Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Just booked a flight out to visit a friend for their birthday. 3 day ski weekend :toot:

Hope the avy situation out Breck/Keystone simmers down a bit, but keep stacking that pow.

3rd trip to Breck this year, still just as pumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
is that going to negatively affect your skiing this year?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Breck was nice today. Looking forward to riding 3 more bluebird days!

I'll be solo Mon & Tuesday if anyone is in the area and wants to goonski. Have Epic, will travel (anywhere by bus!)

Caught some of the Big Mountain event this afternoon really cool watching some of the junior kids send some awesome looking lines!

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 17, 2019

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Moey posted:

The Breck gondola (from town to base of 8) isn't long enough to do this. :(

It's definitely is, without the two midpoint stops :mad:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Mister Speaker posted:

Came here to post about this, if we're thinking of the same thing. It was some cocky fighter pilot in Switzerland or Italy or something accidentally cutting a gondola cable and killing everyone aboard, right?

Marine EA-6B, Italian resort.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
colorado having their first winter, soon to be followed by autumn then real winter, spring and spring winter.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Good for them for cutting the CEO and board salary to $0.

Shame on them for not cutting the rest of the executive's salaries to $0.

Listen it's not like they're all going to give themselves retroactive back pay and raises for their suffering and sacrifices through all this.

gently caress Vail.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Shot: I bought my season pass last week

Chaser: at least I'm not giving money to Vail this year

sorry in advance to everyone for your cancelled ski season(s)

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Did Vail announce something I missed?

No I'm just thankfully not paying a Vail owned hill this year.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Bought some new boots (Nordica promachine 120's) and picked up a pair of K2 Mindbender 99ti's on clearance today. Will probably have to find a pair of better powder skis mid-season when it starts [hopefully] dumping.

Hype is building.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Touring goons, is it a dick move to do uphill travel on snowshoes? Local mountain doesn't open until Dec 7th, but is allowing uphill on the normal route(s) and downhill through the resort.

I don't own an AT setup and was just going to pack my skis and boots up and take an early run down from mid-mountain tomorrow morning.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I want to pick up something better for deeper powder as an all-mountain ski, not super sold on full backcountry yet this year but having the options would be nice.

Heard good thing about the 4FRNT Hoji's. Anything to convince me otherwise?

I have a pair of K2 Mind Benders for groomer days, but found them a little harder to control in powder than I was expecting.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

casque posted:

Which mind benders do you have? The Hoji sounds like a pretty demanding ski. Maybe get a set of Pon200ns for the deep days?

The 99's. Last year's model I bought them new this year after riding demo Rossi 88ti's all last year strictly on resort (Breck & Keystone).

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

casque posted:

Nice. I would keep those and get some Pon2oons for powder.

Out of curiosity, how did demoing Rossi 88ti's lead to you purchasing the K2s? How many days do you have on the K2s you bought this year? And how deep was the snow you were having trouble with?

I went into a local store to buy some 88ti's and walked out with a pair of MindBenders after talking to the fitting guy for 45 mins about what I was looking for.

casque posted:

Haha, maritime snowpack and BD Gigawatt skier here.

If he can't handle a little of that light Colorado pow on some Mindbender 99s, which are an incredibly forgiving ski that's also capable of high performance, going to something like a Hoji that is more demanding of a skier is probably not a good idea. If the problem is being able to ski in powder, a true powder ski will make that easier.

I'm actually back home in the PNW Cascades (Bachelor) now, I misspoke earlier when I said "last season" and meant the season prior to the COVID resort helldeath mk 1 season. For various logistical reasons, it was easier, faster (and cheaper) for me to fly out to Colorado and crash at a friends place in Colorado Springs and ski Breck & Keystone, than it was to drive to Tahoe. :shrug:

casque posted:

Nice. I would keep those and get some Pon2oons for powder.

Out of curiosity, how did demoing Rossi 88ti's lead to you purchasing the K2s? How many days do you have on the K2s you bought this year? And how deep was the snow you were having trouble with?

It was variable 4-8" and I had just snowshoed up to mid-mountain to take some early turns and kick the tires so to speak on the new boots and skis. Definitely need to get dialed in on them, fatigue was a factor for sure in my less than amazing 1st run of the season.
[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback and alternatives to consider.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Local mountain is already completely booked for parking reservations through March.

Certainly love buying a season pass and not being able to use it.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Put a nice gash in my new pants after only 10 days in them this season.

Guess I'll have to see if Arc'teryx will repair them?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Bring on the snow :getin:

We're supposed to get 6-8ft in the next 5 days

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
West Coast Update

Fri: Trace
Sat: 2-4"
Sun: 4-8"
Mon: 1-3"
Tues: Trace

7-15" in late April?

Bachelor is in its spring death throes and I'm supposed to break out my powder skis again?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
It is pond skim season, so send it

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
https://www.summitdaily.com/news/vail-resorts-marketing-officer-to-take-over-as-ceo-as-rob-katz-moves-into-executive-board-role/

Katz is "out" and they're bringing in the marketing guru to helm the ship.

I for one look forward to zero improvement other than a :10bux: off my next food purchase.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
is it snowing anywhere yet?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Logo owns, name owns. Good work everyone

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
that's what happens when you cant hire south american and australian kids on summer holidays on h2b and j1 visas (or the canadian equiv) and stack them 8 to a room for $10/hr

how's rob katz supposed to afford this winters new jeans to ski in

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
It snowed on the mountain today. GET HYPE

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
gently caress you powdr.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

highme posted:

Nice, gonna have to hit someone up for one, those new magnet Squad things look rad.

They are, I bought a pair as backups last year and they served me well

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
My Oakley Flight decks change themselves, usually when I need them not to :argh:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
4FRNT Raven 177 rider checking in, skis own. Using them as my resort/side country skis because I'm too lazy to uphill. They're pretty playful skis, little loose at high-speed and don't bite on the edge super hard until you really lay them over, but they will turn on a dime in the trees and ride powder all day.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 30, 2021

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
https://www.vaildaily.com/news/vail-resorts-announces-acquisition-of-seven-springs-hidden-valley-and-laurel-mountain-ski-areas/

Vail Resorts announced Wednesday it has agreed to purchase Seven Springs Mountain Resort in Pennsylvania from Seven Springs Mountain Resort, Inc.

Vail Resorts will also acquire Hidden Valley Resort and the operations of Laurel Mountain Ski Area as part of the deal. The approximated $125 million purchase price includes the three ski areas, a hotel, conference center and other related operations.

Rob Katz still skis in jeans

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Bachelor just posted they're opening Monday the 13th. Weird to open on a Monday but ok. I also planned a trip for the weekend after so... Guess I'm gonna have to get some mid-week laps in.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Day 2 in at Bachelor. Put up two laps today in between meetings and then decided to leave. There's at least 3 Southern California ski clubs up here right now, they're all wearing matching jerseys and I can't think of a goofier thing to ski/board in.

They're still only spinning 2 lifts despite the 4ft+ of new snow they've gotten since Friday. Kind of glad now that I'll be out of town for opening weekend, but I got to ride some early season powder alone. :toot:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Only one chair open yesterday, same story today.. They told all of lift ops to stay home yesterday and had supes running the show.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I wish the people in Washington that are pissed about their lovely ski resort situation(s) would stay the gently caress there and put some pressure on their resorts to unfuck themselves instead of coming to Oregon and complaining about how bad the lines and traffic are here.

Getting real old listening to people bitch about that stuff on lifts. That said I have yet to see someone using the new FastTracks line that hasn't gotten booed by the rest of the lift maze, I hope that energy continues.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Are you at Bachelor? I hear they are down one of the lifts indefinitely? That has got to hurt the line situation. Also super gently caress FastTracks.

Yeah Bachelor. Skyliner is turbofucked and they flew a team in from Doppelmayr to tell them it was turbofucked and they'd need to custom machine replacement parts.

This lift served basically all of race dev and 80% of the terrain parks on the mountain so they're moving all the parks to other places on the mountain and cannibalizing runs, which... Cool for people that like park but it's seriously taking away another 4-5 runs from general use so, ugh.

Fake edit: the beginner terrain parks are served by another double lift that iirc hasn't even opened this year and is "down for maintenance" as well. Who knows what the gently caress is going on there.

I'm a bit grumpy as my girlfriend is learning to ski this year and terrain progression wise, the few blue runs off the turbofucked quad would be the next logical step for her, but they're not available. Hard to throw her into the deep end and say "good luck, sorry the beginner terrain here sucks!"

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

If I recall from my 5 or 6 trips to Bachelor Skylines can get a bit of a line during busy days. And also seems to be a lift that really enables traverse from the two sides of the mountain easily.

That is fair, you can make it to Outback from Skyliner with a bit of creative traversing, and Cloudchaser no problem.

highme posted:

You know what Bachelor really doesn’t need? Parks before March 1st.

:five:

I'm cool if they want to keep the XL features for their early season comps

But having to close both lifts serving the terrain parks this early in the season just smacks of deferred maintenance problems.

edit: replacing image

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 18, 2022

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Didnt they just recently build the dream/cloud/fogchaser lift at bachelor? I was underwhelmed by said lift and the fact that they've also had issues on what was it, outback? Northwest? Makes me wonder why the gently caress they built a new lift instead of fixing the ones that are falling apart

Oh wait, I know why. Powdr corp.

Cloudchaser was opened in 2016, and yeah.. they haven't been able to run Outback or Skyliner at full speed for years because as you pointed out .. Powdr Corp.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
glove chat: hestra helis (gauntlet) representing, spendy but worth it, I own two pairs and am buying my gf a pair of the mittens don't know why you'd want mittens for skiing but it's her choice!

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

waffle enthusiast posted:

I broke down and bought the Blue Quill Angler collab Nomad 105s. Are they too wide for packed powder? Maybe. Are they kinda heavy? Yup. Are they the right length? Who knows. Are the topsheets absolute goddamn fire? You bet your rear end they are.

Where's the picture you heathen

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

They are closing the tram at snowbird in April to replace the cabins. This means that once snow coverage has gotten bad at the base, they will close for the season (rather than use the tram to access the high terrain into may).

loving powdrcorp

at least your lifts work, ours are hosed. Skyliner they finally admitted is dead for the season, Outback seems to poo poo the bed and go down every other weekend for an hour or more (not a weather hold), but a hard stop with people on it. Cloudchaser (our newest lift) had at least 6 hard stops two weekends ago and required lift maintenance to come out and smash things around with a wrench for 20 minutes.

"At least we're not Vail" -- Powdr Corp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

At least Vail has not done the loving fast pass yet. Out of curiosity, I heard that only certain lifts at Bachelor got the fastpass, I imagine Skyliner was one of them?

They put them on Little Pine, Pine Martin, Red, Outback, NWX, Summit, Skyliner (lmao), Sunrise & Cloudchaser so.. that's basically all of the lifts. The beginner progression lifts didn't get them so that leaves Early Riser, Rainbow & Alpenglow. I've only ever seen like 6 people on the prog lifts so.. why bother, there's never a line.