Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

redeyes posted:

Fiber is bad for you.

Wow he actually said it. If using the word "toxins" wasn't obvious enough, this really puts the final nail in the coffin for this guy who will be dead of colon cancer before he is 40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Lol at eating 95% meat. Isn't that the Jordan Peterson diet?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Honj Steak posted:

Lol at eating 95% meat. Isn't that the Jordan Peterson diet?

Sure is.

Why is fiber good for you if you can't digest it. Please let me know because I do not understand.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Wow he actually said it. If using the word "toxins" wasn't obvious enough, this really puts the final nail in the coffin for this guy who will be dead of colon cancer before he is 40.

What a stupid way of posting. Talk to me directly you goon. Toxins are compounds in vegetables they produce so animals don't eat them. I'm over 40 which you could have asked about.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 27, 2018

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

redeyes posted:

Vegetables. Grains. Those 2 things.

I'm not going to lecture you. I believe vegan diets are completely bullshit and you will do harm to your body. This video describes a vegan's journey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-01ONhCiwA

Fiber is bad for you. It is indigestible. Unless you like making GBS threads a lot I suppose. I don't eat vegetables in general unless they compliment meat. I am sure there are going to be plenty of people that say I am a loving idiot, and I may be. I still eat %95 meat and I can do things vegans cannot because I have more energy.

I ate healthy for most of my life, and it has done nothing but gently caress me up. My journey right now involves gaining weight and muscle that I lost my adult life because I was a loving idiot and tried to eat healthy (lots of veggies, minimal meat). It is working very well.

Long term vegans look like they are starving. They are skin and bones, have little muscle mass. Sunken eyes, dark circles, etc. Classic signs of malnutrition. The people that are hit the worse have little body fat and muscle to begin with.

There is literally no way you are for real.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Blacknose posted:

There is literally no way you are for real.

What a fun bunch of vegans.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Veganism is not personally my cup of tea, but a diet that's 95% meat sounds loving disgusting and awful in a way that veganism doesn't, and I say that as someone who really loves meat and animal products.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

redeyes posted:

What a fun bunch of vegans.

Uh I'm not vegan, the fact of the matter is that there are obnoxious and pathetic people who are vegans and there are obnoxious and pathetic people who eat meat. I have no particular stake in the dietary choice either way, but I do dislike obnoxious and pathetic people. Guess which category you fit in.

But either way there's no way I'm getting sucked into talking to a JP cult member in any context outside of making fun of them.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I dont know much about Peterson. I don't follow people on the internet.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Have you considered logging off

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Liquid Cannibalism posted:

Try cooking professionally. You will understand the eye rolls rapidly when someone comes into a fast casual beer and burgers place, asks if you have anything vegan, and screams at your host because the place where 99% of the food comes off the grill or out of the fryer doesn't have vegan menu options that dont share cooking utensils with meat.

Late but

fuckin lol, worked at loads of places professionally, been vegan, hung out with vegans, never once experienced this poo poo.

Vegans will happily munch on raw celery in salsa or whatever if there's no reasonable menu option, and tend to just prepare to not eat out. We're not clueless assholes who show up at a wing bar and then scream because there's no vegan entree.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 28, 2018

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
A bunch of idiots in this thread with poo poo opinions that hate on vegans. I’ve been vegan for 5 years.

1. The militant vegan stereotype is just an imaginary straw man. I’ve worked in food industry and never experienced it. I’ve lived in NYC and the PNW, ostensibly where that stereotype would be most present.

2. Vegan diet is much healthier than an animal based diet. Many meats are literal carcinogens in addition to causing a bunch of other health issues. Google permutations of United Nations, World Health Organization, meat, and cancer.

3. A vegan diet is better morally. Even if we toss aside the hosed up concept of raising an animal to slaughter and often having those animals live in awful conditions, it’s still a morally superior diet. Because....

4. A plant based diet is, by magnitudes, much better for the environment. It takes much less energy and produces much less waste to feed people plants than to feed them meat.

In conclusion, veganism is better for you, better for the environment, and certainly better for the animals.

Dumbass men tie their identity into how much meat they eat and it’s pathetic and self destructive.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

A bunch of idiots in this thread with poo poo opinions that hate on vegans. I’ve been vegan for 5 years.

1. The militant vegan stereotype is just an imaginary straw man. I’ve worked in food industry and never experienced it. I’ve lived in NYC and the PNW, ostensibly where that stereotype would be most present.

2. Vegan diet is much healthier than an animal based diet. Many meats are literal carcinogens in addition to causing a bunch of other health issues. Google permutations of United Nations, World Health Organization, meat, and cancer.

3. A vegan diet is better morally. Even if we toss aside the hosed up concept of raising an animal to slaughter and often having those animals live in awful conditions, it’s still a morally superior diet. Because....

4. A plant based diet is, by magnitudes, much better for the environment. It takes much less energy and produces much less waste to feed people plants than to feed them meat.

1. Overall this is true, they are pretty rare

2. This isn't true. Top level athletes benefit from being able to eat meat protein as well as a high fruit/veg/nut diet. The healthiest you could be is making all types of foods available to your diet.
https://www.medicaldaily.com/omnivores-vs-herbivores-how-meat-consumption-affects-our-health-322560
"“vegetarians are in a poorer state of health compared to the other dietary groups,” the authors wrote.

3. This is arguable. Do I feel more ethically OK about a chicken living a lovely life in cramped quarters, or more for the 10 mexican farmhands picking soy beans for 10 cents an hour?

4. This is true, it takes way less resources to make some Soy than some Beef. Although the ideal use of all of our land isn't plant based only, as there is much land that is good for pasture and bad for produce.

"So why isn’t vegan the most efficient of all? Because some kinds of land just aren’t suitable for crops, but they can sustain grazing. If you stop raising animals on these lands, then that land goes to waste."

https://www.fastcompany.com/3062238/a-vegan-diet-is-less-efficient-for-the-planet-than-an-omnivorous-one

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 28, 2018

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

zapplez posted:

3. This is arguable. Do I feel more ethically OK about a chicken living a lovely life in cramped quarters, or more for the 10 mexican farmhands picking soy beans for 10 cents an hour?
What do you think chickens eat (other than ground up other chickens)? It's mostly soy and corn, grown by the same people that grow soy and corn for humans!
Guess how much soy and corn they have to grow to feed one human X amount of corn and soy, vs. how much they have to grow to feed one human X amount of chicken that was fed corn and soy?

quote:

"So why isn’t vegan the most efficient of all? Because some kinds of land just aren’t suitable for crops, but they can sustain grazing. If you stop raising animals on these lands, then that land goes to waste."
True, if you eat animals raised on that kind of land you are arguably doing more environmental good than vegans.
You don't.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

roomforthetuna posted:

True, if you eat animals raised on that kind of land you are arguably doing more environmental good than vegans.
You don't.

Actually I do. I am surrounded by where I live in Canada with land that is only good for Beef pasture and can't grow any cash crops, but it has enough will grass and hay to support the cows without supplement. Quality organic beef with sustainable land. Cows that live a much better life than if they were wild. Seems like a pretty good deal for everyone.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 28, 2018

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

zapplez posted:

Actually I do. I am surrounded by where I live in Canada with land that is only good for Beef pasture and can't grow any cash crops, but it has enough will grass and hay to support the cows without supplement. Quality organic beef with sustainable land. Cows that live a much better life than if they were wild. Seems like a pretty good deal for everyone.
I tentatively believe everything in this statement, but I don't believe that is the only meat you eat.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

zapplez posted:

Yeah grew up in that same land in Texas. Moved to Canada. Not been to the prairies but actually gotten sustainable meat in Ontario.

Guess what? Most of your meat isn't from that. Most beef that americans and canadians eat isn't from that. Most beef harvested in the US and Canada isn't from that. Most beef harvested in the world isn't. It's factory-farmed. And beef has one of the best factory-to-pasture ratios.

There is land that is only suited for herding. Do you get angry about vegans? Then guaranteed your meat is not all from those lands. If it was, which would require you either being a rancher or being very enthusiastic about free-range meat, which you clearly are not, you'd offer something constructive? If you gave a poo poo you'd be suggesting options to obtain that beef, goat, or lamb from an independent farmer instead of screeding on pasture and "organic" meat. Particularly given you don't know where the OP is? Do you think there is pristine prairie just outside of NYC to obtain free-range local beef? Do you have any suggestion beyond "technically there is land better suited for herding so you are an idiot?"

If you think your organic supermarket steaks are from local Alberta pasture or whatever then lol.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 28, 2018

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

zapplez posted:

https://www.fastcompany.com/3062238/a-vegan-diet-is-less-efficient-for-the-planet-than-an-omnivorous-one

This is just horseshit. Even livestock that graze can only graze for part of the year. The rest of the year they have to be cared for and fed by people.

Here in Iceland, sheep are released into the communal highlands in the spring, and herded back to stay in barns for the winter. Those sheep are wild animals that take care of themselves for six months of the year. The Ministry of Agriculture here did a study on the CO2 emissions for every kilogram of lamb meat raised here, and found that the emissions were on average about six times more than those of a kilogram of imported vegetables. And these are probably some of the most eco-friendly livestock on the planet.

Now obviously a kilogram of meat is more nutritious than a kilogram of potatoes or whatever, but even on the extreme end of eco-friendly, grazing livestock, in a place where you have to import the majority of human-edible vegetables across the loving Atlantic, the meat is hugely less CO2 efficient than the vegetables.

And even if you live in a place where livestock graze, this produces a tiny portion of the meat you buy in your grocery store. The rest will be factory farmed.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I like how in a thread where a dude just asked about the practical bits of going vegan, about half the posts are from dudes barging in to convince vegans that no, they're actually dumb assholes.

Maybe, just maybe, the obnoxious vegan stereotype is just a load of projection. :thunk:

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

roomforthetuna posted:

I tentatively believe everything in this statement, but I don't believe that is the only meat you eat.

Of course I am not exclusive to only ethical meat. I really wish I had the time where I would never be stuck picking up chicken mcnuggets for my kids or a roast chicken on sale from Loblaws.

But considering I do buy a quarter cow at a time for my deep freeze, free range chickens from down the road and real farm fresh eggs, most of my meat consumed at home is "ethical".

It doesn't make me any better of a person than the poor family who really cant give a poo poo if their meat is cared for well or not.

Geisladisk posted:

I like how in a thread where a dude just asked about the practical bits of going vegan, about half the posts are from dudes barging in to convince vegans that no, they're actually dumb assholes.

Maybe, just maybe, the obnoxious vegan stereotype is just a load of projection. :thunk:

I thought the OP was asking what to expect about the whole thing. I tried to be honest and say a lot of your non-vegan friends will judge you or think you are naive. It seems a lot of people feel this way, right or wrong.

I am pretty sure in 1000 years us meat eaters will looks like real buffoons to the star trekkians

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 28, 2018

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is a good article pretty much about I see the whole thing

https://www.thestar.com/life/2017/04/10/why-eating-vegetarian-may-not-be-the-most-ethical-diet.html

Just don't go into veganism thinking you are magically an ethical consumer as you use an Iphone and eat avocados and chocolate bars. If you are aware you are still an unehtical consumer and you do veganism for health/taste/allergy etc reasons, all the power to you.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

zapplez posted:

I thought the OP was asking what to expect about the whole thing. I tried to be honest and say a lot of your non-vegan friends will judge you or think you are naive. It seems a lot of people feel this way, right or wrong.

I am pretty sure in 1000 years us meat eaters will looks like real buffoons to the star trekkians

"Hey everybody, highly obnoxious people will be obnoxious about your diet, and I'm proof!"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

zapplez posted:

This is a good article pretty much about I see the whole thing

https://www.thestar.com/life/2017/04/10/why-eating-vegetarian-may-not-be-the-most-ethical-diet.html

Just don't go into veganism thinking you are magically an ethical consumer as you use an Iphone and eat avocados and chocolate bars. If you are aware you are still an unehtical consumer and you do veganism for health/taste/allergy etc reasons, all the power to you.

you plebs vote in elections and donate to charity but in fact, there is no ethical consumption under capitalism heh

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Human Tornada posted:

"Hey everybody, highly obnoxious people will be obnoxious about your diet, and I'm proof!"

For real.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

ChairMaster posted:

While redeyes definitely comes off badly itt and I'm skeptical about his idea of healthy eating, I think we should approach his ideas with a little more humility.

I used to believe that basically everybody's body worked exactly the same, and therefore there must be a kind of optimal diet that would be best for everyone. However in the last few decades a lot of modern medical research has found that actually, people can have very different nutritional needs, and therefore there is no one size fits all diet.

Celiacs disease and persistent lactose tolerance are the most well known examples of how genetics can influence what makes a healthy diet. However there is also increasing evidence of many more differences in the way both individuals and entire populations process different micro and macro-nutrients like fat and vitamin D.

The medical consensus on these issues is continuing to evolve, but its pretty clear there are a lot of problems with making blanket assumptions about what's healthy. If redeyes diet makes him feel better, I say let him eat it. If he's going to barge in here though and start spouting weird stuff about toxins and denouncing fiber, he should probably justify it though.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Some dumbass who probably paid zero attention to keeping his diet adequate feeling better when he starts eating a bunch of meat is not relevant in any way to veganism, and someone literally trying to tell you that fiber is bad for you is not an "everyone's different" scenario. There is absolutely no reason to entertain that kind of stupidity.

Also you're heading directly to the dumbass "eat according to your blood type" pseudoscience, and the difference in nutrient receptivity is nowhere near large enough to justify an idiotic 95% meat diet. That guy is going to die of colon cancer.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

ChairMaster posted:

Some dumbass who probably paid zero attention to keeping his diet adequate feeling better when he starts eating a bunch of meat is not relevant in any way to veganism, and someone literally trying to tell you that fiber is bad for you is not an "everyone's different" scenario. There is absolutely no reason to entertain that kind of stupidity.

Also you're heading directly to the dumbass "eat according to your blood type" pseudoscience, and the difference in nutrient receptivity is nowhere near large enough to justify an idiotic 95% meat diet. That guy is going to die of colon cancer.

Like I said, I'm not going to defend that guy who doesn't come off as very knowledgeable. If you think pointing out people have different dietary needs is pseudoscience though, you're wrong.

http://science.sciencemag.org/conte...6QmbmcKJk-uiz5Q

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "justify" a 95% meat diet. Of course it is perfectly possible to live a normal life eating in that manner. The question is really over whether or not it will result in the average person living ten or so years more or less, or having an extra few pounds of muscle than someone on another diet. What we are increasingly coming to understand is the way each of us differ from the "average" person, and how these differences impact the optimal diet for our goals.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I ate beans once and later that day, I started feeling strange. Then, finally, I go to the toilet ready to puke and start peeing this smelly, semi-solid brown stuff out of my rear end!

And they say fiber is “good for you”, lol

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

zapplez posted:

1. Overall this is true, they are pretty rare

2. This isn't true. Top level athletes benefit from being able to eat meat protein as well as a high fruit/veg/nut diet. The healthiest you could be is making all types of foods available to your diet.
https://www.medicaldaily.com/omnivores-vs-herbivores-how-meat-consumption-affects-our-health-322560
"“vegetarians are in a poorer state of health compared to the other dietary groups,” the authors wrote.

4. This is true, it takes way less resources to make some Soy than some Beef. Although the ideal use of all of our land isn't plant based only, as there is much land that is good for pasture and bad for produce.

They are thankfully vanishingly rare, but hell if they aren't memorable. Much preferred doing baked goods for a local coffee shop with a vegan menu at a later job, they were chill and it was easy to meet their recipe requests.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Here's my question: would vegans in the future eat synthetic meat if it's very far removed from any live animal? Like it's some completely man-made protein grown in a facility but still eats like a meat.

Edit: and I guess this synthetic meat did come from at least one animal originally

Kritzkrieg Kop fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 30, 2018

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Here's my question: would vegans in the future eat synthetic meat if it's very far removed from any live animal? Like it's some completely man-made protein grown in a facility but still eats like a meat.

Edit: and I guess this synthetic meat did come from at least one animal originally
So long as the original animal is a human, sure.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Vegans who don't eat meat because they think it's morally wrong mostly would, except the ones who are also stupid and afraid of science.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

JUST Meat has produced chicken meat from cells they took from a feather shed by a chicken. There's a video of them eating the first batch of nuggets while the chicken is walking around at their feet, and he's now living in a domestic fowl sanctuary where he'll be taken care of and not eaten.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 31, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

JUST Meat has produced chicken meat from cells they took from a feather shed by a chicken. There's a video of them eating the first batch of nuggets while the chicken is walking around at their feet, and he's now living in a domestic fowl sanctuary where he'll be taken care of and not eaten.

I'm not seeing the moral difference between raising an animal to eat, and raising an animal's cells to eat, myself, but whatever suits their personal ethics and gets them their tendies.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

I'm not seeing the moral difference between raising an animal to eat, and raising an animal's cells to eat, myself, but whatever suits their personal ethics and gets them their tendies.

If you don't differentiate between cells without a brain and organisms with a brain that can experience suffering...

Do you not have a problem with like people who torture cats or whatever? Is that no different to you than stepping on an insect? Or washing your hands to kill bacteria? You literally believe all non-human life is of equal value?

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

That is pretty much the logical end-state from "abortion is murder".

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ChairMaster posted:

If you don't differentiate between cells without a brain and organisms with a brain that can experience suffering...

Do you not have a problem with like people who torture cats or whatever? Is that no different to you than stepping on an insect? Or washing your hands to kill bacteria? You literally believe all non-human life is of equal value?

I definitely have a problem with people who torture animals. I also don't conflate ethical farming practices with animal torture, and see no viable difference between a humanely slaughtered animal and lab-grown animal tissue from a cruelty standpoint.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

I definitely have a problem with people who torture animals. I also don't conflate ethical farming practices with animal torture, and see no viable difference between a humanely slaughtered animal and lab-grown animal tissue from a cruelty standpoint.

I do. But, I'll agree with you for the sake of argument.

Even if we assume that humane rearing and slaughter is as moral as the cultivation of cells that have zero capacity to suffer, for a multitude of reasons, it's simply not scalable.

There's no way that all conventionally raised meat could reach that standard if we're going to feed all of the meat eaters in the world. This way however, if it works, has no possibility of causing any sort of suffering in the animals that generate the meat.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

roomforthetuna posted:

That is pretty much the logical end-state from "abortion is murder".

what in the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

This is a pretty bizarre thing to believe, but even if it made sense it's incredibly misguided to think that the world's meat demand can be met ethically, even by the loose standards involved in this post.