Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Why does Roman have such bad luck? He had that hernia surgery right in the middle of his first big singles push, got suspended during his first(I think) title run, got sick during the first Shield reunion and derailed that whole thing, and now, after finally getting the title back and beating Brock and all of that, he gets loving cancer. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/WWEUsos/status/1054537980453498886

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Whoa. Poor dude.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

IANAD but I doubt cancer drugs would factor in. I BELIEVE one of the goals with cancer treatments is generally to slow down cell replication, which uh... steroids wouldn't.

One of Orton's violations was for a list of stuff on the banned substances list including anastrozole, a hormone-based chemotherapy generally given to women fighting breast cancer, which can also be used to offset some side effects of some steroids

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Well there goes Tama Tonga's hot new angle.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Not a fan of Roman Reigns but obviously never wished he'd get cancer either. That's horrible luck. :(

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

rovert posted:

A very advanced question but I wonder even if he is technically in the clear at some point I wonder if the medication he takes subsequently is banned by WWE Wellness. Lengthening his return further than a regular person in a regular workplace.

i am not a doctor but i'd give it a big ol' "maybe"

like idk, you gotta figure better than 50-50 odds on him living through this, but working again regularly? i dunno.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chris James 2 posted:

One of Orton's violations was for a list of stuff on the banned substances list including anastrozole, a hormone-based chemotherapy generally given to women fighting breast cancer, which can also be used to offset some side effects of some steroids

Well poo poo. Either way that's obviously the least important thing right now by orders of magnitude.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I wonder if this is because of all his exposure to nuclear heat

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

gently caress cancer.

chirico cuvie
Jan 23, 2004
Made of beef and beef byproduct
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo this sucks. :smith:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Cancer might do what five years of booking couldn't do and get fans to cheer Roman when he gets back

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

LividLiquid posted:

gently caress cancer.

:same:

I hope Roman made bank during these years on top so he has a nest egg for his family.

Oh my God he has 2 year old twin boys in addition to his daughter. Hopefully he makes a full recovery :(

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Never going to get that heel turn now.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
The BIG DOG has beaten the big c...oh my!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm pretty sure if they just found anastrozole, they wouldn't consider it a dirty pop, since it doesn't do anything weird except in conjunction with roids. Also, if he needed an AI, they'd probably work with WWE to try and find one that both works and isn't banned.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 23, 2018

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

super macho dude posted:

Never going to get that heel turn now.

At this point as long as the dude beats cancer I don't really give a drat. :unsmith:

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Dad died of cancer and it was so loving lovely.

I never had a problem with Roman. As a non-white, I loved seeing a non-white guy getting "The Push". Always thought his responses were primarily due to fans feeling like the federation was no longer entertaining or responsive to what many modern fans want, which I think is fair. I legitimately cried during this promo and hearing the crowd go from it's usual "Yeah, gently caress off" to deafening silence was crazy. This disease was in the back of his mind for this whole run and he likely knew he was on potentially borrowed time. So him thanking the fans for, cheering or booing, just being responsive and letting him be over was just :smith: personified. Dude just wanted to work his job, man. He's always seemed so genuine. And by all accounts everyone liked him and he wasn't a dickbag like others who got the machine behind them. Guy has a family and is loved and needed, beyond the ring.

This is the saddest sports news I've seen in a very long time.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 23, 2018

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Cancer might do what five years of booking couldn't do and get fans to cheer Roman when he gets back

Don't give Vince any ideas.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Dishwasher posted:

Dad died of cancer and it was so loving lovely.

I never had a problem with Roman. As a non-white, I loved seeing a non-white guy getting "The Push". Always thought his responses were primarily due to fans feeling like the federation was no longer entertaining or responsive to what many modern fans want, which I think is fair. I legitimately cried during this promo and hearing the crowd go from it's usual "Yeah, gently caress off" to deafening silence was crazy. This disease was in the back of his mind for this whole run and he likely knew he was on potentially borrowed time. So him thanking the fans for, cheering or booing, just being responsive and letting him be over was just :smith: personified. Dude just wanted to work his job, man. He's always seemed so genuine. And by all accounts everyone liked him and he wasn't a dickbag like others who got the machine behind them. Guy has a family and is loved and needed, beyond the ring.

This is the saddest sports news I've seen in a very long time.

I haven't watched regularly in years, but I was an avid viewer for 20+ years, and I have never, not one time ever heard a crowd go almost completely silent after just one sentence. If you go back and watch again, listen to the crowd after he said he's been fighting leukemia for the past 11 years. You could hear a pin drop.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/fakebraxton/status/1054546100919644160

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh goddamnit this is too much for me. gently caress roman is the best now

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
If he can beat everyone else on the roster then he sure as hell can beat leukemia.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Leukemia is pretty treatable. My grandma had it and she lived until she was like 90, though I guess there are different types.

*Puts on big pharma hat with warning I have zero actual medical training*

There are four primary types -- CML, CLL, AML, and ALL. It's unlikely to be CML because initial 1st line treatment is a daily oral drug. He would have never "beaten" cancer or gone into full remission. Also unlikely to be CLL, as incidence is in older population. But if it is CLL, that's good and bad - there are good non-chemo or stem cell transplant options, but it's also not curable. AML is unlikely given high average age of original incidence.

ALL is most likely, since it typically affects children and young adults. There is a good chance of an initial cure with chemo, but after relapse chemo + stem cell transplant is the only real remaining chance of cure. There are new CAR-T therapies approved for pediatric ALL (Kymriah), but still in clinical trials for adults along with few monoclonal antibody options.

Basically there's still a shot with relapsed ALL, but long term remission rates with 2L chemo + stem cell transplant are not going to be as good as 1L chemo. We're talking like 90% complete remission in 1L vs ~25% (from quick sourcing, but credible) long term remission with 2L allogeneic stem cell transplant. It's not great. Not at all.

Texas Oncology posted:

Treatment of Patients Relapsing after an Initial Remission

Patients with adult ALL that relapses after an initial complete remission can be cured with standard chemotherapy, autologous stem cell transplant, or allogeneic stem cell transplant.

The timing of relapse in relation to initial diagnosis and treatment is important. Patients who relapse while receiving, or shortly after receiving, chemotherapy are unlikely to be cured with further chemotherapy. However, if the relapse occurs many months or years after discontinuing maintenance chemotherapy, many can achieve a second remission with re-institution of chemotherapy similar to that used in initial treatment. However, few of these patients are cured without a stem cell transplant.

Standard-dose chemotherapy can induce a complete remission in 10%-30% of adults, but few patients are cured. The average duration of survival is 5-6 months and less than 5% of adult patients survive 5 years after relapse.

Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation

Allogeneic stem cell transplantation from a related or unrelated donor or by using umbilical cord blood offers the best chance of long-term disease-free survival in patients with relapsed ALL. A large study recently reported that patients with adult ALL who receive a related or unrelated donor stem cell transplant in other than first complete remission have a long-term disease-free survival of 27% (see reference 1).

KingNastidon fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 23, 2018

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Choom Gangster posted:

Well there goes Tama Tonga's hot new angle.

https://twitter.com/Tama_Tonga/status/1054575074022313984

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Poor Joe.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig5gFxn1sPc

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
First off, all the prayers in the world for Roman. Adult leukemia is serious business, and I hope he wins the battle. Can't imagine what it's like to learn cancer is back after being in remission for 11 years.

Second of all, is it possible that he's had issues with his energy and appetite since his first bout with cancer? Would partly explain why he's had issues with his physique despite being very dedicated to his workouts (from what I've read at least).

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I'd blame that more on being samoan

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

I know its terrible but the way Shawn was shaking his head expressively when he first started talking and the speaker said "My name is Joe...", I thought he was making fun of his speech

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I'd blame that more on being samoan

I mean I'm sure it's that, plus the schedule, and other stuff. Just wondering if it was another issue for him.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004
Leukemia & Lymphoma Society hosting Light The Night fundraising events across the country over the next two weeks. Go walk and donate in support of The Big Dog.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

You know it's a shame they don't let them be themselves in WWE - the very last part of this look behind the curtain when he's joking about his rental car might be the most real personality he's been allowed to show that I've ever seen

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Whoa a Jason Jordan sighting

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Midnightghoul posted:

I know its terrible but the way Shawn was shaking his head expressively when he first started talking and the speaker said "My name is Joe...", I thought he was making fun of his speech

Same, I had to go back and relisten to that bit.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The part with Heyman got me

GB888
Jan 28, 2004

The GB stands for "Great Boobs".
I just beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma for the third time in four years after a stem-cell transplant back in April, so hearing about this earlier really hit home for me. It really sucks and I completely understood what he was talking about when it was the hardest time in his life the first time and then hearing it's come back when you thought it was gone for good. No matter how "treatable" it is, you still come out the other end a completely different person, physically. Wasn't really a Roman fan, but I hope it goes well for him.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

The part with Heyman got me

IIRC they've known each other since Roman was a kid.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Holy gently caress. This is the least expected...

Anything I say here feels meaningless and cheap. My mind is blown in the worst possible way. I have so many questions floating around, but I feel like all of them would be in super poor taste.

Hope the guy can beat this again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

bummer

• Locked thread