Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'd be shocked if he didn't. Seems like a no brainier.

I'm sure his doctors encouraged it but this is America and anything that keeps you alive is usually very expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

EDIT: wrong thread. I hope Roman recovers as soon and as completely as possible. It hit me right in the gut when i watched that video. I actually was horrified thinking it might be a work before the Shield Bros came out.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

VJeff posted:

Hot Take: Drop 'Roman Reigns' when he comes back and start calling him Joseph Anoai.

The more I think about this, the more I love this idea. The "Roman Reigns" character has way too much baggage at this point, and that will always linger even after the big return pop. But if he beats this and comes back strong, they got a real chance to wipe the slate clean and present a new type of hero.

"Hey, this is Joe Anoa'i, he's a cool tough guy, loving family man, loyal to his Shield buddies, and oh yeah, he loving beat cancer twice so you know he'll never back down from a fight. Do you wanna watch him kick some rear end?" Now that's a Top Guy babyface I can get behind, way more than the muddled, confused mess of Roman's previous writing and booking.

If John Cena can get away with using his shoot name, then so can Joe.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Benne posted:

The more I think about this, the more I love this idea. The "Roman Reigns" character has way too much baggage at this point, and that will always linger even after the big return pop. But if he beats this and comes back strong, they got a real chance to wipe the slate clean and present a new type of hero.

"Hey, this is Joe Anoa'i, he's a cool tough guy, loving family man, loyal to his Shield buddies, and oh yeah, he loving beat cancer twice so you know he'll never back down from a fight. Do you wanna watch him kick some rear end?" Now that's a Top Guy babyface I can get behind, way more than the muddled, confused mess of Roman's previous writing and booking.

If John Cena can get away with using his shoot name, then so can Joe.

Plus I feel like that stretch when he was tagging with Dean and Dean was the real focus was probably a glimpse into Roman's real personality and it was super fun and organically over.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Joe " The Roman" Anoa'i should go to Hollywood, like his cousin.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Roamin' Joe the travelin' cancer crusher

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Obviously these posts will be mocked elsewhere on the forums, but gently caress em. If you feel the need to say anything, say it.

I think even the most wretched sections of these forums are still in agreement that cancer is rear end, no matter which person having it is being discussed.

Have there been any major disease-related deaths or retirements for younger wrestlers in their prime? I think about Jumbo Tsuruta with his Hepatitis, but he was no longer the ace in AJPW at that point. I'm drawing a blank. Is it because these are some of the fittest people on Earth (even the big, fat unathletic ones) or what?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Dishwasher posted:

I think even the most wretched sections of these forums are still in agreement that cancer is rear end, no matter which person having it is being discussed.

Have there been any major disease-related deaths or retirements for younger wrestlers in their prime? I think about Jumbo Tsuruta with his Hepatitis, but he was no longer the ace in AJPW at that point. I'm drawing a blank. Is it because these are some of the fittest people on Earth (even the big, fat unathletic ones) or what?

Pillman? His heart issues were congenital.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

They couldn't even keep from sweetening this up and it made it come off less genuine than it actually was. WWE truly cannot help themselves.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

HidaO-Win posted:

I'd forgotten about him! Still, that's the only 'other' one I recall. And Pillman and Jumbo were essentially done as serious in-ring competitors when they had their health issues. 2 (that I know of) is way, way below the average for regular people when you consider the number of people on major federation rosters. It seems promoters and wrestlers got lucky with something that is basically a major life dice roll until this. If it can happen to Roman, it can happen to everyone. No one is immune, not even the ace of the biggest company in Earth. Take care of yourselves and get your loving checkups.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

HidaO-Win posted:

They were also exacerbated by his drug use, which is what killed him.

About the closest parallel between Roman and another guy I can think of is Magnum TA, in that he was absolutely going to be the top face for the next decade, then the car crash happened and ended his career. And I'd rather not make that comparison because I want Roman to beat this thing.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Dishwasher posted:

I'd forgotten about him! Still, that's the only 'other' one I recall. And Pillman and Jumbo were essentially done as serious in-ring competitors when they had their health issues. 2 (that I know of) is way, way below the average for regular people when you consider the number of people on major federation rosters. It seems promoters and wrestlers got lucky with something that is basically a major life dice roll until this. If it can happen to Roman, it can happen to everyone. No one is immune, not even the ace of the biggest company in Earth. Take care of yourselves and get your loving checkups.

I mean

There’s lots of people that should have retired earlier

What with the concussions and the broken necks and poo poo

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Sockser posted:

I mean

There’s lots of people that should have retired earlier

What with the concussions and the broken necks and poo poo

I meant diseases like cancer and hepatitis derailing careers. Things not a direct result of the lifestyle. Concussions and injuries definitely are a thing the industry needs to get in check. I'm shocked things like this don't happen more often considering the number of people who come and go through these federations and the colossal number of people fighting cancer and other random life-threatening ailments. If the stats were as favorable outside of wrestling feds, that'd be great. :smith:

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Héctor Garza died of lung cancer at 43 and Thunder the Australian luchador in CMLL died at 35 of stomach cancer

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Aesop Poprock posted:

My dad had stage 4 lymphoma when I was a kid, probably 4 or 5. Didn't really process it at the time except that he was gone and when I went to visit him at the hospital in Maryland he would play game boy games with me and I'd usually get a present. He at one point was essentially at death's bed when he was around 30 years old and had talked to my mom about moving on. Again, not something I knew about until I was an adult because I was shielded from it, but poo poo can be no joke.

He's alive and in really good shape to this day and what he claims helped was that he got out of his hospital bed every day and jogged and played basketball and kept moving despite the hospital trying to keep him in bed, and knowing how wrestlers are I do believe that and hope that if he can keep at his workout routine it will help and he'll be alright

that level of recovery owns im glad your dad came back from that

GB888
Jan 28, 2004

The GB stands for "Great Boobs".

Defiance Industries posted:

I'm sure his doctors encouraged it but this is America and anything that keeps you alive is usually very expensive.

I was told before I started my stem cell transplant that it would cost anywhere between $250,000 to $400,000. And that the hospital wouldn't do it if my insurance didn't pay for it.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

VJeff posted:

They couldn't even keep from sweetening this up and it made it come off less genuine than it actually was. WWE truly cannot help themselves.

I thought this was gonna be like a parody video or something but yeah they're really gonna go this route for publicity huh

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

VJeff posted:

Hot Take: Drop 'Roman Reigns' when he comes back and start calling him Joseph Anoai.

Bring back Leakee, including the palm frond skirt thing he used to wear in FCW.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Learned about this on Monday night after the Reigns announcement:

https://twitter.com/courtbauer/status/1055124829370793991

Roman and Samu are cousins. Afa and Sika both have sons fighting Cancer.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

rovert posted:

Afa and Sika both have sons fighting Cancer.
I feel bad for making this joke, but I need to get it out of my system: "That's wild!"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Leakeemia

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012
So Triple H and Stephanie were on the Elvis Duran Show and talked a little about Roman. Triple H on why Roman kept his previous battle with Leukemia under wraps:

Triple H posted:

This is something that—very few people know about this—he and I have spoken about this; this is something he did not want to put out there until he had reached a certain point it time in his career because he didn’t want people to feel like he was being pitied or given things for a certain reason. He wanted to be able to come out at the end and be like ‘Look, I dealt with this the whole time, you can do anything. This is not an end sentence.’

As we talked about it on Monday—he and I—life’s what happens when you’re busy making plans. The rest of the stuff happens, and it didn’t work out the way he thought it would, here it is back, but he realized now was the time to spread that message and tell people. He’s going to fight this, and he’s going to win. He’ll be back stronger than ever, and I think it’s just a matter of time. He’s an incredibly strong human being, and I have so much respect for him for just—that’s a very private thing, to be able to come out when your image and what you do and everything about you is tough and everything else—to come out and go look I’m flawed, I’m fragile and I have this problem. It’s a really difficult thing, and to be able to stand up, not for yourself, but for others.

Stephanie on some of the pediatric cancer patients they visited last month made a video for Roman:

Stephanie McMahon posted:

As it relates to Roman, one of the things we did as a part of September, which is Pediatric Cancer Awareness Month, we had this whole campaign for Superstars Of Tomorrow where we visited children’s hospitals and these kids dressed up in their favorite Superstars’ persona or their own original Superstar persona. Our [WWE] Superstars actually come and we introduce them and it’s awesome, and we did integrations in Monday Night RAW. In Dallas in particular, we had this incredible group of kids that we really bonded with, and they created a video for Roman that I just watched, and it’s so powerful. It’s these little kids saying ‘we believe in you, Roman’ and keep fighting. It’s just that’s what life should really be about, it’s supporting one another and loving one another because we all have enough crap to deal with in our regular lives. It’s just a privilege to be a part of.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Horrible Taste posted:

So Triple H and Stephanie were on the Elvis Duran Show and talked a little about Roman. Triple H on why Roman kept his previous battle with Leukemia under wraps:

Stephanie on some of the pediatric cancer patients they visited last month made a video for Roman:

That's literally beautiful and I will not have it besmirched.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
Didn't see the thread for this. I can't imagine the pain his family is going through. My grandma died of cancer around 5 years ago and the whole agonizing process nearly broke my mom in the end.

I hope he beats this.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
surprised Stephanie didn't take credit for curing his Leukemia the first time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

surprised Stephanie didn't take credit for curing his Leukemia the first time
I don't think she would go THAT far but you know if in the next 10 years they find a way to completely cure Breast Cancer that Stephanie would take credit in part because of the WWE's partnership with Susan G Komen.

• Locked thread