Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Slayers dub be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
all of you are being reported to The Lost Otaku for summary roasting

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well...

MonsterEnvy posted:

Slayers dub be good.
It's this, bub.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
oh my god bring back ricequeen

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

The first series's dub was kind of rough, but they fixed the problems by Next in my opinion.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TenementFunster posted:

oh my god bring back ricequeen

Sorry, but you're wrong as gently caress. The dub is good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, why were the English versions of the movies handled by a completely different studio/cast than the main series was?

different licensor. ADV got the movies and OVAs, iirc, and Central Park Media got the show, and both licensors had completely different stables of VAs (ADV used their own in-house people and CPM used NYAV Post (if you've ever wondered why Xellos is voiced by Dean Venture, that's why)

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 25, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also the Slayers dub is, like, famously great, like it's basically the OG actually-good dub before Cowboy Bebop

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
oh my god weebs in 2019 are rejecting Megumi Hayashibara so they can listen to hours of Crispin Fuckman and not have to read

somebody put me in a loving home already

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
ADTRW: "We like anime dubs just fine." :shobon:

TenementFunster posted:

oh my god weebs in 2019 are rejecting Megumi Hayashibara so they can listen to hours of Crispin Fuckman and not have to read

Megumi Hayashibara is great and I think most goons who recognize the name would go "Yup! She rocks". But it doesn't have to be "either/or" every time. It can be "and" as well. ;)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TenementFunster posted:

or... here's a thought... maybe they're both fine and it's not a competition, given we're no longer in the VHS days where sub and dub got sold separately

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wark Say posted:

ADTRW: "We like anime dubs just fine." :shobon:

Not all of us

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Double BAH! :mad:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

TenementFunster posted:

You know I thought this was playing things up for fun but now I'm starting to get worried.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i am never going to get mad at dubs because i have seen quite a few dubs that just flat-out improved the show they were for.

Yu Yu Hakusho is way better when Yusuke gets to actually have a personality. Cyber City OEDO 808 turned a D-list OVA that nobody cared about into something legit magical. Future Diary managed to save a show that honestly seems pretty obnoxious subbed, just through the magic of actual well-written dialogue. Black Lagoon in Japanese is a little janky at times, but in English it's perfect. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is actually possible for normal human beings to follow dubbed.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

or... here's a thought... maybe they're both fine and it's not a competition, given we're no longer in the VHS days where sub and dub got sold separately
sorry but it is ABSOLUTELY a competition and it appears that the forces of evil are prevailing and nothing makes sense anymore

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is actually possible for normal human beings to follow dubbed.
how DARE you talk poo poo about Mass Naked Child Events

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
holy loving poo poo that's an ancient pull

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

holy loving poo poo that's an ancient pull
and yet no love for the ricequeen reference?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TenementFunster posted:

and yet no love for the ricequeen reference?

Only two people reading this thread know who they were

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Sakurazuka posted:

Only two people reading this thread know who they were
i was hoping Relin might show up and vote 1

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I have a friend who really hates Megumi's voice. Mostly when she goes for those high-schrill moments.

Personally I like her. But the dub is how I got to watch SLayers for the first time so it's nostalgic.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I'm mostly watching it because I'd never seen the English version before aside from a handful of episodes (which is how I was introduced to the series in the first place actually), and didn't even get around to watching the Japanese version in full until last year. Like I said, while the Japanese is better in some aspects I like both casts well enough (though as far as the two dub voices go I kind of prefer Lisa Ortiz's Lina a little more though neither of them really hold a candle to Megumi). Kelly Manison was a perfect choice for Naga though and it's kind of a shame she hasn't really done that much else from what I can find.

Fun fact: Ortiz recently reprised her role in an episode of Pokemon during a scene that paid tribute to Megumi's various roles over the years (as Megumi has also played Jessie in the Japanese version of that series since the beginning).

Megumi herself also reprised her role as Lina in a Japan only game that came out last year:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/11/27/megumi-hayashibara-joins-slayers-real-mystery-solving-game-as-lina-inverse

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i am never going to get mad at dubs because i have seen quite a few dubs that just flat-out improved the show they were for.

Yu Yu Hakusho is way better when Yusuke gets to actually have a personality. Cyber City OEDO 808 turned a D-list OVA that nobody cared about into something legit magical. Future Diary managed to save a show that honestly seems pretty obnoxious subbed, just through the magic of actual well-written dialogue. Black Lagoon in Japanese is a little janky at times, but in English it's perfect. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is actually possible for normal human beings to follow dubbed.

Also given the setting, I would honestly argue that Cowboy Bebop actually works a bit better in English than it does in Japanese (both are still good though).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 25, 2019

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Dubs are good when they actually have people that care about what they deliver.

And then we have the finnish version of Digimon.

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender

Mordaedil posted:

Dubs are good when they actually have people that care about what they deliver.

And then we have the finnish version of Digimon.

Dare I ask?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Iceblocks posted:

Dare I ask?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxPsucXGkm4

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Hajime Kanzaka is doing a third arc for Slayers

https://twitter.com/Slayers_bot/status/1128960472936570880?s=19

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If you mean the novels didn’t those already start up again a little while back? I’m still hoping for another anime revival eventually though.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I remember there was a post about isekai currency and who'd be on the dollar bills of said currency. Yuji Hori of Dragon Quest and Ryo Mizuno were the first two names posted, but I could definetly see Kanzaka being on a bill as well as on the Mount Rushmore along the aforementioned two. God I really wanna read novels, but translated material is scarce.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

I remember there was a post about isekai currency and who'd be on the dollar bills of said currency. Yuji Hori of Dragon Quest and Ryo Mizuno were the first two names posted, but I could definetly see Kanzaka being on a bill as well as on the Mount Rushmore along the aforementioned two. God I really wanna read novels, but translated material is scarce.

How many (if any) of the Slayers novels have actually been translated?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The original 8 volumes are translated, I have them somewhere in my bookshelves. They mostly just cover Slayers up to end of Slayers Next, however.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is there anything of note in the first 8 volumes that was not shown in their respective anime adaptations (for example, I heard that one of the books had a section where Gourry runs into Lina’s dad briefly)?

Also, was Revolution/Evolution-R based on a novel? I know Try was a completely original story at any rate.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

TenementFunster posted:

all of you are being reported to The Lost Otaku for summary roasting

Who do you think is the most adamant about subs vs dubs, I'd say it's Celph-Satisfyde.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5y3NQi_RAY

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Should I be recommending Slayers to people who liked Konosuba, and vice-versa? Cuz that's what I've been doing.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, it sounds like a pretty ok course of action. I would also throw Rune Soldier Louie as a recommendation since, like Slayers and Konosuba, its main concern is the funnies.

Same caveat that a bunch of things for both series haven't aged super-well but they are overall fairly watchable/enjoyable. :)

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Larryb posted:

So is there anything of note in the first 8 volumes that was not shown in their respective anime adaptations (for example, I heard that one of the books had a section where Gourry runs into Lina’s dad briefly)?

Also, was Revolution/Evolution-R based on a novel? I know Try was a completely original story at any rate.

Gourry met Lina's dad in a short side story not part of the official books.

Evolution(r) borrowed some elements from the books, but was mostly its own thing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So pretty much the only seasons directly based on the novels are the original and Next? Also was Pokota from the novels or was he an anime exclusive character?

Not sure how much actually made it into the films themselves but I think the Slayers movies/specials were also loosely based on short stories written by Kanzaka (I know Naga is from the books at the very least).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 18, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Revolution/Evolution-R is weird because while there is one sub-arc which is lifted directly from the novels (across 2 novels, Volume 5 and 6 if memory doesn't completely fail me, even), it's mostly its own thing. But yeah, Slayers and NEXT only adapted stuff from the novels up to Volume 8.

Also of note is that, if you're coming from the novels to the anime or vice-versa, you're bound to get weirded out by their respective pacing and some changes. Like, it's nothing super terrible, but like the first book is covered in detail in the first 10 episodes, but then volume 2 takes only 4 and then the rest of the season is kind of like a mishmash of Volume 3 and 4.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

So, where can I actually watch Slayers? I wanted to get a better sense of it for tabletop GMing reasons but I can't find it.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

AweStriker posted:

So, where can I actually watch Slayers? I wanted to get a better sense of it for tabletop GMing reasons but I can't find it.

Funimation's Youtube channel has Slayers and Slayers Next in full subbed, though in 480p. And only 4 episodes of Slayers Try

The channel has a decent number of shows in full if the 480p doesnt bother you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huzzah! posted:

Funimation's Youtube channel has Slayers and Slayers Next in full subbed, though in 480p. And only 4 episodes of Slayers Try

The channel has a decent number of shows in full if the 480p doesnt bother you.

I’m pretty sure they’ve still got all 5 seasons up there in full both subbed and dubbed (for some reason not every episode of Try is in the playlist though), searching on YouTube should bring up a more complete list. If you don't care about watching it through legal means I'm pretty sure it can be found on a lot of streaming sites as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 24, 2019