Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet
the dusting of snow that showed up on Crystal's mountain cams got rained out by like noon instead of 10AM like it did two days ago, so basically I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the season here in the PNW.

I'm loving this race chat by the way. My career extended to painting my helmet red and blue one gate at a time at Wachusett back in high school, so it's cool to have some actual insight into this stuff!

*PUNCH* fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet
The "places to buy stuff" section in the OP should probably include Corbett's (https://www.corbetts.com mostly useful for Americans, they had some ridiculous deals over the summer, haven't looked at what's on right this second) and also just link to the TGR thread for Sierra Trading Post deals.

Brought to mind because whenever I've seen a S&C discount I've been able to find something 5% deeper somewhere else.

Crystal is bare this morning. The soaked soul cries out; the heavens darken; and yet nought falls but rain, endless rain. O great Tahoma, mock not this flesh and blood but grant us mercy!

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

ImplicitAssembler posted:

That is about a million times more interesting that the standard 'lets spin like a top over the biggest jump possible'.

I feel like if I met a park like this I might actually be inclined to dip in and learn a thing to two... it looks way more fun and less high-consequence than the formal comp stuff, and I'm one of those weirdos that's comfortable doing side hits but gets weird with a lot of hangtime. Also, yeah, way less boring.

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

Eejit posted:

I was about to say, one of a beater's greatest sources of consternation is how to transport skis

To wit: https://www.aspentimes.com/news/old-snowmass-carbondale-entrepreneurs-pitch-ski-related-device-on-abcs-shark-tank/

"Further, before aspiring entrepreneurs even reach the sharks, they must endure meetings with 10 executive producers and attorneys."

Allen said "Shark Tank" producers told him that Ski-Z's five-month turnaround time from audition to air was "one of the fastest" they had seen.

So basically - on the show's books, the gauntlet here costs far more in labor than these people ultimately received in investment. Normal business, TV is almost as normal as skiing, very normal, very cool

Anyway models suck, Europe sucks, everything sucks, there's no snow in the PNW yet but I will cop to basically always carrying my skis with my shoulder between the toe and heel pieces, because poo poo balances nicely like that and there's less to swing behind me, and gently caress it, it's been too long since I've carried like a dipshit, where the gently caress is my season god dammit. I miss carrying skis and that is a hosed up thing to miss

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet
I’ve got the chance to hit crystal tomorrow, I’m super excited, but a little worried that it’s gonna be coreshot city with so much fresh and absolutely no base. My guess is that this snow is gonna fall heavy, which helps, but I’m not sure how cautious I should be...

Also, hahahahaha my legs are a joke right now and I’m in no way ready for a pow day

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

xylo posted:

I'll be at crystal tomorrow and I'm expecting you'll probably only want to hit downhill and queens area mostly. Green valley might be okay but that's iffy - and if it is, that will be tracked in less then 2 hours.

e: scratch that. queens and rex won't be open. you'll have green valley, chinook and the gondola looks like. means you'll probably have to hike back from green valley to the gondola to get back down still :( and yeah rock ski still highly advised.

btw, I went skiing just over a week ago and did some hiking from the top of chinook to the runs just above it (upper arwine -> deer fly/ferk's) and yeah it was coreshot city for certain. I don't expect that to change tomorrow -- especially if you have to download on the gondola still.

Too bad about the queen - and kinda surprising honestly - but it is what it is I guess. Probably good luck to ease myself back in rather than throw myself down brain damage on day 2.

Blue coat, blue backpack, gray pants, black helmet, probably some old Cham 1’s. Say hi!

edit: Trip report: it's good folks. Ended up breaking out the new boards and didn't even coreshot. Way better than I expected! Had a fun morning choppin' crud, moguling, lapping the low groomers and generally remembering what I'm doing. Once they opened snorting elk bowl (which I also wasn't expecting) I just lapped that and reaped the powder harvest until my legs gave out. Nice, heavy, base-building snow, the kind I like to see this time of year. I had really low expectations but it turned out to be a really solid day all around. Really, really nice season opener!

*PUNCH* fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 13, 2018

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet
Crystal is FIRING OFF. Unstable outta bounds but this must’ve been one of my best mornings on skis

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

xylo posted:

Was at Crystal all day today. All out of bounds is pretty much all off limits right now. But in bounds was really good. Great day. Going to go up again tomorrow. I need to get more days in until we get another blocking high that fucks us for two months.

I think this is going to be the status quo for some time, NWAC’s report this morning had every region redzoned for like every kind of slide, and this stuff is gonna take time to settle. Nothing wrong with some low-angle woods though. And I’ve got no fear of coreshots aside from the top of chair 6 at this point either. Have fun out there!

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet
Chair 6, southback and Northway are all closed today. Tomorrow will be the banner day I think, hope you can make it!

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

Question Mark Mound posted:

Cheers! Checked them out and the prices seem decent. Ended up getting the gloves and jacket from other sites (cheaper jacket elsewhere and gloves sold out on the place I linked) but since I have a long time between now and my next trip, I'll check out Sportpursuit every so often for the other items.

Setups are best built over time, and duct-taped in time after that. Good call. Plenty of summer discounts to be had in a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

George H.W. oval office posted:

What are the best sites to pick up gear during the summer sales? As a Texas skier that's looking to put more time on the slopes every year it's finally time I got something proper instead of the stuff I've scavenged from Goodwill.

The links in the OP are all pretty good, in addition I'd shoutout Corbett's, https://www.corbetts.com/ which can be pretty sweet for Americans because of the exchange rate arbitrage from Canadian (just got bindings from them.) I can also second Evo as a drat fine shop. Be sure to look up and obsess over hard goods at https://blisterreview.com/.

I've never done the wax-cake thing either, I'm always sure to just have some wax on my skis before summer comes. Sofar there's never been a problem. Spring snow on unwaxed skis is a painful experience anyway so the two usually go hand in hand. I do feel like an rear end in a top hat, though; I'm good enough and obsessed enough at this sport that you'd think I'd get with the program and be obsessed with wax, too. Somehow it never stuck.