Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Halloween Jack posted:

This is so unbelievably silly.

What's silly about it? The Final Fantasy 7 house is an example of Narrativism occurring more or less in a political vacuum. If Narrativism can occur in a completely apolitical context then the behavior itself is not political in nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

BOOSness Hammocks posted:

There’s always a bedrock of people ready to go fascist and hang others from lampposts, but there have to be causal explanations for why they sometimes sit and stew in the living room and sometimes put on helmets and march around. The nazis out in the streets now we’re pretty much the same people ten years ago.

Trump wasn’t just an authoritarian pied piper, though he may well have been that. But this wasn’t his first run for president.

There is of course some truth to this, but on the other hand there is a sizable portion of the American populace that has been converted and militarized over the last 20 or so years by Rightwing media. We can point to 9/11, Fox News, AM talk radio, internet community (as a concept), the Great Recession, intensifying wealth inequality, or all of these, but everyone knows a few people who were largely apolitical that have become goose-steppers in that time period. I don't buy the "they were always Nazis" argument, especially given that many of these people are very young.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

This is so unbelievably silly.

cult behavior can arise from really silly reasons but that doesn't make a leader's collecting of thralls frivolous

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Part of it has to do with how you define “politics.”. Like that can specifically mean how formal powers are divided in governing a nation and how people in democracies vote, but politics itself as an object of study starts with how a household is ordered (according to the Greeks).

The impulses that people have about what kind of social order is allowed and who belongs and what kinds of questions or activities are permitted are themselves political, no matter whether or how they are expressed by leaders or laws or institutions.

And whatever we’re saying about the kind of person who’s eager to go nazi, nazis only become a threat when “regular” conservatives go along with it out of self-interestedness or the belief that they can take advantage of what’s happening (or that they can only survive by latching into it). imo material conditions dictate those formative moments and there’s not a way around it. There weren’t fascists taking control in the 70s even though the authoritarians were absolutely losing their poo poo over black kids being in their schools and women having jobs, and sorting themselves into the Republican Party in the process.

The whole 80s-90s culture war never went “hot” as it were the way things are boiling over now, outside of some militia groups robbing banks and running drugs. Something’s different, and I don’t see how it can be tied up in the psychology of white boomers who were here the whole time.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

And historically there have been cults that formed around every drat thing one think of. Is a video game weirder than sexy geometry? They all promise to let one know who one is and ones place in the universe.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
1. Even when a fully trained PhD academic starts littering their article with neologisms or newly coined buzzwords it usually feels unearned and annoying.

2. It's not a good sign when somebody's developed theory doesn't seem to engage at all with any existing body of research, or only engages with such research in a superficial and opportunistic manner.

If you were writing a thesis on this topic one of the first things you'd be asked to conduct would be a literature review in which, after identifying the scope and topic of your research, you would describe what the current scholarly trends in the field are and locate your own ideas within the context of other researchers. You'd have to give a bit of context for your work and explain how your own thinking relates to the theories and research of others.

Serious scholarship is heavily focused on plugging your own ideas into a larger framework of research, and of locating yourself within long running arguments and debates that often span decades. Its not a purely solitary endeavor where you cloister yourself away, do a lot of thinking and research in isolation (or with your internet friends) and then come down from the mountain top to share your visions. You really gotta put in the work of actually linking your thoughts with what other people have said because 1) it lets you know when you've just accidentally invented a cruder version of an existing theory and 2) it hopefully forces you to constantly test your ideas and actually introduces some amount of rigour into your work.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Unzip and Attack posted:

There is of course some truth to this, but on the other hand there is a sizable portion of the American populace that has been converted and militarized over the last 20 or so years by Rightwing media. We can point to 9/11, Fox News, AM talk radio, internet community (as a concept), the Great Recession, intensifying wealth inequality, or all of these, but everyone knows a few people who were largely apolitical that have become goose-steppers in that time period. I don't buy the "they were always Nazis" argument, especially given that many of these people are very young.

It’s definitely not an either/or, but why were those racist kids spending so much time on 4Chan after 2008? Their narrative is that the culture changes too fast and demands that they be less racist than they are comfortable being, but there are boomer shitheads in my family still mad about the end of segregation and who believe white supremacy is a founding ideal of the United States who never contemplated shooting up a mall or bombing city hall and just lived their lives as middle-class drones. I never even knew what shits they were until Trump let them know it was ok to be that way.

So I kind of feel like if the young nazis of today were distracted by building careers and paying for houses, they would never have moved into the “active nazi” category.

But you’re right that it’s very much an open circle and people gravitate to what radicalizes them as they get a taste for being radicalized. I definitely think that social media and algorithms are extremely powerful and dangerous to us in ways we don’t understand, and that future generations will look at us playing with them so carelessly in the same way we look at radium water or those x-ray shoe-fitting stations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Something’s different, and I don’t see how it can be tied up in the psychology of white boomers who were here the whole time.

The larger story is breaking down. People are opting to participate in other stories.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Helsing posted:

1. Even when a fully trained PhD academic starts littering their article with neologisms or newly coined buzzwords it usually feels unearned and annoying.

2. It's not a good sign when somebody's developed theory doesn't seem to engage at all with any existing body of research, or only engages with such research in a superficial and opportunistic manner.

If you were writing a thesis on this topic one of the first things you'd be asked to conduct would be a literature review in which, after identifying the scope and topic of your research, you would describe what the current scholarly trends in the field are and locate your own ideas within the context of other researchers. You'd have to give a bit of context for your work and explain how your own thinking relates to the theories and research of others.

Serious scholarship is heavily focused on plugging your own ideas into a larger framework of research, and of locating yourself within long running arguments and debates that often span decades. Its not a purely solitary endeavor where you cloister yourself away, do a lot of thinking and research in isolation (or with your internet friends) and then come down from the mountain top to share your visions. You really gotta put in the work of actually linking your thoughts with what other people have said because 1) it lets you know when you've just accidentally invented a cruder version of an existing theory and 2) it hopefully forces you to constantly test your ideas and actually introduces some amount of rigour into your work.

I didn't even have a Social Security number until I was 14. I was raised in a backwards doomsday cult and my life has primarily been preoccupied with trying to overcome that. Beyond basic arithmetic and reading my actual education didn't start until I entered High School, prior to that I had been educated by the cult. I am literally a disabled schizophrenic who lives in Portland on less than $1,000 a month from my social security check, I never really had the option to go to college.

Also when I started this project the first drafts were literally written on a library computer because I was living in a homeless shelter at the time. Like I am doing the goddmned best job of this I can with basically no resources whatsoever and a huge pile of obstacles in front of me, you'll forgive me if I have no idea how to even go about reviewing literature that I've never once had access to in my life.

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 17:03 on Oct 23, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

BrandorKP posted:

And historically there have been cults that formed around every drat thing one think of.
Yes. Which is why applying her heuristic to, say, the Peoples Temple or Scientology or The Family International, for which there is a wealth of existing research, would be a much more natural starting point for realms outside electoral politics than the Final Fantasy House.

It’s definitely not an either/or, but why were those racist kids spending so much time on 4Chan after 2008? Their narrative is that the culture changes too fast and demands that they be less racist than they are comfortable being, but there are boomer shitheads in my family still mad about the end of segregation and who believe white supremacy is a founding ideal of the United States who never contemplated shooting up a mall or bombing city hall and just lived their lives as middle-class drones. I never even knew what shits they were until Trump let them know it was ok to be that way.

So I kind of feel like if the young nazis of today were distracted by building careers and paying for houses, they would never have moved into the “active nazi” category.
Let's also not ignore the fact that many, arguably most, of the most deluded right-wingers in the US are neither young nor poor.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Final Fantasy House house was pwnage though

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

is now a good time to beg the question of the pneumatology inherent to arrive at something like the Final Fantasy House or is this just something that'll spiral out into a questioning of otakukin in general

because there's something flawed when one's belief that they are the reincarnation of an idea, especially an idea that was created after their own creation

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

For fun replace "framework" with "narrative" in Helsing's post about academia.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

But you’re right that it’s very much an open circle and people gravitate to what radicalizes them as they get a taste for being radicalized. I definitely think that social media and algorithms are extremely powerful and dangerous to us in ways we don’t understand, and that future generations will look at us playing with them so carelessly in the same way we look at radium water or those x-ray shoe-fitting stations.

I think a lot of derives from your first paragraph and the sense that since about that time white dominance felt itself threatened in a way it hadn't been since probably the civil rights era, which was especially aggravated by years of racially-laced fearmongering since 9/11 and anticipated economic stability falling out from beneath their feet.

Also, PJ: I get why you'd get a bit miffed at Helsing's suggestion, which admittedly didn't make any allowances for the fact that you're not in academia or indeed even the most economically secure position personally. However, I'd like to recommend you at least consider Willie Tomg's related suggestion that you run all this by someone who does have the chops and qualifications to hopefully give you some constructive advice as to where to take it next. It's fine if you don't want to do this, and want to just keep the discussion as your informally-derived theory of things you've worked out on your own! But you've clearly given it a ton of thought and are taking at least a the preliminary steps towards formalizing your thoughts into something more concrete, and among other things, speaking with someone with the sort of training in question will (presuming they're not an non-receptive dick of course) help point you towards how to become acquainted with the relevant literature to move your work along. Being a historian I'm not in so closely a related field that I can tell you specifically what that will be myself, other than to predict it will require a lot of reading.

Captain_Maclaine has issued a correction as of 17:27 on Oct 23, 2018

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think I need to clarify what the underlying cause of Narrativism- the subconscious adoption of specific ways of processing information about the world. This adoption process ("Narrative Induction") is caused by being exposed to communications (either written or verbal, although verbal is much much much stronger) that rely on "Bypass Logic" to reach its conclusion. Once enough exposure has occurred then the mind will begin to adopt the three specific heuristics that comprise Bypass logic. Once these characteristics are adopted sufficiently, then the budding there to this world you will begin to conform rapidly to the 4-tiered structure of the Grand Narrative. Once they have adopted that structure into their underline worldview, then shortly after that they will begin to formulate their Inner Narrative.

At this point the brand new Narrativist is "low-compaction"; meaning that they are at the very bottom of the radicalization process and their "Enemy" does not yet represent a constant psychological threat that must be addressed in some way. The next thing the brand new Narrativist will do is look for other Narrativists to start forming social groups with, and if they are successful in this then there will inevitably be compaction cycles that will drive the radicalization process. If a new Narrativist is not able to join a Narativist group and participate in compaction cycles, they will remain a mostly harmless kook.

You can watch this entire basic process play out in the excellent documentary "The Brainwashing of my Dad". In that documentary you have a perfectly normal person who starts listening to right-wing radio during long commutes to work. Hours and hours and hours of this exposure to right-wing radio caused him to become a Narrativist. Thankfully this individual was never able to join a Narrativist group, and as a result remained low-compaction. This made it possible for his family to pull him out of narrative ISM by basically cutting off his access to right-wing media. Once he stopped having bypass logic be constantly reinforced- he drifted out of being a Narrativist and more or less returned to being the person he had been prior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh3TeTxgNVo

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 17:33 on Oct 23, 2018

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Cadaver_Maclaine posted:

I think a lot of derives from your first paragraph and the sense that since about that time white dominance felt itself threatened in a way it hadn't been since probably the civil rights era, which was especially aggravated by years of racially-laced fearmongering since 9/11 and anticipated economic stability falling out from beneath their feet.

In my opinion the straw that broke the camel's back was that week in 2014 where you had both the oberg Rafael decision as well as Confederate flags being taken down in response to the Charleston shooting. These events were extremely large blasts of "Narrative Dysphoria" to both the religious cluster and the racist cluster, and compaction cycle / very visible radicalization started to occur shortly after those events. It was essentially shooting a Roman candleat a pile of wood soaked in kerosene- as decade's of right-wing media had created a huge number of relatively low-compaction Narrativists within our country.

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 17:34 on Oct 23, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cadaver_Maclaine posted:

Also, PJ: I get why you'd get a bit miffed at Helsing's suggestion, which admittedly didn't make any allowances for the fact that you're not in academia or indeed even the most economically secure position personally. However, I'd like to recommend you at least consider Willie Tomg's related suggestion that you run all this by someone who does have the chops and qualifications to hopefully give you some constructive advice as to where to take it next. It's fine if you don't want to do this, and want to just keep the discussion as your informally-derived theory of things you've worked out on your own! But you've clearly given it a ton of thought and are taking at least a the preliminary steps towards formalizing your thoughts into something more concrete, and among other things, speaking with someone with the sort of training in question will (presuming they're not an non-receptive dick of course) help point you towards how to become acquainted with the relevant literature to move your work along. Being a historian I can't tell you specifically what that will be, other than to predict it will require a lot of reading.

The end of whiteness had been chugging along pretty incrementally and predictably though, at least in the rainbow capitalism "yay a black president!" sense. I'm not prepared to cede the "you made us do this by demanding we tell you our pronouns!" argument to the nazis, as it really seems like the death of future prospects under capitalism in crisis made them jump that way. Not that white male teens aren't hugely racist and reactionary, but all the pieces were there in the 90s and had been there since Reagan mobilized white rage against the welfare state.

That's a really good point about islamophobia and the clash of cultures stuff post-9/11, though. I wonder if we could chart the rise of discourse invoking "the west" as an identity or ideal 2001-present. I bet there would be a big jump as the years wore on.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
That new, C-SPAM Prester Jane thread smell (it smells like new car). :yum:

I'm sure there's something about this that belongs in this thread:
https://twitter.com/GrayzoneProject/status/1054602024287911936

staticman has issued a correction as of 18:23 on Oct 23, 2018

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Prester Jane posted:

I didn't even have a Social Security number until I was 14. I was raised in a backwards doomsday cult and my life has primarily been preoccupied with trying to overcome that. Beyond basic arithmetic and reading my actual education didn't start until I entered High School, prior to that I had been educated by the cult. I am literally a disabled schizophrenic who lives in Portland on less than $1,000 a month from my social security check, I never really had the option to go to college.

Also when I started this project the first drafts were literally written on a library computer because I was living in a homeless shelter at the time. Like I am doing the goddmned best job of this I can with basically no resources whatsoever and a huge pile of obstacles in front of me, you'll forgive me if I have no idea how to even go about reviewing literature that I've never once had access to in my life.

This is why I'm telling you to email universities though. Academics generally don't mind helping with this kind of thing even when the people doing the asking aren't tuition paying students. They will skim databases and give you poo poo for free. Some of them will be dicks about it but some of them won't. They will help you with the heavy lifting on this; you don't need to reinvent the wheel.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Willie Tomg posted:

This is why I'm telling you to email universities though. Academics generally don't mind helping with this kind of thing even when the people doing the asking aren't tuition paying students. They will skim databases and give you poo poo for free. Some of them will be dicks about it but some of them won't. They will help you with the heavy lifting on this; you don't need to reinvent the wheel.

I do want to thank you for your kind suggestion, I do intend to put something together and try emailing local University professors who might be interested. It's going to take me some time to be able to do that though, there's a lot of anxiety behind me taking that particular course of action that I'll have to address before I can do it.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There is a lot of scholarly expectations from the OP in the thread explaining why I say "TRUMPO!"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Willie Tomg posted:

Seconding this once more. We love it when people take an interest because it serves as desperately-needed validation of the series of poor life decisions that led us to become professional academics confirms the importance of academic disciplines in general and our fields in particular.

sigh

ocrumsprug posted:

There is a lot of scholarly expectations from the OP in the thread explaining why I say "TRUMPO!"

ed balls

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

staticman posted:

That new, C-SPAM Prester Jane thread smell (it smells like new car). :yum:

I'm sure there's something about this that belongs in this thread:
https://twitter.com/GrayzoneProject/status/1054602024287911936

I've got quite a lot to say about this article, let me go piece by piece.

quote:

This month, Facebook and Twitter deleted the accounts of hundreds of users, including many alternative media outlets maintained by American users. Among those wiped out in the coordinated purge were popular sites that scrutinized police brutality and U.S. interventionism like The Free Thought Project, Anti-Media, Cop Block and journalists like Rachel Blevins.

Facebook claimed that these sites had “broken our rules against spam and coordinated inauthentic behavior.” However, sites like The Free Thought Project were verified by Facebook and widely recognized as legitimate sources of news and opinion. John Vibes, an independent reporter who contributed to Free Thought, accused Facebook of “favoring mainstream sources and silencing alternative voices.”
In comments published here for the first time, a neoconservative Washington insider has apparently claimed a degree of credit for the recent purge and promised more takedowns in the near future.

“Russia, China, and other foreign states take advantage of our open political system,” remarked Jamie Fly, a senior fellow and director of the Asia program at the German Marshall Fund. “They can invent stories that get repeated and spread through different sites. So we are just starting to push back. Just this last week Facebook began starting to take down sites. So this is just the beginning.”

Fly went on to complain that “all you need is an email” to set up a Facebook or Twitter account, lamenting the sites’ accessibility to members of the general public. He predicted a long struggle on a global scale to fix the situation, and pointed out that to do so would require constant vigilance.

The remarks by Fly — “we are just starting to push back” — seemed to confirm the worst fears of the alternative online media community. If he was to be believed, the latest purge was motivated by politics, not spam prevention, and was driven by powerful interests hostile to dissident views, particularly where American state violence is concerned

Now let me first specify that I regard most large corporations as being dominated by "Integrator Cooperators". The differences between a Structuralist and an Integrator are well beyond the scope of this post; but the enabling of Narrativism in order to preserve the status quo is very much a feature of Cooperator behavior. (That is to say that although A Structuralist Cooperator has significant differences with an Integrator Cooperator, both will enable Narrativism in order to preserve their personal status quo. In this case Facebook is appeasing far right Narrativists by cooperating with an agenda to remove sources of Narrative Dysphoria from their platform. I believe this is a direct result of right-wing narrative efforts to whip up outrage against Facebook and therefore threaten their status quo- resulting in Facebook's capitulation and the advancement of the right wing Narrativist agenda.

This is part of the interaction between Narrativists and Cooperators that occurs over and over in history- Cooperators who have their status quo threatened by Narrativists capitulate to/enable the Narrativist movement that is threatening them. Narrativism can therefor overcome a culture no matter how many losses it receives so long as it controls the dominant social narratives of that culture. As a result Narrativists are obsessed heavily with controlling the social messages in entertainment and media and mostly ignore traditional/logistical concerns. (e.g. Jordan Peterson's obsession with Disney movies). Once a Narrativist group becomes some sort of credible threat to a cooperating group, the Narrativists gain tremendously outsized leverage over the Cooperators*.

*See for example Disney's recent firing of James Gunn- Disney perceived a credible threat to their status quo and as a result capitulated to an attack brought on exclusively by Narrativists.

quote:

Jamie Fly is an influential foreign policy hardliner who has spent the last year lobbying for the censorship of “fringe views” on social media. Over the years, he has advocated for a military assault on Iran, a regime change war on Syria, and hiking military spending to unprecedented levels. He is the embodiment of a neoconservative cadre.

Like so many second generation neocons, Fly entered government by burrowing into mid-level positions in George W. Bush’s National Security Council and Department of Defense.

In 2009, he was appointed director of the Foreign Policy Initiative (FPI), a rebranded version of Bill Kristol’s Project for a New American Century, or PNAC. The latter outfit was an umbrella group of neoconservative activists that first made the case for an invasion of Iraq as part of a wider project of regime change in countries that resisted Washington’s sphere of influence.

Just lol that this is literally a part of a rebranded version of the project for a New American Century. 12 years ago the project for a New American Century was focus of various conspiracy theories- at the time Alex Jones must have spent at least 10 to 15 minutes a day talking about the project for a New American Century.

quote:

By August, a new, and seemingly related initiative appeared out of the blue, this time with backing from a bipartisan coalition of Democratic foreign policy hands and neocon Never Trumpers in Washington. Called the Alliance for Securing Democracy (ASD), the outfit aimed to expose how supposed Russian Twitter bots were infecting American political discourse with divisive narratives. It featured a daily “Hamilton 68” online dashboard that highlighted the supposed bot activity with easily digestible charts. Conveniently, the site avoided naming any of the digital Kremlin influence accounts it claimed to be tracking.

The initiative was immediately endorsed by John Podesta, the founder of the Democratic Party think tank, Center for American Progress, and former chief of staff of Hillary Clinton’s 2016 presidential campaign. Julia Ioffe, the Atlantic’s chief Russiagate correspondent, promoted the bot tracker as “a very cool tool.”

Unlike PropOrNot, the ASD was sponsored by one of the most respected think tanks in Washington, the German Marshall Fund, which had been founded in 1972 to nurture the special relationship between the US and what was then West Germany.

Though the German Marshall Fund did not name the donors that sponsored the initiative, it hosted a who’s who of bipartisan national security hardliners on the ASD’s advisory council, providing the endeavor with the patina of credibility. They ranged from neocon movement icon Bill Kristol to former Clinton foreign policy advisor Jake Sullivan to ex-CIA director Michael Morrell.

Jamie Fly, a German Marshall Fund fellow and Asia specialist, emerged as one of the most prolific promoters of the new Russian bot tracker in the media. Together with Laura Rosenberger, a former foreign policy aide to Hillary Clinton’s 2016 campaign, Fly appeared in a series of interviews and co-authored several op-eds emphasizing the need for a massive social media crackdown.

During a March 2018 interview on C-Span, Fly complained that “Russian accounts” were “trying to promote certain messages, amplify certain content, raise fringe views, pit Americans against each other, and we need to deal with this ongoing problem and find ways through the government, through tech companies, through broader society to tackle this issue.”

Yet few of the sites on PropOrNot’s blacklist, and none of the alternative sites that were erased in the recent Facebook purge that Fly and his colleagues take apparent credit for, were Russian accounts. Perhaps the only infraction they could have been accused of was publishing views that Fly and his cohorts saw as “fringe.”

What’s more, the ASD has been forced to admit that the mass of Twitter accounts it initially identified as “Russian bots” were not necessarily bots — and may not have been Russian either.

The systematic purging of sources of narrative dysphoria (to right wing Narrativists) is well underway, and it's being enabled by the Cooperators who control the DNC and large corporations.

quote:

A November 2017 investigation by Max Blumenthal, a co-author of this article, found that the ASD’s Hamilton 68 dashboard was the creation of “a collection of cranks, counterterror retreads, online harassers and paranoiacs operating with support from some of the most prominent figures operating within the American national security apparatus.”

These figures included the same George Washington University Center for Cyber and Homeland Security fellows — Andrew Weisburd and Clint Watts — that were cited as experts in the Washington Post’s article promoting PropOrNot.

Weisburd, who has been described as one of the brains behind the Hamilton 68 dashboard, once maintained a one-man, anti-Palestinian web monitoring initiative that specialized in doxxing left-wing activists, Muslims and anyone he considered “anti-American.” More recently, he has taken to Twitter to spout off murderous and homophobic fantasies about Glenn Greenwald, the editor of the Intercept — a publication the ASD flagged without explanation as a vehicle for Russian influence operations.

Watts, for his part, has testified before Congress on several occasions to call on the government to “quell information rebellions” with censorious measures including “nutritional labels” for online media. He has received fawning publicity from corporate media and been rewarded with a contributor role for NBC on the basis of his supposed expertise in ferreting out Russian disinformation.

However, under questioning during a public event by Grayzone contributor Ilias Stathatos, Watts admitted that substantial parts of his testimony were false, and refused to provide evidence to support some of his most colorful claims about malicious Russian bot activity.

In a separate interview with Buzzfeed, Watts appeared to completely disown the Hamilton 68 bot tracker as a legitimate tool. “I’m not convinced on this bot thing,” Watts confessed. He even called the narrative that he helped manufacture “overdone,” and admitted that the accounts Hamilton 68 tracked were not necessarily directed by Russian intelligence actors.

“We don’t even think they’re all commanded in Russia — at all. We think some of them are legitimately passionate people that are just really into promoting Russia,” Watts conceded.

But these stunning admissions did little to slow the momentum of the coming purge.

Narrativists don't care about facts, they care about getting someone who is perceived as having credibility to repeat their talking points. Once they have achieved that they will go about implementing the agenda of suppressing sources of narrative dysphoria in any way they can.

quote:

In his conversation with Sprague, the German Marshall Fund’s Fly stated that he was working with the Atlantic Council in the campaign to purge alternative media from social media platforms like Facebook.

The Atlantic Council is another Washington-based think tank that serves as a gathering point for neoconservatives and liberal interventionists pushing military aggression around the globe. It is funded by NATO and repressive, US-allied governments including Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Turkey, as well as by Ukrainian oligarchs like Victor Pynchuk.

This May, Facebook announced a partnership with the Atlantic Council’s Digital Forensic Research Lab (DFRLab) to “identify, expose, and explain disinformation during elections around the world.”

The Atlantic Council’s DFRLab is notorious for its zealous conflation of legitimate online dissent with illicit Russian activity, embracing the same tactics as PropOrNot and the ASD.

Ben Nimmo, a DFRLab fellow who has built his reputation on flushing out online Kremlin influence networks, embarked on an embarrassing witch hunt this year that saw him misidentify several living, breathing individuals as Russian bots or Kremlin “influence accounts.” Nimmo’s victims included Mariam Susli, a well-known Syrian-Australian social media personality, the famed Ukrainian concert pianist Valentina Lisitsa, and a British pensioner named Ian Shilling.

In an interview with Sky News, Shilling delivered a memorable tirade against his accusers. “I have no Kremlin contacts whatsoever; I do not know any Russians, I have no contact with the Russian government or anything to do with them,” he exclaimed. “I am an ordinary British citizen who happens to do research on the current neocon wars which are going on in Syria at this very moment.”

With the latest Facebook and Twitter purges, ordinary citizens like Shilling are being targeted in the open, and without apology. The mass deletions of alternative media accounts illustrate how national security hardliners from the German Marshall Fund and Atlantic Council (and whoever was behind PropOrNot) have instrumentalized the manufactured panic around Russian interference to generate public support for a wider campaign of media censorship.

In his conversation in Berlin with Sprague, Fly noted with apparent approval that, “Trump is now pointing to Chinese interference in the 2018 election.” As the mantra of foreign interference expands to a new adversarial power, the clampdown on voices of dissent in online media is almost certain to intensify.

As Fly promised, “This is just the beginning.”

I have been arguing for some time that corporate and political actors are figuring out how to use social media in order to weaponize and spread Narrativism. In this particular example we have right wing Narrativists applying pressure to a Cooperator organization- and that Cooperator organization is capitulating in order to prevent disruptions to their status quo.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Prester Jane posted:

If you are taking the effort to put yourself out there and solicit feedback for your ideas you're obviously ready to think about what others have written on this topic. Constructing your own entire original theory based purely on your own observation and research is a poor approach and frankly anyone who doesn't tell you that is doing you a disservice. You're presenting your ideas as a system of thought that can be used to make sense of the world so I thinks the standard I'm holding to you is perfectly fair.

If you have access to a computer, the internet and a library and can write long analyses of articles or youtube videos then you're clearly capable of looking up other theories of group psychology, cognitive biases, politics, etc. and figuring out how your ideas relate to what others have said. It's not like you need to read everything ever written before forming your own opinions but if you want to be taken seriously you should demonstrate that you first took other people's ideas seriously.

BrandorKP posted:

For fun replace "framework" with "narrative" in Helsing's post about academia.

This kind of illustrates my point. The fact academics (or anyone for that matter) use narratives and other heuristic devices to make sense of the world isn't controversial. What is supposed to make academic work distinctive is usually the fact that it's collaborative in nature - committees, peer review, conferences, etc.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think it's easy to underestimate the difficulty of academic research to an outsider.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think it's easy to underestimate the difficulty of academic research to an outsider.

Particularly anyone who hasn't even had an undergrad's introduction to it.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Ok, that is fair enough. Let me try to think of a more constructive way to convey this advice.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Helsing posted:

If you are taking the effort to put yourself out there and solicit feedback for your ideas you're obviously ready to think about what others have written on this topic. Constructing your own entire original theory based purely on your own observation and research is a poor approach and frankly anyone who doesn't tell you that is doing you a disservice. You're presenting your ideas as a system of thought that can be used to make sense of the world so I thinks the standard I'm holding to you is perfectly fair.

If you have access to a computer, the internet and a library and can write long analyses of articles or youtube videos then you're clearly capable of looking up other theories of group psychology, cognitive biases, politics, etc. and figuring out how your ideas relate to what others have said. It's not like you need to read everything ever written before forming your own opinions but if you want to be taken seriously you should demonstrate that you first took other people's ideas seriously.

This kind of illustrates my point. The fact academics (or anyone for that matter) use narratives and other heuristic devices to make sense of the world isn't controversial. What is supposed to make academic work distinctive is usually the fact that it's collaborative in nature - committees, peer review, conferences, etc.

This is literally the first time in my life I've ever had enough stability to be able to contemplate reading that literature. I'm not opposed to reading academic literature that covers simular topics, but it's exceedingly annoying when my lack of formal credentials is used constantly as a gatekeeper to insist that I shouldn't be talking about my ideas yet at all. And that's what it all to mately comes down to every time this particular objection is brought up about my work- it's always been used as a way to gate keep me from even trying to get my work out there in any form.

If you have a suggestion for something you think I should read then point me to it, goons have been doing exactly that for years and although I don't always read everything that I get pointed to I do read quite a bit of it. If you see where my vocabulary terms clearly overlap with an existing concept and academic literature, then please also point me to that. Because thus far whenever I have found overlap my theories are much much much much much more elaborated than what presently exists.

For example I believe that the "Deep Story" of Aroie Hochschild is basically covering the same conceptual territory as the grand narrative, however I would argue that the Grand Narrative is a substantially more refined and detailed exploration of that concept and what are Lee has done thus far.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Now maybe I am a touch sensitive about the topic, but my experience has been that is generally just away to dismiss me without having to engage with the actual content of my ideas. This is how the exact same conversation ended a few months ago in the Thunderdome thread:

twodot posted:

Prester Jane posted:

I literally started writing my Narrativist Framework on a public library computer because I was living in a homeless shelter at the time. Like... What kind of resources do you imagine I've been working with this entire time? I started this when I was homeless and I've since transitioned off the street, won a drawn out disability case, moved cross country- all the while being in the process of transitioning genders whilst managing a severe mental illness and a boatload of PTSD. (Oh and when I came out my family completely disowned me.) I'm doing the best I can with what I got.

I imagine you have very few resources, which is another reason people on a political Internet forum aren't very likely to take your psychology revolution seriously.

edit:

quote:

Like I didn't even have a Social Security number until I was 14 and I only got it then because I went out and got it myself. (So I could enroll myself in public high school.) What University is going to let me publish something exactly so that I can have credibility enough to talk about my theories on the something awful forums?

This is really not our problem. Ramanujan figured it out though.

Also:

twodot posted:

Yes, it turns out you are in a position where it is effectively impossible to convince anyone they should care about your made up vocabulary which you built using your non-existent training.

This line of reasoning has been used against me a number of times, and as a result I'm a little quick on the trigger about the topic of why I don't have a formal education to backup my theories.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Now for some actual content:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ppolling...r%3D200%23pti27

https://mobile.twitter.com/SenSchum...D200%23lastpost

https://mobile.twitter.com/shaun_je...D200%23lastpost

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
PJ, consider the word "collaborator" in place of cooperator, since it's commonly used already and carries the meaning you want.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
So attacking George Soros has become sort of an outer narrative for "the Jewish agenda"- and there does seem to be a significant uptick in attacks on George Soros of late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNkK_vLbZcQ

This video is extremely proclick. Pat Robertson's solution to the migrant caravan is to use the military to force them into a concentration camp, "and then once you have them in a situation that seems humanitarian begin to arrest them". His main concern with the migrant Caravan is literally the "pr nightmare from beating on children and peasents" and he thinks a concentration camp is the best way to avoid that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqtbwhJz7Fs

This video demonstrates the lack of conceptual boundaries that is a trademark of Narrativism- Khashoggi was in the payroll 9f Doris to write disparaging articles about KSA. This was being done because KSA is not playing nice with the Deep state, and that's why Khashoggi was being paid to attack both KSA and Putin. (That is just the first 60 seconds, it keeps going from there.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEly_DciEPc

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
This isn't an academic setting, PJ. You won't be graded on it.

I understand your frustration. You finally have the wherewithal to put down into words a detailed analysis of your lived experiences and how that maps to world at large. We'd all do well to undertake such harrowing levels of introspection.

I also understand why some would advise you to "do the research" before you re-invent the wheel and discover something someone else already discovered. I think, if that were the case, I'd rather see you build on top of that thing instead of rebuilding it from the ground up.

It would be awesome if people could provide examples of publicly available literature that any of us could read to get our heads around similar ideas.

I've read The Authoritarians by Bob Altemeyer for example and Umberto Eco's Ur-Fascism which are both pretty entry level stuff that barks up the same tree. I was inspired to read them because of your previous thread in D&D. Yes, I made it to adulthood without reading Ur-Fascism; I was an engineering major in college.
Heck, I even see bits of your theory in The Art of Memetics about how ideas spread. Lots of reading about memetics falls into "ideas are magick" territory, but this book is pretty solid. At least I remember it being solid. It's been more than five years since I read it. I remember it being more about how Marketing works.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Pope Guilty posted:

PJ, consider the word "collaborator" in place of cooperator, since it's commonly used already and carries the meaning you want.

I've considered doing that but I actually have a few specific reasons for not doing so- 1.) "Collaborators" carries too much negative baggage with it in the context of our present zeitgeist , 2.) Cooperators are a normal part of any human population and are actually pretty important to a functioning society*, and 3.) a Cooperator will attack anything that threatens their status quo if the disruption actually occurs**.

*the problems only begin when Cooperators control most of a society's resources.

**A threat of disruption can get a cooperator to compromise with you, an actual disruption will be met with active resistance.

The real problem then is when you have a scenario wherein an entrenched group of Cooperators both control most of society's resources and are insulated from having their personal status quo disrupted by their own bad decisions. Once that situation is created it will inevitably result in a severe stratification of the control of resources within society, (e.g. income inequality)with the Cooperators taking as much for themselves as they feel they can get away without destabilizing the entire system that their status quo depends upon. This stratification of wealth will create the preconditions in society that will allow marriage of ism to begin to take root, and once it's taking route enough that narrative his can provide a credible threat to the status quo of Cooperators then you have a situation wherein "Cooperators become Collaborators".

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 22:27 on Oct 23, 2018

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Aleph Null posted:

I've read The Authoritarians by Bob Altemeyer for example and Umberto Eco's Ur-Fascism which are both pretty entry level stuff that barks up the same tree. I was inspired to read them because of your previous thread in D&D. Yes, I made it to adulthood without reading Ur-Fascism; I was an engineering major in college.
Heck, I even see bits of your theory in The Art of Memetics about how ideas spread. Lots of reading about memetics falls into "ideas are magick" territory, but this book is pretty solid. At least I remember it being solid. It's been more than five years since I read it. I remember it being more about how Marketing works.

These are good works (though I haven't read Wilson's book), for all that Eco's work has become an in-joke for us these days. I'd add to the list Richard Hofstadter's The Paranoid Style in American Politics with the warning that while quite good, Hofstadter wrote it during the social history revolution of the 60s and his writing style in it is very much of that period ie: not the easiest for non-historians to get into.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Helsing posted:

Right it's just what brains do. And that second part is right also, but it's not peculiar to academia. Variations on that theme are present in bunch of different institutions to deal with it, boards, councils, journals, etc. Even what this thread is doing now is a good example. And I have found goons to be better at it, up until one gets to like program or department heads.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
near as i can tell so far, The Authoritarians is basically what PJ is trying to write, almost entirely, but with Authoritarians has a greater emphasis on root psychology (which is general and broadly applicable) and less on the case by case particularization of rationalizations for that psychology (which change and skitter around like a drop of water on a hot griddle).

Willie Tomg has issued a correction as of 22:43 on Oct 23, 2018

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Willie Tomg posted:

near as i can tell so far, The Authoritarians is basically what PJ is trying to write, almost entirely, but with a greater emphasis on root psychology (which is general and broadly applicable) and less on the case by case particularization of rationalizations for that psychology (which change and skitter around like a drop of water on a hot griddle).

You can get e-book versions for free here https://www.theauthoritarians.org/options-for-getting-the-book/
That's how I read it: on my tablet.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Willie Tomg posted:

near as i can tell so far, The Authoritarians is basically what PJ is trying to write, almost entirely, but with a greater emphasis on root psychology (which is general and broadly applicable) and less on the case by case particularization of rationalizations for that psychology (which change and skitter around like a drop of water on a hot griddle).

Originally this discussion was using the term "Authoritarians" because at first I was kind of trying to build on Altmeyer's work. Eventually there was a consensus reached that what I was describing was sufficiently different from Altmeyer's work to warrant a new term, and that's when a goon coined the term "Narrativist".

I highly recommend reading the free version of "The Authoritarians" to anyone who is following in this thread and has not already done so. it is on the whole an accident introduction to the topic, even though both I and the academic world have some critiques of Altmeyer's work.

In my view Altmeyer is definitely barking up the same tree I am, but he was severely hampered by being an outsider to this psychology as well as some significant structural problems with the way he ran his simulations. For example Narrativists only operate in a group once they have recognized each other and settled on some sort of collective innrr narrative, and Altmeyer's experiments all involved a bunch of strangers coming together in a public setting for a couple of hours. This simply was not enough time for any Narrativists in the group to recognize each other and build a collective inner narrative. As a result I tend to believe his "double highs" were not some sort of specific subtype of authoritarian- but rather regular Narrativists who also happened to have some level of a cluster B personality disorder/very low empathy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Prester Jane posted:

Originally this discussion was using the term "Authoritarians" because at first I was kind of trying to build on Altmeyer's work. Eventually there was a consensus reached that what I was describing was sufficiently different from Altmeyer's work to warrant a new term, and that's when a goon coined the term "Narrativist".

I highly recommend reading the free version of "The Authoritarians" to anyone who is following in this thread and has not already done so. it is on the whole an accident introduction to the topic, even though both I and the academic world have some critiques of Altmeyer's work.

In my view Altmeyer is definitely barking up the same tree I am, but he was severely hampered by being an outsider to this psychology as well as some significant structural problems with the way he ran his simulations. For example Narrativists only operate in a group once they have recognized each other and settled on some sort of collective innrr narrative, and Altmeyer's experiments all involved a bunch of strangers coming together in a public setting for a couple of hours. This simply was not enough time for any Narrativists in the group to recognize each other and build a collective inner narrative. As a result I tend to believe his "double highs" were not some sort of specific subtype of authoritarian- but rather regular Narrativists who also happened to have some level of a cluster B personality disorder/very low empathy.

This recent observation from his website talks about religious upbringings in a relevant way, how it primes Authoritarians to accept Narratives (not the phrase he uses) over facts and truth without any critical introspection or even thought.
https://www.theauthoritarians.org/why-do-trumps-supporters-stand-by-him-no-matter-what/