Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

BOOSness Hammocks posted:

There’s always a bedrock of people ready to go fascist and hang others from lampposts, but there have to be causal explanations for why they sometimes sit and stew in the living room and sometimes put on helmets and march around. The nazis out in the streets now we’re pretty much the same people ten years ago.

Trump wasn’t just an authoritarian pied piper, though he may well have been that. But this wasn’t his first run for president.

There is of course some truth to this, but on the other hand there is a sizable portion of the American populace that has been converted and militarized over the last 20 or so years by Rightwing media. We can point to 9/11, Fox News, AM talk radio, internet community (as a concept), the Great Recession, intensifying wealth inequality, or all of these, but everyone knows a few people who were largely apolitical that have become goose-steppers in that time period. I don't buy the "they were always Nazis" argument, especially given that many of these people are very young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Paolomania posted:

This post needs more love for a new page. Propaganda works. Anyone have a “power of nightmares” link handy?

Thanks. A really interesting example of this from my own experience is an old Army buddy of mine. We did a tour together in Iraq in '04 and he was as against the Iraq War as I was and a pretty open Kerry supporter (not easy to be at that time). He was the first person I met in the Army who said gay people should be allowed to serve openly and he wasn't shy about that opinion. Anyway, we drifted apart after he transferred to another unit and when I reconnected with him in 2012 he was a rabid Tea Partier. He married into a super conservative family and his new unit is in Texas so he hangs out all day with good ole boys, watching Fox News and sharing "Ben Shapiro DEMOLISHES _____" videos on facebook.

Sad to see it happen to a person I respected so much. It's stories like these that make what PJ is saying so compelling. I've watched it happen firsthand.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
PJ what are your thoughts on the effect of the OKC Bombing on the Militia Movement in the 1990s? History tells us that membership in these groups dropped dramatically in the wake of the bombing, ostensibly because people didn't want to be associated with such a horrific, bloody act. Does an event like this fit your definition of a "Compaction Cycle" ? I'd just be interested on your take and whether or not a similar event in our own present time might produce the same effect.

Cheers.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

R. Guyovich posted:

no, i definitely think this theory is a dead end and moves people away from truly liberatory frames of thinking. but that has nothing to do with probations given for kale-style narcissism and we've discussed this ad nauseum over pms.

You made your point and no one gives a poo poo.

Holy poo poo people are being probated for calling you out on this? Wow.

Unzip and Attack has issued a correction as of 15:04 on Nov 1, 2018