Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Slayers is great and I really hope the new novels result in more new media being made for it.

I would also love to check out that new novel. Though sadly that is unlikely for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mordaedil posted:

My favorite thing about the Lord of Nightmares is that in the novels she and Shabranigdu and the other demon lords are just revealed to be the editors taking a direct role in the story.

"You know, this section doesn't quite work, let's remove that somehow."

Though I think it means the actual Demon Kings from the other worlds. Not the Demon Lords Ruby Eyes created. I don't think it applies to Hellmaster Fibrizo, Gaav, and the other three.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 17, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I recently learned that Lina was never originally intended to be the protagonist of slayers.

The original main character was going to be Luna Inverse her older sister who is relegated to only appearing in the openings of Next and Try. (She is a badass Knight of the Dragon God that prefers to work as a waitress) When Kanzaka was fleshing out Luna's backstory for the novel, he realized he was more interested in her younger sister Lina and felt she would work better as the main character and rewrote the plot to star Lina.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 22, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh Lina changed up her look for the new novel.

Gourry too

From the glimpse I can find, Zel and Amelia look more or less the same.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Who's the other (what I assume is a) girl next to Gourry in the last picture?

From looking it up. An Elf Mercenary named Alaina that joins up with them. Here is a better image of her.

From the translation she is someone who has a forceful personality, but is very shy about talking with strangers.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 22, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Yeah, hopefully we'll at least get an anime (or movie) adaption of this eventually. It sounds interesting based on a what little I've read regarding the new novel. I also hope said novel isn't just a one shot and there's more Slayers related content to come (it's apparently sold pretty well so far at least).

It's not a one shot.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Wonder what Alaina will fall into once we learn more about her.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Found an imgur thing with most of the new books art.

https://imgur.com/a/ywpoioM

Seeing this image

I was thinking what is Amelia's rank again. Her father is the Crown Prince, but does that make her a princess I don't know how noble rankings work.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 26, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am fond the Revolution "You are under arrest for the crime... of being Lina Inverse." "Yep she's guilty."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mordaedil posted:

When you cut a guy into pieces, the individual pieces are often weaker than their underlings. Also they find it amusing that mortals try to hurt him, never considering they will tattle to mommy.
Actually Ruby Eyes' pieces on their own are still vastly more powerful than all of his minions. Gaav stated that even if he teamed up with all his counterparts (Hellmaster, Greater Beast) they would still be no match for the single active Shard imprisoned in the Ice up north. Which is why he was seeking powerful magic items to destroy it.

Captain Cappy posted:

How did Lina beat up Shabranigdu but she can't beat up Xellos? Science can't explain that.
In story she defeats two Shabranigdu shards. The first one back in the first season, had not yet reached full power, leading her to try the potentially world destroying Giga Slave on him to end him before he reached full power. He still tanked the Giga Slave, but his host Rezo allowed it to enter through Shabranigdu's defenses. Shabrangdu potentially still could have survived, but states that he will allow his shards death as a reward for Lina doing so well.

The Second Shard was defeated in the Novels possessing a Mercenary named Luke. Lina and Gourry defeat the Shard because Luke is suicidal. Lina Channels a Dragon Slave through the Sword of Light, and while normally this would not work because the Dragon Slaves draws upon Ruby Eyes' power Luke's suicidalness and lingering will in the Shard allow the Dragon Slave to work on him.

Larryb posted:

Hell, they actually do fight him once in an episode of Revolution and he easily wipes the floor with the entire group. Xellos is an interesting character, he's not a good guy by any stretch but I find it kind of hard to classify him as a villain either.

Aside from whatever master he happens to be serving at the time he generally does whatever he wants, both helping and hindering Lina and her group as he sees fit. Do the novels go into any further detail as to what his actual goals are (or was he a character created exclusively for the anime)?

Xellos is in the Novels as well. He is more sinister there and is more feared and hated by the group. His true allegiance is to his creator Greater Beast Zelas Metallium. Each of the Demon Lords created by Shabranigdu also created servants of their own. A general and a priest to serve them with two exceptions. Supreme King Dynast Grausherra created two generals, and two priests. Because the Demon Lords need to subtract from their own power to create them, his generals and priests are half as powerful as the others because he created more of them. Greater Beast is the other exception instead of creating a general and priest, she decided to just create a single priest: Xellos who is extra powerful because the power that would have gone into the general went into him instead. Xellos as a result is the most powerful demon outside of the Lords and Shabranigdu.

The Priests and Generals make appearances in the novels and some spin offs but are cut out of the Anime. Gaav for example is assisted by his general and priest in the novels. (Hellmaster's died in the big war) But in the anime they are replaced by Seigram the cloaked Demon. Seigram appears in the novels as well, after his initial defeat teams up with the assassin Zuuma (Who appears in Revolution and Evolution-R) and later merges with him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Or unless Zelas tells him to kill her.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Slayers dub be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Slayers novels are coming westwords.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-07-03/j-novel-club-releases-slayers-novels-in-both-print-digital/.161424