Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I approve of this pro-Slayers thread:

Party on. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, there's a new novel that came out for the main storyline, after 18 years.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There was at least one season that was completely anime-original (I think it did have Kanzaka's input, but it definitely wasn't part of the novels). I know for a fact that the blond dragon lady voiced by Houko Kuwashima is anime-original.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Funnily enough, the Special novels (the ones focusing on Lina & Naga's shenanigans previous to Lina running into Gourry) actually outlasted the main series for the longest time, numbering in a whopping 30 volumes (to the main series 15) and getting published up until 2008. I mean, sure: They were actually shorter in length than the main novels, but still.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Crabtree posted:

I'm always bummed out there wasn't like a goofy mock Dragon Quest video game for Slayers. Or at least one that released in the West. I'd love to make a Create a Character that just gets roped by Lina into a disastrous cavalcade of stupidity across the land.
I know this might not be much consolation, but most of the Slayers games that came out are fairly decent. Never played the PS One game, though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

I forget, did we ever really learn what his deal was? It seems like he both helped and hindered the group as he saw fit.
Xellos is the underling of one of Shabranigdu's five retainers. Since Shabranigdu is basically sealed and has been for some time, what his retainers are up to is their business and their business alone. Zelas (Xelloss' master) herself has never quite made an appearance in the series proper, but she seems content with letting her underling run amok and do wild, chaotic poo poo.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Onmi posted:

Was Slayer's based more on D&D or Sword World actually?
I think Mizuno (one of Sword World's creators and the writer of both Lodoss and Grancrest Senki) and Kanzaka are contemporaries and both based their creations around the same versions of D&D.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jon Joe posted:

Is Buffy anime
The Scooby Gang is like the proto-investigation team.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, Naga was created by Kanzaka and is basically the secondary protag of the Slayers Special novels.

Larryb posted:

Apparently her real name is Gracia and she's actually Amelia's older sister, Evolution-R kind of hints at this though I believe Kanzaka stated it outright in an interview a while back.

That said, it is sort of weird that Xellos is the only one who recognizes her in that season while Lina doesn't seem to have a clue. But it's the closest thing we've gotten to some kind of resolution for Naga's character so I'll take it. I like the character but I'm not really sure I could stand a full season of her. Naga works best in small doses I feel.
Pretty much. Part of the reason you don't really get tired of Naga in the Special novels is that the novels themselves are fairly succinct and basically work as the Light Novel-equivalent of OVA's, so basically just imagine Naga as a prequel protag.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
On episode 5 of Slayers. Man, Hayashibara, Koyasu and Midorikawa were all super young.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Cappy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HySCRz6Atf4

Edit: Is Amelia the first anime boob loli?
Nice cover!

Also, please refrain from asking that question.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
^^^^ e: You can check the thread as well, which Julias just posted, to see for yourself. ^^^^

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is this to do with that "Goblin Slayer" thing? I have no idea what it is but people talk about it a lot as this thing that's really bad but still really popular - can anyone fill me in?
It's a light novel series that, if I don't completely misremember (since I was going to make the OP as a "Containment Thread" of sorts, so I did some reading about the overall series thanks to Wikipedia and info provided by some goons who are more familiar about the situation), it started as a number of threads in the Futaba Channel imageboards about a bunch of characters from famous works (Netero from Hunter x Hunter, a Dragon Quest priestess, Lancer from the OG Fate/Stay Night, etc) and how they would have to deal with a goblin raid. Since both the official anime simulcast and the official manga translation include a Content Warning due to the explicit nature of some episodes/chapters, you can take a guess about said contents.

When the aforementioned threads got popular enough, one of the main OP's from those threads decided to write a web novel, which just used thinly-veiled unnamed versions of the same characters. Then that got popular enough that it got made into a light novel in early 2016 and now, 3 manga adaptations, 1 light novel spin-off, and 4 drama CD's later, we have an anime. With the exact same cast as the drama CD's (all the main cast is comprised of fairly popular voice actors) and done by a fairly well-regarded studio. Oh, most characters still don't have names, just their profession/RPG job as identifier. Which in most cases makes it laughably easy to identify who were the original characters being used for the 2ch threads about it.

So when P-Mack decided to create this thread, more than a few goons expressed having fond memories of the old Slayers franchise and even got into it enough that some have decided to re-watch or re-read the series, which recently got an additional novel released.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 18, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Does Luna have a bigger role in the novels? As I recall in the anime she's just mentioned occasionally and sometimes appears in still shots/eyecatches but that's about it.
Nope! Aside from Lina being scared shitless when she's mentioned, all the tidbits previously mentioned (Luna being hilariously OP, a non-giver of fucks, prefers to wait tables) is literally all we know about her.

Lina's parents barely even get mentioned in side materials or anything, but iirc they're both alive + well and they have fairly normal jobs.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Nope. Basically nobody from Lina's family shows up proper in story (I haven't read volume 16, mind you), but here's the interesting thing: Aside from Luna's lackadaisical attitude towards her duties as rep of the local Holy God, they're all relatively down-to-earth, normal people for a family living in a high fantasy setting. Hell, Lina and Luna's dad basically gives Gourry a fatherly-pep talk that motivates him to find a purpose which is why he finds Lina in the first episode / early on the first novel.

e:f;b

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, would you look at that! :3:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
One of my friends who likes grim-dark stuff and horror said she dropped the show right after the arc where the elf, dwarf and lizard trio show up because she got bored. We've been watching Zombieland Saga and Bunny Girl Senpai after rehearsals. She says that Zombieland Saga's 4th episode's chase was the funniest thing she's seen all year and that it's because of stuff like that she gives anime a chance because there's no way a live-action show/movie could give that scene justice.

Grapplejack posted:

The last two episodes of goblin Slayer have been extremely strong but the show started off gross and, for some loving reason, the first episode didn't have a content warning, so that went poorly. Also it's me and like maybe two other people on this forum that watch GS / like it so

To be on topic, I don't know much about slayers but from reading this thread it turns out slayers has had a massive fuckin impact on anime! Like drat! You can see echoes of slayers in a ton of anime that came after it, it's wild.
Isn't Goblin Slayer super popular in the west? Or was that just last month when it first premiered?

And yeah, Slayers was fairly popular in the west. To the point that, while not in its entirety, but the 8 novels that get "covered" by the anime seasons got translated in the west. In LatAm (specifically Mexico) the series was originally (and hilariously enough) called Justicieros when it first aired in national broadcast channels back in the late 90's. Both it, Magic Knight Rayearth and Slam Dunk were my favorite 90's shows growing up.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nate RFB posted:

I also really like Valgaav, even if he's a bit heavy for a Slayers villain in terms of general plot/backstory.
Valgaav, as a villain, is so good that, even with Kanzaka not being the biggest fan of Try, he's gone on record saying that he's fond of our teal-eyed dragon boy. :3:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Naga *technically doesn't appear in the main Slayers continuity, since her adventures with Lina happen before Lina runs into Gourry (the Slayers Special novels, manga and OVA's, along with Slayers Smash, which is basically Special 2.0). Remember that, while they go on to have great adventures and whatnot, Lina and Gourry had their respective reputations in several kingdoms/villages before running into each other.

*Nama, the suit of living armor that shows up in Slayers Evolution-R (the final season of the anime so far) is all but stated to be containing Naga's soul

e: beaten again. :shobon:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

It just got added to CR a week or so ago.
Along with Chivalry of a Failed Knight for almost every other territory but USA, if memory serves right?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

None of which is really mentioned in any actual media as far as I'm aware. In fact, I'm pretty sure nearly Naga's entire backstory exclusively came from interviews. Which is a shame because it honestly sounds pretty interesting (and kind of hosed up considering how much of a joke character she's usually portrayed as in the series itself).
The Slayers Special novels do delve somewhat more into Naga's deal, but yeah: Most details about her, Gourry and Luna's backstories/overall information comes from supplemental materials or interviews. It'd actually be cool if the relaunch of the main novels inspired Kanzaka to break from tradition and let Naga into the main storyline, even if just to be like "Hey, Ohohoho Lady is still around".

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Either way, as I've mentioned before I hope the recent revival of the novels leads to a new anime project one day (or at the very least a movie/OVA). Not sure about the English side but I'm pretty sure most of the Japanese actors are still in the industry at any rate (for example, Lina's VA has been voicing Jessie in the Pokemon anime since the beginning).
Good news! They're active for the most part.
  • Lina Inverse: Megumi Hayashibara is indeed still active! And while not as active as some of the other generational peers, she's still trucking along.
  • Gourry: Yasunori Matsumoto is mostly just doing small gigs here and there.
  • Amelia: Masami Suzuki mostly dedicates herself to singing and narration nowadays.
  • Naga: Similarly to the VA portraying both Gourry and her character's little sister, Maria Kawamura is mostly just doing small roles here and there.
  • Prince Phil: Minoru Inaba (Phil's voice actor starting in Try) likes to keep busy, though he mostly deals in dubbing nowadays.
  • Zelgadis: Yes! Hikaru Midorikawa is among the busiest VA's that had their breakout roles in the early to mid 90's. Last season saw him retake the mantle of Gridman, and next season he'll appear in One Punch Man's 2nd Season.
  • Xelloss: Just like Mr. Midorikawa, Akira Ishida has been busy for most of his tenure as a VA. Helps that his range has actually expanded, so while a bit difficult, he can still pull off doing boyish voices like Kaworu, Young Sensui or Xelloss himself, along with his older voice, shown in Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 3, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well...

MonsterEnvy posted:

Slayers dub be good.
It's this, bub.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
ADTRW: "We like anime dubs just fine." :shobon:

TenementFunster posted:

oh my god weebs in 2019 are rejecting Megumi Hayashibara so they can listen to hours of Crispin Fuckman and not have to read

somebody put me in a loving home already
Megumi Hayashibara is great and I think most goons who recognize the name would go "Yup! She rocks". But it doesn't have to be "either/or" every time. It can be "and" as well. ;)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Double BAH! :mad:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, it sounds like a pretty ok course of action. I would also throw Rune Soldier Louie as a recommendation since, like Slayers and Konosuba, its main concern is the funnies.

Same caveat that a bunch of things for both series haven't aged super-well but they are overall fairly watchable/enjoyable. :)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Revolution/Evolution-R is weird because while there is one sub-arc which is lifted directly from the novels (across 2 novels, Volume 5 and 6 if memory doesn't completely fail me, even), it's mostly its own thing. But yeah, Slayers and NEXT only adapted stuff from the novels up to Volume 8.

Also of note is that, if you're coming from the novels to the anime or vice-versa, you're bound to get weirded out by their respective pacing and some changes. Like, it's nothing super terrible, but like the first book is covered in detail in the first 10 episodes, but then volume 2 takes only 4 and then the rest of the season is kind of like a mishmash of Volume 3 and 4.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You're right on that account. :dance:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
While Tanjirou has a lot of traits that are very common for the average Weekly Shounen Jump MC, there is a moment at the end of the... Swamp Demon arc, if I don't misremember? where the former fiancé of one of the demon's victims gets all mad about Tanjirou not arriving sooner to avoid the tragedy and how he could never understand what he's going through because Tanjirou is just this little brat (he's like 14 or 15 at this point, I think?).

And Tanjirou, bless his dadgum heart, offers a sober, if not downright wistful smile that tells you everything you need to know about the boi, and suddenly the dude gets it. The dude understands that Tanjirou's had some awful, awful poo poo happen to him, but he's still soldiering on, because he's trying to get somethin' going for himself (and Nezuko, obv, but mourning dude don't need to know that last tidbit). I honestly got a little misty-eyed with that scene.

I've been keeping up with the manga for like a year and a half now, but I decided to also watch the anime, and I honestly think it elevates the material from the first few volumes to a pretty nice place, so I'm excited to see Ufotable continue with the adaptation to the end. Also, here's the anime thread if you wish to also post your thoughts there. :)

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TenementFunster posted:

yeah i’ve heard as much from other tittybaby dub-watching casuals :smug:

me and the rest of The Lost Otaku have never heard him speak before
Some dubs are great, fam.

RareAcumen posted:

I didn't mean to come off like I thought Tanjirou's empathy was a negative or anything I was more just caught off guard on how far it goes for the whole show and never stops.
Oh, I never thought you were being negative. I just love gushing about how good a boy he is. Part of what sealed the deal for me is just how great of a job Natsuki Hanae did in bringing Tanjirou's kindness to the screen. :3:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 13, 2019