort with disapproval at people who donate money to cancer research? Don't these people know that there are kids starving in Yemen? Those monsters - Clearly they are okay with starving kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
I actually like to lurk behind recycling bins and then demand to know what anyone who uses it is doing about Kurdish genocide.

e; sometimes I do it while eating falafel.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Geisladisk posted:

No one is okay with kids being mistreated to make chocolate.

So if you support an industry that mistreats them, but you still aren't ok with it?

So I'm also not okay with poor animal conditions even though I eat those animal products?

I'll just never understand if you are okay snacking on a Nestle bar but can't justify eating pork.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I stopped eating beef two years ago. Because I feel the cattle industry is detrimental to the planet as a whole. But I still eat chicken and fish and a piece or two of bacon every month.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

zapplez posted:

I just can't understand being so concerned with ethical food i'd refuse to eat meat because of mistreatment of animals, but on the same hand I am okay having a chocolate bar from a megacorp in which I know actual human kids are being horribly mistreated.

But not everyone that is vegan is solely because they think its an ethical issue of how their food is sourced.

But I am the kind of person that is fine with 100,000 pigs getting slaughtered in medical testing to prevent 1 human kid from having cancer.

Or, you know, has any idea about the way the produce workers who pick and ship all that out-of-season produce into the US are treated.

There is no ethical consumption under capitalism. People should set whatever personal dietary limits they want, of course, but treating it like a political statement is silly.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Oh cool we get to hear why vegans are lovely hypocrites, that doesn't get old and I've definitely never heard it a hundred times.

OP the GWS vegan thread is your best resource on the forum, lots of great recipes and ideas. Oh, and there is no vegan cheese worth eating, so say goodbye to that completely. Non dairy milk is generally really good and most of them are fortified with extra calcium and vitamins (like b12) so you probably won't have to supplement much at all. The only issue I had when I was eating vegan was getting enough iron, but that's mostly my own fault.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
This is a looking like it's going to be a lot easier than I was expecting. I'm going to take everyone's advice and just ease into it - i have several days worth of meat and cheese in the fridge if I go down to one non-vegan meal a day (eventually progressing to one every other day) at which point I'll be able to just take the training wheels off. I've already cooked one drat delicious meal from the resources listed in that thread, and I'm excited to try more. Thanks to everyone who has stopped in to offer advice so far!

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

olives black posted:

This is a looking like it's going to be a lot easier than I was expecting. I'm going to take everyone's advice and just ease into it - i have several days worth of meat and cheese in the fridge if I go down to one non-vegan meal a day (eventually progressing to one every other day) at which point I'll be able to just take the training wheels off. I've already cooked one drat delicious meal from the resources listed in that thread, and I'm excited to try more. Thanks to everyone who has stopped in to offer advice so far!

Something I noticed as I experimented with vegetarianism is that a lot of the things I cooked tasted blander than I hoped. What I realized is that without meat you have to pay extra attention to savory flavors. I recommend as you experiment with more dishes you pay extra attention to properly searing ingredients, getting caramelization going, and otherwise ensuring that the Maillard reaction occurs. If you don't already use broth start putting it in everything. It really makes a big difference.

I also want to second the point about not stressing and letting yourself burn out. Just remember every little change you make leaves the world that much better off, so if circumstances cause you to slip remember its no big deal, just look ahead to the next meal.

zapplez posted:

So if you support an industry that mistreats them, but you still aren't ok with it?

So I'm also not okay with poor animal conditions even though I eat those animal products?

I'll just never understand if you are okay snacking on a Nestle bar but can't justify eating pork.

Your morality is trite and childish, nobody cares.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

zapplez posted:

LOL imagine being this much of a cliched doofus yet being utterly convinced that you're the only one who can see through the bullshit.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

big dyke energy posted:

Oh, and there is no vegan cheese worth eating, so say goodbye to that completely.
Objection!

Miyoko's black ash is a great cheese to have in any context where you would eat sliced unmelted cheese, like on a cracker. It's expensive, but you can slice it like half as thin as you would slice a regular cheese because it's very strongly flavored, so the price isn't quite as insane as it looks.

There are several vegan cheeses that work well in that kind of context, but that's the best one (and they're all insanely expensive artisanal things). Also most of them grow fur pretty quickly if you don't seal them up really well, but the black ash self-seals like a real cheese.

But yeah, definitely say goodbye to melted cheese, you're generally better off having a no-cheese pizza than any of the vegan cheeses that purport to melt. (Caramelized onions can make a no-cheese pizza still good.)

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Hey guy, how about shutting up for a while.

There are lots of reasons for going vegan, none of which are any of your business.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

olives black: here's what you need to be a healthy vegan:

1. food
2. A B12 supplement

I'm not even a vegan myself, but most of my meals are vegan anyway. Good luck to you with eating better, and enjoy your food. :)

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Scrambled tofu is really good (my partner hates eggs so it's been great for weekend breakfasts regardless of dietary choice!), and tofu more generally is a handy cheap protein. You need to cook it properly though otherwise it can be a bit tasteless and mushy. We usually marinade it with chilli, garlic, and soy sauce then fry it off with some cornflour for a crispy outside. There are also heaps of fake meat things that are actually getting pretty decent if you do find there's a meal you miss that has meat - Linda McCartney burgers and sausages are really nice.

Curry is absolutely the way to go for something you can throw together easily once you've had a few goes. A tin of chickpeas plus some garlic and spices is a dead easy daal, which you can have on its own or with rice or bread.

My partner and I decided to reduce our meat consumption and found that lots of veggie meals are incidentally vegan, or are easily made vegan by just not using cheese/butter/whatever. It doesn't take long to build up a new way of shopping and eating so I think you'll do just fine!

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I'm not vegan (or vegetarian for that matter) but I dated a vegan for about a year. Cooking vegan food at home is fun and delicious! We were constantly trying out new recipes, ect. It really changed my mind on how delicious properly cooked vegan food could be.

Eating out, however, was depressing. Granted this was 10 years ago, so I'm sure options have improved, but man oh man trying to do a date night out and finding a place to eat was a challenge. I remember there was only one decent vegan chinese place in our area at the time, otherwise restaurants just didn't have much, if anything at all that could be considered "vegan" on the menu.

I've noticed a lot more vegan options in recent years, so it seems like the situation has improved but yea, being able to eat out with friends who are not vegan was probably the biggest draw-back.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Yeah the hardest part about being a vegetarian is the lack of options in food places. Even my workplace cafeteria doesn't cater to us much, and if you want to get a bite to eat on the go then forget about it.
Generally you end up eating the same poo poo over.
Supermarkets are getting better at least but I hate to think how even harder being a vegan must be.

While I don't miss meat much at all, I live yet to find a good substitute recipe for mince beef.
Is kill for a vegetarian Bolognese with mince beef texture.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Yeah the hardest part about being a vegetarian is the lack of options in food places. Even my workplace cafeteria doesn't cater to us much, and if you want to get a bite to eat on the go then forget about it.
Generally you end up eating the same poo poo over.
Supermarkets are getting better at least but I hate to think how even harder being a vegan must be.

While I don't miss meat much at all, I live yet to find a good substitute recipe for mince beef.

Have you tried seitan? Try this recipe https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/03/vegan-bolognese-sauce-with-seitan-and-mushrooms.html

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

olives black posted:

how do I do it without becoming horribly deficient in Vitamin B-12/iron/wtf else I normally get from meat?
Let me try to go through this with no moralizing, just my best understanding of the science.

-If you can regularly see your doctor and have a complete blood panel done, do that and they'll advise you on what to do if you're deficient in any vitamins or minerals. Specifically tell them you're going vegan for personal reasons and want to make sure you're getting everything you need in case there are any tests they wouldn't otherwise do.

-Not sure what the deal is in other countries, but in the US you should see a Registered Dietitian because that is a regulated title indicating appropriate education and certification. Not a nutritionist, not a dietitian, only Registered Dietitian. Tell them you're going vegan and want to make sure your new diet includes all the nutrients you need. Licensed medical professionals with rules regarding patient health are the way to go.

-There are 8 essential B vitamins that you need to be mindful of that can easily be missed in a vegan diet, but a vegan diet can still provide all of them and you can supplement if you're deficient in anything (IIRC, there are a few conditions like Celiac Disease that make getting them from food sources impossible).

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Nutritional yeast is your friend for b12. also its great for making vegan cheese, pasta sauces, dressings, what have you.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Have you tried TVP? I dated a vegetarian for a while and used to make chili with it all the time. I think it would totally suit your needs in a pasta sauce.

I'm not even close to vegetarian and I still buy it, because it's so dead simple and cheap to make. Boil water (or stock/bouillon), pour on top, let sit. Tah-dah, tasty protein with a nice mouthfeel. We used it at the co-op deli I used to work for to make veggie chicken salad wraps, too.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

GWBBQ posted:

Let me try to go through this with no moralizing, just my best understanding of the science.

-If you can regularly see your doctor and have a complete blood panel done, do that and they'll advise you on what to do if you're deficient in any vitamins or minerals. Specifically tell them you're going vegan for personal reasons and want to make sure you're getting everything you need in case there are any tests they wouldn't otherwise do.

-Not sure what the deal is in other countries, but in the US you should see a Registered Dietitian because that is a regulated title indicating appropriate education and certification. Not a nutritionist, not a dietitian, only Registered Dietitian. Tell them you're going vegan and want to make sure your new diet includes all the nutrients you need. Licensed medical professionals with rules regarding patient health are the way to go.

-There are 8 essential B vitamins that you need to be mindful of that can easily be missed in a vegan diet, but a vegan diet can still provide all of them and you can supplement if you're deficient in anything (IIRC, there are a few conditions like Celiac Disease that make getting them from food sources impossible).

Yep, a trip to a licensed medical professional is definitely in my near future. Good to know that I need to hit up a Registered Dietitian, specifically. Thanks!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

clean ayers act posted:

Nutritional yeast is your friend for b12. also its great for making vegan cheese, pasta sauces, dressings, what have you.

Nutritional yeast does not contain B12 unless it's fortified. It's good as seasoning on pasta and popcorn and stuff. Best way to get B12 is a simple supplement pill. Get the generic stuff and it costs next to nothing.

https://veganhealth.org/vitamin-b12-vegan-sources/

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxs_mTRjLAU

This but unironically. Thanks Joji.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

So what you're saying is you're a dumb, judgmental shithead who is extremely bad at pretending not to be. Nice one big man.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Busting balls is all well and good, but if anyone's had a bad time health-wise going vegan then I'd still like to hear from you. Seeing only political whinging from the detractors has been reassuring, though. :laugh:

Squalid posted:

Something I noticed as I experimented with vegetarianism is that a lot of the things I cooked tasted blander than I hoped. What I realized is that without meat you have to pay extra attention to savory flavors. I recommend as you experiment with more dishes you pay extra attention to properly searing ingredients, getting caramelization going, and otherwise ensuring that the Maillard reaction occurs. If you don't already use broth start putting it in everything. It really makes a big difference.

Already pretty good with caramelization, so I have that going for me. Never really bothered with brothy dishes until a couple of nights ago when I cooked a quinoa dish, and hot drat have I been missing out.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

olives black posted:

Already pretty good with caramelization, so I have that going for me. Never really bothered with brothy dishes until a couple of nights ago when I cooked a quinoa dish, and hot drat have I been missing out.

If you're new to broth, check out Better Than Boullion brand. They make a number of varieties that are vegan, and pack a ton of flavor in them. They make a "Vegetarian Chicken-Flavored (*DOES NOT CONTAIN CHICKEN)" one that fooled my boss who's worked restaurants for years. I was in charge of soup of the day, and made a curry ginger carrot soup with it. I had to show her the jar when she didn't believe it was vegetarian.

The little jars look pricey, but you get a lot of bang for your buck.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Sorry for making a new post for this, but I said earlier that I was seeing only political whinging from detractors earlier and that wasn't exactly true:

zapplez posted:

Also vegans have a higher rate of mental illness, not sure if thats because many of them are vitamin deficient, or if its a self selecting group of depressed / low self esteem that choose to have alternative diets.

Got a source for this?

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Pulled it out their arse I'm gonna bet.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

olives black posted:

Sorry for making a new post for this, but I said earlier that I was seeing only political whinging from detractors earlier and that wasn't exactly true:

Got a source for this?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3466124/

https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201211/youre-vegetarian-have-you-lost-your-mind

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

quote:

there was no evidence for a causal role of vegetarian diet in the etiology of mental disorders.

uh huh

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

"Also vegans have a higher rate of mental illness, not sure if thats because many of them are vitamin deficient, or if its a self selecting group of depressed / low self esteem that choose to have alternative diets."

I am not going to convince anyone of anything in this thread, and I dont really care to anyways. I hope any recent vegan converts have good health results and have fun with it. Some of your friends will be jerks and judge you (like me, but I am an rear end).

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I have an acquaintance who is vegan and very vocal about it. He had several hospital stays because of massive malnutrition issues. He couldn’t cook for a long time and would only subsist of Red Bull for days at a time. He moved in with someone who can cook vegan now so he’s doing fine.

Going vegan is absolutely awesome and I fully support it but please make sure you can feed yourself before you try to do it.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

If you're new to broth, check out Better Than Boullion brand.
This is a good kind, I found it recently by chance and it's better than the various cubes and powders I had tried previously. And yeah, looks a little expensive on the face, but like a teaspoon of it is equivalent to a carton of vegetable stock, so the little jar is like 25 cartons, which makes it very reasonably priced compared to buying pre-mixed stock.

I realized nobody has asked the OP where they are - if for example you're in the UK rather than the US, Vecon is similar to Better Than Boullion, and Asda's own-brand powdered faux-sausage mix is great (if either of these products still exist, it's been years.)

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Here's a lazy-rear end vegan meal I enjoy. Get these fake scallops that are rather expensive at $6 a can but one can makes a meal for two reasonably-hungry people so it's not as bad as it seems. Heat a cast iron pan with a bit of olive oil in it to quite hot. Put a layer of the lumps in the pan. Sprinkle a bunch of turmeric and coriander on there, a lot, like cover them. Optionally a bit of salt/pepper/garlic powder/mushroom powder/chili powder. Cook for about 3 minutes so the outside is crispy, turn, cook for another three minutes, press them down occasionally. That's it. A bowl of tasty crispy bouncy things. You can put them in some fried rice or something or on a salad or whatever, but they're good just on their own.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

zapplez posted:

I am not going to convince anyone of anything in this thread, and I dont really care to anyways.

Thanks for your valuable input then.

What is it about veganism that makes every dickhead feel so entitled to an opinion?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
After like 3-4 years youll look at this post of me telling you the diet is bullshit and you'll be starving yourself and eating non digestible garbage and toxins.
Enjoy veganism!

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

redeyes posted:

After like 3-4 years youll look at this post of me telling you the diet is bullshit and you'll be starving yourself and eating non digestible garbage and toxins.
Enjoy veganism!

What was/were the non-digestable garbage/toxins that you ate? I'll try to avoid them.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Car tyres.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Haha holy poo poo, I've never seen anyone use the t-word regarding a vegan diet, I thought that brand of stupidity was limited to the reverse direction. Also the idea that fiber is bad for you is pretty hilarious.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I was vegan for over 10 years, never had B12/iron issues and did double red blood donations the entire time too (these require higher iron in your blood to ensure the process doesn't leave you anemic).

I love putting nutritional yeast on popcorn, it is great as B12 source.

My family makes this seitan recipe (upped to 4 logs) every week

http://yeahthatveganshit.blogspot.com/2007/04/infamous-seitan-recipe-o-greatness.html

For eating out as long as you're not going to Burger/steak houses there is usually at least one menu option at restaurants these days. In fact my restaurant orders are pretty static so I still eat vegan fairly often. Sometimes there are discounts for it, especially at pizza places.

Heck I think burger Kings have a veggie burger they make in the microwave these days, though I've never had it.

Fine dining for anniversaries or what have you is no problem either if you mention it while making the reservation. They're usually going to be very happy to do an X course meal where the most expensive ingredients are omitted, it drastically improves the margins for them.

I'm vegetarian these days mostly for cheese. That black Ash cheese looks promising though. I think I'll keep my eyes peeled for it at the grocery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

olives black posted:

What was/were the non-digestable garbage/toxins that you ate? I'll try to avoid them.

Vegetables. Grains. Those 2 things.

I'm not going to lecture you. I believe vegan diets are completely bullshit and you will do harm to your body. This video describes a vegan's journey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-01ONhCiwA

Fiber is bad for you. It is indigestible. Unless you like making GBS threads a lot I suppose. I don't eat vegetables in general unless they compliment meat. I am sure there are going to be plenty of people that say I am a loving idiot, and I may be. I still eat %95 meat and I can do things vegans cannot because I have more energy.

I ate healthy for most of my life, and it has done nothing but gently caress me up. My journey right now involves gaining weight and muscle that I lost my adult life because I was a loving idiot and tried to eat healthy (lots of veggies, minimal meat). It is working very well.

Long term vegans look like they are starving. They are skin and bones, have little muscle mass. Sunken eyes, dark circles, etc. Classic signs of malnutrition. The people that are hit the worse have little body fat and muscle to begin with.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 27, 2018