Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm super excited that ski/snowboard season is here again. My kids are ski racing again this season and it's their 8th season of skiing/6th season of race development. Riding with the kids is so awesome especially now that they can ski most terrain. However, that near catastrophic training accident one of the kids had last season was super sobering. She could have died and last season one kid from a team in PA did die
Last year we did trips to Quebec and Montana. Not sure we can do much travel this year but we'll try to do at least one trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’ll be getting to experience skiing in PA this season. I’m sure it’ll be willllllld
I ride in NJ so I know your pain. Still, I love riding and it's great having my local resort an easy 50 minute drive away. I am out there every day I can be and it allows me to get 40-50 days every year. Even a terrible conditions day beats not riding. It's really what you make of it. A ton of my friends won't ski nor ride here and only ski when they travel out west so they end up getting like 7 days a year and never really improve.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

It’s a good point. I’m one of those people currently since I have to travel by plane to ski. I think the best place people mentioned near where I’ll be at Peek’n Peak, which has 25 runs and some blacks. I think someone also mentioned Holiday Valley if I want to drive a little further. Definitely better than nothing. Where do you ski from NJ?
Mountain Creek NJ since my kids are on the ski racing team there. It's one of the closest places to NYC so it can get insanely crowded for such a small place. Season ticket holders get on the lifts an hour early on weekends and weekdays are empty so if I manage things well I can duck most of the worst crowds.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Moot . posted:

Darn Tough Socks > Smartwool Socks

Fight me.
My kids keep stealing my Darn Tough socks.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I know The Good Ride doesn't have a good reputation for reviews but I didn't think much about it until I just saw their most recent review of the Gentemstick XY, a board I own. They said that the tail would wash out and it wouldn't hold an edge and was much better in powder. I have no loving idea what board they rode.

Their review
https://thegoodride.com/snowboard-reviews/gentemstick-xy-2019-snowboard-review/

Me on the XY last season on east coast hardpack

Some random guy not washing out
https://vimeo.com/209492639

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

My quiver this year is the Never Summer Chairman 2018 (freeride daily driver), Gentemstick XY 2018 (versatile pow board) and Amplid UNW8 2015 (stiff but energetic camber deck for groomer days). My Burton Custom Twin 2016 is on loan and my K2 Carveair isn't probably going to get ridden this year.

I absolutely don't need any more boards but still want one. Oddly enough, I'm leaning toward very traditional directional twin camber boards these days instead of all the fancy shapes and volume shift boards. I'm pretty interested in the Nitro Suprateam. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on it. Or any other recommendations. i was also looking at the Nitro Beast, the Yes Optimistic and Nitro Squash. (I know you love the Optimistic highme)

Yuns fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 10, 2018

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I'm super excited for the beginning of the northeast/midatlantic season. I've dropped from 240 lbs at 35%+ percent body fat last season to 150 lbs at about 8% now so it's going to be interesting to see how all my snowboards ride when I'm 90 lbs lighter. Landing jumps is going to be way way easier on my body now though.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to it. Only minus is having to wear a better midlayer now that I don't have a thick layer of natural fat like a walrus to keep me warm.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Moot . posted:

drat. That’s impressive. What did you do to your diet? My winter coat seems to be showing up earlier and earlier.
It was simple but not easy.

Food is 90% of it and exercise only 10%
The fundamental principle of any diet is calories in calories out.
You can do this with a normal diet, keto, veganism etc.

1. Track all my calories using MyFitnessPal App. Everything that I eat has to be tracked.
2. Calculated base metabolism rate (BMR), minimum calories needed if you are total immobile, and total daily energy expenditure (TDEE), calories burned per day. My BMR is about 1500 and TDEE about
2800-2900. When calculating BMR and TDEE use sedentary settings of you are an office worker for general level of activity and the proper exercise level separately.
3. Choose a calorie limit and deficit based on TDEE that gives you about a 7000 calorie a week deficit (2 lbs per week). I actually chose closer to a 3-4 pound deficit Mine was a limit of 1500 calories so about 1300-1400 per day deficit.
4. Stick to the calorie limit every day.
5. No cheat meals; no cheat days
6. Get a food scale for home and one for the office and measure everything for calorie tracking. Don't eyeball and guess. You can be off by 20-40%.
7. Do not increase your calorie limit based on your exercise that day. You will not burn as many calories as you think and so can easily eat more than you burned.
8. No alcohol
9. Get 1 to 1.2 grams of protein per pound of GOAL body weight. I needed to eat a lot of egg white, fish and drink a lot of why shakes to do this
10. Get a normal multivitamin and calcium supplement
11. Rest of calories can be divided between fats and carbs as you see fit
12. Avoid sugars, breads, pastas etc and try to get carbs from vegetables (can have some small amount of rice or sweet potato or oats)
13. If you gently caress up don't try to severely restrict calories the next day to make up for it or simply give up for the day. Just immediately stop loving up and get back to the plan immediately.
14. If you hit the limit for the day stop eating.. No matter when.
15. Black coffee and diet soda with caffeine helped me out when I couldn't eat
16. You can socialize without eating or drinking. Just because food is there, doesn't mean you have to have it.
17. Don't get pressured into eating crap and get comfortable with turning down food
18. You will feel hungry. This is false hunger. People eat continuously and are used to having stomachs that are never empty. As a result they feel hunger when they have an empty stomach even if food is still being digested in the small intestine. Learn to recognize real hunger and false hunger.
19. Lift regularly to preserve muscle mass; cardio isn’t critical but find an activity that you like to do. For me that was BJJ and snowboarding.

I half assed it from fall of last year to April and went from 240 to 227 in like 4-6 months. I got serious and came up with my plan on April 21 at 227 and dropped to 150 by mid-November.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 16, 2018

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

You can actually use my plan with alcohol but you still need to make the calorie limits and protein requirements which is hard to do if you are drinking a lot. You also have to avoid snacking while drinking unless you count all the calories and fit them in your limits.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

drat that sucks. Was it a low coverage issue?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I have just bought the most obnoxiously loud, highlighter orange ski pants today. I am now 100% Broncos colors.
I'm making my daughter wear blue leopard pattern ski pants this year because they were on sale. She hates them. Am I a bad parent or the worst parent?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Got a late start to the season but got in 4 days this week. I'm more than 95 lbs lighter than last season so my burly freeride boards are pretty interesting to ride now. I can't be lazy about loading them up now but I can still drive them pretty hard even at this weight. I also ordered a left over 2017 Nitro Pantera SC because I'm a glutton for punishment.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Got a leftover Nitro Pantera SC 163 (from 2017 the last year for the SC version). It is 1.5 cm of pure uncut camber and super stiff with tons of rebound. Can't wait to get it out this weekend.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Heal up soon spwrozek! Hope that you are back out there soon.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Rated PG-34 posted:

Haven’t done any east coast riding yet, but looking at the snow reports, it seems p dire. Anyone been out?
Midatlantic is loving dire right now. I have 4 days in in NJ and we've had too much rain. Almost no trails open. Total WROD conditions. The temps should drop this week and allow snowmaking. Northern Vermont seems to be doing fine. Southern Vermont got some rain.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

ironlung posted:

Describe these stomach aches. I have had this weird lower left abdominal pain for years, very dull that comes and goes, even went to the doc for it and they said it was because of eating too much dairy (cutting out dairy did nothing). Nothing alarming/irregular with my poops tho.
I had horrible stomach pain for years that I thought were ulcers or acid reflux and it turned out to be gallstones. I ended up getting my gallbladder removed.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I've gotten tired of the gimmicky Just One of Those Days videos but I don't get tired of seeing Candide throw down like this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsdbldXC-1K/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I managed to ring my bell today. I hit a drop created by snowmaking but didn't see a second much larger drop behind the first, and slammed the back of my head into hardpack on the second drop. I always wear a helmet and didn't lose consciousness or get sleepy or nauseous, but I had a sore neck and didn't feel awesome. I took a half hour break then was back riding but pretty conservatively because I didn't want to hit my head a second time in the same day.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

My home mountain in NJ is nothing but hockey jerseys and NFL team jackets as far as the eye can see.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

LostCosmonaut posted:

c'mon gfs verify just this once
Already have a hotel reserved for the weekend at my home mountain even though I'm relatively local so I don't have to fight bad roads or MLK traffic. Here's hoping.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

drat it. We are on the rain line of this storm. Looks like we will just get a ton of freezing rain.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

It turned out to be good in Nj even with the rain. The rain kept everyone away and we didn't lose too much of the new snow. So no crowds and good conditions considering the circumstances. I got a lot of runs in.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

spwrozek posted:

I am either in a Patagonia powder bowl or the black diamond dawn patrol. Both are great jackets and worth the cost. Heck the Patagonia one is my second jacket, the first I had for three seasons and a seam came apart, the second I got for free. In it for $230...
I got an insulated Patagonia Powder Bowl on sale for this season and I love it. Plus it's way cheaper than the Patagonia Powder Slayer.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Spent the day back up timing a U16/U19 ski race. I love supporting racing but standing outside for 5 hours writing down times while everyone else gets to enjoy skiing/riding wasn't that fun. I did however get to ride down the closed race runs since I was volunteering.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

We had a memorial race for Hedda, the young ski racer we lost to cancer last year. The resort and ski team put together this nice video from the day. It was an amazing day.
https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156180620761938&id=8641466937

Yuns fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 12, 2019

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Spime Wrangler posted:

Just capped five days in Wyoming and Montana with babby’s first laps on slaschman’s at Bridger Bowl. Incredibly legit terrain, it’s amazing it’s inbounds.
Bridger is one of my favorite places and its amazing to have an inbounds lift serviced area in which you need a beacon.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Fifty Three posted:

Is that the resort where the entitled moron didn't read the trail map properly and ended up on YouTube screaming for his money back?
Yes! Also, Bridger is also really a locals mountain. It's run by a local non-profit organization set up to run it. Not a ton of amenities, low prices and tons of locals with most of the tourists going to Big Sky instead. I love the vibe at Bridger.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

A guy at Heavenly just went head down into powder in the glades and died just 100 feet from a trail. Can't tell from the article if it was a tree well or he just literally took a header into deep pow and got stuck.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/02/19/missing-seaside-man-found-dead-in-snow-at-heavenly-valley-ski-resort/

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

HookShot posted:

I had a total yard sale and broke a rib on the first run of the day, so that's me out for a few weeks.

First ever toboggan ride down the mountain!
Sorry to hear that HookShot. Popped/broken ribs are rough because it's so painful to stretch, breathe, laugh etc. Hope you recover soon!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

My daughter is on the cusp of qualifying for northeast regionals (Gunstock) to represent the state in skiing but she has a sleepover at her best friends place before the last qualifying race of the season. If she misses the race, she will miss out on the points and won't qualify. I really want her to do the race, but I don't want to be an rear end in a top hat sports dad and I want her to have a normal social life so against my own instincts I'm letting her skip the last ski race of the year to spend time with friends. (The last race is a slalom race, her best event, too.)

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 23, 2019

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

HookShot posted:

If it makes you feel any better their results at that age literally do not matter at all.

I know one girl who has now quit ski racing and goes to university who used to say that one of the highlights of her life is being able to say that she used to beat a current member of Canada's national team back when they were both in U14.

I also know another one who is on track to at least do NCAA if not make the national team who came in dead last in her very first race, back in U14. She's now Canada's U19 GS champion.
Thanks for the reassurance and the perspective e. I know that U12 results don't mean anything. I just want them to love skiing not hate it so my decisions are affected by that.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

il serpente cosmico posted:

I just read that a skier died in a tree well at Timberline today, though, which is really terrible :/
Hate to hear that. A 9 year old.from Massachusetts just died at Big Sky by impacting a tree and falling into a tree well. Death was due to impact injuries.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Rain plus warm weather is keeping people away from NJ. Literally 12 people on South today! This rules.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

HookShot posted:

I like Bogner
I didn't realize you were a rich Russian hookshot. :/

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

HookShot posted:

Boy did you have to go back to the start of this thread for that post!
Was reading an old page accidentally but I regret nothing.

To add actual ski/snowboard content, I'm doing a long term demo of a new for 2020 board, the Never Summer East. This is Never Summer's new east coast conditions/boardercross board. It is hybrid camber, Never Summer ripsaw RCR camber but has extended camber zones with a super long effective edge right out to the blunt low rise tip and tail. It also has a new faster race base. It's meant to be a BX board or ice/hardpack east coast board. It carves incredibly and is surprisingly fun. I can get my butt skimming the ground on heel side turns and hand drag on toe side turns. It's so fast too.

The middle rocker gives it some playfulness that the full camber bx boards lack. It's way more fun than you would expect from its stats on paper. I'm definitely buying one.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 27, 2019

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

HookShot posted:

Yeah, letting her go to the sleepover is 100% the correct choice.
I let her go to the sleepover and not race but she asked to be picked up early in the morning from the sleepover so that she could go race today. She improved in points and standing but we won't know until final state standings come out if she's qualified for post season racing.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

One of my daughters missed out on regionals by just one spot, but I'm still super proud of her. She fell on her last slalom run of the season. If she hadn't, she would have made it but I prefer she push herself like that and fall rather than play it safe. She was able to walk back to make the gate but it killed her time. They were invited instead to a invitational development camp as the next tier down. It's going to be a lot of fun.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

We need easier access to Nokian Hakkapeliitta Studded in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Kinda like heliskiing but different

https://www.facebook.com/Amplid/posts/10161429264400384