Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think it's easy to underestimate the difficulty of academic research to an outsider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Helsing posted:

Also to be slightly more constructive, some freely available places to start if you wanted to compare your ideas with others or get an idea of what best practices are for developing your ideas:

If other people are interested, I think it'd be fun to book-club some of these resources.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Online copy of "When Prophecy Fails"

I propose that, in the absence of a better suggestion, we all read the first chapter.

We don't have to read the whole book in a row, but this can be a place to start.

It's an old book, but let's make notes of things that have contemporary relevance, and keep an eye out for unfamiliar jargon or terminology.

Let's also be mindful to treat these kinds of works as "established." We're not trying to reinterpret them through the lens of PJ's theories, we're trying to identify areas where PJ's theories can be modified and adapted to bring them closer into alignment with existing work to make it accessible to someone who is already familiar with sociology.

Does that seem fair to everyone?

The goal is to read the chapter by the end of the weekend.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Prester Jane posted:

I'm also going to take about a four or five day internet sabbatical to let my head clear a little bit before I come back to this.

YOU CAN'T GET OUT OF YOUR READING ASSIGNMENT THAT EASILY!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

call center manager posted:

Anyway, an unlikely ally here for you could be linguistics.

Have you read George Lakoff's Women, Fire and Dangerous Things?

I really found prototypes to be a more realistic perspective on how we really think about stuff than universal platonic Forms.

As an example, if we imagine two people who hear "Union Members are protesting outside" it matters a lot if people immediately imagine the cashier at the grocery store and teachers vs a wannabe mobster dockworker the size of a refrigerator.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Helsing posted:

Can somebody give me an operational definition of "Narrativism" and an example of distinctively non-Narrativism behaviour for contrast?

Here thread, have a pdf of the whole book.

I need to re-read this to figure out what sections are most useful vs. the ones that go on forever on what the word "this" means.

Case Study 1 is very good.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think this is maybe a bit more Jungian, but Trump certainly fits the archetype of "savior" for a lot of people.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
https://www.theonion.com/klan-rally-70-percent-undercover-reporters-1819566475

It's this, except FBI.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Lumpenbourgeoisie

Edit:

Petit Lumpenbourgeoisie

Dr. Arbitrary has issued a correction as of 21:49 on Apr 11, 2019

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Prester Jane posted:

Thank you for this. I wasn't aware that there was an entire sub-industry of lovely private Christian colleges preying on the military, but in retrospect I really should have just assumed.

So, it used to be that if you got a college degree while serving as an enlisted person, that was a huge big deal and meant you were extremely motivated to get ahead and it looked very good on your record when considering promotions.
Over time, more options became available to help people pay for classes, and more colleges started getting in on the deal. Things rapidly moved towards grift, as nobody cared whether you got a real degree from a respected college, or if you got one from a bullshit mill. And from a competitiveness perspective, what looks better, working your butt off for a real college, or buying a degree and having plenty of time to devote to other things that improve your record. It's at the point that if you don't get a degree, you're at a disadvantage, so basically you have to buy a degree from a mill using government money if you want to get promoted. Grift city.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If your theories were total poo poo, nobody would be taking the time to offer constructive criticism. The problem is that they're kind of good here and there, and it's exciting when they offer an interesting insight into certain types of otherwise inscrutable behavior.

I think Helsing offered a good deal of criticism that mirrored some of my own concerns that I hadn't figured out how to express.

In my job, my work gets reviewed by my peers, and even when it's people who are much more talented than me, I sometimes find myself thinking, "nah, I'm going to leave it the way it was instead of taking your advice." That doesn't mean that when I get to their next note I'll dismiss it because I disagreed with them last time.

Learning how to make the most of critique is a skill, so please don't become too frustrated if you're finding it difficult to glean value from it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is there a cliff notes? I do not have the patience for videos and I get the feeling it's mostly stuff I already know.

Zoomers are growing up in even more of a cultural blasted wasteland than we did. Everything that can't be immediately monetised or converted into support for fascism is being defunded out of existence. We're already seeing the results of traditional forms of kinship and societal bonds being obliterated by capitalism to create generations of alienated and lonely young people who struggle to find any community that doesn't revolve around spending money.

(I can handle some videos, but this channel is pretty annoying.)

Edit:cliffs notes:

EA's CEO said this in a conversation:
“Once you get to the point where social interaction is really, really, important, then you discover that network effect in the context of games is as important as it is for Facebook, or Snapchat, or Twitter, or any of these other social grounds,” Wilson explained. “Once you come to terms with that, what you understand is that people will come together to consume this content together and they will want to stay and continue to consume that content and fuel those relationships as part of that. The reality is that is going to mean games as service is going to be foundational to our industry because that is how you will fulfill the motivations of players who have social interaction at the very core of why many of them play games for much of the time they play.”

Social interaction is important because it drives microtransactions

Most money in games is generated from whales or superwhales, I think they define superwhales as spending $50+ a month.
The key to converting normal players into superwhales is to fulfill social needs, and it also pulls their friends into the game which can add more whales.

Games like Clash of Clans are designed to trick children into spending money. Fifa is also offered as an example of a game rated suitable for children 3 and up, but involves a gambling lootbox system.
Game designers are deliberately working to build a social norm in games that playing for free is abnormal, and spending money is normal. (I assume that's why F2P games often have a "most popular" option listed in the premium currency screen)

Game companies are focusing on pushing these genres of game because they're far more profitable, and they're intentionally reshape expectations for what a game is supposed to be like.

Dr. Arbitrary has issued a correction as of 04:12 on Aug 10, 2019

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

T-man posted:

Is watching gamer videos this thread's (obvious cult obviously) version of drinking the Jonestown flavoraide? I can't wait for someone to tell us this yet again and how little they care, actually.

I didn't particularly care for the video, although I assume it appeals to someone way younger than me who might really benefit from being a bit more cynical about the gaming industry and the kinds of interactions that they're being pressured into.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I don't know why they call them supply/demand "curves" when they're always two perfect 45 degree angle lines that intersect neatly.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Here's an interesting supply curve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I knew Haven for Hope sounded familiar.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2019/12/trump-homeless-shelter-agency-robert-g-marbut-texas-housing/603280/

If any of you remember PJ's stories about a homeless shelter city, the guy who created it is now crafting national policy.

Ugh.