Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
It's my last Winter before having a kid in May. Hope we get some snow and I can actually travel somewhere this year.

Edit: also whiskeymilitia.com got merged into steepandcheap so you can delete that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

S&C owns. I have all sorts of assorted stuff I’ve got there for dirt cheap.

Just today I received boxer briefs with a grizzly bear on them so I'm pretty much the coolest now.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Residency Evil posted:

I remember the first time I went back to Seven Springs after skiing out west.

I haven't been back to Seven Springs.

It's super hard dragging my rear end to Wisp even though my parents live near there so I always have a place with a hot tub to stay overnight. I mean, if they actually get snow then sure. They cleared out the brush in a bunch of the forests a year or two ago but I've yet to see snow deep enough you could actually ride in the trees.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

HookShot posted:

Yeah, I was on the October 24th episode. It's on DailyMotion for anyone who wants to see. I didn't exactly go around announcing it everywhere and somehow game shows never naturally entered the conversation in the skiing thread haha.

Hey you beat a dude from Gaithersburg, MD. He could have come home and used that money to... I dunno, help us with our MS-13 problem?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I've always gone to Jackson Hole in late Jan early Feb, and haven't been since 2015. Any idea what it might be like this year in mid-Jan or historically is that a decent time to go? I've got a 50/50 record the six times I've been of it being good, so I figure whenever I go it'll just dump powder the second I leave anyway.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Kids???

In this economy??

Speaking of kids our is due in May, so I decided to do one final Jackson Hole trip January 6-12 with two friends. If it's disappointing lack of snow like it has been three times before I will regret it the rest of my life. If it's amazing snow like it's been three times before, I'll consider myself a winner for ending on a 4:3 powder to crap ratio and will change as many poopy diapers as I have to, clinging to memories of fresh pow turns.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
2,000lbs has gotta be well above average per gondola, and if they're doing that for every car then the system as a whole has got to be way way over any real-world scenario they'd encounter, right?

edit: by "every" i mean half

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

bawfuls posted:

Park riding after 30: not even once

(I was bad at it as a youth anyway tho)

I hit 40 this year and fully intend to continue always being the oldest dude in the park. I mean, I WANT to be in the trees grabbing the powder no one else is stupid enough to try to get after all the good powder is chopped up, but if any park features are on my way to the base they're getting hit.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Heading to Jackson on Sunday to be riding Mon-Fri. Hope the forecast improves as it looks like a total of 2-6 inches the whole week.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

HookShot posted:

I think it's more the people that don't understand that avy control is a thing that's done every single day and is most of the reason why people don't die every year going down The Saddle and instead just want to get in MAH POWDAH on blue runs straight away.

I had to think about this for a second since I'm from the east coast where every inbound closure is due to too little snow, not too much.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Got back last night from four days at Jackson Hole then one at Grand Targhee. Hadn't been since early 2015 and man have prices jacked up. I paid $28 for bison meatloaf at the Mangy Moose the first night so after that we usually went into town. Had 13" of fresh snow the night we arrived but garbage visibility, so some nice slow but floaty runs on Monday, then good vis Tuesday-Thursday, getting into trees and a bit out of bounds for fresh lines. Then 5" more the night before Targhee which made for tons of untracked lines since the place is just so wide with fewer people. Good times, but I'm definitely feeling my age at 40 with a lot less desire to jump off large things.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Well, as expected my Jackson Hole trip early January was probably the only resort snowboarding I'd get in this year. Lots to be done with a kid on the way plus the local resorts are pretty trash again. We did however get a few inches of snow today, and after clearing the driveway I finally made a little jump off our retaining wall after living here for two years but never getting enough snow. Enjoy my 90 year old neighbor's 1980's Cavalier in the background.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Hey I made sure to spend 90 seconds shoveling some loose snow to roughly the area I thought I'd land in. These 40 year old knees are hosed either way so I'm just gonna go full accelerationist so I can start getting rad doing wheelchair tricks.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

KoRMaK posted:

This looks like where I grew up. But it probably isn't. Where is it, so I know what other places look like where I grew up.

It's in Gaithersburg, MD. Neighborhood was built in the 50's with every house looking completely different in style and size so that's really the only house that looks like that.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Fifty Three posted:

My buddy was just there yesterday and said conditions were terrible. Lazy grooming and mounds the size of cars.

Fake edit: Forgot he sent me a picture.

Thanks for posting this. This is the first year since 2003 I don't think I'll get to do any snowboarding at all, due to having a baby to take care of. My parents live near Wisp so I always either go there and stay the weekend or just take a day trip to Whitetail, which has been looking pretty crappy on the webcams. Seems like I picked a good year to have a kid because I'm not missing anything. I do hope we just get one medium-size snowstorm at any point so I can set up my homemade rail and build a jump in my yard, but it's been pretty warm and lets see, up to 60 degrees next week so yeah.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Would you settle for a large snowstorm the size of a small snowstorm

No! If it's not gonna be at least medium then just forget it and I can just get started on my Spring yardwork.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Since the only chance I'll have to snowboard this season (after zero last season due to new baby) is the little hill in my yard with a jump off the retaining wall allowing me to do one 360, I would love a pair of step-ins or at least flow bindings. But I certainly wouldn't plunk down significant money for something that if I'm lucky I might get enough snow to do one afternoon this season. I guess the upside to this hell year is that since no one has to drive anywhere, I won't be exhausted from shoveling the driveway before I even get the chance to make a ramp off the wall.

Looks like Liberty and Whitetail's websites have switched to the Vail template since the buyout. No snow yet but Wisp is making snow.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Macnult posted:

I snowboarded a mtb singletrack for the first time ever yesterday at Wisp and I think my life has been changed forever. Nonstop berms and jumps had me feeling like I was on a pump track

I bet snow fixes their decades-long problem of never maintaining the mtb trails so the rain washes away the dirt leaving nothing but loose pebbles. If it weren't for cancelling plans to stay with my parents at Deep Creek due to covid I could be there right now. Last time I did downhill there I saw a bear go into the trail I had just come down while on the lift. Fun! I like their new webcam.

Just got around to watching Light from last March by Shredbots and it's great to see how much tons of drone shots add to these videos, so long as they mix in the static shots of the jumps too.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I always say the Hobacks are my favorite part of Jackson Hole, but watching this natural selection, I wonder if it isn't really the Saratoga Bowl, but I just never remember because almost every time I've been there it's been closed. I remember it being amazing in I think 2011 and 2012 though.

The thing I remember most though is there's a really skinny traverse through the trees at the bottom to get back to where the lifts start, and one time my friend hit a root or something and went tumbling down the mountain to the side, which wasn't too steep and he was fine of course. When he got his bearings and looked up from the snow though, he was way too close to a pretty young moose, which means the mother couldn't be too far away and man did he unstrap and hustle up that hill.

Edit: vv ahh you must be right. I was thinking that had to be the Apres Vous lift

davebo fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Plank Walker posted:

Got a trip to Jackson Hole planned in Feb. Thinking about flying into SLC and driving from there since there's no direct flights, how feasible is that with a rental car? Would give myself a 2-3 day window to work around weather forecasts, otherwise could always just book a flight from SLC to Jackson

I went there for a week seven times and always just did connecting flights. Usually booked a shuttle from airport to the resort area and with the bus to town you don't need a car. Other years had friends living there and rented my own car. That mountain pass to the west does close when conditions get bad so that's a variable that can cost you a day, and it'd probably be a great day on the mountain if it's bad enough to shut down the pass, so you'll have to live with that regret the rest of your life!