Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

DicktheCat posted:

converse loudly on speakerphone..
That was normalized the very minute reality tv started up and the principals needed to use speakerphone so the boom guy could pick up the other party.

It happened virtually overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DicktheCat posted:

I just don't get the mindset of intentionally being disruptive. Why?
I have to prove that I'm the protagonist of reality through whatever petty means are available to me.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Remulak posted:

That was normalized the very minute reality tv started up and the principals needed to use speakerphone so the boom guy could pick up the other party.

It happened virtually overnight.

It's very weird, because people will talk about very personal things this way, then act like employees are in the wrong for having to exist in the vicinity of whatever place they walked into.

Or worse, they'll do something requiring interacting with an employee, and not stop their other conversation. I don't know about other places, but there's a real issue in the US where "service with a smile" has turned working with the public into a dehumanizing grind.

A manager at a shoe store almost cried in relief when I told him that it was ok they didn't have my size in the pair I first liked, because it's only shoes! He was ready to run himself ragged over some shoes that didn't exist!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

DicktheCat posted:

Why are dudes like this? It could just be my luck, but it always seems to be men in specific that do the speaker thing with music, while women seem to just converse loudly on speakerphone when they're rude with sound. Working with the public in any capacity became much worse with the advent of speakerphone on cell phones and affordable bluetooth speakers.

I just don't get the mindset of intentionally being disruptive. Why?

the lovely old lady in the train bunk below me who thought it made sense to blast muslim devotional music at 2am begs to differ. i grant not being entirely familiar with the expected etiquette of overnight platzkart trains, but i was surprised that none of the surrounding locals told her to knock it off

"i didn't bring headphones and i do not care" is unfortunately a fairly universal phenomenon

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I used to work with a lot of college students, and in my experience, men are more likely to watch sports on their phone with no earbuds and no regard for the fact that they're sitting outside someone's office or classroom. I don't get the impression that they're doing it deliberately, they're just too up themselves to care.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 24, 2023

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Men used to sit around listening to the game on little transistor radios; presumably this is an evolution of that. No excuses for not using earbuds these days, though.

Rabe Radbury
Dec 12, 2019
I was at the help desk and about to help someone with his phone. He noticed the screen was dirty so he brought it up to his face and LICKED the screen, rubbed his spit around with a sock from his pocket, and handed it to me.

Yes I took it. I figure I've touched much worse in the library without knowing it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Rabe Radbury posted:

I was at the help desk and about to help someone with his phone. He noticed the screen was dirty so he brought it up to his face and LICKED the screen, rubbed his spit around with a sock from his pocket, and handed it to me.

Yes I took it. I figure I've touched much worse in the library without knowing it.

That might be the most disgusting thing I have ever read. How degrading.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

therobit posted:

That might be the most disgusting thing I have ever read. How degrading.

Right? Having to help someone use their phone? I would've told the guy "sorry I don't work for Apple/Samsung/T-Mobile/whatever"

(Joking ofc friends, that sounded gross af. But yeah, I hated when folks would expect me to fix their laptops, and I would straight up refuse. Unfortunately some of my coworkers were softies, would oblige, and set a bad precedent for "oh sure I'll look at it" that some patrons then came to expect the next time it was riddled with malware. I can only imagine how much y'all gotta deal with it 10 years later when everyone has a smartphone.)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i hate how sooo many important things still dont have mobile versions of their websites.

oh and mobile sites are still crappy and then do things like request pdf downloads or other things that are still best done with a real computer.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

i hate how sooo many important things still dont have mobile versions of their websites.

oh and mobile sites are still crappy and then do things like request pdf downloads or other things that are still best done with a real computer.

Oof, I see your points, and my post looks pretty dickish now. I apologize. You're right, I've tried to get through government assistance sites and the like when I was homeless and relied on my phone, and it sucked.

The frame of reference I had when I made the post was the patrons who wanted me to figure out why they couldn't access iTunes or something on their phone that cost more than my monthly pay.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

the lovely old lady in the train bunk below me who thought it made sense to blast muslim devotional music at 2am begs to differ. i grant not being entirely familiar with the expected etiquette of overnight platzkart trains, but i was surprised that none of the surrounding locals told her to knock it off

"i didn't bring headphones and i do not care" is unfortunately a fairly universal phenomenon

1) my post is only about working with the public in the USA, specifically the east coast.

2) It's a bit mystifying that people scramble to defend the honor of men they don't know when a person who's borne the brunt of their consistent and likely culturally ingrained disregard notes the pattern. The point wasn't that women never do this rude behavior, the point was men seem to do it more, and the consequences for asking them to stop are often violent.

This derail sucks, it's tedious and draining.

Does anyone have a weird story about libraries? Like, what do you do if someone returns a book that's really gross, like their cat peed on it, do you ban them? Do people try to bring animals into the library a lot?

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

DicktheCat posted:

Like, what do you do if someone returns a book that's really gross, like their cat peed on it, do you ban them?
You withdraw it and bill them for it. Pro-tip: hang onto the withdrawn book until they pay for it in case they want to dispute it

DicktheCat posted:

Do people try to bring animals into the library a lot?
Yeah but if you tell them not to they just go "well it's a service animal", so nothing you can really do about it, at least where I've worked

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I use disinfectant wipes on books that need it. I can tell some of our patrons smoke, because I have to clean the ash and smoke smell off the covers. Smelly cat books get aired out for a few days and the returner a stern talking to. Please don't do that.

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD

DicktheCat posted:

We have some guy that would bring his unleashed pitbull, but apparently it's legal and fine because it's well trained. I think it growled at some kid that got too close and can't come back though.

There's also a lady that would bring her weird little dog, which has since been banned for pissing and making GBS threads all over the floor while she talked to customer service on multiple occasions. She keeps trying to bring it in, and when she gets called out tries to pull a "oh, no, it's fine, I'm just here for a few minutes to use the bathroom"

At some point somebody put a healthy kitten in the outdoor book return, which got taken by one of our staff that works at a rescue center.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Waffle! posted:

I use disinfectant wipes on books that need it. I can tell some of our patrons smoke, because I have to clean the ash and smoke smell off the covers. Smelly cat books get aired out for a few days and the returner a stern talking to. Please don't do that.

Kitty litter works for absorbing all manner of strange smells!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

My favorite is when someone takes one of our hardbacks out to the beach and there’s sand in the plastic wrap-around.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

DicktheCat posted:

This derail sucks, it's tedious and draining.

You're quoting a month old post to say the derail sucks, from a conversation from almost three months ago.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Tippecanoe posted:

Yeah but if you tell them not to they just go "well it's a service animal", so nothing you can really do about it, at least where I've worked

Under the ADA, you may ask if the animal is required for a disability and you may ask what tasks it has been trained to do that assists with that disability.

You may not ask if the reasons are obvious (say, they're blind with a dog assisting them), but I assume it wouldn't be a problem for you if it was. You may not ask about the person's disability. You may not ask for proof outside of the above two questions. They aren't required to wear any sort of identification. You may not ask for the animal to demonstrate the task. However, if the person says it is an emotional support animal, then it is not covered by the ADA and they have no protections under it. Just the above two questions and that's it, and err on the side of trusting them unless they make it clear it doesn't actually qualify as a service animal.

Service animals must be "under control at all times", which means on a leash with very few exceptions, almost entirely related to disabilities that prevent the owner from using a leash.

Service animals must be "trained" for their task, though that's very broad. There's no certification or official trainers or whatever. You can train a service animal yourself and it would be covered by the ADA. In some places, like California, it's a misdemeanor to lie about whether an animal is a service animal. California has many more rules related to service and emotional support animals, if that's relevant to you. In all cases though, the animal must non-disruptive or the owner may be asked to leave. A hotel can't charge an extra cleaning fee for dog hair, but they can charge the owner if the dog chews up some furniture because that's disruptive and not under control. In a library, disruptions would include making loud noises or making messes.

On the other hand, if your boss says don't bother people with dogs, then that's on them. But please don't blame the ADA. The ADA is really important and good and you still have some recourse if someone is misappropriating it. Personally, I'm pretty okay with someone getting away with it as long as people with disabilities aren't getting shafted.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 23, 2023

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Triskelli posted:

My favorite is when someone takes one of our hardbacks out to the beach and there’s sand in the plastic wrap-around.

Reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7PRKcVD9K8

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

I'm Canadian, and plus I'm speaking more to our policy, rather than the laws here. I assure you I have no interest in taking down the ADA

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I can get an itchy trigger finger about the topic, but you did express annoyance about disability accessibility in a way that implied you didn’t trust it was being utilized in good faith.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 23, 2023

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Tippecanoe posted:

DicktheCat posted:

pffff, one guy does this once a month in my library.

its because he does a legit program with the library, reading books to service dogs. its technically for kids, but it just lists the lower bound for ages.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

PhazonLink posted:

, reading books to service dogs. its technically for kids, but it just lists the lower bound for ages.

I'm delighted and confused. Are you saying that a person comes to the library every month and reads books to a group of service animals? You mention a lower bound for ages - does that mean the books are written for YA or older? Are the owners of the service animals also present - and are they children?

I'm giggling imagining a group of a dozen animals, mostly dogs but a few other species, listening in rapt attention as a kindly older gentlemen reads aloud from a Dean Koontz airport thriller while no other humans are present.

fake edit: I threw most of that at Microsoft's AI and this is my favourite of the images it generated: https://www.bing.com/images/create/...e=1&form=SYDBIC

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I appreciate the choice of author there :v:

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

ExecuDork posted:

I'm delighted and confused. Are you saying that a person comes to the library every month and reads books to a group of service animals? You mention a lower bound for ages - does that mean the books are written for YA or older? Are the owners of the service animals also present - and are they children?

I'm giggling imagining a group of a dozen animals, mostly dogs but a few other species, listening in rapt attention as a kindly older gentlemen reads aloud from a Dean Koontz airport thriller while no other humans are present.

As amusing as this is and after that description I kind of what for it to be true, sadly, that is not the program I think PhazonLink was referring to. Many libraries have a program where kids and other people who want to practice reading can sit down and read out loud to a non-judgmental service animal. It's a way for them to feel more comfortable because they know that the dog is not going to judge them like a teacher or a parent. But it's also just fun and adorable and comforting.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

This implies the existence of judgmental service animals and I'm keen to see examples

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

My Lovely Horse posted:

This implies the existence of judgmental service animals and I'm keen to see examples

Cats. They watch, and they judge. Few are worthy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Waffle! posted:

Cats. They watch, and they judge. Few are worthy.

That's why they aren't common service animals.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Only dogs and miniature horses can be service animals.

Judgemental-rear end miniature horses.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

a friendly penguin posted:

As amusing as this is and after that description I kind of what for it to be true, sadly, that is not the program I think PhazonLink was referring to. Many libraries have a program where kids and other people who want to practice reading can sit down and read out loud to a non-judgmental service animal. It's a way for them to feel more comfortable because they know that the dog is not going to judge them like a teacher or a parent. But it's also just fun and adorable and comforting.

Aww yeah we had a monthly program like that called Paws to Read! Kids could bring whatever book they wanted and would read aloud to the service doggies. It was really heartwarming to see kids excitedly checking out more books so they could be ready for the next month. :3:

Of course you had the whackadoos that thought they could bring in any dog, and it was my job to tell them "sorry but hard nope". I had enough fun vacuuming that carpet after having a dozen dogs in that meeting room, I don't need your untrained inbreed taking a poo poo in there or worse, snapping at a child.

Kinda had the same folks when Virginia Living Museum or the aforementioned Snakes Alive dude came. People would see a flier saying we were going to have animals and would think "oh, I should bring my turtle/iguana/parrot!" Sorry lady, the boa has got to go.

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hi goons!

I am helping to build a library for my School which had no central library. The problem that I am currently having is how to display oversized children’s books. I currently have some standard bookshelves and I need ideas. I dont have a picture handy, but they are standard double stacked shelves about waist high.

Could i get some suggestions please?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Small table(s) and/or angled book stands are the first thing that comes to mind. How many of them are there, how heavy are they, and what's the age range?

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Heavy enougn to knock my bookends i tried over. I like the small tables idea. I need kinder kids to be able to grab them. Should I get some displays made of plastic?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm thinking they're not likely to stay in a neat display for very long so you might as well just lay them out on the tables. Or maybe put them in some crates or boxes so the kids can flip through and look at the covers and pull them out, like records.

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I was told boxes would not be allowed. Lying books flat should be ok.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Erainor posted:

Hi goons!

I am helping to build a library for my School which had no central library. The problem that I am currently having is how to display oversized children’s books. I currently have some standard bookshelves and I need ideas. I dont have a picture handy, but they are standard double stacked shelves about waist high.

Could i get some suggestions please?

Demco makes book display easels.
https://www.demco.com/demco-reg-economical-all-purpose-wire-easels

You can also get similar ones at the dollar store where they keep the picture frames. They won't work for super thick picture books but if you've got the 9x9 squares those should work fine.

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Thanks to everyone who replied so far! I am keeping all these ideas in mind when i get back to the library to work on it next.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Today, I'm the weirdo in the library.

I found a 3-piece stereo at the local salvage-from-landfill shop for next to free, and brought it into my university office to pump out the sound from my computer during long boring Zoom meetings where I just sit back and watch the talking heads. And, occasionally listen to music - if the offices next to mine are empty (walls are thin). Anyway, I don't yet have the cable needed to connect it to my computer but I wanted to test it so I went to the university library and found a couple of CDs.

After I found the disks, I sat down at a library computer to look for a book or two - I'm interested in Australian popular music (one of the disks is Disk 1 of a 5-disk set of greatest Australian hits of the second half of the 20th century) and I was hoping to find something to read when I don't feel like working. Everything was online only, so I'll read them online or download the PDFs at my office. Oh well, I'll check these two disks out.

The self-checkout is gone. I went to the desk, and the librarian checked me out. She had to type in the numbers on my staff card, and then type in each barcode number on the backs of the CD cases. No scanner. I assume there is a scanner somewhere, she just didn't feel like setting it up for one person with two items. I also assume that very few people borrow physical items at this university library anymore.

I felt like a time-traveller - borrowing CDs for a 20-year-old stereo and actually walking across campus to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I've been wanting to check out Prince of Tides from the local library, but I don't have a LaserDisc player.